[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Yes, I am proposing that a major comic book institution change
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: 748442-iron_fist_006_016.jpg (376 KB, 1188x1056) Image search: [Google]
748442-iron_fist_006_016.jpg
376 KB, 1188x1056
>Yes, I am proposing that a major comic book institution change the race of one of its popular characters as it transitions to a new form of media. In this case, I want Marvel Studios to cast an Asian American actor to play the lead in the upcoming Iron Fist show it is developing for Netflix. It seems logical enough to me, though as always, there are fans who are urging Marvel to resist changing his race.

>Now, I know the topic of cross-racial casting has come up time and time again here at The Nerds of Color. And while there are a contingent of fans who don’t think such things matter — or worse, are vehemently opposed to such casting choices — I can’t help thinking that Iron Fist gives Marvel a chance to add even more diversity to its interconnected cinematic universe. Not to mention that this is a case where changing the race of the character has the potential to actually add layers of depth to the story of said character.

>First, let’s get a couple of misconceptions out of the way. My call for an Asian American Iron Fist is not meant to displace Danny Rand from the story. It is, in fact, the opposite. In my mind, casting a young Asian American in the lead role does nothing to change his classic origin: He can still be the son of a wealthy businessman. He can still accompany his family on an expedition to seek out K’un L’un. He can still train under Lei Kung, the Thunderer. He can still seek revenge against the man who killed his father. Danny being Asian American precludes none of these things.
>>
>What does change, however, in making Danny non-white is that it removes the white savior syndrome of the original story. In the comics, it turns out Danny is the most gifted student Lei Kung had ever trained. Because of course he is. For all the fans who might decry an Iron Fist racebend, do you really want yet another white-guy-is-better-at-being-Asian-than-the-Asians story? But if Danny is Asian American, the scenes of him embracing the ways of K’un-L’un can be viewed through the lens of cultural re-connection. In fact, I’d play up Danny’s rejection of his Asian heritage prior to venturing to China. I know as someone who similarly connected to my cultural heritage later in life, that story would be deeply resonant to me. And you know what would be really dope? If the writers also played up the actual Kunlun Mountains of Chinese mythology on the show.

>It also helps that with essentially a Heroes for Hire show on the horizon, appearances by the Daughters of the Dragon, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight, can’t be that far behind either. If that happens, it’ll be nice to see the romance between Rand and Knight played out on screen as an Asian male/black female relationship. There hasn’t been one of those on television since John Cho and Gabrielle Union played a married couple on the short-lived ABC show Fast Forward.

>There’s also the other argument that says making Iron Fist Asian American is unnecessary because we already have Shang Chi. Well, to that I say, white folk already have Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, Wolverine, Daredevil… I mean, I can keep going.

>Also, while Shang Chi is cool and everything, his inclusion in the Marvel Cinematic Universe won’t increase the number of Asian Americans because Shang’s from China, after all. Plus, he doesn’t have superpowers. Or shoes.
>>
>Speaking of China, it seems that some folks think that cross-racialily casting Iron Fist is a crass pander to the ever-growing Chinese consumer base. My wanting Asian American representation in the Iron Fist character has nothing to do with the marketing demographics of a billion people on the other side of the world. (Also, I don’t think there’s any proof that the Chinese really care how Asian actors are portrayed in American movies anyway). Instead, I want the Marvel Cinematic Universe to reflect the demographics of the real world as much as possible. The Defenders shows on Netflix — with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones representing — is a step in the right direction. But I feel that diversity is all for naught if yet another blue-eyed blonde superhero takes center stage.
>>
>>77751760
>going on tumblr just so you can find things to be angry about
Yes, there are stupid people that want Danny turned into a stereotype. There are plenty of stupid people with shit opinions, that doesn't make what they say matter in the slightest. Just look at /co/, it's filled with people with horrible opinions that don't matter until Rumor Rich turns them into "total legit leak from insider source" articles.
>>
2/10
Danny is white and he's the outsider. Nobody gives a fuck about Orientals
>>
>white-guy-is-better-at-being-Asian-than-the-Asians story?

this is offensive because it assumes us Asians are all good at kung-fu
>>
>replace mighty whitey with asian master of kung-fu
Nice racism
>>
article's over a year old op is just generating controversy where there is none
>>
File: 1443366913791.jpg (27 KB, 640x454) Image search: [Google]
1443366913791.jpg
27 KB, 640x454
nobody can win with Iron Fist casting. The only winning move is not to play.

>white guy cast
This feeds the sterotype of oriental fetishizing that the character was in the 70's! Kung Fu bandwagoning! Whites appropriating asian culture!

>Asian guy cast
This feeds into the stereotype that all asians must be martial arts masters in movies! Tokenism! Only cast for affirmative action! This violates the canon design and its reaffirmation in the Ultimate universe! A chink for chink's sake!

>A black guy is cast
WHO DA MASTAH? WHO DA MASTAH? SHO NUFF, IRON FIST WAS A GOOD BOY, DINDU NUFFIN

>a black asian woman is cast
tumblr® meets Nikki Minaj

As it is, the Ancient One who teaches Dr Strange magic is going to be genderswapped from a man in the comics to a woman.
It's all ogre
>>
>>77752042
Hispanic
>>
>>77751840
White people do.
>>
>>77751771
>It also helps that with essentially a Heroes for Hire show on the horizon, appearances by the Daughters of the Dragon, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight, can’t be that far behind either. If that happens, it’ll be nice to see the romance between Rand and Knight played out on screen as an Asian male/black female relationship. There hasn’t been one of those on television since John Cho and Gabrielle Union played a married couple on the short-lived ABC show Fast Forward.
They've got something against a white guy banging a black chick don't they?
>>
>>77752113
Of course. It's reminder that white men rape black slaves or some shit like that.
But it's progressive when it's black guy and white woman.
>>
>>77751785
>>77751771
>>77751760

Danny is half K'un L'un, he just looks more white than Azn.

Person writing confirmed for never reading comics, as usual.
>>
THEY WANT NO TRABBLE!
>>
>>77752155

Yeah just cast a nixed race actor and emphasize how hard he had to work and his outsiderness it is not that difficult.
>>
>>77752161
>Jackie Chan will never play Danny Rand
>Chris Tucker will never play Luke Cage
Why does it hurt so much?
>>
Literally the first story I ever read with Iron Fist in it had Fat Cobra beating his ass, so I'm not sure how much the "white guy is better at Asian things than Asian people" idea holds.

>>77752113
Which is funny considering how much Tumblr folk love Shonda Rhimes, what with her WM/BW fetish.
>>
>>77752243
Anon, why aren't you using good software to edit the Rush Hour movies into the Marvel movie you want?
>>
>>77752042
Solution: cast an Indian guy
>>
>>77752155
>Danny is half-magic Chinese

Get your shit together, Danny's parents were whiteys.
>>
>>77752042
>As it is, the Ancient One who teaches Dr Strange magic is going to be genderswapped from a man in the comics to a woman
But Ancient One is still a man in the movie. He's just played by Tilda Swinton.
>>
>>77752205
>>77751760
Casting an third generation Asian American or a mixed race person is best choice
>>
>>77752155
wut
Dannys dad was a blonde, white kid abandoned and adopted by Orson and his mom was some white chick.
>>
>>77751760
nigga you got the baby dick or somethin nobody give a fuck
>>
>>77751760
I don't feel like Danny has to be white, but I feel like making him chinese is certainly a step in the wrong direction. would anybody really be interested or care if the first asian protagonist in the MCU is generic asian kung-fu master 5000? no. that justplays into a whole other set of stereotypes and problems.

I think an important aspect of Rand's character is his origins as an outsider. I think if he were hispanic or something, that aspect could easily be conveyed while adding further diversity to the Defenders lineup.
>>
>>77751760

Remember when Marvel's spiderman was TOTALLY GOING TO BE MILES, YOU GUYS
>>
>>77752318
She played Orlando, remember?
>>
>>77752042
I would be fine with that one MMA chick everyone wants as Carol to be cast as Dani Rand.
>>
File: 1401169720887.jpg (22 KB, 286x280) Image search: [Google]
1401169720887.jpg
22 KB, 286x280
>>77751771
>But if Danny is Asian American, the scenes of him embracing the ways of K’un-L’un can be viewed through the lens of cultural re-connection. In fact, I’d play up Danny’s rejection of his Asian heritage prior to venturing to China
Because we're all fucking Chinese right? Or at least similar enough that our cultures are marginally different at best? Go to hell, I ain't no fucking chinaman.
>>
>>77752385
Then stop using Chinese inventions, like Chinese food or ink or gunpowder!
>>
>>77752385
You can always tell someone is a grade a fuckboi when they treat all asians as one ethnicity.
>>
>>77751771
>Asian male/black female relationship
Good. DON'T MIX
>>
>entire point of Danny/Luke is the interracial broteam at a time where that was far less commonplace in media, it was very progressive for the time

>want to change that for skin color bullshit

Eat shit. One of the reasons people loves Power Man/Iron Fist was the black guy and the white guy got equal page-time and relevance in the story.
>>
>>77752434
>implying blasian isn't best mixed race
>>
>>77752297
>>77752322
I vaguely recall Immortal Iron Fist establishing that Danny's dad was from Kun Lun.
>>
>>77751760
>Yes, I am proposing
How come they don't understand that they are not in position to even propose?

All they talk about is what they want and mainly see them changing other people's products, but point of entertainment is showing people what they never knew they wanted.

>hurf durf should I just eat any shit they are throwing at me?
No, just don't pay it for it. Now then they will be interested in what audience has to say.
>>
>>77752434
>>77752446
>implying blasians aren't the interracial equivalent of unicorns
>>
>>77752451
Orson finds him in some Tibetan bar, but not in K'un L'un. I can't remember if they ever explain how he got there
>>
>>77752451
You recall wrong. Danny's dad had been to K'un-Lun similar to Danny. Ended up in K'un-Lun, starts getting trained to be the new Iron Fist, but unlike Danny he dipped out before becoming IF, then spent the rest of his life trying to find his way back and failing.

He was never "from" K'un-Lun, just another blonde haired blue eyed white guy that ended up there.
>>
Just pick someone of mixed race who might be asian, or might be white, and don't make a big deal about his ethnicity in-show. That way everyone's happy.
>>
File: Excaligirl.png (221 KB, 378x355) Image search: [Google]
Excaligirl.png
221 KB, 378x355
I'm probably an SJW faggot by /co/ standards considering how little I give a shit about "racebending". Shit, Heimdellba was awesome. But Iron Fist is like THE whitest dude in all superhero fiction. From a personality & characterization point, not just backstory. I'd rather see black Thor and a Mexican Iron Man than a non-white Danny.
Plus hey; Defenders is already a woman, a minority & a gimp. Could use a token privilegefag.
>>
>>77751771
>But if Danny is Asian American, the scenes of him embracing the ways of K’un-L’un can be viewed through the lens of cultural re-connection.
Canon aside. Comics aside.

This is more racist in a way that he pretty much says Kung Fu is in Asian blood.
>>
>>77752498
>Heimdellba was awesome
Dude, he just appeared for some minutes; Elba himself complained about having to take lots of planes just to film a small appearance.
>>
>>77752523

>one black man in Asgard
>he's the doorman

Bravo Disney
>>
>>77751771
>But if Danny is Asian American, the scenes of him embracing the ways of K’un-L’un can be viewed through the lens of cultural re-connection.

I see people make this comment a lot. Isn't the point of Danny being the white guy in a city of magic asians that he ISN'T like them? Being so obviously not like them serves as an obvious visual metaphor of that fact.
>>
>>77752551
Yeah but the tips are gold coins!
>>
>>77752606
>He read comics
Way to spot a retard.
>>
>>77752643
>FEDORA 2 DA XTREME
>>
>>77751879
so you're good at math then?
it's one or the other, guy
>>
>>77751760
>>77751771
>>77751785
To be fair, Danny is only white because at the time an Asian main character was risky. It's not anymore.

Personally I have don't care either way. Danny's race has no real bearing on his character. He could be Latino or Native American for all I care.
>>
>>77752042
Correction.

The Ancient One is being played by Tilda Swinton. So he/she/it will likely have no discernable gender and may even be an angel or some shit.
>>
File: Charlie_karate_chimp.jpg (27 KB, 380x403) Image search: [Google]
Charlie_karate_chimp.jpg
27 KB, 380x403
>>77752296
Solution: cast a chimp
>>
>>77751771
>white savior syndrome

Danny Rand IS NOT A FUCKING SAVIOR

He earns the title and powers and then fucking ditches K'un-L'un and his responsibility so he can go murder the man responsible for the death of his parents.
>>
>>77752877
>at the time an Asian main character was risky

Not really. Stan Lee created the Black Panther ffs.

It was the kung fu era. A white guy embracing chinese culture as his own was the exotic, progressive thing to do, especially when you consider.

A) His public partnertship with a black man

B) His romance with a black woman

C) The fact he suffered racial discrimination from asians, subverting the tropes when a white person was as much of a victim of them, as others were at the hands of some whites
>>
>>77751760
>>77751771
>>77751785

My counter-points:

>implying a martial artist needs to be Asian
>implying Scott Lang being changed to Asian wouldn't have been an easier and less racist one than this
>Implying Danny's situation is the same as other White Man saves minorities story
>>
>>77752877
Shang-Chi was an Asian main character a year before Iron Fist was created.
>>
>>77752042
you guys do know there are mixed people too, why not cast an asian x white mixed person
>>
>>77751760
>Another asian does Kung Fu

You know what? If we're gonna racebend, go full blaxploitation. Have an African-American be the mythic great savior. Plus, it fits perfectly in the urban setting of the Netflix stories, especially when you consider it a mirror image of Daredevil/Wilson Fisk, with a black millionaire heir trying to save his father's old stomping grounds both from above, and below.
>>
>>77752975
Because Colleen Wing is already going to be Asian/White.
>>
>>77752975

It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it kinda says "'Cuz Ethnics Belong Together", but no, it wouldn't be objectionable in a strict narrative sense the same way a whole chinaboy would be
>>
Isn't Iron Fist's whole origin a rich white kid learning about privilege? You'd think the SJW crowd would be all over that

> I'm going to go to the inner city and fight crime to make it better
> oh shit I have no idea what urban life is like and i'm terrible at this
>>
>>77751760
I 100% respect this opinion and only a bigot would not,

Does not mean I agree and definitely does not mean this is note worthy and some guy thinking this warrants a thread.
>>
>>77751840
Nobody gives a fuck about weebs with katanas
Fixed

But Anon, Iron Fist uses no Katana!
Thats not my point
>>
>>77752695
calm down senpai, it's obviously sarcasm
>>
I don't care, just make him non white. Too many whites as it is in the goddamn MCU.
>>
>>77753287
what a racist
>>
>>77753339
It's only racist if they make him, once again, a mighty whitey trope. Even worse if he still has the blond hair and blue eyes.
>>
>>77753339
It's not racist if you hate white people.
>>
Once again, another moron who fails to understand Danny Rands character.

Danny Rands character is literally required to be white.
>>
File: FNF-IronFistFatCobra3[1].jpg (71 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
FNF-IronFistFatCobra3[1].jpg
71 KB, 500x397
>>77753354
Is he really a Mighty Whitey?
>>
>>77752296
It's my time to shine!!!
>>
>Character is about overcoming racial predjudice and sheltered life to become a better person and help others
>Tumblr hates him

Ironic.
>>
>>77751879

Muh appropriation across the nation

We dancin in oppression
>>
>>77751771
that's racist as fuck
where'd you find this shit, OP?
>>
if they can find an Asian guy who can act the role well I'm down. sounds dope
>>
>>77751771
>white folk already have Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, Wolverine, Daredevil… I mean, I can keep going.
why do they always avoid the women?
there's Jessica Jones, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Pepper, Black Widow, Peggy Carter
all white, but no one ever calls for a race change on them
>>
I'd laugh my ass off if they cast an Asian, but wrong ethnicum, just like they did with Psylocke.

Casting half-Chinese woman as an Japanese stereotype? No problem, Asians are all the same, LOOK AT ME HOW I RESPECT OTHER CULTURES
>>
>>77751879
Asians can't fight for shit besides Thais because those guys actually spar
>>
>>77752042
The best solution would be a Native American cuz we hardly see those guys
>>
>>77753769
And that's why there are no big name Asians in Hollywood because they can't act for shit
>>
>>77753806
White women are considered to be minorities in US media
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

American filmmakers suck at action anyway. Let actual Asians do the series and have everyone be Asian and only Danny a white guy, China actually love this shit

https://thedissolve.com/news/6049-adrien-brody-and-john-cusack-go-to-china-in-the-dr/
>>
>>77752042
Either make his mother from K'un L'un, or make him Mexican.
>>
>>77751771
>Well, to that I say, white folk already have Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, Wolverine, Daredevil… I mean, I can keep going.

>Captain America
Black man now.

>Thor
Woman now.

>Spider-Man
Which one? We have both a black and white Spider-Man

>Iron Man
Still white

>The Hulk
Asian woman

>Wolverine
Woman

>Daredevil
Still white.
>>
>>77753882
The funny thing is, Psylocke was a white English girl whose mind transferred into a Japanese girl's
>>
>>77754272
They're obviously talking about the MCU, if you had read the thread.
>>
File: Aziz_Ansari_2012_Shankbone.jpg (1 MB, 1515x1894) Image search: [Google]
Aziz_Ansari_2012_Shankbone.jpg
1 MB, 1515x1894
>>77752296
My name is Danny Rand, I do kung-fu.
>>
>>77754153
Marvel's gotta beg Disney to hook them up with Donnie Yen after he's done with Star Wars
>>
This seems like it would be incredibly racist to me. Danny's entire story is a rejection of white privilege. He's raised in an ascetic lifestyle, he completely adopts the culture of K'un L'un as is his own, and when he gets back to society, he finds that he coudn't give less of a shit about the fortune he inherited. He uses it to help people. His partnership with Luke teaches him what white privilege is, and how he interacts with people.

Turning him into an asian pretty much tosses that out the window and makes him a generic kung-fu character solely defined by his race.
>>
Why do these fucks never call for a race swap when it's a white female hero?
>>
This is fucking retarded. A central part of Danny's character IS being an outsider.
>>
>>77754715
White Girl Feminism.
>>
>>77754715
Because white women are clearly the most oppressed group of people out there
>>
He's biracial and his father was lost in asia while doing business with some big wigs out there.
He's in K'un L'un and lives there for 4 years before he and his young son are exiled. He lives in america for a while as the wealthy son of a world famous once thought lost multibillionaire.

The culture shock and finding out that instead of being the son of a poor man from a strange land he's basically the son of a disgustingly wealthy and respected nobleman.

He meets luke at a club and they fight it out over some stupid shit, they accidentally start a bar fight, and they fight their way out.
They become best bros.

Later Danny Rand "has a cool sounding K'un L'un name" is met be a nice asian woman who seems to be in her mid 40's and knows a lot about him.
She tells him things about himself and things about his childhood that he thought were just a nice dream and he recognizes her.

Cue sad vaguely chinese music with them hugging and him trying to call his dad/limo to pick them up and they can all go out to eat at the new restaraunt he bought as an
investment.

She tells him that he needs to come with her and that he has to stop his brother. He's been taken over and needs to be defeated. Cue awesome adventure story that's told in snippits.
Cue a short scene of him standing bald in front of a well animated fire breathing dragon.
>>
I'm cool with an Asian Iron Fist. Could be neat. Have him half white so he can still be looked at as an "American outsider"
>>
>>77751771
>do you really want yet another white-guy-is-better-at-being-Asian-than-the-Asians story?
>Better at being asian
Nigga that's racist as fuck
>>
>>77754794
That's terrible and makes no sense.
>>
Asian Danny will probably happen. Hollywood and Marvel Studios already know that they want that sweet Chinese money and a leg up on the Chinese market.

It doesn't sound too bad always.
>>
>>77752113
Of course, white male/nonwhite female is genetic appropriation.
>>
>>77751760
I'd actually be more in favor of making him a fucking Arab than making him Asian
The "kung-fu asian" is a racist trope that really needs to die
>>
>>77754819
People like you are the reason everyone is so racist. Pandering and demanding inclusion doesn't do anything but add fuel to the fire.

The best way to stop racism is to stop fucking talking about it. Everyone is a person, treat everyone as a person and stop trying to speed up something that can only happen in time.
>>
Do these people even like these characters? The "issues" they're inventing about Danny being a "white savior" could only be found in writing, not inherent in Danny's white skin.

Is this something just I noticed, or are racially sensitive liberal types unknowingly very racist a lot of the time? They see people as their skin color first and foremost most of the time
>>
File: 1446434687858.jpg (161 KB, 480x726) Image search: [Google]
1446434687858.jpg
161 KB, 480x726
>>77754938
Yes people like me are the reason. People who don't care if the hero is white or asian. It's a serious thing though, asian people aren't that racist to other races but they do look down on cultures that aren't there own. People like you who get triggered add fuel to the fire. Unless this is B8, then ya caught me.
>>
>>77754976
Yeah they are extremely racist. Like I said here >>77754938
Racism isn't something you can force to go away and demanding inclusion because of this perceived "barrier" is only creating a barrier between races. You need to let this shit go away on its own with time as the older generations die out. Instilling a sense of disjointment in the younger generations isn't doing anything but prolonging this process.

They've literally kicked the progress in the last 10 years back to the early 2000s with this shit.
>>
>>77754938
You're going to have to get the balls to say that to black people too. Tell them that nobody owes them anything for slavery or because their grand parents got the shit kicked out of them and attacked by German Shepherds. Yes, I know that the CIA introduced crack to black communities to destroy their people, but we don't have any control over the CIA.

You can be a sensitive racist as well as an aggressive one
>>
>>77751760
>>77751771
>>77751785
I'm fine with Danny not being white, but making him Asian comes off as even more racist and problematic.

Danny being Black could work, though I could see people finding that problematic in itself, and it would kinda mess with his dynamic with Cage.

Ideally Danny would be cast as hispanic.
>>
>>77754925
QUICK! Name five just FIVE western born asians in western media who do martial arts.
GO!
>>
>>77755017
>asian people aren't that racist to other races
Spoken like a true ignorant cracker
>>
Danny doesn't give a shit about Asians and compared to most of the other Immortal Weapons, dude kinda sucks donkey balls at the kung fu.
He is just good for a white guy.

So he definitely isn't a white savior.

I really don't want them to change Danny's skin color, because it was change his relationship with Luke.
Asian/Black guy friends are way different then Mayo/Black guy friends.
>>
>>77755080
See you are associating black people with the lower class which in itself is racist. We don't just "give" things to black people. We give things to the lower class, who a large percentage of happens to be black. No one wants to say this though cause if people stopped and thought about it they'd realize the lower class is the problem and the lower class is only a problem cause the upper class keeps them oppressed. This racism push in America has been all about misdirection because people were finally starting to ask why the 1% has so much of the money, so they brought back this racism boogeyman to distract people from the real issue.
>>
>>77754889
Dude, is stream of consciousness writing. I don't do editing when I'm doing that.

The point is Rands father gets lost in china, dumbfucks his way int K'un L'un.
Stays there for a while cause reasons and hooks up with some kind of priestess.
They have a son, this pisses some people off
He has to leave and take the boy with him.

He later has to go back to become an immortal weapon to help the other immortal weapons stop his half brother.

Chinese will love that shit.
Fuck, remember the the karate kid with jackie chan and will smiths kid? Shit was ridiculously popular.
>>
>>77755084
Even more racist and problematic? Why is Danny being white racist or a problem in the first place?
>>
>>77751771
Wait isn't that more inherently racist since then it wpuld be "hey you are the best at martial arts cause you are asian"? Sides it doesn't fucking matter. All they should focus on is getting a good actor.
>>
>>77755167
The whole 'White man goes to ancient foreign culture, adopts their customs and arts, and instantly becomes better at it than all of them" trope is pretty fucking racist.
>>
>>77755207

/co/ yelled at me when i called it imperialist bullshit
>>
>>77755142
Bitch, I'm poor as fuck, just as poor as these hood rat black people you're talking about. My dad has lived pay check to pay check his entire life, and I probably will too.

The truth is, we aren't actually oppressed in America. People just want oppression to exist so they can find fulfillment in fighting it
>>
File: 1346473881142.jpg (101 KB, 627x474) Image search: [Google]
1346473881142.jpg
101 KB, 627x474
>>77755207
>instantly
>>
There's going to be racist elements whether they cast him as white or as Asian. Mixed race or another race all together may work as a compromise but it comes down to the execution when determining whether or not the show is racist. So I'm down with whoever they cast so long as they hire people that can make a good story.
>>
>>77755207
>>77755207
>>77755219
>White man goes to ancient foreign culture, adopts their customs and arts, and instantly becomes better at it than all of them" trope is pretty fucking racist

That's not Danny's story at all. Read a fucking comic.
>>
>>77753017
>Have an African-American be the mythic great savior.

But then his friendship with Luke Cage is just two black dudes.
>>
>>77755238
Living paycheck to paycheck doesn't make you poor you fucking faggot. I'm not gonna give you my life story but there are no government assistance programs for orphans or people with drug addict parents, which is a large chunk of the lower class, and the middle class is taxed exactly the same from 37,000-83,000 with a 10% increase from lower to middle but only a 3% increase from middle to upper. You're a brain dead retard if you don't think we are oppressed by the upper class.
>>
>>77755207
It's actually not at all anon. What exactly about Danny Rand makes you think that he represents all of white people? What if Danny Rand is an individual man, and he only represents himself rather than all white people on earth?

There is no racism in the story, you're just another overly sensitive white guilt stooge who's driving us back to the 50's with the Black Lives Matter fools.
>>
>what they say
I want an Asian Iron Fist
>what they really want
I want a Chinese Iron Fist
>>
>>77755322
Shang-Chi. They want Shang.
>>
>>77755306
We aren't, you just desperately need to believe in oppression to justify your world view. There are oppressors in the world, but they aren't people in your society with you. You aren't being held down by the upper middle class anon.
>>
>>77755266
There actually won't be any racist elements unless you put them there on purpose
>>
>>77755379
Keep thinking that dumbass. The facts don't support your point of view.
>>
Danny is white, has always been white, and should always be white. End of story.

Its fucking bullshit to take a character with a established personality and long history and just bop them to a different skin color because of the need to put another tick on the diversity checklist or whatever. (same goes for changing a non white character white).

At lest most of the time comic wise they attempt to make it a different character (like Miles or Robbie Reyes).

Betraying a character to push a agenda is stupid and lazy.
>>
>>77752296
Will it include public defecation?
>>
>>77755402
I mean it can look racist either way. As people have been going back and forth on in this thread.
>>
>>77755207
That's not Iron FIst at all.
Like seriously read the fucking comic.

He doesn't adapt jack shit.
He just learns Karate, and he is not better at it then them.
>>
>>77755458

>has always been white, and should always be white

This is the worst argument for it. 0/10
>>
I think it's funny how the first time the media calls for an Asian actor in the MCU is when it's a property about martial arts and magical king-fu.
>>
>>77752296
>Designated kung fu streets.
>>
This thread is why I hate all this PC/Diversity nonsense. Its just a giant circle-jerk of people calling each other "racist and problematic".

The whole "YOU ARE EITHER WITH US OR AGAINST US" mindset is really irritating.
>>
File: sc.jpg (381 KB, 628x784) Image search: [Google]
sc.jpg
381 KB, 628x784
Anyway why would you make him Asian when Shang Chi exists?

He even existed before Danny, in fact the reason Danny is even white is because he didn't want to make him too much like Shang Chi.
>>
>>77755578
>PC
Pussy Crusher?
>>
>>77755509
>he is not better at it than them
That's why he's the one who wins the challenge that proves he's the best right?
>>
File: Dragon.jpg (81 KB, 781x1401) Image search: [Google]
Dragon.jpg
81 KB, 781x1401
There is already a Asian Kung-Fu marvel character. He is already badass and MASSIVELY underrated.
>>
>>77755420
What facts? We live in the least oppressive time of human history
>>
>>77755495
That means nothing when these people believe society and all of its institutions are inherently racist
>>
File: 664274-iron2.jpg (49 KB, 400x317) Image search: [Google]
664274-iron2.jpg
49 KB, 400x317
>>77755618
He is only better then a bunch of scrubs.
Most of the high tier Asian kung fu people would destroy him, and they have.
>>
>>77755458
What agenda is that? The same kind of "make money agenda, let's make a white guy who does kung-fu" that was done when they first created ironfist? Or how Ironfist failed until he and luke cage started hanging out?

They either make Rand half fucking asian, chinese preferrably, or this shit is DoA.

I mean, they could get away with that in batman because batman never mastered DA SHADOWS and indians love being portrayed as white as snow in any media.
>>
>>77755696
Yea he's better than everyone in his city besides the Thunderer though. Also
>telling me to read the comics
>posts the retcon shit
fuck off casual
>>
>>77755510
How so?
I mean please explain to my racist ass on why they should take a white character I (and others) like and have read about for many years and completely change him just to appease the current societal outcry.
>>
>>77751785
>I don’t think there’s any proof that the Chinese really care how Asian actors are portrayed in American movies anyway
The Government says otherwise
>>
>>77755597
>>77755621
Shang-Chi mind.
>>
>>77755732
You're read about....IRONFIST..for many years?

it's been less then an z-list characters for well over 75% it's existence and rarely appeared in anything. The shit are you saying?
>>
I think it's funny that these people care far more about race and the social perception of the character rather the story or the characters themselves
>>
>>77754272
>Which one? We have both a black and white Spider-Man
Also a hispanic one.
>>
>>77755797
the surface matters more than anything else, that's what diversity has taught me
>>
>>77755722
What exactly is wrong with Danny being a white man? Why must he now be Asian?
>>
>>77755824
And an Indian one and three girls and 2 women.
>>
>>77755797
It's a shit character anyway
>>
>>77751760
Why wasn't he asian to begin with?
>Make a character solely to cash in on the kung fu craze
>Make him white
Just why
>>
>>77755862
This is literally what these people think though. They don't even like these characters to begin with, but they want to take them and fundamentally alter them to fit what they want to say rather than making anything on their own
>>
>>77755885
>>77755597
>>
>>77755885
racism

duh
>>
>>77755885
They already had an Asian Kung-Fu character see >>77755621
>>
>>77755207
Well it's a good thing that trope doesn't show up at all in Danny's story then!
>>
>>77753354
>Even worse if he still has the blond hair and blue eyes.

Why?
>>
Can a person be considered appropriating something if they actually lived in the culture for decades? Danny was essentially raised in Kun Lun as a boy. He had as much time there with those people as he did in NYC with his parents.
>>
>>77755959
Because Cap has that angle locked down and harems should have variety.
>>
>>77755903
Oh I'm not arguing. I just think Iron Fist is a good character regardless of ethnicity
>>
>>77755114
Quit trying to shoplift their convenience stores and you wouldn't get a hard time, DeShawn.
>>
>>77755729
>He only posts things that back up his argument even after they've been retconned almost 10 years ago
lmao
>>
>Or worse
>people who disagree with my opinion
The horror
>>
Out of the dozens of MCU character only a handful exist that race is an important part of the character but Danny is one of them.

Fucking shits.
>>
>>77755844
Technically the women aren't called "Spider-man" nor are any of the girls.

They do have a british spider-man and an indian spider-man though. Whole lotta Spider-men running around.
>>
File: korea-blackface.jpg (48 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
korea-blackface.jpg
48 KB, 700x393
>>77755017
>asian people aren't that racist to other races but they do look down on cultures that aren't there own.

That's genuinely not true. Aian people can be racist as shit.
>>
>>77755621
Glad this nigga is finally getting an omnibus.
>>
>>77755566
kek
best post in thread.
>>
I feel like they don't like Danny Rand because he's a rich, blonde white man who's cool, wise, and accepted by both black culture and Asian culture without having to play the ignorant lame white boy card that you see white guys play when they come in contact with other cultures these days.
>>
>>77755991
So why do you think he shouldn't be a white man if you're so apathetic about race?
>>
>>77751771
>>Also, while Shang Chi is cool and everything, his inclusion in the Marvel Cinematic Universe won’t increase the number of Asian Americans because Shang’s from China, after all

Okay.jpg
>>
>>77755017
>asian people aren't that racist to other races but they do look down on cultures that aren't there own.

So, they're racist.
>>
>>77755621

> there's no difference between an asian born in America in a completely different culture, and an asian person born in mainland China or the South East.
>>
>>77755787
What the shit are YOU saying?
Ironfist has been in Marvel off and on for what? around 40 years now?
Not only has he had his own series along with powerman and iron fist, but he has been in many crossovers and team books (All of which you can still read today).
He is pretty well established in the marvel universe bucko.
>>
>>77756042
About damn time. Sick of trying to find individual issues for non "rape my wallet" prices.
>>
>>77752436
Not to entire that could even heal the racial wounds plaguing this nation, to see two hard working men of different ethnicities build a bond stronger than family. We need the Heroes for Hire more than ever I dare say, and we need a white Iron Fist!
>>
>>77754272
The Hulk
>Asian woman
BAIT BAIT DETECTED
Cho is the new Hulk retard.
>>
Isn't Danny a fucking child when he goes to Kun Lai? Stays and is raised there the majority of his life? Just because his skin is white doesn't make him any less Kun-Lai then the other children raised in it.

I thought some interesting plot points in the show would be him being more comfortable hanging around china town because it feels more like home but not being accepted because he is white and being uncomfortable around big city life because even the tiny things he remembers from his childhood are very much different.
>>
>>77756372
>Kun lai
I mean Kun Lun, played to much World of Warcraft.
>>
File: Iron_Fist_Right_Portrait_Art.png (272 KB, 685x630) Image search: [Google]
Iron_Fist_Right_Portrait_Art.png
272 KB, 685x630
You know what fuck all of you niggers.

I just want to see Danny Rand and Luke kicking ass and you fucks are ruining it with all this diversity "Iron Fist has to be Asian if you don't agree then you are racist" bullshit.

We need this mother fucker kicking ninja ass and having high octane martial arts fights not listen to a bunch race relation melodrama bullshit.
Damn this shits getting under my skin.
>>
File: bruh.jpg (45 KB, 335x292) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
45 KB, 335x292
>>77755017
>Asian people aren't that racist to other races
Confirmed for never being in a Asian country or even an Asian neighborhood.
>>
>>77756372
You would be right.
But there is a really dumb mindset that diversity needs to be shoved into everything even if its at the expense of story and character.
>>
>>77755017
>asian people aren't that racist to other races
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uC4AUyju7k
>>
>>77756169
Of course there isn't! That's why only an African-American can understand T'challa enough to direct a Black Panther film.
>>
>>77756672
and write his books.
>>
>>77752042
>WHO DA MASTAH? WHO DA MASTAH? SHO NUFF, IRON FIST WAS A GOOD BOY, DINDU NUFFIN
nah the real reason black danny does not work is Missy stone and luke cage and him lose all interesting chemistry if he was black
>>
>>77751771
Fuck off and fuck your slant eyed momma.
>>
>>77751879
lol this.
This is pretty racist. Let's make Iron Fist asian cause oriental = karatefu.
>>
>>77756939
Asians are also good at math and say "A thousand thanks".
>>
>>77752042

When you spend too much time on /pol/, your IQ points drop hard as evidenced by this poor fellow's post.
>>
>>77757012
It's funny how quick you are to say anything is /pol/ when it has to do with race.
>>
>>77752059

>Luis cast as Iron Fist

MAKE
IT
HAPPEN
CAP'N
>>
>>77757041
It's not funny. It's actually pretty worrying.
>>
>tumblr is so progressive it actually uses racist stereotypes to cast characters
incredible
>>
>>77752749
It must really suck being Asian and being bad at both kung-fu and math.
>>
>>77751879
But Hiro-San, we are.
>>
>>77756482
This. Just cast someone who can act and fight and I'm sold.
>>
>sheltered trust fund baby where the husband constantly lies to his family, the mother is eaten alive by wolves
>asian
nah man, nah
>>
>>77757716
thats why otakus exist

>>77756372
old enough to remember his past, so he has to be at least 8-12
hell, thats older than the youngest iron fist (technically)
>>
File: Juan Punch Man.jpg (429 KB, 1715x1236) Image search: [Google]
Juan Punch Man.jpg
429 KB, 1715x1236
>>77757080
But, anon, Luis is already the strongest hero.
>>
>>77755621
Remember when Shang-Chi and Peter invented the Way of the Spider?

Underrated issue.
>>
>>77755566
topest of keks
>>
>>77752523
But those were great minutes!
>>
Just create a new character to be Iron Fist and make him Asian.
>>
>>77752967
YEAH
Thats' what I want out of Iron Fist - some martial arts fighting, K'un L'un worldbuilding, and then SHANG CHI BEATS EVERYONE'S ASS.
>>
File: 016.jpg (176 KB, 664x511) Image search: [Google]
016.jpg
176 KB, 664x511
>>77753479
Yes. Yes he is.
>>
>>77753479
>You'll never see Fat Cobra in live action.
>>
as an asian dude i am 100% behind an asian american lead lead
we rarely get it, and no one ever takes asians seriously.
it honestly changes nothing
>>
>>77752877
>To be fair, Danny is only white because at the time an Asian main character was risky.
Shang Chi and Sun Lin were created around the same era, so no, it fucking wasn't. I don't think you understood Carl Douglas when he proclaimed that Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting.
>>
>>77760410
I don't think you know what Mighty Whitey is.
>>
File: 1447567687893.png (3 MB, 1915x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447567687893.png
3 MB, 1915x1080
Who should I pair with Iron Fist in Marvel 3?
I want to become semi good at Iron Fist for casual matches.
>>
File: CT1T1_nWoAAC_aK.jpg-large.jpg (41 KB, 540x479) Image search: [Google]
CT1T1_nWoAAC_aK.jpg-large.jpg
41 KB, 540x479
>>77752375
I don't think that's happening any time soon, bruh.
>>
>>77751760
Danny was suppose to be an outside, a kin to bruce lee teaching white people how to fight, so it was a big deal that this guy came to their village that did not belong, and was selected to wield the iron fist.

Hell, you could make him any race other than asian and it'd work.
>>
File: 1448301769602.gif (2 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1448301769602.gif
2 MB, 300x168
>>77754153
>Fully asian Iron Fist movie with only Danny being white and maybe a Luke cameo
>>
>>77761405
Why can't he be white then if it doesn't matter?
>>
>>77761351
I'm messing with a team of Iron Fist/Strange/Spencer. The idea is Iron Fist can corner carry pretty good, I use Spencer up grapple as an assist and do Iron Fist's 1-inch Punch (qcf+B) into his power up move (pink one). While he's crumping I call in Strange and do his Palm/Flame loops.

If you want something simpler, Sentinel and Akuma work with him pretty well, so long as you put Iron Fist on point.

Doom goes with everyone
>>
They want this because Luke would be too chill of a bro to fucking to bring race into the issue of Danny not understanding why suddenly fighting crime in the neighborhood isn't so cut and dry.

He'd realize there's some rich guy with impressive kung fu abilities and a willingness to help and they'd take it from there.
>>
>>77761626
I do like Spencer a lot but not a big fan of Strange.

Sentinel/Akuma sounds fun though, I'll definitely give both of those a try.

I saw some guy doing Iron Fist/Ryu/Akuma which just seems like an assload of fun.
>>
>>77752877
Yeah, that's why they totally didn't create Shang-Chi first.
>>
>>77751771
>Wants Danny to be Asian-American, so shits on based Shang-Chi.

Well, screw you.
>>
>>77752260
The criticisms they're leveling against Danny hadn't been true since the '70's. I swear to God it just feels like people have just perused his first couple of wiki paragraphs, saying he's too 'problematic 4 me", and then trying to change his whole character, without thinking if it would fit into the context of his character without changing him.
>>
>>77752436
>People keep on forgetting how his whiteness affects and informs his relationships with his best friend and girlfriend, who are both black people.

It's honestly getting me to the end of my tether.
>>
>>77751760
making Iron Fist asian makes the character significantly less interesting. It's just another Kung-Fu rehash at that point. But make it an arrogant, wise-cracking white dude and it makes things different enough to be worth looking at.
>>
>>77762648
>But make it an arrogant, wise-cracking white dude
Because we don't have enough of that in the MCU.
>>
>>77755157
>>77754794

How about this? Rand is white, His Father and mother are white, and the fact that Danny becomes Iron Fist is not because he's just a better fighter than the rest of the trainers, but the one most willing to go out into the world and use his powers to help others?
>>
I can't help but feel like if he was cast as an Asian American from the onset there would be a million similar articles bashing the show for racism and reinforcing the idea that Asians are all masters of Kung-fu or whatever.

Only winning move is not to play.
>>
>>77753354
>If a Kung-Fu guy is white, it's automatically a "mighty whitey".

They are mutually exclusive, you know.
>>
>>77751760
>>77751771
>>77751785
Just fuck anyone who sees comic book movies as an outlet for "racial diversity." It's a fucking live-action adaption of a comic book. The point is to look like the source material. You're adapting it to a screen. It's like sitting in the board room discussing making a Hunger Games movie, and someone says "Hey, we should make Katniss Black for diversity's sake!" This isn't an outlet for that. If you want diversity in the movies, use characters that are the race you want to show, or make NEW IPs. For example, instead of making the Human Torch black just because "hey diversity", you should use the Black Panther in the movie.

I just can't stand someone stomping on source material by trying to change things left and right for social diversity propaganda bullshit. It's like writing a book that's your own work and creativity, then someone reads it and says "Here let me fix it, I need to add more Black and Gay and Women characters." Just write your own fucking book if you want it so badly. Make your own movie. But don't take something that's already established and well crafted by someone else and shit on it once you get your hands on it.
>>
>>77753538
It's because he's white. You know that trumps everything. Bet you right now, if Danny wasn't Caucasian there wouldn't be this much clamouring to make him Asian.
>>
>>77762831

There's an entire subset of people who insist Katniss is black, btw.
>>
>>77762867
Katniss is a dumb name. Like Renessimae.
>>
>>77751816
>stereotype
that's exactly what it is. We've gone full circle. First they complain about stereotypes being racist, then they complain that removing stereotypes is racist.

What the fuck is going on?
>>
>>77751760
According to the author of this post, we need to make a new movie about Eminem but make him Black for the sake of racial diversity and cultural appropriation.
>>
>>77754690
This. The only way it could work was if America was say a Han Chinese supremacy, and not a white one.
>>
>>77753140
SJWs aren't actually thinking about progress, they just want to point at everything and complain about it.
>>
>>77755207
If that's your mindset, I feel like you probably got angry watching Kung Fu Panda too
>>
>>77762683
If arrogant and wise-cracking is done right, it can be good- i.e. Spidey and Iron Fist.

I just now realized how horrible shit could get now that MCU has Spider-Man. I hope they do him right instead of making him the ultimate cheesy quip-lord.
>>
>>77751771
>There’s also the other argument that says making Iron Fist Asian American is unnecessary because we already have Shang Chi. Well, to that I say, white folk already have Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, Wolverine, Daredevil… I mean, I can keep going.

Way to fucking miss the point. It's not that they'd both be asian superheros, it's that they'd both be asian superheros with the same schtick (martial arts, just one doesn't have superpowers).
>>
>>77761471
He can. That's >>77761405's point.
Danny's story works as literally any race EXCEPT asian, and probably not black because it changes his relationship dynamics with Luke and Misty. So may as well keep him white and stay true to the comics.
>>
>>77755885
BECAUSE. SHANG-CHI. ALREADY EXISTED.

How many times to we have to state this?
And, if you're wondering why IF is more popular, it wasn't always that way. Shang-Chi was super popular in the '70's. The writer apparently never actually researched who or what Fu-Manchu (who was it the public domain, and popular at the time) was and made him his father. He researched it later and saw how racist it was, but it was too late Shang was forever tied with being Fu-Manchu's son, and they lost the rights so could never re-print the trades...until now. Iron Fist on the other hand was severely declining in sales, as well as a little hero called Luke Cage. Someone at Marvel had the genius idea of putting the two of them(a black dude, who grew up poor, and a rich white guy) together to create the greatest Ebony and Ivory bromance the whole has even known. They are a package deal, and their races, a guy with white privilege, and a oppressed minority, inform they relationship.
>>
>>77763481
*whole world.
>>
>>77762831
>It's like writing a book that's your own work and creativity, then someone reads it and says "Here let me fix it, I need to add more Black and Gay and Women characters."

It's funny, since this essentially happens already.
>>
>>77762831
The difference is that there's nothing about Human Torches character or story that is significantly tied to his race. Danny Rand is a character whose story and identity are very tied to his race.
>>
>>77755966
It's such an important factor these people are forgetting. He didn't go to KL as an adult, but he was a freshly orphaned child who lived there.
>>
>>77763543
Ironically, that's the same argument we hear about racebending black characters. For once, it's important for a white character to actually BE white.
>>
>>77756372
Bingo. He's literally a reverse banana, so making him Asian-American would just be inverting the character.
>>
>>77763578
Because typically classic black characters like Luke Cage or Black Panther are very tied to their race. Minority characters were often created to capitalize on some sort of fad more often than not. They were business decisions more than creative decisions. That's especially true for Marvel characters. Luke Cage, Shang Chi, and She Hulk being the biggest example.
>>
This is asuch crazy as making fury black
>>
Fuck it, let him turn Asian. When marvel accidentally goes too far in making him Asian and the bitches get pissed I'll just laugh
>>
i want an asian american in the story too ... just not as the iron fist.

let iron fist be white, but maybe he has an equally wealthy asian american buddy that does non-kung fu fighting/non-techy type stuff (like run a highly successful business empire). Maybe he's so rich that he's the most un-asian guy in all of Hong Kong (he's only there to run the family business). You know, every girl he dates is white ... not because it's a status thing but because he speaks english/french/italian/russian but not chinese (he cheats using google translate or a man-servant or mumbles and nods at yes/no situations).
>>
>>77764152
btw, i'm asian american... can we be something that isn't martial arts master or IT support?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.