[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Civil War... Is this list right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: Civil_War_Vol_1_1_Variant.jpg (116 KB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
Civil_War_Vol_1_1_Variant.jpg
116 KB, 650x1000
So marvel has its own checklist for Civil War reading (https://marvel.com/comics/discover/114/civil-war-the-complete-event). It is pretty damn long, but I am wondering how good their list is.

Are there books on this list you would remove? Anything you would add?

I trust /co/ more than pretty much any other source. So while I googled, I don't really know which list to follow. Figured I would ask here before I start torrenting my head off.

Normally a DC guy, but the story seems interesting and seemed like a big shifting point in the Marvel universe. So I figured I would try. Plus, I really like Spidey and I need some inspiration for my own art by reading comics.
>>
Don't. Just don't.
>>
>>77747204
I mean, I know it has some bad writing in it, but I hear good things. Especially about the Spidey tie-ins
>>
If anything reading all the tie ins will just make it worse that it already is. Marvel editors have a track record of being really bad at explaining finer plot details to the free lancers. So from comic to comic the entire nature of the Superhero Registration Act can change.
>>
>>77747253
You heard the wrong things.
>>
Series is good, most hate on it. Read it for your self and form your own opinion. I would stick with the list marvel has compiled, long but worth the read.
>>
>>77747253
>>77747178
seriously It's not worth it. i completed that entire list. and afterwards just felt tired and angry. just wait for the movie man. a few awesome scenes won't make up for your life wasted
>>
>that Civil War: Wolverine
From bones to flesh in fifteen seconds!
And Civil War: X-Men doesn't tie in narrative at all.
>>
>>77747204
Listen to this wise anon.
>>
>>77747883
Civil War X-Men is hilarious in how dumb it is

> Hey Scott it's me your friend/former team mate Carol Danvers
> So how do you feel about superhuman registration?
>>
>>77747928
Don't even mention Domino's rebellion for sake of rebelling.
And Bishop. what the fuck?
>>
So was it just an overall shitty story? Did people not like the ending? Why does everyone seem to hate Civil War?
>>
>>77748338
Because we'te supposed to root for Cap and event wad hilariously biased in Cap's favor.
>>
The only decent part of the Civil War arc was The Punisher upright murdering a bunch of no named villains (including fucking Rhino) after saving Spiderman.

That and Cap beating him up with Punisher not doing anything. It was great.
>>
Civil War X-Men basically only existed because they wanted to give the writer of District X a chance to wrap up his storylines from when House of M made them cancel it.

It makes ZERO sense unless you read District X and The 198, which continued District X and set up a good number of the plot points that get resolved in CW X-Men.

>>77747928
More reason why Emma Frost is a cancerous influence towards Scott Summers.

Emma was a fucking coward who refused to get involved and was already sucking up to Tony so the X-Men end up on "the winning side".

Civil War should have had Emma being expelled from the X-Men and even murdered, to get rid of her as far as Storm cutting Emma's throat to the point of decapitating her, then bashing Scott's nuts into bloody smears with her boot and doing a Bravehart style call to arms, so that the X-MEN are the ones who bring an end to the entire fight via lynching Tony and winning Cap the war.
>>
>>77748426
This.
>>
>>77748338

>>77748411 is wrong. Marvel editorial WANTED us to root for Iron Man and have repeatedly stated that Iron Man was write in EVERYTHING and Cap was wrong.

Some writers though (Slott, PAD, JMS) however saw otherwise, hence why the tone of the X-Overs were all over the place in terms of Marvel inadvertedly fucking up so badly that they rendered Iron Man, comic-wise, irreversibly radioactive IN SPITE OF having a huge big titted movie.

Adding to the whole thing, the fridging of the New Warriors and Speedball becoming Penance (which was so stupid Paul Jenkins had to do a mini-series to fix it), Civil War Frontline #11 (which Marvel STILL refuses to let anyone refer back to in order to allow Cap to get his revenge), and the fact that Marvel had, due to the huge fucking delays, AMPLE time to order an emergency rewrite once they realized Mark Millar had utterly fucking failed and was doing irreversible damage to Iron Man and the rest of the line, but REFUSED TO FIX SHIT, is why people hate it.

*They should have forced Brubaker to take over writing Civil War #4-7 and make him reveal Tony and company being under Red Skull's control and fold his Red Skull storyline into Civil War as a fix for the whole thing.
>>
>>77748426
I think I saw this page. He wouldn't hit Cap back because he idolized him, right?
>>
>>77748474
Interesting. So basically they ruined Iron Man's image in the end. Fucking up the character for how ever many comics to come.

Has he still not really recovered from that?
>>
>>77747928
Civil War: X-Men somehow manages to make the X-Men look like equal retards. SHRA was less public than the X-Men, had a better training program, a better support network, an actual salary, and a normalized view of mutants as compared to other superpowered people. Meanwhile one of Emma Frost's arguments hinges on the Avenger's not stopping an event that the X-Men themselves weren't present for.
>>
>>77748427
Hi Hank.
>>
>>77748496
There was a brief period where everyone shit on Tony post-Secret Invasion, but Marvel's mostly just been ignoring Civil War as far as Iron Man is concerned.
>>
>>77748427
>owtheedge.jpg
>>
>>77748520
Because he made himself forget.
>>
>>77748496
>Has he still not really recovered from that?
He did, solely cause Fraction went LOL MINDWIPE NOW I DON'T REMEMBER DOING ANYTHING STUPID and everyone after that went "classic Tony"
>>
>>77748426
There are two good parts in Civil War, and they're basically just panels. One of them isn't even in the main book. There's the Amazing/Spectacular exchange between Spidey and Reed, and Cap's "No, You Move".

When the only good thing in a whole event and all it's tie-ins is two fucking panels, you've shat the bed hard
>>
>>77747204
Fucking this.
>>
>>77748474
Ironically enough, they fucked it up again with AvX. Editorial clearly wanted everyone to root for the Avengers, then the fans went "fuck you, Righclops is right", so Marvel got salty and have done nothing but character assassination to Scott
>>
File: 00-CW-CheckList.jpg (383 KB, 1236x1972) Image search: [Google]
00-CW-CheckList.jpg
383 KB, 1236x1972
I'm not from /co/ and new to comics but been reading through them. You don't really have to read in order, a lot of them take place simultaneously, they make references to what other characters are doing and you read their book for further details.

Some of them are boring and argue politics and nothing really happens, but when shit does go down it's great. It's hard to skip comics, some of them barely even feature the actual title characters of the comics and will be more about Cap/Tony/Spidey stuff happening from that characters perspective.

The Wolverine ones are my favorite.
>>
>>77748549
I give Fraction a pass on that one just because actually having to address everything from Civil and its aftermath would have consumed the comic for years.
>>
>>77748608
How is that a bad thing? His Iron Man was GOAT as fuck until that reset. After that, it was mediocre at best
>>
The retarded thing about this event is how the government spends billions on a super prison in another dimension and manages to capture hundreds of superheros and lock them up there with no chance of escape.

If the government has this kind of ability, why not use it on the actual Villians instead of the heroes?
>>
>>77748657
They had the help of all the supergeniuses
>>
>>77748478
That's the best part of Civil War right there
>>
>>77748623
You can only sustain that narrative for so long before it starts getting repetitive.
>>
>>77748474
It's good that it's not one-sided. They give solid reasons for both sides of the argument and let the reader decide which is better.
>>
>>77748547
>>77748549
Wait, fucking seriously? Holy fuck. That is awful.

>>77748571
What is the other good panel?
>>
>>77748683
it just seems funny that they are more organized and come up with better ways of arresting the people who aren't criminals then hey ever have with the ones who are trying to destroy the world.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.