[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is this actually good like Daredevil or is it just the usual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 11
File: Jessica-Jones-1-1200x674.jpg (160 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
Jessica-Jones-1-1200x674.jpg
160 KB, 1200x674
So is this actually good like Daredevil or is it just the usual internet hype that dies down after a few weeks?
>>
It's actually good like Daredevil if you don't get triggered by a show starring something with a pussy. You will find very little criticism that doesn't include /pol/ memes and that should tell you something.
>>
>>77745173
How about: It loses all tension about halfway through and becomes a repetitive Scooby Doo chase scene for six episodes too long, then ends anticlimactically and without any emotional or thematic resolution, settling for the most basic surface-level resolution of the main storyline while leave every sub-plot hanging.

From a story structure perspective, it was a goddamn mess. They shouldn't have stretched the Kilraven storyline, which was only the last four issues of the comics, into being the focus for the entire season. It should have been a slow build into it. They shot their load way too early and it suffered because of it.
>>
Daredevil is my favorite superhero, has been for about a decade. Also the first comics I bought when I was 13. That said, Jessica Jones is a better show. A lot of that has to do with DD not really feeling like a DD show. It's a really long origin story, so season 2 should be better. My favorite episode was Stick, because that really felt like classic DD instead of proto-DD. Tenant killed it as Killgrave, Nuke was pretty cool and it really just worked. It felt more like a superhero show than DD even with the grittiness. Although, I want to see Jessica meet Foggy in Defenders.
>>
>>77745173
this actually makes me want to watch it less. i thought it wasnt gonna talk about gender at all. can we get a good female character whose writing isnt about her being female
>>
so I'm confused

why did Kilgrave give Luke further orders of what to say to Jessica if he didn't know about his superpowers and thought the gas explosion at the bar would kill him? or did he know? if so how?
>>
>>77745261

it doesn't at all and some of the most unlikable characters are female, its just /pol/ and tumblr reaching for some drama
>>
>>77745247
>It felt more like a superhero show than DD even with the grittiness

How so? To me, it was deliberately anti-superhero. Jessica explicitly says she doesn't want to be one, and spends the series not superheroing. The whole point of the show is that it isn't about superheroes, it's about someone who could be a superhero, but doesn't want to.
>>
It's alright, but Jessica Jones is a huge idiot. She captures the bigbad like four times, doesn't kill him, and EVERY TIME someone she's close to dies.

Even when she finds out she is immune to him she still doesn't just rip his head off.

It made me so fucking pissed. But other than that...
>>
>>77745247

So what was the /co/nsenus on this anyway? I finished it late because college. Did people like it?

Also, the deaths are more personal in JJ. In DD it's Wesley, Urich and a bunch of goons. Jessica Jones made every death seem more painful by focusing on the charcters.
>>
>>77745308

This is a feature, not a bug.

This is on-purpose to show that Jessica is kind of shit. She needs to save Hope because she sees Hope as a stand-in for herself psychologically. She's less concerned with stopping Kilgrave as she is proving to the world that what she did when he was Purpling her wasn't her fault, so she keeps letting him go because she thinks she'll get the opportunity for that. She's selfishly single-sighted, and the show goes out of its way to portray her as wrong. It's a character flaw, not a plot hole.
>>
>>77745295

Jessica, Luke and Killgrave all have powers and use them in every episode. Daredevil barely has powers and if you take Miller's interperetation, just really good training. So maybe superhero isn't the right word, but superpowers were more prominent. DD just felt like a crime drama.

I mean, DD is my favorite hero and he only fought one classic DD villain on the show: Kingpin. JJ had two, Killgrave and Nuke.
>>
>>77745430
I think we're talking about different things when we think of superhero stories. You're talking about superheroes as a subject, which JJ definitely has, but I'm taking about superheroes as an archetype, which is what JJ avoids. In that sense, we're both right.
>>
>>77745268

not sure if i'm remembering correctly, but i'm pretty sure that killgrave did find out about cage's skin. he made cage explode the bar and tell jessica that killgrave didn't know about his powers in order to reduce suspicion and allow him to get in. jessica was suspicious anyway and waited 12 hours before fully trusting him again, but at that time killgrave knew that his powers were upgraded and that it would take longer.
>>
>>77745268
I don't think they explain how he finds out Cage has his powers, but he definitely had Cage tell Jessica that Kilgrave didn't know he had powers. He probably figured that Cage had powers because nobody without powers that Jessica's told about Kilgrave is likely to be dumb enough to approach him.
>>
>>77745228
This right here
At the start, Killgrave was fucking terrifying, he should've been that way at the end
and he simply wasn't
>>
>>77745261
It doesn't talk about gender though. Maybe you should watch it and find out for yourself.
>>
>>77745228
Yeah, I'll agree with this. The ending was really flat.
>>
>>77745228
youre just a misogynist
>>
It could have been good if they didn't make it 13 episodes long.

It had 6 maybe 7 episodes of good content stretched into 13.
>>
It's definitely not as good as Daredevil. It's not as well-made from a production standpoint first of all. It's obviously a Netflix original though so it's higher quality than the network superhero stuff on CW/ABC/CBS/etc and easily better than a fair bit of stuff out there. The narration in the first batch of episodes is so hammy and bad though, like who greenlighted that shit? Anyway, people are going to argue about whether the story's any good, but at least it's cohesive and coherent rather than monster-of-the-week bull. Solid show, but there will be (and already is) tons of complaining now that the hype has died down because there are both legitimate complaints and questionable choices made in the execution.
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 750x713) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 750x713
>>77745228
I agree with this statement. 6/10, watched for Nuke, Patsy and Luke mostly.
>>
>>77745173
It's actually a pretty annoying and frankly very stupid attitude to have for the very simple reason of why the fuck people keep pretending that female SUPERHEROES shouldn't be kicking ass or being tough.
>>
Why didn't Daredevil ever show up? That was pretty annoying.
>>
>>77745135

It's not a show I can power through, but I do like it. I'm been watching it in 3 show chunks and enjoying it doing that.
>>
>>77745135
Solid 7/10

Daredevil was easily a 9.
>>
It's incredibly boring and Kilgrave is a shitty villain.
Still better than the comic it was based on, though.
>>
So we are all in agreement that Killgrave did nothing wrong?
>>
>>77745393
Probably.

The setup is pretty crazy on the face of things. Jessica feels she can't just kill Kilgrave because if she does she feels it will condemn Hope. Hope is basically Jessica's "hope", her hope for some kind of victory or happy ending for someone who was subjected to the exact same shit Kilgrave put her through. The one thing Jessica felt she couldn't do was let Hope be punished for something she didn't really do, because this would be Jessica herself adding more hurt to the kid. This is something Jessica, for all her hardass ways, cannot allow. But sadly Hope is something of a false hope. The kids life is screwed nearly beyond repair. Even if she's let out of jail, as she says, everyone still blames her and the last immediate family she has left, her little brother, was told that she was dead too. She MAY be able to rebuild some kind of life and reputation but she can never have what was done to her erased and it will always, always hang over her head.

And then in the end Hope offs herself to force Jessica to do what she honestly should have done in the first place and avoided so much pain that Kilgrave caused. Hope herself had realized she was the one thing keeping Jessica from killing Kilgrave.

The interesting possibility is that Kilgrave himself set this up on purpose. He knows how to manipulate people even beyond using his power. He treated Hope exactly as he treated Jessica and then purposefully directed Hope's parents to get her on the case. I suspect, especially since he knew Jessica was immune, that Hope was used by Kilgrave as a means to keep Jessica from killing him. If true then well played. Jessica herself apparently never figured that out.
>>
>>77746589
Nuke did nothing wrong.
>>
>>77746589
How could we? He became obsessed with Jessica and that lead to his own death. If he was smarter he'd have really been living it up in some of the richest parts of the planet. He also could have found more powerful people to use as his plaything.

How screwed himself over by become fixated on the one thing he couldn't have just by using his voice. The one person who was immune to him, who was also therefore the greatest danger to him. How can we praise this man?
>>
>>77745135
>actually good like Daredevil
Daredevil wasn't good either.

They say, "It's a 13-hour movie!" and that's exactly right. There's enough solid plot for a movie, padded out into a season of television with filler.

You couldn't condense a season of Sopranos, Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones into a 2-hour movie, but Daredevil and Jessica Jones could, and would be be better if they were.

They're not taking advantage of the time. They're treating it as a problem.
>>
>>77746604
Should have taken enough red pills to render himself immune to fridging.
>>
Anyone else want to see Hellcat? Trish was the most likable character on the show. She'd love to have powers and be a superhero, unlike Jessica. I really hope, especially with the IGH cliffhanger, there's plans for this.
>>
Heres a question for /co/

If Killgrave told the Hulk to stop, would he?
>>
>>77746762
Hulk's probably immune as is Thor. Captain America, questionable.
>>
>>77746411
>It's obviously a Netflix original though so it's higher quality than the network superhero stuff on CW/ABC/CBS/etc

How the fuck can people say this when the Netflix capeshit shows have glaringly obvious budget restraints? Daredevil shows Matt's radar sense like one and then pretends the rest that it's just superhearing/smelling. JJ barely can show Jessica do anything beyond lock breaking and couple of times jumping down from really high place. Both shows have to resort to blatant filler to pad out episodes where people just sit around talking about the same shit we've had a dozen conversations about early because they can't afford doing anything else.
>>
>>77746779
There are budget constraints, sure, but there's actual fucking cinematography. It isn't shot like a soap opera like Supergirl or AoS or every CW show ever.
>>
>>77745135
It's not as good as Daredevil.

Nuke shouldn't even have been in this show, the whole "Oh my secret past experimenting with spec-ops drugs" thing is just bizarrely shoehorned in with no rhyme or reason. He should have been in Daredevil season 2.
>>
>>77746805
Daredevil season 2 is going to be Punisher and Elektra, with Matt establishing his life as Daredevil. I assume season 3 is going to be Born Again, where they bring Nuke in.
>>
>>77746484
Same reason Steve Rogers didn't show up in Daredevil. These are supposed to be their own shows that, while strongly tied together, can stand on their own.
>>
>>77746830
Then why did Luke Cage play a huge fucking role?
>>
>>77746589
He dindu nuffin.
>>
>>77746821
Yeah I know, it's just weird how bad the fit was in Jessica Jones. One minute JJ is saying "If you're so great, why did they kick you out of special ops?" with no response, and then several episodes later, out of fucking nowhere, the military shows up and goes "Sergeant Simpson, are you ready for these secret drugs that you really shouldn't take because they will fuck up your story arc for the rest of the season?"
>>
>>77746622
I think miniseries would have been the best format for both. Comic movies almost always feel super rushed because there's decades of history to get through and less than two hours to do it in.
>>
>>77746792

The first couple of episodes of Jessica Jones actually look like shit. And outside of some fight scenes, DD didn't have particularly good cinematography either.
>>
is it good like quality television good? comic book show good a as in at best little above average acting, with cheesy dialog, quips up the ass, and cheap fight scenes no better than your average power ranger show
i feel /co/ is full of shills, i know marvel shills here
>>
>>77746846
I know it's a comic book show, and all, but I found it really jarring that this random cop that got Kilgraved just HAPPENED to be part of a super secret military drug program.
>>
>>77745135
Better than the majority of stuff out there. But you should go in underatanding jessica is a fuck up who makea s bad decisions and that affects a lot of the plot
>>
>>77746873
*or comic book show good
>>
>>77746852

Comic movies feel rushed because they usually have the inherent need to do an origin for the hero/villain and that eats up time from the story.
>>
>>77746880
>>77746846
Yeah, Nuke was ultimately wasted.

I did like that they made his clothing emulate Chris Evans' clothes in the CA movies though.
>>
>>77746880
Eh, the entire show was like that.

The husband of the woman Jessica killed just so happened to have powers like her.
>>
>>77746897
For the first few episodes with him I kept thinking he looked exactly Evan's Steve. Now I know why. Neat.
>>
>>77746873
It's in that weird in-between zone where it's better than obvious cheesy/melodramatic crap but not as good as the obviously GOAT shows. I'd put it on par with stuff like Mr. Robot where there are obvious strong points to the show that might make it worth watching to some/a lot of people, but has some really glaring weaknesses that might ruin it for you.
>>
>>77746880

Not only that but he also knew a guy who could hook them up with the perfect abandoned CDC quarantine facility that was immediately ready for use and also turned it into a remote torture chamber without compromising the isolation.
>>
>>77746911
That one I didn't mind so much, since the whole point of that meeting is how rare it is to find other people with powers.
>>
>>77745135
Watching it now and loving it. just wish they weren't so shitty about her flying. there's times where she should but just doesn't cause it's hard to film
>>
>>77745261
It doesn't, that was the point he was making. It just happens to have a female lead. You're fucking retarded though, you should probably just kill yourself. Don't watch it.
>>
I didn't mind Nuke because he was at least a character in the story. His ending was rushed, but I liked his place in the narrative and he was a nice addition to the exploration of abuse the entire season had.

>>77746911

That was a little more forgiveable considering she explicitly looked for him, he didn't just trip and fall into the narrative like Nuke did.

>>77746873

It's way more focused on character and themes then pretty much any other cape show.

Consequently, it's also way slower and messier because of that. Plot is basically an irrelevant afterthought, and if you find that kind of storytelling boring you'll tear your hair out over it. I really enjoyed it but I'm not going to pretend it's for everyone, and it's pretty much the diametric opposite of Daredevil so if you were expecting that again you'll be disappointed.
>>
>>77746933
how much of the show's quality is really reliant on how good the editor was on cutting scenes, i notice a lot of modern shows and movies do that to keep dialog fast, while letting scenes that are suppose to be suspenseful or funny, just look awkward and out of place with the show
>>
>>77746911

And don't forget the next door neighbor junkie who has befriended Jessica and is her secret photo taking stalker and also happens to be the same person she rescued from a mugging a two years earlier, which by sheer coincidence also directly led to Kilgrave putting Jessica under his thrall the first time
>>
>>77746978

That wasn't coincidence, that was just more of Killgrave's trolling.
>>
>>77746589

His waifu a shit.
>>
The use of powers is ridiculously inconsistent in Jessica Jones, aka Lock Breaker Lass. Nuke is superhuman enough to throw people through walls but can't break through a goddamn bathroom door, Jessica throws people like they're made of straw but is easily taken down whenever the plot calls for it. She gets run down by a truck and all it really does is give her some nasty bruises but she's afraid of two dobermans, Luke can take an entire rugby team without effort but few gangsters are suddenly able to pin him down...
>>
>>77746966
The editing is fine. I think it has some pacing problems, but those are more from stretching the plot out across 13 episodes than in-episode continuity.
>>
>>77746995

How the fuck would Kilgrave find one random guy that got mugged, whose face isn't even shown until Kilgrave and Jessica walked away by the way, after a year and a half?
>>
>>77747027

>Nuke is superhuman enough to throw people through walls but can't break through a goddamn bathroom door

Plenty of shit-box apartments have walls that thin, it's honestly not that unrealistic.

>Jessica throws people like they're made of straw but is easily taken down whenever the plot calls for it

Welcome to comic books. DD had the exact same shit too.

>Luke can take an entire rugby team without effort but few gangsters are suddenly able to pin him down

That was pretty silly, but it felt like the writers never wanted to pin down how strong he was and force the Luke Cage showrunners to play by their rules.

>>77747039

It's not like he does much except rape women and eat spaghetti, he has plenty of spare time.
>>
>>77745135
Its very good, maybe not as good as Daredevil but still pretty great.
it has more of a noir , detective story vibe tho
Also Killgrave is one of my new favourite Marvelm villans
>>
Watched first chapter yesterday, it almost bored me to sleep. I'll continue a couple or episodes more but if its like this...
>>
>>77745228

Agreed. And them making Kilgrave the whole focus made it feel like Nuke was forced in there unnaturally. If they had a bunch of mini bosses while there's a mysterious case related to Kilgrave (known to us or not) that she investigates. That first episode was crazy and the end of the show should have felt like that.\

I still enjoyed the show and I'm looking forward to season 2. It did have a lot of problems though.
>>
>>77752004
I'm not sure the story needs or can support a second season, though. Jessica Jones was never really a regular main character. The one storyarc where she was the main focus is the one they just resolved. I'm guessing they'll just have her as a supporting character up until Defenders, when she and Luke get married or whatnot.
>>
>>77746591

I just realized that Kilgrave telling the parents about Jessica was more than a referral. He probably commanded them to hire her. Can't believe I didn't think of that earlier.
>>
>>77752091
I believe at some point they'll explore IGH either in season 2 or the defenders considering Its alluded that they gave powers to Matt and Cage too
>>
>>77745173
>It's actually good like Daredevil if you don't get triggered by a show starring something with a pussy
Allow me to redpill you: It's not because she's a female, it's because they throw their left wing politics in your face without you even knowing.
>Blacked
>Le feminism/10
>White girl + black man = harmony
>White girl + white man = Absolutely haram
>White man = Villain
>>
>>77752091

That's actually a great point, I didn't think of that. She'll probably play a role in Luke Cage but you're right that she probably can't support a second season. That's kind of why I wish they didn't end the season the way they did.
>>
Anybody else think they should have actually shown Jessica being controlled after the first time? I feel like the immunity thing should have been fought for, not just given to her.
>>
File: Average Brit.jpg (90 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Average Brit.jpg
90 KB, 1920x1080
>>77752349
>AraBrits
>white
I see what you're trying to do, Jamal and it's not working.
>>
>>77752432
Not my problem that you choose to ignore the most blatant problem in western media.
>>
>>77746837

Because Luke and Jessica are intricately tied in the comics. Their relationship has basically been their entire story since Jess was introduced and reintroduced Luke after ignoring him since the Disco tiara age. They've always been supporting characters in each others stories.

Daredevil and Jess by contrast are just two heroes from Marvel. Sure they meet occasionally in comics, but they've never been particularly close. It's like asking why Falcon is in Captain America movies but not Thor. Falcon was introduced and is primarily a Captain America supporting character. Thor isn't. The rarely team up outside of Avengers stories.
>>
>>77752349
Here is your (You) I guess
>>
>>77752457
I'm talking about you considering British "people" white, you dumb fucking faggot.
They're not white no matter how much you want it to be true. They're slightly more white than slav(e)shits and even that is going to change soon.
>>
>>77752482
>I'm talking about you considering British "people" white, you dumb fucking faggot.
I'm taking about whites in general, edgelord

>They're not white no matter how much you want it to be true. They're slightly more white than slav(e)shits and even that is going to change soon.
White is white in the eyes of leftists
>>
>>77746589

He did everything wrong. Also he's a sick fuck and if you root for him you are a sociopath with no empathy for people.
>>
>>77752536
>Also he's a dumb fuck and if you root for him you are an idiot with double-digit IQ
FTFY. I can't remember an antagonist that dumb in ages. Had he been remotely intelligent, rooting for him wouldn't be a problem
>>
File: 1422241813970.gif (2 MB, 199x200) Image search: [Google]
1422241813970.gif
2 MB, 199x200
>>77752536
>if you have empathy for someone you have no empathy for people
>>
>>77752530
And I don't give a fuck about what you were talking. The point of the conversation I started was that British are not white.
>telling the truth is edgy
Spotted a britkek. Go lick the cunt of your queen before muslims do that for you.
>>
>>77752576

You shouldn't have more empathy for Kilgrave just because he's too dumb to realize the hardships he had to endure as a kid was to keep him alive and his parents really did love him until he turned sociopathic over innocent people like Hope her family, the staff he "hired" and everyone else he fucks over.

If you do you're priorities are fucked.
>>
>>77752621
They are not real people you know. If anything being able to see things from the side of the villain and emphasise with him instead of the characters that are written to be likable takes MORE empathy.
>>
Wow sure went /pol/ fast
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 254x275) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 254x275
>>77752349
>this is what the shitheads from /pol/ actually believe
>>
>>77745228
>Kilraven
>>
>>77745430
>Barely has powers
Miller wrote away his powers in the comics that wasn't an interpretation.

DD objectively has powers and uses them heavily in the show
>>
>>77746591
someone make this a pasta for

>why doesn't Jessica kill the Purple Man

shits
>>
>>77752349
>White man = Villain

I thought he was supposed to be purple.
>>
>>77745135
its actually good. Kilgrave is a god tier villain, Jessica and Luke are both perfect, too.
>>
>>77753312
Isn't it the obvious answer? Jessica kept using Hope as her excuse and once Hope was dead then Jessica finally killed him.

>>77752270
Makes sense. Early in the season they asked why Kilgrave picked Hope and whether she was special too (i.e. had powers) but Jessica makes some offhand comment about him making do or some shit. Really though he did the exact same thing to Hope he did to Jessica, as far as we know. The dress, making her jump, even the anniversary complete with buying clothes, and the same damn restaurant even though it was now a different restaurant. And then he deliberately put Jessica on his trail by telling the parents to find her.

It's definitely one of Kilgrave's games. But was it just him throwing it in Jessica's face? Meant to make Jessica feel powerless against him? Or was it meant to build empathy with Hope so that Jessica couldn't NOT do everything to save her, even letting Kilgrave live?

Or a combination or all three. Regardless it was definitely something Kilgrave engineered from start to finish.
>>
>>77753894
obvious yes, but notice how many idiots brings it up
>>
>>77754004
I can understand that. Jessica is obviously capable of killing Kilgrave. Her decision not to, for any reason, still cost a heavy toll in lives and extra misery. Jessica herself knew there would be this price in facing Kilgrave.

The thing is Jessica's reason for not killing him seem paltry compared to the threat he represents. That's where people are having their problem. This isn't a "why doesn't batman just kill the joker" issue since this isn't so much a matter of principals. Jessica isn't a murderer by nature but with this guy she has no qualms.

To them her decision to let him live doesn't seem reasonable or rational. But that is the point. Jessica rarely makes rational or well-reasoned decisions. She's pissed all the time, drunk nearly all the time, panicky and paranoid when it comes to Kilgrave. And also very emotionally compromised. Jessica's reason is psychological, powerful and sensible only to her in her mindset. Between guilt and her own empathy she can't be the one who lets Hope continue to suffer. Jessica wasn't in a save the world mindset, or even in the whole numbers game that every person who dies after she decides she can't kill Kilgrave is on her until that collective suffering, or just the possibility, overrides what she feels for Hope. Jessica can't think like that, either because she can't or she just won't let herself.

Her decision makes things worse and in the end even Hope realizes she's the only thing holding Jessica back and kills herself (worth noting that Hope herself hasn't been thinking clearly for a very long time as well).

They want her choices to be logical, precisely reasoned, but Jessica is anything but. She isn't even a hero in the classical comic book sense and not just because she doesn't wear an outfit or use a codename. She's a very flawed human being with the instincts to be a hero, but who ends up struggling as much from all her emotional baggage as she does from external forces.
>>
This show was great except for Krysten Ritter. She is such an unlikeable actress it made the show a chore to watch at times.
>>
>>77745135
6/10. Slow middle, Ritter isn't a very good actor. Come for the Purple Man, stay for Luke, Nuke and Patsy.
>>
>>77755072
This guy gets it.
>>
I dont watch tv but seen normalfags on twitter, the kind of people who watch GOT, say this show is good.
>>
>>77755056
She did alright. though she acts like she's doped up to the gills most of the time. Although considering how much JJ drinks, that might be intentional.
>>
10 episodes in, I really like it so far, but it's starting to feel dragged, and the 10th episode in particular I had a few issues with. I've read the last 3rd is the weakest, so I guess it doesn't get better, but I actually liked the first 9 episodes more than Daredevil.
>>
File: pol is upset, but why.png (383 KB, 344x610) Image search: [Google]
pol is upset, but why.png
383 KB, 344x610
Whatever this show is, it's good enough to anger /pol/acks.
>>
>>77756574
Ah right, the bastion of traditional conservative and family values known as 4chan.
>>
>>77755056
The show is great except for the fucking main character of the show that you will have to see for 90% of the time?
>>
>>77757199
If they like the supporting cast around her then yeah. If anon said that she ruins every scene she's in THEN you'd have a point.
>>
>>77746292
Enjoy getting beat by your black lover
>>
>>77757639
wowie zowie that was a quick jump to racism
>>
>>77755056
Shit taste.
>>
File: Krysten-Ritter.jpg (660 KB, 1916x3000) Image search: [Google]
Krysten-Ritter.jpg
660 KB, 1916x3000
shes perfect fuck you all
>>
>>77759521
Just wank to Anne Hathaway, why waste time with the discount version

I realize it's Black Friday but Jesus anon
>>
>>77759521
>hideous goblin feet
>>
File: I am become love.jpg (92 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
I am become love.jpg
92 KB, 600x600
>>77759539
Look, we both know that Anne Hathaway, Emily Blunt, and Jessica Chastain are the goddesses of creation. No one disputes this fact.

However, you must let the commoners have their poverty waifus. Besides, Jessica Jones was enjoyable to say the least and Ritter's butt did look good in those jeans. Though, she's looking kind of hideous in >>77759521.
>>
I'm pretty sure she wore the same pair of Jeans for the entirety of the show
>>
Usual internet hype. There's nothing that amazing about it.

Its not a terrible show though. Its nowhere near as good as daredevil though
>>
>>77745135
It's weird.
>>
>>77746591
>Hope is basically Jessica's "hope", her hope for some kind of victory or happy ending for someone who was subjected to the exact same shit Kilgrave put her through. The one thing Jessica felt she couldn't do was let Hope be punished for something she didn't really do, because this would be Jessica herself adding more hurt to the kid.
And of course this has nothing to do with absolving herself of Reva's murder by proxy...
>>
>>77746880
Maybe Kilgrave asked around the station for someone to recommend him the most kill-happy cop in the NYPD.
>>
Literally ( L I T E R A L L Y) all the characters with the excepting of Luke, The Junkie who looks like Basquiat, and Killgrave are despicable and wholly unlikable
>>
>>77759881
The black detective fellow was pretty cool but otherwise, yeah. Were it not for Luke and Dr. Who, I wouldn't even watch this show.
>>
I want to give Luke a totally hetero handjob.
>>
The show gets hyped on the internet because it addresses the touchy subject of rape and rape survivors and has a main heroine who is damaged and irrational.

This doesn't mean it's actually fun to watch, because the main character is pretty much designed to be a black hole of misery that sucks all the fun out of every scene she's in.

>UGH BREEDERS
>THIS REMINDS ME WHY I'M SINGLE
>MY WEAKNESS IS THAT SOMETIMES I GIVE A SHIT
>I BREAK THIS GAME BOY BECAUSE EVERYTHING REVOLVES AROUND ME

And her lips are too big.
>>
>>77759881
>Kilgrave
>not despicable

Come on, man. He was fun but the guy was a sociopath.
>>
>>77759955
>And her lips are too perfect
ftfy
>>
am I the only one who found Trish to be absurd? one episode nuke is choking her to death the very next episode she is riding his dick.

talk about a 180.
>>
Why didn't Jessica jump out the window and look for the blue pills?
>>
File: jessica-jones_2.jpg (30 KB, 740x493) Image search: [Google]
jessica-jones_2.jpg
30 KB, 740x493
Jessica's neighbors are a shining example of double standards.

Can you imagine if their roles had been reversed so that the male twin is the jealous, paranoid, and controlling one, and the female twin is the shy, awkward, and submissive one?
>>
>>77760015
To be fair, she's a child star and almost all child stars grow up to be fucked up adults. With that said, her story arc is one of the worst story arcs in the entire fucking show. Her whole character is "baawww I want to be stronk."
>>
>>77754440

>she isn't even a hero in the classical sense

The decision not to kill is very much in line with Batman, Superman, Spiderman, and Daredrvil. I'm not an SJW but your argument does smack of a sexist double standard.
>>
>>77755056
She's supposed to be shitty and unlikeable. But I still enjoyed her character and I thought Ritter did fine.
>>
>>77760317
Not that anon, but the show and Kilgrave go out of their way to explain that Jessica is trying to save Hope in order to redeem herself.
>>
>>77760317
You left out the "comic book" part of your quote, anon. That's the point of Alias. Jessica TRIED being a hero, costume and secret identity and everything. It ended badly. The rest of the book was what she did afterward. She wasn't trying to be Batman or Superman or Spiderman or even Daredevil. She could still manage to help people, or at least try.

The funny thing about whatever the hell argument you are trying to make is gender has NOTHING to do with that, so who knows why you're bringing it up.
>>
>>77759825
Why would it? How could it?

Hope wasn't connected to the Reva subplot. Luke was. She never sought forgiveness for what happened to Reva and she sure as hell didn't forgive herself.
>>
>>77760317
Not him, but her decision was totally different. She doesn't value his life or sees it as the line that separates them. It's pretty explicitly stated she wants to save Hope in an attempt to wipe her conscious clean from her time being Killgraved.

She wasn't holding herself to a higher standard or anything.
>>
>>77745135
Yes. The lead is pretty much a noir PI protag with a dark past played straight, she just happens to be female. The villain is a mind-rapist who is pretty much always fun to watch despite being a total monster. The supporting cast is well fleshed out, and while there aren't as many backdoors to other marvel properties as daredevil, the character development throughout the entire series is pretty top notch. The plot loses a little momentum in the final act, but because the characters relationships with themselves and each other continue to grow throughout, it doesn't matter too much. The final stretch does have a few infuriating moments where characters knowingly or unknowingly enable the villain's escape. All in all it's a strong B- from me, with daredevil being a B+ (The supporting characters are the only issue for DD in its third act). I would have liked the creators to have added a tertiary antogonist or maybe some more shadow organizations/villains a la Daredevil to give the series an episode or two to breath, but that's just me.
>>
>>77760497
I don't think it was about erasing her guilt or her own pain, but it was definitely important that she help someone who was in nearly the same situation she was in herself. The fact that it was probably impossible, since even if she managed to best the evil mind controller Hope's like was a fucking wreck, but Jessica was making an emotional decision rather than a reasoned one. Jessica was desperate for a win for Hope, some kind of happy ending, she was blind to everything else. It may have made Jessica feel better if she'd succeeded but honestly probably not too much. Hope was never a real hope.
>>
>>77760586
Yeah it obviously wouldn't fix Hope's life, but Jessica felt like she couldn't just let someone's life get perma-fucked like life in prison because of Killgrave. She might feel like her life couldn't get any worse after what he did to her, but she thinks she can stop that from happening to Hope (even though she would have been mentally fucked anyways just like Jessica)
>>
By the way, my personal theory on Jessica beating Killgrave's control involved getting that woman's blood on her, meaning her enhanced immune system was finally able to create an antidote to Killgrave's abilities.
>>
>>77760496
Hope went through the exact same things as Jessica, culminating in her killing her parents under Purple orders. If Hope is innocent of that killing, then by extrapolation Jessica should also be innocent of killing Reva.
>>
>>77760652
Life couldn't get much worse for Hope.

The point I think was that Jessica became obsessed with somehow fixing Hope's life. It wasn't going to happen, especially with Kilgrave still breathing, but Jessica wouldn't let herself see it. Hope saw it. That's why she took herself out of the equation.
>>
>>77760720
The point was that Jessica could tell Hope that she wasn't guilty of killing her parents, and mean it. But when it came to what Jessica did to Reva she couldn't forgive herself.

It especially didn't help when Kilgrave points out he never told Jessica to kill Reva, the murder was Jessica's own idea/interpretation of Kilgrave's order.

At any rate helping Hope was never going to erase or even ease what Jessica felt about Reva, even before Kilgrave said he hadn't ordered it.
>>
Speaking of Jessica, her most famous book's Alias, right?

I assumed it was somekind of a mini-series, instead it's 28 issues. Will the Bendis-speak be tollerable throughout?
>>
Why was Kilgrave so adept at playing mindgames and generally fucking with people (well, Jessica)? Isn't his power basically instant gratification? He can get what he wants so easily most of the time, you wouldn't think he would know what he's doing when it comes to long cons.
>>
>>77761306
It's some of Bendis' best work.
>>
>>77761452
He can get people to tell them their secrets and then understand how they think from there.
>>
>>77761306
It's really bad. You're not just getting Bendis-speak, you're getting Bendis-paneling with tons of reused art in addition to the repetitive dialogue.
>>
>>77760524
The first episode in particular reminded me of Veronica Mars, which Ritter was in. I wondered if any of the people behind the show were fans.
>>
>>77755072
>Ritter isn't a very good actor.

This is probably the main thing stopping me from trying it

She's been awful in everything I've seen her in
>>
>>77760744

I think Jessica figured that if Hope was done, it's over her life is fucked and she might as well just kill herself or rot in jail forever than it was the same with her.

Hell at the end she's just sitting there broken, suggesting it's true, and Jessica sees no point in living anymore.
>>
>>77745135
Yea if you're a keklord
>>
>>77747039
>go to police station or hospital
>"A guy got mugged on this date. What was his name?"
Super easy for him.
>>
>>77747027
>aka Lock Breaker Lass.
kek

>Luke can take an entire rugby team without effort but few gangsters are suddenly able to pin him down.
The rugby guys were all wasted.
>>
>>77760810

I still don't quite get why Jessica alone thinks that only she is in the wrong for doing what Kilgrave controlled her but everybody else is in the clear.

Actually Luke does the same thing and blames her and her alone.

What it is about the Reva incident that's so special.
>>
File: meh.jpg (30 KB, 900x736) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
30 KB, 900x736
>>77745135
It's a poor mans PI who gets played like a fiddle for the entire season by some bogeyman.

I watched the entire thing and while it was interesting enough to keep me watching, I was irritated the entire time watching her screw up and get played again and again and again...
>>
>>77762909
>I still don't quite get why Jessica alone thinks that only she is in the wrong for doing what Kilgrave controlled her but everybody else is in the clear.
That's her trauma talking. When you go through something fucked up like that you don't think 100% rationally. It's not realistic for her to just go "Welp, I was being mind controlled, no guilt for me!"
>>
>>77762473
I don't think it's that bleak but yeah it's a pretty bleak ending. Everything she's gone through and she's nearly right back at square one. Sure Kilgrave is dead but his shadow still hangs over her, the pain is still there. Jessica is still damaged, in fact more damaged. And there's the irony that not only did she fail to help Hope she was forced to do what everyone told her to do in the beginning: kill Kilgrave. Her (as far as we know only) deliberate killing. And...she gets off with no punishment. Why? Because by this time there's been so much shit that's gone down that there are too many witnesses. The DA doesn't dare risk putting Jessica on trial in case the "I was mind controlled" excuse explode worse than it did earlier in the season. Basically Jessica gets off with killing in the same way they refused to let Hope out and what saved her was how much of a mess everything had become. There is an irony there that's definitely not helping Jessica's mood.

Then to top it off suddenly everyone is looking to her for help. Basically this was not a show about getting over trauma and moving past it. Jessica is in a pretty dark place right now. But I don't think she'll kill herself or even wishes she was dead. She's miserable but she'll probably get over it. Only she's probably attracted nasty people too with her newfound popularity, and almost certainly the people who were responsible for her powers will take a newfound interest in her.
>>
>>77762909
Pretty much what >>77762987 said. Hope didn't believe she was really innocent from the murder of her parents either. Their trauma is probably fairly similar, in terms of how emotionally damaging. For Hope she murdered her own parents and left her little brother alone in the world. For Jessica, we know thanks to Kilgrave asking that Jessica is a truly heroic person in her motivations, so the act of killing a stranger rocks the foundations of who she is. An act so contrary to who she is that the series presents this as somehow the moment that lets Jessica break free of Kilgrave permanently.

I'm not 100% sure about that last one. It's all in the timing, of course, and it could be part of it. But I suppose it could have been Jessica's prolonged exposure? Or very likely something to do with her accelerated healing? Her powers allowed her to eventually develop an immunity to his virus. Or a combination, I guess.
>>
>>77762940
she needed a second real villain to start it, before kilgrave.

like daredevil had the russians
>>
>>77763692
Yeah a side villain wouldn't have hurt. Technically that became Nuke. I hate to say it but Jessica's worst nemesis beyond Kilgrave was Jessica herself.

>>77762940
She WAS a "poor man's PI". That was her entire business. She had a shitty office in her shitty apartment in Hell's Kitchen and the cases we saw her dealing with were all really seedy ones.

The thing is she wasn't a BAD private investigator, as such. She did some decent work and if she can get her shit together she could use the job and her powers to make something decent. Problem is she's a "hot mess" as they said. Her emotional problems, her drinking problems, and the fact that she was distracted most of the time dealing with Kilgrave to handle either her job or her personal life didn't help.

I wish there was more detective work involved myself, but it definitely wasn't going to happen in this season. We'll have to see what happens in season 2. She's still a wreck but despite herself her business is taking off.
>>
>>77762940

This. I mean it was compelling I guess, but I just came out of the whole show feeling low and like shit. Like life sucks and exists solely to fuck me in the ass.

A far cry from how I usually feel after watching Marvel feeling great, that goodness is supreme in the world and life is just dandy and if it a mugger jumps out at me on the walk to my car I can just scream justice and knock him out with my fists of rightousness.

I don't like this feeling. It sucks.
>>
>>77759693
They were a really good pair of jeans. They cupped her ass perfectly.
>>
Why didn't Kilgrave carry a gun for emergencies?
>>
BLACKED
L
A
C
K
E
D
>>
It would have been incredibly boring if Kilgrave and Trinity weren't so damn good.

Show should have ended when they had him in the tank. It's greatest sin was just overstaying its welcome.
>>
>>77767981
his distorted moral compass meant that he felt no guilt so long as he never got his hands dirty. Actually killing someone rather than just demanding that they die would mess with his head
>>
>>77746153
>At the start, Killgrave was fucking terrifying
He reached peak evil. Even his bullshit sob story was used to show how awful he was as a person. The problem with having a sole antagonist is that you have to build them gradually. Kilgrave's "anyone could be controlled" thing was "played" suspenseful but only used once with Luke at the end, and was only used flippantly to disbelieve someone, before they turned around and believed anyway.

With Kilgrave, every immoral and horrible act someone commits for him only increases HIS malevolence and evil. With Fisk, he had multiple people working for their own reasons with his operation. There was an overarching and final villain in Fisk, but each episode played different antagonists and sometimes multiple. Kilgrave is the only bad guy, aside from a Nuke at the end and the two distracting assassins. It's understandable that Kilgrave is THE villain attached to Jessica, but it's still not enough to last the season without getting very exhausting. Fisk was built up genuinely as a person and a driving force while we were dealing with underlings and associates. Other antagonists who actually are capable of challenging the hero, and moreover, damaging them. Jessica Jones was only disadvantaged at times, only weak when dealing with Nuke the once.

To go from the physical consequences of Daredevil to Jessica Jones' cosmetic damages was a major disappointment.

Additionally, Jessica's problems with Kilgrave were never really present in her acting with him. She has freakouts, yes, but when she's with him she's never seeming on edge. If she's terrified of being controlled, she should be on edge with every word, because anything he says can enslave her again. That's distractingly absent.
Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.