[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For the longest time I dismissed Marvel comics as "not my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: dr strange.jpg (120 KB, 550x836) Image search: [Google]
dr strange.jpg
120 KB, 550x836
For the longest time I dismissed Marvel comics as "not my thing". I thought they put too much emphasis on superhero teams, which I never really dug. I just thought of Marvel as "those Avengers guys" and "those X-Men guys".

My perception started to change with the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye series. It had really cool non-standard art, and the story didn't take itself too seriously (another one of my perceived faults of marvel was that they were more grounded and "realistic" compared to DC).

Now, I've just read the first too issues of the new Doctor Strange series and I absolutely love it. Magic is so awesome in the Marvel universe. I really like how the number one descriptor for the occult is "weird", not "spooky", or "powerful" or something like that. This series has maybe my favorite portrayal of magic in any fiction ever.

Now I'm wondering what I have missed in all my years of comic reading? Are there any gems that you would recommend to anyone who hasn't read very much Marvel, but loved these two mentioned comics?
>>
>>77738772
>This series has maybe my favorite portrayal of magic in any fiction ever.
Christ, read more.
>>
File: Thor - God of Thunder 005-000.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
Thor - God of Thunder 005-000.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2951
>>77738772
You are the first opinion I've seen of the new Dr Strange comic.
Lee & Ditko Strange.
I'm starting on the original Silver Surfer run..
Pic related. Though I've been told it's a cheap knockoff of an earlier run by Dan Jurgens. (Haven't read much any old Thor)
>>
File: 1442588954309.jpg (147 KB, 877x509) Image search: [Google]
1442588954309.jpg
147 KB, 877x509
>>77738772
Man...I am a DCfag, not a Marvelfag...but...man...said comic that you are praising is know for being a piece of shit BECAUSE it handle the magic of Dr.Stramge on a very stupid way.

Really, you should look for older Dr.Strange series, they were trully magnificent.

Also, DC has magick working by belief, on Marvel it is just another science. I would say that any Vertigo comics like Sandman, Kucifer or Hellblazer would show you a much more "grounded on mystical" style story than most of Marvel.

Man, you must be someone working for Marvel, because no one would have so much of a shit taste.
>>
>>77738772
There's the upcoming Scarlet Witch, and going back there's the old Doctor Strange comics and his appearances in various crossovers such as Infinity Gauntlet.
>>
>>77739451
Marvel shills are working really hard on thanksgiving day. Literally not a single preview thread for DC, but literally a preview for every single Marvel comic.
>>
>>77739451
>>77739245
>the way you like your fictional magic system is wrong, the way I like my fictional magic system is right
fucking ridiculous
>>
>>77738772
Hi Aaron
>>
>>77739515
no one said that, faggot.
>>
>>77739427
>Though I've been told it's a cheap knockoff of an earlier run by Dan Jurgens
Umm not really.
>>
>4chan thinks its so important as a paying consumer demographic that people think that Marvel would decide to shill random comics here
I don't even think /co/ contributes to even 100 of any given purchase for a single title given how many pirates there are here
>>
>>77739553
Then why they are shilling here? Because you're not going to tell me that the ANAD Dr Strange could change anyone's perception of magic in comic books? How underage said person has to be?
>>
>>77739577
they aren't shilling here

stop being buttblasted that people don't give a shit about DC
>>
File: magick.png (206 KB, 311x339) Image search: [Google]
magick.png
206 KB, 311x339
>>77739515
Uh? No, I said MY opinion.

And OP said that he wanted a story where magic was more mystical, when the writters of this serie said that they were going to do the opposite of it, trying to be different from previous incarnations of Strange that WERE more mystical.

So I said that there is much better options that he could check that try to emulate what he likes.

You seems triggered.
>>
>>77739603
But I prefer Image...
>>
>>77739652
no one gives a shit about image either m8
>>
>>77739632
I know that this is bait, but OP was the one that cited DC on it.

Do you deny what I said about it tho?
>>
>>77739662
Which is fine by me. The last thing I want is capeshit nerds poisoning the storytimes.
>>
>>77738772
>this is your favorite portrayal of magic in any fiction ever
so I guess you don't read much fiction
>>
File: acording to plan.jpg (67 KB, 285x199) Image search: [Google]
acording to plan.jpg
67 KB, 285x199
>>77738772

>Shill from marvel post a stupid thread to get /co/ mad and start promoting his comic based on our hate.

> suddenly, OP desapears, but what we have here? Someone shitposting that everyone who hated the comic is a angry dc fan.

>Geez, I wonder if someone is trying to start a company war in order to make this thread have some attention.
>>
>>77739427
It's better tbf
>>
>>77739577
Most people aren't as enlightened as you are, anon. It's a burden, I know.
>>
>>77739772
I hope you won't mind, but it's going to be my new copypasta
>>
I just don't fucking get how people can just read one company and not the other.
>>
>>77738772
>my favorite portrayal of magic in any fiction ever.

hey anon, it's great that you have found something you enjoy but you really need to read more if this is your fav magic system. Give these a try some day.
>Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan)
>Mistborn/Stormlight archive (Brandon Sanderson)
> The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss)
>Worm (web serial, found here https://parahumans.wordpress.com/)
There are hundreds of great novels with interesting magic systems, unfortunately I've mainly read fantasy without magic or sci-fi, so I can't recommend much more. Read The Rook (Daniel O'Malley) though, it is absolutely top notch.

as for comics:
>Fullmetal Alchemist (/a/, can be watched or read, manga is better)
>Hellboy
>Saga (be a /co/ntrarian if you like but you can't deny that magic system)
>Berserk (m/a/nga, takes a while for magic to develop but it is interesting. Concept of demons is cool too)
>DC Book's of Magic
>Hellblazer
>>
>>77739993
Me, I can't understand why that skeleton is living in my closet and tries to scare me at night.
>>
>>77739451
Marvel is better with cosmic superhuman abilities than it is the supernatural. Though I will say that 70's Ghost Rider is an exception
>>
>>77740018
i've read all of those

it's still my favorite magic system
>>
>>77739577
Does someone having a different perspective than yours really seem more unlikely than billion dollar companies giving a shit about /co/?
>>
>>77740106
than write in short sentences, what is every one of these book / comic about
>>
>>77740189
Yes, if the perspective is too retarded to be real.
And I mean, more retarded than usual
>>
>>77740018
>> The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss)

Here is one of the best magic systems that I ever saw, but saddly the actual books are mediocre, and the MC is a giant mary sue.

Kouth should have been expeled at the end of the first book, and them going to do some real "great" shit, the book sells him as this high fantasy hero bard that is a legend, but the actual content is "nope, it is mostly exagerated rumors from college! Ok, I see what you tried here author, but its not as interesting as you sold us.
>>
>>77740208
Well you're an idiot then. You'd think you'd have learned that nothing is too stupid to be someone's opinion.
>>
>>77740245
There is stupid, and there is pretending to be stupid
>>
File: image.png (365 KB, 607x727) Image search: [Google]
image.png
365 KB, 607x727
>>77740106
Marvel doesn't even have a fucking magic "system".
>>
>>77739427
>Pic related. Though I've been told it's a cheap knockoff of an earlier run by Dan Jurgens. (Haven't read much any old Thor)
NO, it is fucking NOT.
Taking influence and ideas from something and doing new and different things with them is not the same thing as ripping something off, especially when you do it better in EVERYWAY from the original source.
God Butcher, God Bomb has 2 aspects of similarity to Jurgens run, both use a future vision of Thor and Both have a Villain that is basically a serial killer of gods.
Desak in the Jurgens story was only faintly cool, and never menacing, Gorr in Aaron's stuff is fucking horrifying.
And Desak was a little more than a prop, with very little character, Gorr and his interaction with Thor thru out time and his legacy in the Universe is the entire focus of his arcs.
Jurgen's story was using a future were Thor becomes tyrant over the earth, Aaron's future Thor is in a future where the earth is dead and He is left alone in Asgard at the end of time and Gorr's endless constructs won't let him leave or die.
And Esad Ribic on Aaron's run is a much better artist than Scott Eaton or Tom Raney from the Desak stuff.
>>
>>77739993
>and not the other.
>THE other

kill your fucking self
>>
I'm OP and I'm back. Sorry, I was eating turkey.

A lot of you are suggesting I should read old Doctor Strange. I fully plan to. Should I start with the early Lee/Ditko stuff, or is there a better place to start reading?

There is also a lot of shitting on how much I like the magic in it. Let me elaborate/explain. I have read a shit-ton of fantasy fiction in my life, and I stick with what I said. The occult in this comic, stand up with the best IMO.

Firstly, I really like that there is no defined "system" of magic (at least as far as I know), while still getting the feeling, as a reader, that the character understands how it works. I like this because, to me, is makes the world of magic (dimensions, soulscapes, wizard bars, all that cool shit) seem alive. It would be boring for me to read if I knew the intricacies of whatever the characters were doing, then all I'd be thinking about is "It would have worked better if you did..." Essentially, the more vague it is, the more mystical it feels.

Second, the magic reminds me of the bizarre, blasphemous, and often psychedelic (which is reinforced very well by the art) qualities of old school pulp fantasy fiction. It seems like the kind of magic that would be at home in a Jack Vance or Fritz Leiber story and that is incredibly cool to me.
>>
>>77739993
I disagree with DC's superheroes damn near being gods/myths and the obsession with trying to humanize superman.

I read some dc, but not much.
>>
>>77740018
no JiM/Loki?
>>
>>77741996
...Did you and I argue about indies vs. capeshit at the dining room table like two hours ago?
>>
>>77740018
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm already a Hellboy, Saga, and Fullmetal Alchemist fan. I'll definitely check out the others.
>>
>>77740086
I know this is going to get me more hate for my shitty tastes, but I really liked the Ghost Rider movie (at least the ideas they played around with in it, not as much the story or acting). I think I'll look into those comics.
>>
>>77740018
>saga
>magic system
There's a flying tree and three people use spells once or twice. Unless the last few issues have really developed how magic works there isn't really much of a magic system at all
>>
>>77742227
Man, I wish. I just had an uncle who thought DC was going to alienate the general public due to the massive confusion of having TV shows that are separate from their films, and then stated he was glad he didn't read comics because he'd just be far too confused.

I tried to break it down as simply as possible for him but hey, what can you do?
>>
>>77742138
isn't Vancian magic very rule-bound
>>
>>77742807
Sort of, mostly I meant it in a flavor sort of way. Weird spell names, incomprehensible alien entities, the idea that magic itself is alive, in a way.
>>
File: 0_438f5_892630b5_XXXL.jpg (382 KB, 853x1280) Image search: [Google]
0_438f5_892630b5_XXXL.jpg
382 KB, 853x1280
if you want more Strange then you absolutely have to check out "the oath" by brian k. vaughan. its like 20 bucks and you dont need to read anything else to enjoy it.
>>
>>77738772
The new Doctor Strange series is awful and you have awful taste for liking it.

His character has become textbook "quirky jokester superhero", so has his manner of speech, and the magical system is the trite "all power requires sacrifice".

Because heaven forbid someone manage to gain mystic power through understanding and acceptance of the universe, themselves and the forces within.

Nope? You want to flight a fireball? Better drown a few puppies.
>>
>>77742281
I've only read Ghost Rider up through his intial run in Marvel Spotlight and I'll be damned if it isn't really fucking good. Never really had much interest in the 90's revival with Danny Keitch
>>
>>77739501
>Literally not a single preview thread for DC, but literally a preview for every single Marvel comic.
Maybe because Marvel puts out their previews on Thursdays while DC does it on Mondays, you colossal fucking casual. Stop screaming "shills" to try and fit in.
>>
>>77739501
>Robin War
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.