[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Continuity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
File: convergencewrap1.jpg (124 KB, 575x442) Image search: [Google]
convergencewrap1.jpg
124 KB, 575x442
Hello all. Can anyone explain the current state of DC continuity (such as it is)?

I know that the new normal is "continuity lite," with a focus more on good stories. At least, that's what I hear... And I hear there's now an infinite number of alternate universe (rather than none or just 52)... And all past stories, be they New 52, pre-Crisis, post-Crisis, etc are all "true" and fair game, I think. Correct? Is this an accurate description of the situation, and how do you all think it's turning out?

Also, any word on how this has been going for DC? Have sales been better or worse with this new normal? Does it look like they're gonna stick to it? Or do you think another reboot/Crisis/whatever is inevitable?

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed to death. I'm a longtime comics reader (mostly Marvel), but a relative stranger to /co/... If there's a recent discussion of the topic you can point me toward, that'd be fine too.

Thanx bros!
>>
According to DC story comes before continuity which means that the writers make stuff up as they go along.
>>
>>77716455
>I know that the new normal is "continuity lite," with a focus more on good stories. At least, that's what I hear... And I hear there's now an infinite number of alternate universe (rather than none or just 52)... And all past stories, be they New 52, pre-Crisis, post-Crisis, etc are all "true" and fair game, I think. Correct? Is this an accurate description of the situation, and how do you all think it's turning out?
It's still the same post Flashpoint continuity, just now there is allegedly an infinite multiverse out there too

New 52 continuity is mostly unchanged, aside from a handful of characters from Convergence floating around

The "continuity lite" stuff mostly just means there's less strict continuity between books, like Justice League and JLA ignoring the member's solo status quo changes, although most of the book groups still keep continuity with each other (i.e. the Superman books all have t-shirt Supes, the GL books all touch on interconnected story elements) and I really like this approach

>Also, any word on how this has been going for DC? Have sales been better or worse with this new normal? Does it look like they're gonna stick to it? Or do you think another reboot/Crisis/whatever is inevitable?
The books that continued past Convergence have mostly the same sales, the new books mostly have shitty sales which is disappointing because a lot of them were great

They will reboot again eventually but not for 20+ years.
>>
dc's main brand is the new 52 universe, even if they dropped THE NEW 52 moniker. That's Earth 0 and theres 52 earths all together, but infinite variations of each.

The Flashpoint event changed all 52 worlds in one way or another, as they existed since the Infinite Crisis event that rebirthed the Multiverse which had been missing since the late 80s when the first Crisis wiped them all out.
>>
>>77716455
What is this, a call center? Fuck off and go look it up.

>>77716506
>>77716632
>spoonfeeding
It's because of you nobody on /co/ reads comics. They don't have to since you idiots just tell them everything.
>>
>>77716455
52 Earth's I think is still the current thing, except they now also are gonna explore the other multiverses in multiversity 2. Though really it's just a way for grant morrison to write the flash book he's been dying to write.
>>
I don't think even DC understand DC continuity or cosmology at this point. Seriously the ending of Convergence makes no fucking sense. Even the writer said he isn't sure how it ties together and what DC's multiverse looks like now. And DC management are beyond the point of caring so are just letting writers do their own thing.
>>
>>77716701
Go back to /a/ you elitist faggot.
>>
File: Convergence-660x495.jpg (171 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
Convergence-660x495.jpg
171 KB, 660x495
>>77716788
>I don't think even DC understand DC continuity or cosmology at this point. Seriously the ending of Convergence makes no fucking sense. Even the writer said he isn't sure how it ties together and what DC's multiverse looks like now. And DC management are beyond the point of caring so are just letting writers do their own thing.

Wow. Well... maybe that's a good thing?
>>
>>77716851
Go back to your hugbox, retard. You brought the casuals here, and because of you they won't leave. They will continue to shitpost and make the board even worse and even more centered around bitching about Tumblr. Kill yourself.
>>
Current DC still has stricter continuity than current Marvel, so they are pretty normal. All this story over continuity resulted in reducing constant crossovers that plagued early Nu52 and adding some non-canon comedy books.
>>
>>77717701

So the past stories, which happened pre-New52, are still erased?
>>
>>77716776
>Though really it's just a way for grant morrison to write the flash book he's been dying to write.
Flash fan catching up on new 52 here (I stopped when I saw black Wally West).

How is this new stuff influencing flash? I heard that convergence pulled proper Wally into the fold?
>>
>>77718041
Not erased, more like put on the shelf.
Pre-flashpoint Superman and Lois have a comic now that spun off of Convergence.
And Zero-Hour Parallax is supposed to show up in Telos, I think.
>>
>>77717681
>FUCKING CASUALS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
kill yourself
>>
>>77718490
DUDE CASUAL LMAO

DUDE DRUGS DONT ACTUALLY PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THEY JUST MAKE THE MUNDANE SEEM DEEP LMAO

DUDE EGO DEATH IS A MEME LMAO

DUDE DRUG INDUCED EGO DEATH IS NOT REAL BECAUSE NOTHING CAN SEPERATE US FROM THE SUM OF OUR EXPERIENCES WITHOUT PERMANTENTLY DAMAGING THE BRAIN LMAO
>>
File: Silver implyer.png (113 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Silver implyer.png
113 KB, 250x250
>>77716455
>DC
>continuity
>>
>>77716506
That's not what it means, dumbass.
>>
>>77718706
>Marvel
>continuity

ftfy
>>
File: 1447426164464.png (223 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1447426164464.png
223 KB, 510x346
>this thread
>>
Hypertime works in allowing for multiple interpretations of timelines to exist within single universes. It isn't overarching, but it is entirely open to infinite possibilities; you can't get to the stories of "Kingdom Come" from Earth-0, but you can get to the 1939 "Action Comics" #1 from the 2011 "Action Comics" #1.

The Multiverse makes up for the impossibilities by making the various Earths of the Multiverse those possibilities. While you can't get to "Kingdom Come" from Earth-0, you can get to "Kingdom Come" from Earth-22.

Or something along those lines, at least.
>>
>>77718682
Are you okay?
>>
>>77718792
DUDE HELP ME LMAO
>>
>>77718490
It's true though. Nobody on this board actually reads comics, and they never will if you just keep spoonfeeding them information.
>>
>>77718894
>Nobody on this board actually reads comics, and they never will if you just keep spoonfeeding them information.

OP here. I read comics, motherfucker. I just don't read a lot of DC.

That being the case, DC's vast canvas is -- from my somewhat removed vantage point -- opaque, a morass, nigh incomprehensible. To grasp it well, at this point, would require me to read a fuckton of comics old and new that I simply don't want to read. (I'm too busy reading the comics I do like.) But I'm curious about the subject, so I asked.

I figured you guys at /co/ would know, and clearly some of you guys do. Some folks here have given pretty coherent, helpful answers... Or at least insightful opinions.

Now stop flipping out, you come across like a sperglord.
>>
File: Elseworld's_Finest_Vol_1_2.jpg (93 KB, 500x766) Image search: [Google]
Elseworld's_Finest_Vol_1_2.jpg
93 KB, 500x766
OP here again. I'm enjoying (most of) the responses, thank you /co/!

>>77718786
>Hypertime works in allowing for multiple interpretations of timelines to exist within single universes.

Well, this sounds familiar enough... I think...?

In this case, are you talking about, like, for example: in Marvel, Iron Man's origin first happened in Korea, but then "slid" to Viet Nam, then to a fictional Southeast Asian country, then to the middle east. But all the stories still happened. Like that sorta thing?

But... that different than DC's continuity reboots, which are much more explicit. Are you saying that each universe has, like, subcategories of timeline? Like, Earth-1A, Earth-1B, etc?

>It isn't overarching, but it is entirely open to infinite possibilities;

This phrase is a bit too vague for me to understand. Halp.

>you can't get to the stories of "Kingdom Come" from Earth-0

When you say "Earth-0" you mean DC's current "Earth Prime," yes? OK, I can follow that.

>but you can get to the 1939 "Action Comics" #1 from the 2011 "Action Comics" #1.

You lost me.

>The Multiverse makes up for the impossibilities by making the various Earths of the Multiverse those possibilities.

Okay, that's cool. That I understand. But there's still only a mere 52 universes? Is that accurate?

>While you can't get to "Kingdom Come" from Earth-0, you can get to "Kingdom Come" from Earth-22.

That's perfectly clear, sure.

>Or something along those lines, at least.

Oy.

re: past stories which happened pre-New52:
>>77718483
>Not erased, more like put on the shelf.

Wat. "Put on the shelf"? Does not compute.

>Pre-flashpoint Superman and Lois have a comic now that spun off of Convergence.

Ummmm... does this comic have its own universe now? Is it Earth-41 or -26 or some other number? I should think DC would run out of alternate universes real quick.

I mean, damn, why limit themselves like this? I used to really, really enjoy the Elseworlds stories.
>>
>>77720551
>I mean, damn, why limit themselves like this? I used to really, really enjoy the Elseworlds stories.
What's funny is that other than Grant Morrison's stuff, all the the best dc stories have been self contained. (Watchmen, Secret Identity, Batman Year 100, V for Vendetta, DKR, Twilight of the Superheroes, etc)
>>
>>77720741
>counting Twilight of the Superheroes
>>
>>77720551
>Okay, that's cool. That I understand. But there's still only a mere 52 universes? Is that accurate?
no, Multiversity implied there's more than one Multiverse and Convergence basically said "fuck it, everything ever is on the table"
>>
File: DC Continuity.png (287 KB, 450x313) Image search: [Google]
DC Continuity.png
287 KB, 450x313
>>77716455
>>
File: TELOS005_COVER_CMYK.jpg (547 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
TELOS005_COVER_CMYK.jpg
547 KB, 790x1200
>>77720551
>Ummmm... does this comic have its own universe now? Is it Earth-41 or -26 or some other number? I should think DC would run out of alternate universes real quick.
The Superman: Lois and Clark book has pre-Flashpoint Supes and Lois living with their son in the post-Flashpoint universe

The other characters that are loose from Convergence are Zero Hour era Parallax Hal, and COIE era Barry & Supergirl

and some guy named Telos who is secretly Arak, son of thunder I guess
>>
>>77720879
No wally?
>>
File: Multiverse_0001.jpg (362 KB, 995x768) Image search: [Google]
Multiverse_0001.jpg
362 KB, 995x768
>>77720843
>Multiversity implied there's more than one Multiverse

More than one Multiverse? Ummmm... errrrr... eh? Wouldn't that just be a bigger multiverse, then? Like, more than 52 universes?

>Convergence basically said "fuck it, everything ever is on the table"

So then when >>77718483 said:
>Not erased, more like put on the shelf

That's not accurate?

So then, I'm getting the impression that every story DC has ever published is "true" again, but they exist in a variety of different universes (or multiverses), and there's no way of knowing for sure which events did or didn't take place in the backstory of any given current book.

Gosh. That's... different. Might be a good thing, might not.
>>
>>77716672
>theres 52 earths all together, but infinite variations of each.

Well that would be a lot more than 52 Earths, then.
>>
>>77720551
>In this case, are you talking about, like, for example: in Marvel, Iron Man's origin first happened in Korea, but then "slid" to Viet Nam, then to a fictional Southeast Asian country, then to the middle east. But all the stories still happened. Like that sorta thing?
Pretty much, yes. All stories happened; it's the stories that people choose to remember that matter.

>Are you saying that each universe has, like, subcategories of timeline? Like, Earth-1A, Earth-1B, etc?
That's one way to look at it, though for the most part, all timelines are as valid as the other.

>This phrase is a bit too vague for me to understand. Halp.
You can't have every possibility, but you can have a great number of possibilities.

>You lost me.
You can either ignore the 1939 "Action Comics" in favor of the 2011 "Action Comics", you can ignore the 2011 "Action Comics" in favor of the 1939 "Action Comics", you can follow both, or you can ignore both. Whatever you feel is "correct" to you is what is correct.

>But there's still only a mere 52 universes? Is that accurate?
Yes, though there are implications of other multiverses in the omniverse. But nobody has explored that yet.

>>77721250
>Wouldn't that just be a bigger multiverse, then? Like, more than 52 universes?
Nope. Each Multiverse co-exists in an omniverse, much like how each universe exists within a multiverse.
>>
>>77718433
Lol racist fuck
>>
>>77722325

OK, I see. Thank you for the explanations. You've been most helpful. :D
>>
>>77723223
No problem.
And thanks for questioning me. I'm bad at explaining things from the beginning, so being given an opportunity to expand helps me figure out what I'm talking about.
>>
>>77720797
>not counting Twilight of The Superheroes
>>
>>77721105
I don't think so, unless something happened in his Convergence mini that would indicate so

The four who went back to fuck with COIE were Parallax Hal, Barry, Kara & Supes
>>
>>77716701
>>spoonfeeding
Is that a new shitty meme that I missed?
>>
>>77723789
>new
please be tr-fuck it

DUDE HOW NU R U LMAO

DUDE DRUGS DONT ACTUALLY PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THEY JUST MAKE THE MUNDANE SEEM DEEP LMAO

DUDE EGO DEATH IS A MEME LMAO

DUDE DRUG INDUCED EGO DEATH IS NOT REAL BECAUSE NOTHING CAN SEPERATE US FROM THE SUM OF OUR EXPERIENCES WITHOUT PERMANTENTLY DAMAGING THE BRAIN LMAO
>>
>>77723896
Sounds fun.
>>
Doesn't DC cosmology include other multiverse which are parallel to New52?
For example, multiverse before COIE which is not included within NEW 52 but other multiverse in larger omniverse is within DC cosmology?
>>
>>77724616
yeah basically
>>
>>77718894
Hi, im not faggot OP, but i've been reading JL 3K1, Action Comics, Superman, dropped Batman after Endgame, really enjoying Robin: Son Of Batman and Lemire's Green Arrow run, among other books, including the main JL.
Have a good night.
>>
>>77717615

That was my point. It's potentially good. It's potentially bad. We see writers like Ennis doing great things with the possibilities in All Star Section 8. We could get Hawkman levels of clusterfuck from other writers.
>>
So, How big is DC entire creation in totality?only infinite number of multiverse? megaverse? or some Omniverse shit?
>>
New 52 keked it all up.
>>
>>77718894
Why do we only get the "YOU'RE RUINING THIS BOARD" fag in the few threads where people are discussing comics?

At least people asking about comics and recs and explanations are discussing comics. Which is more than can be said about SJW-scare threads, movie threads, /tv/ talkback threads, Man of Murder threads, MCU threads, Baneposting threads (these ones are still awesome and are the one sort of shitposting I tolerate tho), "if The Flash is so fast why doesn't he just but the Joker in a bottle" threads, etc.
>>
Which forum between/co and Comicvine has more ratio of people who don't actually read comics ?
I think people on Comicvine don't actually read comics.
What do you think?
>>
>>77723789
It's just some dumbass that's been derailing comic threads by telling people not to give recs to people asking for them because, and here's the kicker, it creates casuals.
>>
>>77728691
Why do you go to Comicvine?
>>
> DC
> continuity
>>
>>77723789
Actual answer. Is what /a/ calls giving recs and helping newfags get into anime
>>
>>77720014
Deadpool is a meme, not a comic you shitter.
>>
>>77729288
Comicvine forum is popular comic forum, isn't it?
Are they famous for their retardness?
I wonder they have read comics.
>>
What do you think about people who insist that DC cosmology consists of only 52 universe and so far inferior to some anime multiverse?
>>
>>77730295
>anime
>multiverse
There's very few jap shit that works with the concept of multiple realities or alternate timelines as creatively, ridiculous or overused as American and Euro comics.
>>
>>77716455
Almost all books are still in new52 universe

They work on whatever timeline the writers want them to. My gut tells me that Justice League steers most of the universe canon and will end up trumping other books if there is ever a conflict between them.

Sales are down but I'm unsure if it's due to continuity alone. Convergence sucked and led into a poorly received new line up, a lot of core books have writers that weren't as well received as their predecessors were. Some of DC's best writers are on series that don't appeal to a wide demographic, like omega men.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.