[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't Lisa just hang out with Sherri, Terri, and Janey?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 12
Why can't Lisa just hang out with Sherri, Terri, and Janey?
>>
They want to keep reusing the Lisa's Rival plot over and over and over. :^)
>>
OP is a guy who doesn't understand how writing for a show works. One of the big factors is that you have to find some interesting character attribute that you can "hook". Janey and S&T really weren't compelling or interesting characters that had anything the writers could work with.

Do you know that Milhouse's first appearance wasn't on the show proper, but a Butterfinger commercial. The writers decided he was just interesting enough to retain as a character.
>>
>>77709482
I also think the writers, being mostly male, don't know how to relate to a little girl's problems whereas Bart stories can just be based off their own childhood.
>>
>>77709546
>>77709482
>OP is a DeviantArt guy who wants to fap to underage female characters

Fixed.
>>
S&T are ugly and annoying as fuck. Why would I want to see more of them?
>>
>>77709420
/thread
>>
>>77709546
This. Lisa stories tend to be generally awful because they're written by 40 year old men with no perspective on what being an 8 year old girl is like.
>>
>>77709911
Not like /co/ does either beyond discussing what orifices of said 8 year old girl they want to fill with their fluids.
>>
>>77710090
What's to discuss? The only correct answer is "all of them".
>>
>>77709911
Females in general aren't interesting or compelling to write about.
>>
>>77708684
Sherri and Terri are completely inconsistent with whether they're her friends or her bullies, and Janey has no personality traits at all.

The depressing thing about Lisa is she doesn't seem to have any true friends.
>>
>>77708684
I like to imagine that Sherri, Terri, and Janey don't hang out with Lisa cause she's simply insufferable to be around.
>>
I tried writing a fanfic where she's friends with Janey and S&T. I couldn't figure out anything interesting that didn't involve them lezzing out with each other.
>>
>>77710462
You could always give Janey personality traits.

You just do it.

Like that.

voosh.
>>
>>77710731
You forgetting who Lisa is? The second another person shows that she has an interest or a hobby, Lisa will go full meltdown because she liked it before they did and it's not fair that everyone is paying attention to someone else.
>>
File: Lisa's_Rival_87.jpg (110 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
Lisa's_Rival_87.jpg
110 KB, 576x432
>>77710731
She doesn't have any distinctive personality traits or back story that you could work with. I thought Allison had potential for development and came up with some interesting ideas for her, but Janey I just draw a blank on.
>>
>>77708684
Because females don't actually have friends, they have targets that they just haven't taken aim at yet.
>>
>>77710807
>Because females don't actually have friends
When you're a little kid, you do. Not after puberty.
>>
>>77708684
Because that would require some actual thought and we know the Simpsons writers would prefer to do an episode where Homer is being an irresponsible jackass or having Bart meet up with the celebrity of the week.

Doing an actual episode focused around the kids? They don't have the talent, nor the people to do so. Lemon of Troy is one of the best episodes ever made.
>>
>>77710884
But they didn't give Lisa friends even in the classic seasons while Bart always had plots involving him, Milhouse, Nelson, etc.
>>
>>77710776
There's an episode right there, Janey's been hiding a hobby from Lisa because she's afraid of Lisa going full meltdown. Lisa has to deal with learning to share a thing.
>>
>>77710903
The point is they had the characters, they could have managed to make a half-decent episode with them. What I'm saying is the current writers couldn't do those episodes, even with the boys.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 513x287) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 513x287
>>77709546
>>77709911
What gives a man a perspective of what being a little girl is like?
>>
>>77711147
Actually caring about representing little girls in a realistic way, and spending time with them. Most of those little girls are based on real people.
>>
>>77711147
You got a point here. I think adult men are perfectly able to write stories about girls if they actually put effort on it, but the writers of these new episodes are just bad at their job and prefer to stick to cliches and sterotypes.
>>
>>77708684
Would you hang out with Lisa? HELL NO. So why would anyone else want to?
>>
>>77711147
Being a parent. Actually, Al Jean loves Lisa episodes because he has a daughter.
>>
>>77712432
But Miyazaki have two sons. I was pointing out that being a man is not a reason for people sucking at making little girls stories. I guess that rant he made about anime also applies in the west. People lost touch of what people are like in general.
>>
>>77708684
Because Lisa can't have friends, she has to be the "Me vs. the World" with all the ideals that are thrust on her. Just look at Pay Pal, the status quo is retained by her leaving a potential genuine friend over her not being vegetarian.

Also this >>77710776, she was willing to leave her family after she got called out on sabotaging her baby sister. If she's the kind to feel intellectually threatened by a 2-year-old, it's obvious she doesn't want to be with people unless she's dead sure they're not better than her at anything
>>
File: Anno-san.png (273 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
Anno-san.png
273 KB, 624x480
When Hideaki Anno made NGE, he was a virgin that could only get close to women by stalking his VAs but he received a lot of fan mail by women saying how much they could relate to his female characters
>>
>>77712698
>Just look at Pay Pal, the status quo is retained by her leaving a potential genuine friend over her not being vegetarian.
Probably it was just status quo and ending with a gag but going for dead of the author, that episode showed the reason Lisa doesn't have friends is because she's a douche, not because she's precocious and smarter than her peers. Again, I doubt it was intentional because she's the writers's waifu and they're hacks anyway so they don't think much about their work
>>
>>77712991
Gee and /co/ always told me that the writers are keks who white-knight Lisa and use her as their self-insert when in fact the message has always been that she can't make friends because she's an aspie.
>>
>>77709546
Is there a way for a male to write about lolis without being creepy or fetishistic?
>>
>>77712872
If anything he is an expert about making emotional cripples. This teaches us that even if you are surrounded by losers you can still learn a lot if you pay attention to them.
>>
>>77711032

>>77709482
>>
>>77713410
>>77711147
>>
>>77713410
Sure. Maybe you can't do it, but others probably can.
>>
It's because they are jelly with Lisa's big butt.
>>
File: Bart's_Girlfriend_83.jpg (88 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
Bart's_Girlfriend_83.jpg
88 KB, 576x432
If she'd been a recurring character, you could have some hilariously funny interactions between her and Lisa.
>>
>>77713814
All that Jessica reminds me of is Cordless's shitty autism fanart.
>>
>>77713814
I always imagine she grows up to be a trashy slut that has like 5 husbands and ends up drinking herself to death.
>>
>>77713995
Does she take Bart's virginity when they're teenagers or...?
>>
>>77714057
LOLI dunno who takes Bart's V-card. One of those things I think should be left to guessing.
>>
>>77709482
>Do you know that Milhouse's first appearance wasn't on the show proper, but a Butterfinger commercial.
Wasn't he in Bart the Genius?
>>
>>77713907
Cordless?
>>
>>77714691
http://simpspin.deviantart.com/

Imagine a 40 year old Chris-Chan wannabe who's been active in the Simpsons fandom since the 90s and who's draw 40 (!) seasons worth of shitty fanscripts.
>>
>>77712698
>potential genuine friend over her not being vegetarian.
I'd leave a potential friend over him being a murderer. At least she's sticking with her principals.
>>
>>77714830
Oh shit the Maggie and Eric guy? hah!
>>
>>77714920
He also despises Nu Simpsons and posts regular rants about how terrible it is on No Homers, but he won't stop watching it.
>>
>>77714874
Proving that they forgot the lesson she learned in the same episode she became vegetarian.
>>
File: 5 Star Post.gif (341 KB, 375x266) Image search: [Google]
5 Star Post.gif
341 KB, 375x266
>>77710151
>>
>>77713814
>DVD commentary for Bart's Girlfriend

Matt Groening: "It's hard to draw attractive characters in my style, so I was quite pleased with how Jessica came out."

Julie Kavner: "I love her eyes."
>>
>>77715065
Was it a good lesson though? I mean, you might think vegetarianism is a dumb thing, but this was never shown to Lisa. So lesson was something like "You should be nice to terrible people or they won't like you".
>>
File: Jessica2.png (18 KB, 1211x713) Image search: [Google]
Jessica2.png
18 KB, 1211x713
>>77713814
Little pic I made of her. Not sure how to finish it or what I want to do with it exactly.
>>
>>77715618
That actually looks pretty good for the usual low standard of fanart.
>>
>>77715717
Well that's cool.
>>
>>77714874
>murderer
not the same thing (but I'll assume you're the "meat is murder" type regardless).

>>77715422
Lesson was simply "live and let live", you can have your values, but learn to respect those of others (something Lisa deliberately fails to do)
>>
>>77708684
The show has demonstrated repeatedly that Lisa has a virtual inability to relate to other kids.
>>
http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?98012-Lisa-has-friends-in-Classics-no-friends-in-Modern-Writers-Please-get-back-to-the-basic
>>
>>77716342
>actually linking No Homers threads
costanza.jpg
>>
>>77716810
Honestly their Simpsons discussion is a head above ours.
>>
>>77716261
I'm not a vegetarian, but Lisa is. She does genuinely believes meat is murder. Her belief never been changed.

People do not live and let live. You don't befriend Pol Pot because eh, he might've killed some people, but you gotta respect his choices.
>>
Because "Lisa has no friends' episodes are easy to write. If they remembered Lisa used to have friends, they'd have to try harder.
>>
>>77717370
Winner winner chicken dinner.
>>
>>77717370
Geez, I've come up with some decent fanscripts like that and I don't even get paid.
>>
the show doesn't have an emotional center, nor do the writers have taste
>>
>>77717735
>the show doesn't have an emotional center, nor do the writers have taste
Not since Clinton was president anyway.
>>
>>77717824
kind of goes without saying, huh
>>
>>77717196
Go watch the episode. It specifically pointed out how things she thinks are OK might not be for other people but this is not a reason for them to be a dick to you. She acknowledges that the same way she might see eating meat as bad people also see eating honey as bad while she consumes honey without problems. But what to expect from the show that created the term flanderization.
>>
>>77708684
in quite a few episodes, she did, but in at least half of those, they abandon her for being a brain
>>
Janey is a useless character with no personality - she's only used as filler when they need to give Lisa another girl to talk to.
>>
>>77713410
Well for one thing, you can start by not referring to them as "lolis."
>>
>>77717998
Dude, it's just shorthand for "female child".
>>
>>77717998
buh buh buh BOARD CULTURE
>>
>>77715032
>>77714830
I never knew this guy's back story. I just remember him whining it up in every single Simpsons' thread when I used to consider ToonZone as worthy of my time
>>
>>77718274
His real name is Jake Lennington; the earliest online posts I can find from him are on alt.tv.simpsons in 1994. He started doing his autistic Maggie & Eric shit sometime in the late 90s.
>>
>>77718013
shorthand that is implicitly creepy, as it comes from a story about having sex with a underage girl.
>>
File: Jessica2.png (44 KB, 1211x713) Image search: [Google]
Jessica2.png
44 KB, 1211x713
>>77715618
Done.
>>
>>77718379
SJW plz go.
>>
http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?56536-Janey-and-the-twins

"The Simpsons is coming closer to a close and yet they haven't even tried to use this characters in an interesting way."

>mfw this post was made in 2006
>>
What characters do you think are underdeveloped? I'd go with:

Marge's mom
Ling
Sideshow Mel
Cletus & family
Lou & Eddie
Barney
Dr. Hibbert
Database
Maggie

Characters who need to be left untouched:

Lenny
Chalmers
Disco Stu/Yes Guy/other gag characters
>>
I hate it when Maggie does stuff that babies shouldn't be able to do (Midnight Towboy is the worst example of that, but I don't even like the subplot of A Streetcar Named Marge). But they can certainly use her...they've almost completely ignored the fact that Marge and Homer are raising a baby and I would assume that that can be quite eventful. It seems like there would be many possible stories that could come from that.
>>
>>77719076
The writers did say that Maggie can't really carry an episode by herself.
>>
File: Bart's_Classmate_-_05.png (91 KB, 200x303) Image search: [Google]
Bart's_Classmate_-_05.png
91 KB, 200x303
>>77718997
>>
>>77711147

I remember an interview with him where he mentioned how hard was to cast the voice of Chihiro because he wanted someone who sounded like an actual little girl, not an "anime" little girl.
>>
>>77718997
>Marge's mom
They phased her out because she's boring and Julie Kavner hated doing that voice.
>Ling
No. We don't want to b8 that MS Paint nigger.
>Sideshow Mel
No. He's annoying and one of the worst characters.
>Cletus & family
They already did that shit with that Zooey Deschanel bullshit.
>Lou & Eddie
Naw.
>Barney
Maybe.
>Dr. Hibbert
Maybe.
>Database
Didn't Nancy Cartwright once say she'd like to see him do something cool?
>Maggie
Sure.
>>
>>77719135
>I remember an interview with him where he mentioned how hard was to cast the voice of Chihiro because he wanted someone who sounded like an actual little girl, not an "anime" little girl

You really need actual child voice actors for that. Kristen Schaal isn't bad, but she still sounds more like a teenager than a little girl.
>>
>>77718997
I feel like sometimes when they try to do this, it fails. A lot of people didn't like the episode about Willie and the one about Gil, examples of where they tried to take a minor character and flesh them out. Although it sounds interesting for some of these characters to be developed more, part of me questions how that well that would actually go down.

They have done episodes where Maggie is a major part of the plot but they often do involve her acting like a highly intelligent baby, which some people don't seem to like.
>>
>>77719217
You're right about a lot of that. Kill Gil was pretty awful, but I like to think that it's because Gil was a weak character to begin with. My Fair Laddy had good songs and a decent parody, but it doesn't match the rest of the musical episodes. As for Maggie, having her as a more intelligent baby doesn't bother me that much, which is one of the reasons I liked the subplots from A Streetcar Named Marge and Midnight Towboy. If it's for the sake of a spot-on parody (The Great Escape) or comic relief, I'm not opposed to them giving it a try.
>>
I like My Fair Laddy. Its aim was to expand on Willie and his character, and I think it did that pretty good. It turned him from a one-dimensional janitor who hurls Scottish insults into a full-fledged character. I consider it one of the few standouts of season 17.
>>
>>77718997
I agree Jacqueline and Ling Bouvier are very underdeveloped. I've actually been mulling over a plot i'd like them to do, but I think most people here would hate it because people really don't like when things are added to the continuity.

Cletus they ruined it, of course, but for a little bit there, in "Moonshine River", he was a person.

They really need to develop Kumiko's character! I think she's just adorable, but she's so one-dimensional.
>>
>>77719332
What? Kumiko was a mistake if ever there was one. Just a blatant writer self-insert fantasy. CBG is supposed to be a fat autistic 4everalone neckbeard.
>>
I'd go with Maggie because she's got the most space between her head and the ceiling.
>>
I hate My Fair Laddy not because Willie wasn't strong enough a character to carry an episode, but because I hate musicals set in early 20th century England. It's kind of superficial, but I hate Supercalifragilisticexpiala-D'oh-cious for basically the same reason (there are other reasons too, though). As for Kill Gil, Gil is a character who wasn't strong enough to carry an episode or shouldn't even have been seen at all after Realty Bites.

I think Dr. Hibbert and Janey probably have the most potential. Dr. Hibbert because he seems like kind of an important character, but hasn't been developed very much. And Janey because she could potentially fill a role that isn't filled (i.e. Lisa's best friend).
>>
It always bugs me how Lisa and Janey's friendship isn't very solid. Janey's only around when they need a second person for Lisa to interact with. Come on writers, Lisa and Janey for BFFs!

The writers have missed the opportunity for years to draw a connection between Janey's implied crush on Milhouse and her shaky friendship with Lisa. It's too late now.
>>
>>77719525
I agree but honestly I would have preferred it if they kept Allison from 'Lisa's Rival' as Lisa's best friend. Unfortunately they got Winona Ryder to do the voice, meaning she couldn't become a regular. I just wish the writers asked Ryder to come back for another episode where Lisa and Allison's friendship is really developed further, kind of like Marge and Ruth's relationship in 'Marge on the Lam'. Both those characters should have become regulars but due to the fact that they were voiced by guest stars, that wasn't going to happen.
>>
Janey is described as a "fair-weather friend" meaning she pretends to like Lisa but then actually doesn't.
>>
Truthfully, I think Janey genuinely likes Lisa but has a neurosis about ever being a social outcast so she's more than happy to turn against Lisa when circumstances dictate to validate herself with the cool kids.

Case in point.
>>
>>77719648
t. Janey likes Lisa but will sell her out to ensure she's never outcast with her. This is why her behavior seems so inconsistent. She values her social status more than anything else. And incidentally, there's easily a way to spin an episode storyline out of this tendency of hers.
>>
the writers don't even bother with pure consistency with the major characters, in what world is it logical that they've thought that much about a character they've never given substantial focus
>>
>>77719648
Didn't she make fun of Lisa's butt in Sleeping with the Enemy?
>>
>>77719767
And got away with it scot-free.

Really Janey's main traits are "Chronic backstabbing disorder" and "Way overdue for some comeuppance". Oh and I think there's some sources that claimed she nearly got sent to a special home because of an imaginary friend but that's probably not canon.
>>
Unless it's in one of the last few seasons which I'm spotty on, it occurred to me that, aside from the fact that Clancy planted drugs on her to be able to talk to her, and that Marge "just doesn't care for that woman", I can't think of a single concrete trait or fact about Sarah Wiggum. It feels like we've barely even seen her during the show's run. Even though Ralph is in practically every episode when the writers need extra kids, it seems like when they need 'mom' characters for something they use Luann or Manjula or even Agnes but rarely Sarah.
>>
>>77719525
It's kind of like how Bart has that one black kid who's occasionally his friend.
Wait, shit, is he Janey's brother?
>>
>>77719858
^Bernice Hibbert falls into a similar category. The only thing we really know is that she tends to drink a little too much.
>>
>>77719858
The only episode I can even think of off the top of my head that featured Sarah Wiggum in any kind of significant supporting role was Season 10's I'm with Cupid.
>>
According to one of the DVD commentaries, most fans simply didn't take to Sherri and Terri as they did with more versatile personalities like best friend Milhouse and class genius Martin. Really, Sherri and Terri play pretty much the same role as Nelson, except that they're girls. Nelson quickly gained major status after Bart the General, so I suppose it's only natural that the staff chose to focus more on him instead. The closest the series ever got to featuring the twins substantially was Homer's Odyssey, in which they're given a major role during the first act. The interesting thing is that Sherri and Terri seem extremely popular in fan art, probably thanks to their memorable purple hair and dresses.
>>
>>77720159
Their pretty much just their for jokes and to add some difficulty to Bart's every-day kid life.
>>
>>77719570
But yes, Allison was an awesome character: a girl possesses intellectual capacity equals Lisa's, not to mention a sense of humility and levelheadedness that kept her character from straying into the stereotype of the cocky, egostistical rival. She deserves to be focused on again.
>>
Remember when Ralph Wiggum was a regular kid? And then when he would switch back and forth between being regular with a regular voice, regular with the Ralph voice, and apparently mentally impaired with a Ralph voice?

I never listened to the commentary. Was that ever explained?
>>
>>77708684
It never really made sense for Lisa to hang with he twins considering they shouldn't even be that close because of the difference in their grade levels.

Sorta the same problem with Ralph.
>>
>>77720311
I agree. She had a lot of potential for development.
>>
>>77720371
I know it is kind of a thing in grade school that you don't hang out with younger kids unless they're relatives because too baby.
>>
>>77720376
Say, when they're teenagers Allison grows out of her childhood shyness and becomes kind of a popular girl while Lisa remains an aspie. Lisa thinks she's too goofy and not grounded in reality enough.

Also she babysits Maggie and molests her when nobody's looking.
>>
I mean, sure Jessica Lovejoy is a fan favorite but again being voiced by Meryl Streep kind of precluded her from being a recurring character.
>>
>>77720633
I think it's better off this way, she was a great character, definitely best one of Bart's love interests, but wouldn't really have worked as a recurring character. And yeah, voiced by Meryl Streep, they would probably have had to replace her voice.
>>
>>77720643
>>77720633
And even if they could get Streep back, I wouldn't want them to bring back Jessica for another prominent role, lest she be Mary Spucklered.

That's right; I made a new verb.
>>
>>77711147
Bless you Mr. Miyazaki.
>>
>>77720664
>>77720664
She fulfilled her function in one episode, exposing a weakness in Bart and approached the subject of a love interest/first girlfriend for his character. This was a 'art episode and the exploration of his character and the way his place in Springfield, so we weren't really as viewers getting ripped off by getting introduced to a new character then having her leave for an extended period of time.This episode had one of those themes about not judging a book by its cover, so Jessica represented a moral to Bart and the audience and thus one that is enduring and memorable, despite only needing the one episode to convey this. The contrast between Jessica's status as the reverend's daughter and her rebellious ways is perhaps Jessica's only memorable trait as a character (and that she was voiced by Meryl Streep ). The closing of this episode as Bart scrubs the church stairs shows that Bart and Jessica would not work as a long-term couple, but we learn of Bart's vulnerability to girls he is attracted to (and his weakness in the temptation of being bad).

Also, am I the only one or does Jessica Lovejoy remind you of a lot of the characteristics of Sherri and Terri, who are already supporting characters in their own right?
>>
There's more story potential here, but the writers decided she served her purpose, so they have no more use for her.
>>
I find it weird that Reverend and Helen Lovejoy are never even shown with Jessica in background shots.
>>
From a practical standpoint, as others have stated, Jessica was voiced by Meryl Streep, preventing her from becoming recurring. The same happened with Allison Taylor (voiced by Winona Ryder, who was reduced to a non-speaking background character), Princess Penelope (Krusty's wife, voiced by Anne Hathaway), Mr. Bergstrom (voiced by Dustin Hoffman), and Herb Powell (voiced by Danny DeVito), among others. Sidenote: I think that in some cases, like with Mr. Bergstrom, retiring a guest star-voiced character is fitting, but other times, like Princess Penelope, the fact that they can't speak again really hinders their potential as a character. I'd group Jessica in with Mr. Bergstrom and other characters who have served their purpose; she was arguably the best (i.e. most well-written) love interest Bart's ever had, but ultimately, keeping her around as a background recurring character would have amounted only to the occasional line, since she has already served her purpose in Bart's Girlfriend.
>>
>>77720823
Except Mr. Bergstrom did appear in The Kid is All Right for a half-assed callback. While people may complain about Seymour's appearance in Simpsorama, it is not nearly as bad of fan-service as this callback. It's just completely out of place and Lisa just doesn't seem to care about him anymore. I can't tell if Mr. Bergstrom appearing is supposed to be funny or not, but if it is then that just makes it even more insulting.
>>
>>77709911
No, it's because they always use her as a mouth piece.
>>
What, and ruin the plot?
>>
>>77720844
It's Zombie Simpsons. The fuck did you expect?
>>
It's the guest voice that largely prevents these memorable one-time characters from being used again. Certainly it's not because they no more stories to tell with them because they keep bringing the likes of Shauna back for little to no reason. Frankly, I respect the current staff for not wholesale recasting old characters just for the sake of catering to nostalgia by bringing them back. As we've seen from episodes like Moonshine River, Herb's voicemail recording in The Changing of the Guardian or the many reappearances of Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Gloria and Pamela Reed's Ruth Powers, these characters aren't being used well when they return for cameos and, in the case of Lurleen Lumpkin, it's not like fully-fleshed out episodes are fondly remembered either.

Is there more that could be done with Jessica Lovejoy? Certainly. We've seen some great suggestions mentioned already in this thread. Meryl Streep's expensive - but considering how much the regular cast gets paid per episode these days - probably not prohibitively expensive. They could bring Herb back and have him date Selma which would weird out both Marge and Patty. They could bring Samantha back and have her return from Saint Sebastian's School for Wicked Girls - only to discover Milhouse now crushing on Lisa. So she pursues Bart to make him jealous.

There are plenty of stories that could be told with these one-time characters. But would they be told well? Probably not. And anyway, this is a staff that's so completely out of touch that they genuinely believe that referencing Seymour the Dog and Mr. Bergstrom in the most half-assed way possible in an HD-era callback will make us smile. Hell, they pat themselves on the back for this shit. And it's not even funny.
>>
>>77720844
He didn't actually speak in that episode anyway. I think the idea behind the joke was that "someone Lisa loved" was downstairs, implying it would be a regular character, but suddenly Mr. Bergstrom comes out of nowhere. Herb Powell's voiced appearance in Changing of the Guardian was no better.
>>
>>77720823
>I'd group Jessica in with Mr. Bergstrom and other characters who have served their purpose; she was arguably the best (i.e. most well-written) love interest Bart's ever had, but ultimately, keeping her around as a background recurring character would have amounted only to the occasional line, since she has already served her purpose in Bart's Girlfriend.

But that's kind of my point - because she's a close relation of a regular character, they've been obliged to include her as an non-speaking extra on occasions when it would look really weird if they didn't (like Moe Letter Blues) just not that often, and it is weird how little she is seen compared to her parents. Still I guess the boarding school explanation would cover her general absence, I forgot about that.
>>
>>77724001
I never understood that. Since when did people in the 90s still end kids to boarding school? Fuck, has anyone done that since the 50s?
>>
File: cad.jpg (7 KB, 263x191) Image search: [Google]
cad.jpg
7 KB, 263x191
>that episode when Lisa almost gets raped by a kid she fantasized was Ernest Hemingway.
lisa is a piece of shit that deserves all the bad things that come to her
>>
Meh. I don't know why Simpsons fans have such a hardon for Jessica. She did the job. she did what was needed in the role, but she's far down on my list of characters I wish came back.
>>
>>77724111
I agree...same with Hank Scorpio, Mindy, and Lurleen. They all are thin, gimmicky characters who's entire purpose is to excite some emotion, action, or situation involving a Simpson. For example: Jessica's entire purpose was to show Bart dominated by a girl. She's basically a clever plot device to reach that situation with Bart. Jacques is similar, but better.

Anyway, they did bring back Lurleen and the result was a horrible, horrible episode so...meh.
>>
File: chicken.png (197 KB, 1147x928) Image search: [Google]
chicken.png
197 KB, 1147x928
>people looking for serious plot development in the simpsons
>>
>>77724199
I looked at some old threads on No Homers where they talk about what characters do you want to see return. We're talking from like 10+ years ago and one of the mentions was of Lurleen. Careful what you wish for, 'cause you might just get it.
>>
>>77724259
>>77724199
That episode was bad, very bad.

>Dixie Chicks guest-starring years after they'd stopped being relevant
>Beverly D'Angelo sounded like a dying 80 year old woman
>shit-tastic writing up your ass
>>
>>77720823
Funny, I never knew that Winona "Five Finger Discount" Ryder voiced her.
>>
>>77723902
Then again, how many times was Homer's mother voiced by Glenn Close used or Ruth Powers also a guest star appearing 3x.
>>
>>77724429
The later appearances of Mona were horrible anyway; they should have been proof enough that most one-off characters should stay that way.
>>
>>77724111
She was a good one-timer. I don't know what else they could do with her so she should stay as a one-timer. She appeared in I D'oh-Bot battling Bart's robot with Reverend Lovejoy.
>>
>>77724558
>I don't know what else they could do with her so
I can think of some things. Unfortunately most of them are Paheal-tier.
>>
I liked Jessica. If they have to bring one-timers back, they may as well bring her back, since she was a great character.
>>
>>77724644
I'd rather see Samantha Stanky back before Jessica Lovejoy, actually. That would make a more interesting episode. They both went off to boarding school at the end, though, so possibly an episode with both of them?
>>
>>77724681
Not me. I never liked Samantha and she doesn't seem to be very popular with Simpsons fans compared with Jessica.
>>
Jessica was a good character however her story was already completed. There is not much more they can do with her. It's good the way they wrapped it up and she did not need to come back.
>>
Huh I guess your right, I never thought of it that way and I forgot about I D'OHbot well at least shes appeared in the comics.I'm just a fan of the character.
>>
While some characters who only appeared once work best as one-time shots (Hank Scorpio, Cecil Terwilliger), I think Jessica Lovejoy is a versatile enough character to support another episode, as long as it didn't rehash Bart's Girlfriend and instead expanded on her relationship with Bart. My Mother the Carjacker for instance wasn't strictly necessary, as Mona Simpson's story was complete, but it was still a great episode.
>>
>>77724818
There was a Simpsons idea I posted a while back that had Jessica return:

"The Fling, Part II"
Jessica is given one last chance to make it in Springfield's School system, much to Bart's dismay. After seeing Bart's disappointment in religion, Jessica asks Bart to help her pull the ultimate prank in Springfield--claim they saw Jesus on the hill overlooking the town.
>>
>>77724942
Pretty funny idea although it sounds a little more suited to a show like South Park (but they have a Jesus regular character, so that wouldn't make much sense).
>>
I don't like the thought of Bart having a girlfriend. It just seems creepy, mostly because he's 10.
>>
Laura will always be my favorite Bart gf, Jessica being second. Gina I just didn't like; somehow she lacked enough of a back story. Mary Spuckler and Darcy are decent enough characters; it's just that they were featured in terrible episodes.
>>
>>77725133
I never saw Little Big Girl so can't comment on Darcy, but holy crap no. Mary was one of the shittiest characters who was only there to plug Zooey's shitty Fox show. Seriously, fuck her. Fuck her even more that they used her 3x.
>>
Darcy and Shauna because older chicks put out more. And also I'm not a pedo so they have to have tits and pubes to interest me.
>>
I never liked the idea of giving a 10 year old a girlfriend. A crush? Maybe, but I guess this is a consequence of dragging a show with a static timeline for 25 years.

Though personally, I pick Laura Powers. Even though she's technically just a babysitter who Bart has a crush on, she's still pretty likable and I wish she and Ruth Powers appeared more often.
>>
>>77708684
Lisa has friends or is likable only when the plot requires that of her.
>>
Nikki McKenna is probably the one girl Bart has the most chemistry with in terms of hobbies & interests... AND she wasn't retconned out of Springfield Elementary at the end of Stealing First Base. Shame she's psycho but then what girl isn't when they're 10 years old.
>>
>>77717881
>Go watch the episode. It specifically pointed out how things she thinks are OK might not be for other people but this is not a reason for them to be a dick to you.
And this is the lesson I question validity of.
>>
I always subconsciously disqualify Laura from consideration given the age difference. Which really doesn't make a load of sense seeing how she was roughly the same age as Shauna (whom Bart got to 2nd base with) and younger than Darcy (who was pregnant and tried to elope with him).

I suppose it's the fact that Laura always had this maturity about her and the relationship was completely unrequited that makes it easy to do that. She treated Bart like a kid brother; Shauna and Darcy never did that. Doesn't matter how much chemistry Bart had with Laura if that obstacle is going to be present.
>>
>>77724818
>>77724942
I imagined ideas more like Jessica could be a recurring bully who annoys Bart and Lisa but is sometimes their friend depending on the mood she's in.
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.