[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Secret Wars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: p_16_00.jpg (341 KB, 1000x1537) Image search: [Google]
p_16_00.jpg
341 KB, 1000x1537
Thoughts on Secret Wars?
>>
>>77702529
I just want it to be over
>>
>>77702529
Only good Marvel event in the past decade.
>>
not bad, but taking to long and it feels like a lot is happening behind the scenes and nothing is happening within the main issues
>>
>>77702529
Worth it for the tie ins.
>>
>>77702641
pretty low bar to clear
>>
>>77702568
has some good scenes but hickman's stylistic choice of writing about the after effects of a situation and not the situation itself does not work with event comics and should have switched up his format.
>>
Was damn good and I've enjoyed it throughly.
>>
>>77702529
I'm unimpressed with the series, it's reason for existing, and its' after-effects (though I suppose that ties in to point 2)
>>
what of it has been worth reading?

I have only read mrs deadpool and the howling commandos and secret wars 1-7
>>
>>77702529
Too much happens off screen. I kinda want black swan to survive but she will probably get killed by Doom or Namor.
>>
It started off great. Then it turned shit. With all the time it's taking, I'm surprised it's so shit.
>>
>>77702954
Spider-Island
Civil War
Inferno
Last Days of Punisher
and Last Days of Loki: Agent of Asgard are the top tier Secret Wars stories for me.
>>
I dig the concept but the delays and Hickman's story structure have killed it

I kept waiting for it to achieve the same emotions TTGL's alternate universe episode did but it ain't happening

(e.g. I was waiting for Carol's Last Days interactions with Kamala would play some sort of role in her subplot but it clearly isn't)

The inconsequential nature of some tie-ins (Inhumans, Mrs. Deadpool) also soured me on the whole exercise
>>
File: Ghost Racer - Calvin and Hobbes.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Ghost Racer - Calvin and Hobbes.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>77702954
See >>77703462, Thors, and Ghost Racers
>>
>>77702954
Most of tie-ins are OK. Avoid Where Monsters Dwell and all X-Men related tie-ins, though. They're all shit.
So is Carol Corps.
>>
>>77703462
I'd add Siege
maybe not top tier but definitely good enough

The other Spider books are okay and might be enjoyable if you enjoy Spiders.
>>
>>77702568
This.
Hickman is great at build up, but that's it.
>>
Remember when people were defending his Avengers run by going "n-no, Secret Wars will totally make up for the several years worth of build up" and then we got to the actual event and it turned into a Richards/Doom wank?
>>
>>77705109

Where Monsters Dwell was pretty good. Basic cheeky bugger Ennis. It just has nothing to do with anything Battle World/Secret Wars related.
>>
I love most things involving Doctor Doom so thought it was ok. Also I don't think I've seen an alternate costume better than white Doom
>>
Marvel really shit the bed hard with the release of everything.

And then you have Bendis just not giving a fuck and going full retard.
>>
It's pretty awful.
>>
>>77705579
>m-muh tie-in will reveal ending of Secret Wars!
Fucker keeps having last laugh.
>>
>>77705109
Fuck this guy, read E for Extinction.
>>
File: Radical1.jpg (62 KB, 321x646) Image search: [Google]
Radical1.jpg
62 KB, 321x646
>>77705096
Thats pretty fucking radical.
>>
Issue 4 gets kind of hilarious in hindsight with the Cyke thing. Dude goes in, gets rekt, theeen doc shows up to break it up. Give his whole defiance spiel, they're good people, lived lifetimes with them, etc.

Not Cyclops though, cause fuck that guy.

>>77705109
Also fuck this guy, Carol Corps was good. 1872 kicks ass if you're into westerns.

Now Ghost Racers, that is pure shit.

Civil War kicked ass, then the end managed to piss me off supremely.

>>77705727
Fuck, is that what the deal with the last Ultimate End issue is? Goddamnit, Bendis.
>>
>>77705868
>Carol Corps was good.
No it wasn't. It wasn't BAD, but saying that it was good is insanity. It was bland and boring and pointless, with muted dull colors and stock characters just as dull and muted.

A perfect ending for KSD's Captain Marvel Saga.
>>
>>77705166
the build up wasn't even great, had the same problems this event did
>>
>>77705028
>The inconsequential nature of some tie-ins... soured me on the whole exercise

The fuck kind of shit is that.
Hurr all the tie-ins should be tied to the main plot.
Do you not get that a lot of the writers just wanted to do AUs?
>>
>>77706077
But why do they have to do SHITTY AUs?
>>
>>77702529
>Thoughts on Secret Wars?

The first one in the 80s were partially responsible for getting me into Marvel comics.

The current one is doing a great job of putting me off of Marvel comics.

funny how things go around.
>>
It's not very good. Like most events, I want to reorganize everything and release it as a trilogy of movies with a few 50 minute supplemental shorts.
>>
>>77706077

The problem is that most of the tie-ins barely tell a satisfying, self-contained but still dramatically significant complete story. Most of them feel like the writer is just burning off time rather than exploring interesting AU setting. For every Master of Kung Fu and Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders you had something entirely insignificant and forgettable as Ghost Riders or Inhumans, or then you got a completely bland resolution like like Planet Hulk where you found out Bucky was dead, Steve kills Red Hulk and his Gamma-counterpart and then it just ends. Not to mention absolute pointless shit like Bendis' Ultimate End or Old Man Logan.
>>
>>77702719

This. It's like Hickman is afraid of doing big dumb action. He just has his characters talking, props up stuff to happen, then it happens either briefly or entirely off panel, then it goes back to characters talking.

Events don't seem to be his thing and this is Marvel screwing him over a second time although a lot of the blame can go on Ribic.
>>
>>77702641
Axis was superior
>>
>>77705441
Fuck Pennis
>>
File: 1447605401276.jpg (4 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1447605401276.jpg
4 KB, 126x126
it's just...
it's so fucking confusing like holy shit marvel

why start the new comics before the event's finished

how the heck does the fight in the ultimate end coexist with the secret wars comic?

and if secret wars will merge all the comics into the same universe how will comics like miles morales or spider-gwen work when their orgin storie is based on peter parkers death.
>>
>>77706584
Fucking this! I dontt know where to start, what to read where and what to avoid for the time being.
>>
>>77706584

It's not like CoIE where continuity changed by everything merging into one isolated universe. Parallel Earths still exist, there's just only like, eight of them in total or something. Alt. Earth people are just dumped into the same main Marvel Earth, except in cases like Spider-Gwen where she gets to stay in her own world because her entire thing only works if it's own self-contained world.
>>
>>77706648
marvel have this guide on their site but even that one is fucking weird

read whatever standalone comic you enjoy first
example amazing spider-man or ms marvel until the last comic before the secret wars event
then read ultimate end and then secret wars
i think... idk neither of them are actually done so i'm not sure.
>>
>>77706287
underrated post
>>
Wait, Secret Wars isn't over? But they're rebooting all of the rest of the comics already. Did they just *not* end it and decide to keep going?
>>
A lot of promise that failed to deliver.
>>
>>77702641
Really not saying much anon, there hasn't been a good event book since the New Millennium.
>>
>>77706651

Not quite true. Based on the current comics, everyone still seems to vaguely remember Secret Wars as something that happened 8 months prior that changed a lot of things, but no one remembers exactly why or how it changed, just that it was bad and influenced the current state of the world, which, as it turns out, is pretty damn similar to the way things were before Secret Wars.

Secret Wars and Convergence had basically the same effect - which is to say, "very little in the way that comic book fans care about", but made things much easier for both Marvel and DC. For DC it covered their asses while they moved office, for Marvel it allowed them to reshuffle the multiversal deck, as well as move popular characters and properties into more useful positions without having to lay down the continuity groundwork it would've otherwise required.

Think about the kind of effort it would've taken to do something like bring Miles Morales out of the Ultimate U and into 616 without Secret Wars. They would've had to, say, write Spider-Men 2, write Miles *out* of the Ultimate U, and other stuff. Now they can just say "Secret Wars!" and bam, Miles has been there the whole time somehow, and then there's even additional interest from readers who want to know how he got there.

>>77707732
Secret Wars 8 got delayed and got an extra issue since it was doing well, apparently, which is the meta reason. In-universe people remember secret wars vaguely but don't seem to know exactly what went down. In one of the Cap books Maria Hill refers to "the incursion crisis" of 8 months prior, but doesn't mention the stuff that happened in it, like Cap taking over SHIELD again and he and Tony killing each other while two earths blew up.

Even Blue Marvel in the new Ultimates book is aware that something's happened with that stuff about universal iteration.

Basically people in the know are aware something's changed, but not what or how.
>>
>>77702954
A staggeringly large portion of it was ok/good. You merely have to avoid Bendis for the most part since Bendis couldn't even keep track of continuity within his own issues let alone the general setting that was probably explained to him.
>>77705109
Where Monsters Dwell was good until the final issue at which point it degrades to ok and depends on if you think we're supposed to like the piece of shit female lead.
Learning even a summary about the male MC will make you mad at Ennis for shitting on him so hard and may retroactively make you hate the book.
He's basically a flying Ace version of Captain America except he's German and left to secretly fight against the Nazis because he didn't want his family to be met with reprisals, his parents died when he tried to rescue them near the end of the war, and the female MC is the sister of his ludicrously dickass CO. (Seriously, his CO was so much of an asshole he hired a prostitute to infect him with an STD as a base level for the pranks and methods of shitting on the guy. He is such a gigantic douchenozzle that I'm surprised he wasn't killed by his own soldiers although the possibility that they were all just hoping the war would do it for them comes to mind. )
>>
>>77705109
x men 92 is shit? damn
>>
Was master of kung fu any good
>>
>>77709479
yes ending was a bit rushed but good overall
>>
>>77702529
It feels pretentious as fuck. Most of the panels seem dedicated to characters rambling on and on while most of the things that would be most interesting to see happen off panel and are never explained. Someone should probably tell Hickman that this is a medium of show don't tell, especially when tie-ins aren't going to.
>>
>>77702529
I loved the build up in New Avengers and Avengers, particularly Times Runs Out. The actual Secret Wars has been pretty bad after a somewhat decent start.
>>
>>77708014
Girl went to live with busty lesbian Amazons.
Flying dude went to shit island. Tbh, one of them got away scot free.
>>
Isn't there supposed to be an issue today?
>>
>>77706432

Axis should have been an Uncanny Avengers arc, instead of going overboard with the "Inversion" concept. It came out like 3 times a month so it was over quickly as well.
>>
File: 1447844848850.jpg (206 KB, 908x908) Image search: [Google]
1447844848850.jpg
206 KB, 908x908
>>77711110
Delayed again, Bitch. All those panels ain't gonna copypaste themselves.
>>
Pretty confused by it desu. Why is the main storyline in a medieval setting and there's repeats of big events like the house of M in other tie ins? But again?
>>
>>77711963
>Pretty confused by it
That'll happen when you haven't actually read it.
>>
File: 1448127040564.png (11 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
1448127040564.png
11 KB, 211x246
WHY THE FUCK IS MAESTRO IN SECRET WARS #7 WHEN HE SHOULDNT BE
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.