[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there any real point in those additions in Disney special
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: oyvey.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
oyvey.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
>Beauty and the Beast - Human Again

I don't hate the song in itself and the sequence would be fine on it's own as some sort of deleted scenes.

That being said, I've watched the special edition of Beauty and the Beast, at the most, 3 times because, I feel it kind of fucks up the rhythm & flow of the movie. First off, B&TB was not aching for another 'silly song'. Secondly, the song is kind of fucking redundant.. I can safely say that when I saw B&TB as a kid I never thought "Well, you know, I'm not really sure if the servants wanted to be humans again or not. If only there was some 'Be Our Guest'-esque rehash musical number just so I could be clear on this."

>The Lion King - Morning Report

Kind of the opposite of the last one. I don't care much for the song or the sequence but, it really doesn't seem terribly out of place and it doesn't mess with the movie's pace, in my opinion.
>>
Unnecessary but I don't feel they are out of place or make the movies any worse. (or better for that matter)
>>
>>77686212
I don't know m8, they're just additions. If they felt they were important they'd have included it in the film, maybe some of it was cut for reasons you mentioned and then put in the Special edition
>>
>Was there any real point in those additions in Disney special editions of their movies?
extra incentive for you to buy something you likely already have again
>>
According to Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, the idea of adding in scenes to the special editions started off as kind of a joke back when the Star Wars special edition came out or something like that
>>
File: cave.jpg (15 KB, 839x475) Image search: [Google]
cave.jpg
15 KB, 839x475
Here's a question. Was the Cave of Wonders entrance/head in Aladdin changed to CG later on?

Because I remember watching a DVD of it a few years ago and finding it incredibly jarring, and I assumed it must have been redone/touched up later on. Am I crazy or not?
>>
>>77688037
I'm pretty sure it always looked that way
>>
>>77688037
>Because I remember watching a DVD of it a few years ago and finding it incredibly jarring, and I assumed it must have been redone/touched up later on. Am I crazy or not?

When things are on the cutting edge of technology, we tend to think they look a lot better than they actually do. Back in the 90s, good art mixed with top-of-the-line CG worked fine.

Now when we look back, though, it's good art mixed with dirt CG. The CG wasn't actually good the way the art was, it was just a technological marvel.

It's the same reason Rayman 1 looks like a beautiful work of art while Rayman 2 looks like an eight year old trying to impress /po/.
>>
>Human Again

Hey, at least you could skip it and not miss anything. I never thought of it as a bad song either but you make an interesting point of it being repetitive message about the cursed servants OP. It also showed how the dusty castle ended up looking so nice, though it was not that necessary of a thing to explain.

>Morning Report

"HEY GUYS! YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD REALLY MOVE THE PLOT ALONG?! IF WE COULD FINALLY EXPAND ZAZU'S ROLE IN THE KINGDOM (JUST LIKE THE FANS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN WONDERING YOU KNOW?!?) WITH A TERRIBLE FUCKING SONG WITH A SUDDENLY CHANGED NEW SHIT SINGING VOICE FOR SIMBA! WE'LL PUT IT RIGHT THE FUCK THERE WHERE THAT SMALL, MEANINGFUL BONDING MOMENT WITH MUFASA AND HIS SON HAPPENED SINCE ZAZU NEEDS MORE CARE FROM THE AUDIENCE THAN SOME SOON-TO-BE CORPSE AMiRITE!?!"
>>
>>77686212
Both sequences were added because Disney was re-releasing movies in IMAX and wanted something to lure audiences in as a gimmick, alongside enhancing visuals in certain segments, like bits of Can't Wait to be King being reanimated.

The Morning Report sequence however ended up going straight to DVD and the Blu-Ray of Lion King just removed Morning Report as an option entirely.

At any rate, the DVD releases of both films give you the option of watching with or without the added songs. Just gotta go into Setup.
>>
>>77686212
What about the Robin Williams outtakes?
>>
>>77686212
The Snow White deleted scene is another thing that kind of messes with the movie's pacing since it's right after another instructional musical number. But it did add something worthwhile, establishing that Grumpy was starting to warm up to Snow White earlier on and that his reaction to being kissed wasn't something that came out of nowhere.
>>
>>77690379
the soup scene?
>>
>>77689052
>
damn, I needed a laugh. Thanks autism
>>
>>77686212
Morning Report can go fuck itself
>>
>theatrical cut

Pleb tier.

>director's cut

Patrician tier.

>"let's just re-insert scenes back into the movie even if they're out of place/redundant and were dropped for a reason" cut

Lucas tier.
>>
>>77692486
Morning Report wasn't even a dropped number like the Human Again sequence. They just threw that shit in because it was the one number they added into the stage musical they could plausibly slot into the movie with minimal effort.

Hell, Morning Report is so shit they even dropped it from the musical, though that was partly from how much backlash the animated sequence got.
>>
>>77686212
They're cut songs that didn't make it into the movie likely because of time constraints or unfinished animation that they had to abandon before it's time.
They release the sequence with the finished animation several years after it's been made (maybe even a decade or so).
Basically it's to include a sequence they WANTED to put in the movie, but couldn't for various reasons (sometimes the animation is a smidge jarring though when it returns to the rest of the movie because of differences in style or technology)
>>
File: 1442589168746.jpg (398 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1442589168746.jpg
398 KB, 900x1200
>>77688357
>Making some terrible implications
>>
>>77695382
Human Again was a genuine deleted song saved for the stage production. Morning Report was just made for the stage version.

In fact, the song originally deleted from that part of the movie was a Mufasa one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCPgUSze9dw
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.