[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crossovers where one of the shows was dead when it aired.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 20
File: fotonoticia_20141107104431_800.jpg (63 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
fotonoticia_20141107104431_800.jpg
63 KB, 800x451
Crossovers where one of the shows was dead when it aired.
>>
File: Rugrats_Crossover.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Rugrats_Crossover.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>
>>
>>
File: 120170_slip.jpg (830 KB, 1999x2534) Image search: [Google]
120170_slip.jpg
830 KB, 1999x2534
>>
harvey birdman attorney at law
>>
There was not any incarnation of Popeye airing episodically during the time "Popeye Meets The Man Who Hated Laughter" was aired in the 70's. No, that's a real title, and someone dumped a VHS rip to YouTube. Look it up. Also, it had a fuckton of really old King Features comics (Katzenjammer Kids, and Beetle Bailey, which got a cartoon in the following decade, and is actually still produced!) in it, but I don't think any of them had animated series to begin with.

What's even weirder is that over a dozen of the characters (all male) are all voiced by Bob McFadden, with all the females voiced by Corinne Orr. Jack Mercer only voiced Popeye and Wimpy!
>>
Lilo and Stitch
>>
Teen Titans Go! (The serious episode)
>>
Batman The Brave and the Bold had Space Ghost in it.

Mystery Inc had several cameos from Blue Falcon to Captain Caveman
>>
TMNT of 2003 had a crossover with the 80s TMNT at the time
>>
>>77683319
the disney hercules and aladdin crossover
>>
The secret saturdays crossover with Ben 10, that show had been cancelled for a while before they made their appearance in OV
>>
>>77683319
Both shows were dead when this aired.
>>
>>77684825
I didn't know they went that far. Mercer was obviously not hard to get, though, which supports this. He did fucking marathons, voicing the 60's Popeye series on TV, and the All-New Popeye Hour. In the latter, he even sometimes mistakenly calls Bluto "Brutus", who has been split into Bluto's twin brother in the "official" canon (Popeye still runs, but strictly as a comic. It's actually quite good.) The poor guy must have been run ragged. Image if Bill Costello, who was already fired for "bad behavior" in the Fleischer era, had to put up with this.
>>
File: dirty.png (326 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
dirty.png
326 KB, 512x384
>>77683319
Not exactly dead before this, but Groening did try
>>
>>77683319
That's what actually bothers me about this episode. If this had happened during Futurama's second run I wouldn't have minded as much (The crossover was still fucking terrible mind you, just Futurama characters spouting shitty zombie Simpsons level lines).

Knowing that this episode could well be the final time we hear these characters say anything just fucking blows considering that the actual finale was as good as it was.

Fry and Leela's final lines in "Meanwhile"
>Fry: "So... wanna go around again?"
>Leela: "I do"

Final lines for them in Simpsorama
>Leela: "Okay, let's get goin'."
>Fry: "Wow, it's working! I guess the instructions WERE in English"

Tell me that Fry line couldn't have easily been a Homer line. As for Leela, her final line was just under 5 minutes before the episode ended.
>>
>>77686059
The comics actually had a half-decent crossover where the Simpsons was just fiction in the Futurama universe and the Brainspawn trapped the Planet Express crew inside a Simpsons comic to get rid of Fry. Wasn't amazing, but had an decent plot.
>>
>>77683451
wait what
>>
>>77686153
That's because they are fiction in the Futurama universe.
How else would that Bart doll have ended up on the trash ball?
>>
>>77686194
What was the plot in the TV crossover then?
>>
>>77686222
The tv crossover was garbage and should not be acknowledged.
>>
But OP, they were both dead. One of them was just being propped and made to dance.
>>
>>77683451
Fuck I forgot about this one!
>>
>>77686222
Bender goes back in time to kill Bart because he causes a doomsday scenario in the 3000s (Simpsons DNA mixed with rabbits and toxic waste in a time capsule create little "Life in Hell" rabbit gremlins in the future). He forgets what his mission was when he arrives though and befriends Homer, until the rest of the crew comes to check up on him and then the family goes to the future.
>>
>>77683451
I miss Real Monsters. There I said it.
>>
>>77686320
That... sounds... awful.

Completely awful. What the- how the fuck does Simpsons DNA differ from any human DNA-

Jesus, what the fuck? I was going to rag on some aspects of the comic crossover being contrived, like everyone losing their memories except for Fry because of the Brainspawn influence, but you're saying Bender just FUCKING FORGOT?

Didn't he spend MULTIPLE MILLENNIA in the fucking basement of Planet Express during the time travel movie!?
>>
>>77686428
>>77686222
Bart blew his nose in a sandwich which he placed in a time capsule along with Milhouse's lucky rabbit's foot. The spot it was buried in was contaminated by some waste from the Nuclear Power Plant which cause the bunny foot to mutate into a monster. These bunny monsters then evolved into gobblins that look like Bart in the future where New New York is all fucked up as a result of these things wrecking shit and killing people, so Bender gets sent back in time with the task of killing Homer, who is believed to be the cause as his DNA was discovered in the creatures. Bender forgets his mission and just goofs off with Homer until Lisa takes him to Professor Frink and jogs his memory, but he can't bring himself to hurt Homer regardless. This prompts Farnsworth to journey back in time with Fry and Leela so that they can kill Homer themselves, however, they then find out that the DNA found in the creature was only half Homer's, with the other half belonging to Marge, meaning that they would just have to kill one of the kids to fix everything. It's quickly figured out that Bart is the culprit, but instead of killing him, they decided to dig the time capsule up before it gets found in the future. This doesn't go to plan because the portal Professor, Fry and Leela used to get to Springfield is destroyed by the Bart gobblins, resulting in everyone except Bender and Maggie being sucked into the future, where they hang around a ruined New New York for a while before Lisa comes up with an idea for rounding up all the Bart gobblins into Madison Cube Garden, at which point the Planet Express crew hurls the building into space with all the Bart gobblins in it, resolving the problem. Fry fixes the portal, sends The Simpsons back to their time where Bender has been betting on horse racing with Maggie, and Bender then notes that he will get back to the future the old fashioned way before shutting himself down for a 1000 year power nap in the Simpsons' basement.
>>
>>77686358
It has been reairing on Teen Nick. It doesn't hold up.
>>
>>77686511
I watched it recently though and still thought it was great.
>>
>>77686460
Okay, that's not as horrible as I was expecting but it still sounds pretty bad. They just ignore all the yellow skintones then?
>>
>>77686460
If you wanna be pissed off even more, let it be noted that the following things happen.

>Panucci's Pizza is in Springfield for some reason. Bender, Fry and Leela walk past it with Homer without noticing as Seymour looks up and then goes back to sleep while an instrumental of "I will wait for you" plays.
>Bender is now a part of The Simpsons now, as his body has shown up in the basement since the crossover happened. In his latest appearance Marge was using his chest compartment as a safe for the family's savings.
>Scruffy blows his own head off after the creatures remove his mustache, noting that "A life without a mustache ain't worth living". His headless body is seen sweeping up outside the Planet Express building towards the end.
>Linda (The newsreader alongside Morbo if you don't recall) dies after being eaten alive by one of the bunny monsters, which then turns into a weird egg type thing and then bursts open revealing a Bart gobblin.
>The Futurama world is depicted as a cold hearted and shitty place as if New New York being a shithole is the only thing the Simpsons writer's knew about the show.
>Professor tells Homer that he can go bumble around with Fry, but we never see that.
>The Futurama characters are hideously off-model for a lot of the episode from shot to shot.
>They awkwardly give each character a line for the sake of having them speak at least once, with Zoidberg lampshading it by saying "Hello robot! Looks like everyone gets a turn to say something! This concludes my turn".

Oh, and they don't explain how these two worlds co-exist in one timeline, and they don't mention the fact that the Simpsons have yellow skin but the Futurama cast has regular flesh coloured skin.
>>
>>77686576
Oh nevermind, it went back to being horrible again. I need to find out who wrote this pile of garbage.
>>
>>77686629
Shockingly, J. Stewart Burns was the head writer, and he was also head writer of these Futurama episodes.

>"My Three Suns"
>"Mars University"
>"A Head in the Polls"
>"The Deep South"
>"The Cryonic Woman"
>"Roswell That Ends Well"
>"Where the Buggalo Roam"
>"Neutopia"

However, he also was head writer for the following Simpsons episodes.

>"Moe Baby Blues"
>"The Way We Weren't"
>"There's Something About Marrying"
>"The Monkey Suit"
>"Homerazzi"
>"Marge Gamer"
>"Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind"
>"Waverly Hills 9-0-2-1-D'oh"
>"Holidays of Future Passed"
>"The D'oh-cial Network"
>"What Animated Women Want"
>"Steal This Episode"
>"Days of Future Future"
>"Simpsorama"
>"Every Man's Dream"
>"Puffless"
>"Fland Canyon"
>"Friends and Family"

Those last two haven't aired yet but were listed on his Wiki page. Odds are in spite of his work on Futurama, being in a room full of modern Simpsons writers brought out the worst in whatever the fuck good there may have possibly been in this at the beginning.

I almost forgot, they do a joke about how Bender and Homer look similar. While they're both sleeping on the couch Lisa and Bart observe that it looks like the guy who designed Bender just took a drawing of Homer and stuck an antenna on it. "A little lazy if you ask me" says Lisa knowingly.

Oh, and they have Kang and Kodos meet Lrrr and Ndnd. Madison Cube Garden landed on Omicron Persei 8, with all the Bart gobblins running around there and Lrrr happily eating them. He and Ndnd get into an argument as usual and Lrrr says to Kang & Kodos that perhaps the one of them that is female should go console her. They both go leaving Lrrr stunned that they're supposedly both female and by that logic, a lesbian couple (They were coming over for dinner, kind of like a couples date sort of thing). Oh, and Ndnd notes that Kang & Kodos' surnames are Johnson.
>>
>>77683319

Constantine on Arrow.
>>
File: 400350000.jpg (16 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
400350000.jpg
16 KB, 367x388
>>77686765
Polls and Roswell are okay on the futurama side. Rest are mediocre or bad. I thought Neutopia was one of the worst Futurama episodes ever made and I'm the kind of faggot who enjoys rule 63. No idea about simpsons, I don't watch it.

Writer was shit, so no big surprise I guess. They probably thought putting in a bunch of in-jokes would appease the fans rather than a decent story, so fuck them for that I guess.
>>
>>77686835
Please for the love of god have him be in Legends of Tomorrow
>>
>>77686862
Y'know, say what you like about Family Guy, but at least it felt like they actually had some sort of respect for The Simpsons when they did their crossover. Like, there was an understanding of the characters and how their world worked in contrast to that of FG. You could tell they wanted to make the most of the one-off chance to take the keys to Springfield and do with it as they pleased.

The Simpsons didn't give a flying fuck about getting the chance to do that with Futurama. Christ, they didn't even give it the hour long treatment like Family Guy did for them. The Simpsons writers (Or more specifically, Al Jean) has said that they find doing longer stories hard which is why they don't really do multi-parters outside of the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" thing or stuff longer than 22 minutes outside of the movie.

Like, what the fuck is that? All they had to do was bring in some more Futurama writers to help them flesh it out a bit. I mean, clearly they could have handled a longer more well thought out story. Futurama had 4 DVD movies for Christ's sake.
>>
>>77686991

> they find doing longer stories hard which is why they don't really do multi-parters outside of the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" thing or stuff longer than 22 minutes outside of the movie

fucking mr burns being shot was like 1993-94 and the only instance i can remember of a two parter EVER. i still remember the big thing about it being what people were talking about and then we find out maggie did it by accident.
>>
>>77687038
Yeah, but bare in mind, Al Jean has been with the show from the very start as a writer before he became showrunner with Mike Reiss during season 3. Then he left for a few years to work on The Critic as well as some Disney stuff before coming back to The Simpsons full time in Season 10, then in 2001 he took over from Mike Scully as showrunner, and he's been the sole showrunner ever since.
>>
>>77687193
Harry wanted nothing to do with the crossover and because it was an episode of Family Guy and not The Simpsons, he wasn't obligated to do it as part of his contract.

As for Julie, watch any recent Simpsons episode at all. Like, just pick one at random from the past season, or Hell, even just watch one of the few that have aired already this season. That's not Julie sounding bored. It's Julie being totally unable to do Marge's voice anymore because to nobody's surprise, 27 seasons of doing a voice like that is gonna take it's toll on you.
>>
Manimal showing up in an episode of the live-action Night Man show.
>>
>>77686576
>>Panucci's Pizza is in Springfield for some reason. Bender, Fry and Leela walk past it with Homer without noticing as Seymour looks up and then goes back to sleep while an instrumental of "I will wait for you" plays.
Now imagine this Jurassic Bark and this scene but with Fry's mum in Seymour's place
>>
>>77686319
That is right. It was a Hanna Barbera shitshow, but the animation wasn't nearly as bad as the Al Brodax stuff from the 60's, so that's not fair to say. The shorts are either very boring, or hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Gems include
>Popeye and Olive reminisce about their time at high school in the 50's..
>Everyone is dressed like they're from the 70's/80's
>The "50's music" record is fucking disco
>Popeye, who is presumably 18 or younger, is smoking a corn cob pipe in the middle of an entire fucking geography class (what high school has this?)
The ways he dispatches Bluto without direct contact fighting are sometimes pretty funny, especially compared to "Popeye The Plumber", which is like if someone made yet another "Floor Flusher" or "Plumbing is a Pipe" type short, but removed anything actually funny. Wimpy doesn't even fucking appear as the real plumber.
>>
>>77686194
To be fair there are Bart dolls in The Simpsons, specifically the merchandise from the I Didn't do it boy episode. So Futurama could technically be in The Simpsons future and have toys of Bart.
>>
>>77686428
Bender also spent 1000 years buried in Roswell. So I guess theres like 3 Benders sleeping in our present.
>>
>>77686153
The comic crossover is amazing compared to the rushed shitty episode we got
>>
>>77689288
There's at least 100 Benders under Planet Express, though
>>
>>77683512
Inb4 nerve gas
>>
File: TGIS_(46).png (271 KB, 522x295) Image search: [Google]
TGIS_(46).png
271 KB, 522x295
>>
every family guy episode from 2014 on
>>
>>77684896
For the longest time I didn't even know this was a crossover because I had no idea The Critic was a thing.
>>
>>77694419
wat
>>
File: sdspeedbugs.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sdspeedbugs.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
Remember when Scooby-Doo team up with his knock off cousin Speed Buggy.

Or just the entire New Scooby-Doo Movie series in general .
>>
Also, Evil with Carne might kind of count.
>>
>>77695573
The Secret Saturdays apparently is set in the Ben 10 universe. In the most recent iteration of the show, they did a crossover episode.
>>
>>77686862
We only got few minutes of rule 63 on Neutopia to begin with, so it wasnt even good on this regard.
>>
>>77683319
I recall the Futurama/Simpsons crossover in the comics. That might have been done better than this but I'm not completely sure.

I do know that this crossover took too damn long to actually happen, and was kind of... unfulfilling because of that.
>>
File: race.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
race.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
Action Johnny might never be outright called Quest, but this was for sure the real Race Bannon.

Would Harvey Birdman count, even though "dead cartoon crossover" was the entire conceit of the show?
>>
The best Dead Show Crossover.
>>
>>77696968
Funnily enough, Action Johnny is Johnny Quest in canon, its just that Adult Swim/Cartoon Network made them dance around it because apparently they were looking at a reboot around 2005 or whenever the episode aired. Since it didn't come to pass, Johnny being a tweeked out drug addict is effectively canon. In fact I think I do remember him being referred as "Mr. Quest" during the Therapy episode in Season 5 or whatever.
>>
>>77683527
I know WWE ratings are bad but they're not dead yet
>>
>>77697168
Anon meant The Flintstones.
>>
File: thanks Roman.png (21 KB, 588x379) Image search: [Google]
thanks Roman.png
21 KB, 588x379
>>77697209
I know, I was saying how awful WWE is
>>
>>77697275
Out of interest, what caused that huge 1997 slump and sudden jump?
>>
>>77697485
I'm guessing that was Dwayne The Rock Johnson.
>>
File: 791057.jpg (112 KB, 600x931) Image search: [Google]
791057.jpg
112 KB, 600x931
>>77697485
Went from cartoony goofy stories to Raw, edgy, stories that some blurred the lines from fake and real. Some crap, some great, some embarrassing, some unforgettable stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznErMk97B4

>>77697552
This guy carry the company and then the Rock came.
>>
>>77695464
You poor, deprived thing.
>>
>>77683617
>...the American people will have nothing to laugh at! Except us politicians.

Was this by the Rocky and Bullwinkle team? I bet it was the Rocky and Bullwinkle team.
>>
>>77686862
>I thought Neutopia was one of the worst Futurama episodes ever made
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was actually a bit mad over how terrible it was.
>>
>>77694419
I'm not too keen on what they did to Drew.
>>
>>77695464
The Critic was never a thing in any country besides US, so we just assumed he was another one-shot character. The "I smell a cheap crossover" joke wasn't even translated.
>>
>>77696583
Great episode.
>>
>>77696032
Did they ever team up with Jabber-Jaw? Because that's another near-identical Scooby-Crew.
>>
>>77697805
How fortunate that the episode stands so well alone.

I'll be honest, I get why it didn't leave the US. It was so damn heavy on pop-culture, other countries were bound not to get a good deal of it.
>>
>>77686991
>Futurama had 4 DVD movies

The Futurama movies suffered precisely because they ran too long and the plots were not substantial enough to support the runtime.
>>
>>77689268

Plus the merchandise in the Behind the Laughter episode.

The Simpsons could have very well been both real and fictional in the Futurama universe.
>>
>>77697981
I dunno, the first one was pretty interesting. Wild Green Yonder was too.
>>
File: powerpuff.png (651 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
powerpuff.png
651 KB, 960x720
>>77696583
>>
>>77694465
kek
>>
>>77697845
I think there was a 4-way crossover between Speed Buggy, Scooby-Doo, Jabber-Jaw and Josie and the Pussycats.
>>
like half of the crossovers lilo and stitch did
>>
>>77696583
i completely forgot about this, too bad billy and mandy wouldn't hold up if i watched it now. that kinda goes for all the cartoons I watched as a kid, sad to say.
most people talk about how they loved 'suchandsuch' show and 'whatsit' when then were a kid and would love to watch it again but it's just the nostalgia factor making the show seem good and watching it again takes away from that

but there are a few gems that do, but is it worth it to find those at the risk of taking away the memories of how good the show was when you were young?

crossovers are the work of greedy network execs trying to hype up both shows, i can only think of one that isn't and its the one between roiland and hirsch, but technically that's not a crossover but hinting at both shows existing in the same universe. that, i think, is much cooler and better writing than blatantly stating the shows do
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
>>77704736
Go on YouTube and watch Ectocooler again.
It's still great.
>>
>>77705107
>Diamond is Unbreakable
>>
File: 1441162534441.png (53 KB, 592x535) Image search: [Google]
1441162534441.png
53 KB, 592x535
>>77686576
>>
>>77705216
>muffled sceams
>>
>>77704736
>billy and mandy wouldn't hold up if i watched it now

It holds up better than you expect. Some episodes are definitely rough, and not every joke lands, but it's still pretty good.
>>
>>77683517
can't really call that a crossover, considering that the Blue Falcon is fictional within the movie
>>
>>77704736
Billy and Mandy held up and I really didn't expect it to. I get what you mean about old shows having nostalgia glasses.
I tried watching Ren and Stimpy again sometime in my teens. I tried to like it but it was just bad. But I just watched it the other night and I fucking loved it, maybe sometimes just getting older just fixes that for some things
>>
File: yogi.png (460 KB, 561x419) Image search: [Google]
yogi.png
460 KB, 561x419
>>77698940
>>77696583
>hey little girl, what's in that basket?
>>
Rugrats go wild
>>
File: Tonpetty.png (188 KB, 250x288) Image search: [Google]
Tonpetty.png
188 KB, 250x288
>>77683517
>tfw there will never be a scooby doo and Space Ghost crossover

George Lowe needs love.
>>
>>77706118
>Rugrats Go Wild came out in 2003
>Rugrats ended in 2006
>The Wild Thornberrys ended in 2004
>>
>>77697981
Bender's Big Score > Beast with a Billion Backs = Wild Green Yonder > Shit > Bender's Game
>>
>>77706298
Actually, I take it back, upon further recollection WGY is worse than BwBB
>>
>>77684896
I still can't believe the temper tantrum Groening had over this.

Or more so, I'd respect his attitude about this crossover more if the last 15 years of The Simpsons didn't exist.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.