[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paranatural
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 46
File: 1448353538-Ch5Pg81.png (757 KB, 764x1134) Image search: [Google]
1448353538-Ch5Pg81.png
757 KB, 764x1134
>*isabel voice* the scene of a murder

HIJACK...!
>>
As if it would be that easy. How is Hijack gonna wiggle his way out of this one?
>>
Hijack a shit. I like his design though.
>>
and then Isabel gets detention because the class saw her donkey punch him before he collapsed.
>>
File: dank meme.png (152 KB, 324x472) Image search: [Google]
dank meme.png
152 KB, 324x472
ayy lmao
>>
Do you guys remember the Cousinhood?
It used to be a thing before this became a comic about sports.
>>
>>77683145
>max still in intense pain
Stop showing us that, Zack. I don't want to watch him suffer.
>>
File: suz.png (50 KB, 138x325) Image search: [Google]
suz.png
50 KB, 138x325
Why is she so great?
>>
>>77683145
Why the fuck did he leave the body if he got what he wanted?
>>
>>77683713
Getting hit by multiple dodgeballs all over your body hurts.

It was probably too much for him to handle.
>>
>>77683145
We know they don't catch him here or he escapes though, we've known that since December 30th 2014.
>>
Wow, is this comic ending already? Is the game over? I know it's been a couple of years but it's rare for webcomics to actually come to a conclusion.
>>
>>77683957
No, just this long, unnecessary arc.

Will paranatural be good again?
>>
>>77684047
No.

The readers from here already have this certain mindset, hating on the new pages in general, so they'll overanalyze every new page to find something to complain about.
>>
>>77684072
A said paranatural no paranatural's fans
People over analyzing a comic have no impact on the actual quality of the comic whatsoever.
>>
>>77684047
Chapter 4 looks good in comparison.

Yesterday Zack admitted that he was sick of Chapter 4 and that's why the quality dropped in its latter part. I wonder how he feels about Chapter 5? He's probably going to drop the comic before he ends the chapter.
>>
>>77684047
I just thought what if the rest of this chapter is just lesson themed hijack battles?
> p2 English: the gang must win a poetry slam to drive Hijack from his new host (80 pages)
>>
>>77684047
>unnecessary arc.
why do people say this? How do you know? It's fucking baffling to see how /co/mblr appropriate other people's story to the point they decide what's important instead of the author. I mean, dude, chill out, and possibly get help.
>>
>>77684218
It put a halt on everything, the story barely progressed and the character development was either minimal or poorly executed. Most of the characters acted without any trace of logic, and the only reasoning behind every action was to satisfy a sports arc.
At least there was world building during the train chapter. But there's nothing here.
>>
What ahhh. What web comic dis?

Suh.
>>
>>77684247
P-Paranatural?????
>>
>>77684254
O_o okey...
>>
>>77684155
>Yesterday Zack admitted that he was sick of Chapter 4 and that's why the quality dropped in its latter part.

Are the laments you were looking for?
>>
>>77684303
>>
>>77684307
...aye or nay, /co/?
>>
>>77683145
Is it me, or is the vice principal looking right at Hijack?
>>
>>77684402
It's difficult to tell without her having pupils, but I'd say she isn't.
>>
>>77684218
>/co/mblr
Is this now a buzzword for "people do something I don't like"?
>>
File: 2013-01-05-chapter-3-page-31.png (816 KB, 827x972) Image search: [Google]
2013-01-05-chapter-3-page-31.png
816 KB, 827x972
>>77684247
>>77684270
I recommend starting from the beginning in the archives. If you're kind of a patient person, you're gonna have an awesome time...until you reach the latest, then you may complain like us old goats here.

Why? Chapter 3 [pic related is one of its pages] is considered by many as the magnum opus in terms of art direction and pacing so far, BTW. You're lucky to have discovered this comic quite late, you wouldn't have to deal with the pacing of the pages after that chapter (esp. mid-Ch 4, it took a LOT OF PAGES). I don't know about you, but we at /co/ kinda wondered why couldn't Zack try to repeat the same level of quality since then.
>>
>>77684438
it all started going downhill when he switched to digital
>>
>>77684438
The art used to be so good. Right now it's not bad, and Zack has become more skilled, but it somehow looks worse. It's not just the colors. The facial expressions look simpler.
>>
File: 2012-12-21-chapter-3-page-29[1].png (806 KB, 830x984) Image search: [Google]
2012-12-21-chapter-3-page-29[1].png
806 KB, 830x984
>>77684438
I miss Isaac.
>>
File: pn_disgust.jpg (15 KB, 231x185) Image search: [Google]
pn_disgust.jpg
15 KB, 231x185
>>77683145
Why does it look like a naked flying ass bean?
>>
>>77684218
Hello anon, I see you're a new reader.
Please lurk more.
>>
>>77684303
>>77684307
>>77684313

I zach ill guys? Is he going to die?
>>
>>77684438
Fuck I used to love this comic.
>>
>THREE WHOLE PANELS
Wow Zack don't push yourself too hard

>>77684402
>>77684419
It was hinted before (when she was interrogating Jeff) that she knows about spectrals or Hijack.
>>
>>77684872
>It was hinted before (when she was interrogating Jeff) that she knows about spectrals or Hijack.
Of course, but that doesn't mean she has the ability to see spirits.
>>
I have a wild question now that this thread's up.

It's kinda observed how spectrals usually fume colour when they're excited right? If they're angry or nervous, if the heart starts pumping fast, the spectral energy wooshes as so.

What if this applies to sexual libido too as spectrals reach upon puberty? Should mediums like Isaac get sexually excited, would their external powers leak out as well? What if some point in the future, Isaac will electrocute his sexual partner as he reaches into climax "getting it on"? You get the idea.
>>
>>77684978
Isaac seems pretty in control of his powers due to his posession.

It's still possible though. Won't ever get addressed though since this is a webcomic for young teens.
>>
I've been rereading old pages and it was really good. I wonder if it'll be back to being great now that hitball is over.
>>
>>77684428
dang it /co/mblr, it takes effort to not know how the rest of the site calls you.
>>
>>77684218
>why do people say this
Because this chapter is not about Hitball, yet it spent a year doing hitball.

>The kids scour the school for leads after learning one of their teachers is hiding a dangerous secret

Not

>The kids scour the school for leads after learning one of their teachers is hiding a dangerous secret...after playing dodgeball for eight months
>>
File: Team Lightning Rod exploitable.png (69 KB, 313x270) Image search: [Google]
Team Lightning Rod exploitable.png
69 KB, 313x270
>>77684494
Don't we all.
>>
>>77685171
>Because this chapter is not about Hitball, yet it spent a year doing hitball.
you don't know since the chapter isn't over, and even less the story.
>>
>>77683574
Do you remember not sucking dick?
It used to be a thing before not sucking dick. In sure you have no nostalgia for the feeling, but can you at least remember it?
>>
>>77683896
>Doubting the SYCHE-ic powers of Zach
I'm honestly starting to get the idea that hitball /was/ the story, and that the intro will be hand waved away by some other shenanigans.
We, as the audience, will go "whaaaat"
The "only three more years to the chapter ends" fagots will get BTFO.
I can hope and all, but I still don't even doubt it.
>>
>>77685435
Rude.
>>
>>77685074
>other boards.
Good luck with the chemo anon.
>>
File: 1441422343596.png (41 KB, 233x190) Image search: [Google]
1441422343596.png
41 KB, 233x190
>>77684625
>>
>>77685467
You mean we'll have to climb another rung on Zack's ladder of bullshit? I wouldn't be surprised.
I reckon it will probably be a two part chapter or something.
>>
>>77686027
That's what I hope.
Boy, Paranatural is really following Homestuck's coattails.
>>
>>77686053
I wish it was following early Homestuck update schedule instead
>>
It has been 37 pages of hitball so far. Considering 2 pages a week, we are18.5 weeks in hitball. Let's make this number 19 since there was one or two times he didn't finish the page. It's about 5 months in hitball.

Now, being optimistic, let's say each arc is 6 months long. This means we get 2 arcs/year. I think Zack will hold on Paranatural for about 5 or 6 years since it already looks like he doesn't really want to draw it anymore. This still means we have 10 more arcs to go, being optimistic.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be like berserk.
>>
>>77686082
Homestuck's update schedule could only be sustained because the art was shit. Paranatural's update schedule is okay as it is.
>>
>>77686149
what really bothers me is that at the beginning of the chapter he was able to advance the story really well. We get to know about Isabel is doing, what Isaac is doing, what Max is doing, in a very short amount of pages.
>>
>>77686149
>already looks like he doesn't really want to draw it anymore
He's said something, or do you mean the shift in styles?
>>
>>77683378
By Possessing Another kid, and taking him to the hitball championship.
>>
>>77686221
it's normal for an artist to stop liking his shit after a couple of years. I think this is just coming sooner for him. Perhaps we can spot that more easily in a couple of years. I just don't want it to be like Berserk, 23 years old manga where the guy just updates when he feels like.

perhaps if Zack gets someone to help him.. it will make things right again. Or perhaps the next arc will be better, we don't know.
>>
>>77686221
Read:
>>77684303
>>77684307
>>77684313

Paranatural's popularity seems to have inflated his ego a little but also seems to be having some sort of breakdown.
>>
I still don't understand why did the characters follow the rules of the game, lest of all Johnny.
>>
File: tumblr_nnlia6Loh01qhxz5mo1_500.png (246 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnlia6Loh01qhxz5mo1_500.png
246 KB, 500x707
MORE LISA WHEN
>>
>>77683957
>is the comic ending
Hitball is one half of one chapter.
>>
>>77684303
>>77686364
>think of yourself, as a maggot... . that corpse (your big dream project) isn't going anywhere............
That's some dark imagery, I'm kind of worried about him now.
>>
>>77683574
Sports is over shut the fuck up
>>
Is VP reacting to Hijack?
>>
>>77684303
>>77684307
>>77684313
He is correct.
>>
File: ed.jpg-large.jpg (23 KB, 274x640) Image search: [Google]
ed.jpg-large.jpg
23 KB, 274x640
>>77684466
It's got less corners and sharp points now due to tablet I guess. I wish Zack would find a way to perfectly translate his hand drawing style into digital.
>>
>>77684978
It would make sense.
>>
>>77686149
>since it already looks like he doesn't really want to draw it anymore
Pretty stupid if you get that impression
>>
>>77686392
Kinda thought this was Mettaton from the thumbnail and colors
>>
File: Untitled.png (647 KB, 764x1134) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
647 KB, 764x1134
I did a thing.
>>
>>77686852
I mean, that's neat and all, but why?
>>
>>77686852
I like it.
>>
File: para6.png (590 KB, 758x1143) Image search: [Google]
para6.png
590 KB, 758x1143
>>77686861
Last thread some anons were wondering what Paranatural would look like if Zack didn't use full colour, as the colouring process takes a huge amount of time.
>>
>>77686937
Man, people will think I'm trolling, but the train arc was so good. Forge was cool, the train was cool, and the overpowered cat-dog-demon's respawn powers were cool. The dogs were the best.
>>
File: despair.png (287 KB, 347x422) Image search: [Google]
despair.png
287 KB, 347x422
>>77686364
>having some sort of breakdown
>>77686560
>That's some dark imagery, I'm kind of worried about him now.
>>77686361
>perhaps if Zack gets someone to help him...it will make things right again

> tfw you're really not free for another SNS account but you still wanna reach out to him
He really needs some hugs. And some hiatus for good rest and seeking assistance + inspiration besides manga + anime,of course.

>>77686852
"Muito bom", as Portuguese speakers would say learning from Youtube comments.
>>
>>77686937
How much less time does that coloring take compared to Zack's normal style? It looks really cool, he should at least try it out for a noir-ish arc.

>>77687056
Paranatural reads much better archived, where hitball/the train doesn't drag out for months and months.
>>
>>77686852
I wonder if Hijack will end up being Dimitri's spirit?
I want Isaac to leave the activity club and to side with Johnny and Dimitri in an alternative front.
Man, now that hitball has ended I'm hyped again for the comic.
>>
Oh, I just realized something.
Johnny's spectral energy is white to mirror Max' black energy.
>>
>>77686852
I don't get it.
>>
>>77687494
Spirits are basically stands
>>
>>77687279
That spoiler tag didn't work for "besides manga + anime", huh...nevertheless, I'm still sticking to my point. I think Zack could try to diversify the scope of his inspirations to make his comic more sinteresting + appealing. ANYTHING - TV, movies...
Speaking of which, somehow Team Lightning Rod's poses on their wallpaper remind me a bit of this:

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDr1MD2a1aM]

...heck, the whole film fills the spot of comic bookish looniness + hard action, maybe Zack can get some pointers from here and mix with the paranatural stuff to make something unique!
>>
>>77683574
The Cousinhood of Men hasn't even been formally introduced, so it's not yet a thing beyond the name.

In before people think the death cultists at the end of Chapter 4 are the Cousinhood of Men despite all CoM silhouettes involving cowboy regalia.

Speaking of those cultists, please tell me they obsess over the number 11, please Zack, give at least that to me
>>
>>77687415
Johnny is gonna be gray.

Only white spectral so far is BL. White aura, smartasses. In before SJW jokes.
>>
>>77683145
I still don't understand anything about Hijacks motives or reasoning for playing Hitball.
Why didn't he just leave the classroom or something?
>>
>>77688363
He figured it was the fastest way to get to hurt a bully, but his plan failed because he didn't take into consideration just how profoundly fucked up is Mayview, and especially this school.

This is the whole point of the Hitball arc, to finish establishing Mayview Middle School as the cesspool of bizarre and over-the-top insanity and to give a few more looks into characters that are important but haven't had the chance to shine yet, like Cody and Dimitri. It's not even that long a comic arc and it reads in a flash.

But people here love to look jaded on purpose and attack Zack because he hangs out with Gigi and dissed 4chan, spewing criticism purposefully too edgy and too strict against a comic that they used to like and (apart from a subtle style change) hasn't changed a tiny bit, and making any REAL criticism that reaches Zack seem like the usual bullshit spewed by 4chan. Their idiotic banter does nothing but lessen the impact of actual criticism done to the comic, because now what is real criticism and what is trolling? Let's all remember that art criticism is SUBJECTIVE, so there's nothing objective to use as anchor to distinguish real concerns over "Hack Morrison a hack that drank Gigi's koolaid pickle juice".

Plus, I bet Zack knows all too well that his comic isn't perfect and is painfully aware of where it's lacking. Just as much as he is unaware that you're still pretending you're throwing shade while he might even think /co/ no longer talks about his comic because it's now unpalatable to us, with his fat black blind chubby characters in lesbians with a middle eastern doctor lady who rides a bike. (But I'm sorta into that?)
>>
>>77683145
Quick, describe what Isabel is doing right now from the perspective of the normal non-spectral crowd!
>>
>>77688363
...Whoops. Sorry for complaining about the whole thread in a reply to you.
>>
>>77688551
No one's gonna be paying attention, and those who are gonna be paying attention to her probably know she's catching a bean with a net.
>>
>>77688551
she is being best girl, according to them.
>>
I feel kind of bad for the kid who was possessed. Everyone who isn't a spectral is probably going to hate him now.
>>
>>77688621
I dunno', everyone (or atleast everyone he hangs out with) seems to have caught on that that isn't actually him, even if they're unsure of whats going on
>>
>>77688621
Mild-mannered Cody became a monster.
Dimitri BLOCKED one of his throws and came out of it unscathed, while Max had an arm broken.
The Student Council.

If anything, they'll all think Jeff got too much into the game just like the rest of them. Most of his friends are even aware that wasn't Jeff.
>>
>>77688543
You're the only one hanging onto Zack's minor social justice bent anon, nobody in this thread has brought it up none of us give too big of a fuck that he doesn't like us otherwise we wouldn't still be reading after all this time.

The fact that you can't see the comic has gone down hill is a result of your ridiculous contrarian boner. This isn't reddit faggot, you can't win imaginary internet points here.

Maybe try reading the thread and see how many anons are hopeful for an improvement now this pointless sports manga homage is finished.
>>
>>77684307
As someone who's all but given up on drawing because of frustration with my lack of skill, this analogy hits particularly hard.
>>
>>77688761
Should I go back to /co/ archives to look for the exact thread that caused a turning point in the opinion about Paranatural here on /co/? Because it was the one where Zack's Twitter rants about 4chan were first posted.

I was there. I was in that fucking thread.

Don't even fucking go there, trying to make it look like you really think this comic went downhill for legitimate reasons. There are archived threads out there, lots of them, that say otherwise. I know it, you know it.

So please. Make it easier for you and me and just admit it. Last thread someone called Zack an SJW and a kuck, even. So the sentiment is still there, you think you're hiding it well with your careful omission of the usual meme terms thrown against people perceived as SJWs, but come on, I'm not new to these threads.

The only thing you achieve with that post is looking like you're in denial. But I also know that this post is facetious.

Come on. Call Zack an SJW and a kuck like you did last thread. Yes, I know there's a high chance it wasn't you. I don't care. I just wanted to let you know how unproductive this whole pretense of feeling the comic has "dropped in quality" when you actually feel betrayed by Zack for dissing your imageboard. You won't listen. But who knows, perhaps someone else will.
>>
>>77686852
>>77686937
Looks dope. You should show it to him.
>>
So how come this hasn't become a cartoon yet? It's very endearing compared to most shows on tv.
>>
>>77688761
Let me add something else.

>Maybe try reading the thread and see how many anons are hopeful for an improvement now this pointless sports manga homage is finished.
The same thing happened after the train. No matter what comes next, the general "opinion" here will be that it's shit, because that's what people are looking for. Ways to say how Paranatural continues to be shit.

I don't even know what you get from it, really. Does it feel that good? To be a troll and spew shit, even when knowing that the intended victim doesn't know nor care? Do you do it just to vent frustrations? I don't have a fucking idea.
>>
File: 1234543234.png (423 KB, 479x353) Image search: [Google]
1234543234.png
423 KB, 479x353
>>77688543
>fat black blind chubby characters in lesbians with a middle eastern doctor lady
Seems to me that Day is more overtly admiring (obsessing?) over Zarei in a SpongeBob-is-Kevin's-Biggest-Fan sort of way, to me. Oh, and about Dr Headscarves...based on what we know about her (attitude + mannerisms), she seems to be the sort of person who's NOT into romance of ANY KIND because it may interfere with her work, like Sherlock Holmes (at least, the BBC one with Benedict Cumberbatch).

>>77688578
>she's catching a bean with a net.
Are you insinuating that the normal kids wouldn't know the difference between a bean and a brain? Beans don't have folds all over their surfaces.

>>77688708
>Mild-mannered Cody became a monster.
Ugh, don't remind me of the smug pretentious sports-godlike bastard he became, anon.
>>
>>77689020
>>77688932
Jesus christ man calm down. You look turbo autistic when you get this worked up over what other people on the internet think.
>>
>>77689074
>Are you insinuating that the normal kids wouldn't know the difference between a bean and a brain? Beans don't have folds all over their surfaces.
It's a joke. It's a callout to the previous alt text. Ya dingus.

>Ugh, don't remind me of the smug pretentious sports-godlike bastard he became, anon.
It's called "being too much into the game". It was played for laughs. I know I laughed.
>>
>>77688932
Do it, I was in that thread too - the complaints during the mystery train were far less extensive and whilst we complained about Zack for the most part the comic itself was still more loved. The oh-so-clever ride never ends meme references and annoyance at a few aspects were nothing compared to the general dislike of hitball.

You've got to remember that the thread isn't just one hivemind and for every kekposter there is an anon who genuinely wishes we could have some delicious dense storytelling and humorous max quips again.
>>
>>77688932
>>77689020
I loved the comic. I want to love the comic, But I don't love the comic.
This has nothing to do with trolling and nothing to do with Zack not liking 4chan.
You don't have to believe me anon but it's true, you're just as blind as the shitposters you hate so much.
>>
>>77688932
>I just wanted to let you know how unproductive this whole pretense of feeling the comic has "dropped in quality" when you actually feel betrayed by Zack for dissing your imageboard
His pacing has been going downhill even when read in an archival format. Hit Ball is a single scene of a much larger chapter and it alone is almost 60 pages, which is longer than both chapter 2 and 3. His reliance on monologuing recently also made the game had a very stop-and-go flow to it. Most of the time was spent talking about hitball and not even playing the damn thing, so it felt even slower than it was as a result.

I love Zack's humor but when it comes to drama and action he has a lot of room to improve, especially when he's borrowing so much from shonen anime. It's just become harder to tolerate recently because between the Ghost Train and Hitball the comic has shifted all most of its focus in that direction instead of playing to his strengths.

Just because there's a few shitposters whining about gigidigi and his twitter garbage doesn't mean all criticisms are void. There's a blatant style shift between mid-chapter 1 and the current chapter if you bother to compare them.
>>
>>77689106
> the previous alt text
Sorry, anon. Guess I was so disinterested in the last threads(!) not going far that I even forgot the other details when I left them...
>>
>>77688551
They think she's looking like the dorkiest mime right now.
>>
>>77689134
>and for every kekposter there is an anon who genuinely wishes we could have some delicious dense storytelling and humorous max quips again
>implying we don't have any of that
Is everyone too busy looking at the balls? This arc established stakes (DuNacht, the Student Council, Hijack), it developed characters (Dimitri isn't a nice kid, Max became aware of his penchant for flight instead of fight and did something about it), and it's not the only thing happening in this chapter (Spender is now aware that he has an antagonist that isn't the Consortium, DuNacht is manipulating Principal Pleezdoo into looking for the troublemaker in the bus thanks to Suzy, Doorman's Master)...

>>77689231
I don't have a way of knowing how passionate have you been in your criticism because you're anon, but others around here on every thread have been passionate enough to betray themselves about how legitimate their trolling looks.

Again, not accusing you. But it's a thing that happens and anyone with two eyes can see it.

>>77689283
Like I said earlier, I'm not implying the comic isn't flawed, and I even think Zack is aware that his comic isn't perfect and that he has room for improvement (he doesn't seem like the type who'd shy away of criticism).

But there's no way to distinguish real criticism for shitposting -in these threads-, and the flaws you see in the comic might not be flaws to others - and every 4chan board is known to host a bunch of people who treat their opinions like they're objective truths; so you add a further layer of confusion, and now you have real criticism, excessive criticism, and shitposting.

And as for "pacing"... Does anyone even take "pacing" criticism seriously? Paranatural is a webcomic. Every single webcomic has terrible pacing when compared to a comic delivered in installments, because the delivery rates are different and that affects the impression people have about the comic itself. 60 pages aren't even that many when read in one sitting.
>>
>>77684303
>>77684307
>>77684313
Nah, fuck you Zack. Go big or go home. You say you like feedback but I know what you actually like is validation. If you did your story in one whole chunk you'd be satisified with it, but you allowed twitter and Gigi of "Abysmal Pacing Quest" to make you into yet ANOTHER insufferable artist.

You'll never be King, because your need for comfort outweighs your ambition.

Also "the big project isn't going anywhere?"

Bullshit. You could die tomorrow. You could have cancer. You could slip on the floor and be made into a retard. If you care about your big project, you DO your big project.

End of fucking story
>>
>>77688543
>with his fat black blind chubby characters in lesbians with a middle eastern doctor lady who rides a bike
I don't think it's that. I think she's meant to represent an obsessive fangirl, sort of like Calliope in Homestuck.
>>
>>77689482
Hey, anon who said "nobody in the thread has brought it up"... QED. Look at this flaming faggot over here.
>>
>>77689501
>it's not lesbians, it's fangirls
I prefer to think it's lesbians.
>>
>>77689074
>Ugh, don't remind me of the smug pretentious sports-godlike bastard he became, anon.
I liked it, but it felt too much like Isaac and it was weird. The problem is that he felt way too different from the Cody we had seen until that point, but it's good that they reinforced that he's supposed to be Jeff's protector. That was neat. It's a good brOTP.
>>
File: blew it.gif (754 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
blew it.gif
754 KB, 400x358
>>77689471
>And as for "pacing"... Does anyone even take "pacing" criticism seriously?

Yes. Webcomics might be bad at it, but not all are as bad as Paranatural. Gunnerkrigg Court, for example, has pretty good pacing despite the story moving slowly. The trick is adequate output, which Zack can't do because he'd rather tweet than draw.

Also don't act like serials are anything new, books were written in fucking newpapers back in the 1800s, and manga is published chapter by chapter on a weekly basis in Japan. Their pacing was still way better than Paranatural's is.
>>
>>77689537
Good for you, but it's a bad pairing.
I want to see more of Zarei, I really like the few we saw of her. She looks interesting.
>>
>>77689521
What did I say about Social Justice? I just said his pacing is the same as Cucumber Quest I.E. shitty.
>>
>>77689521
He didn't say anything about SJW nonsense, m8.
>>
>>77689543
>Yes. Webcomics might be bad at it, but not all are as bad as Paranatural.
>The trick is adequate output
How much is "adequate", though? More subjectiveness. And I bet someone out there thinks GC updates slow as balls.

>books were written in fucking newpapers back in the 1800s, and manga is published chapter by chapter on a weekly basis in Japan. Their pacing was still way better
>comparing media that updates chapter by chapter to media that updates page by page
It's like you're not reading what I write. Didn't I mention webcomics don't hold a candle to stuff that's updated in full installments?

>>77689578
You mentioned Gigi.

>>77689597
He mentioned Gigi.
>>
>>77689627
So? Gigi's comic has terrible pacing and I was commenting on the fact that Zack's comic fell victim to the same problem after he fell in with her. How is that "Social Justice?"
>>
>>77689627
>And I bet someone out there thinks GC updates slow as balls.

Sure, but for the sake of comparison Gunnerkrigg Court finished three chapters, and completed an entire character arc in the time it took for a game of dodgeball to play out in Paranatural. Webcomics update slowly because of their format, that's a given, but the inability to properly decompress a narrative to account for that format is a legitimate flaw on the behalf of a writer.

This scene should not have taken half a year, and its kind of silly to argue otherwise.
>>
>>77689676
IT'S SUBJECTIVE! STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE! SOCIAL JUSTICE SOCIAL JUSTICE IT'S ALL YOU EVER SAY! SOCIAL JUSTICE! GOD WHY CAN'T YOU STOP BRINGING UP SOCIAL JUSTICE?!

...SOCIAL JUSTICE!
>>
File: 1448353820765-1-1.png (14 KB, 91x76) Image search: [Google]
1448353820765-1-1.png
14 KB, 91x76
When will Max's agony ever end!?
>>
>>77689654
I think this is the anon that comes every thread saying that every single person that criticizes Paranatural is butthurt about his statements about social justice. This is what happens when people give him attention.
>>
>>77689627
>And I bet someone out there thinks GC updates slow as balls.
They obviously must be upset about Tom's statements on social justice.
>>
>>77689020
>voicing an opinion on how comic has had poor update consistency, lesser detail for scenes, and an overall slower pace
>you're a troll! a madman!
Hitball easily had good moments in it, the background characters all shined here, and the VP and student council are hilarious. Paranatural isn't COMPLETE shit, it's just that in general things have been of lesser quality and pointing downhill, repeating the same mistakes.
Someone disagrees with you, they're not some pariah of negativity, they just don't feel the same. Don't bring up stuff that happens outside the comic when nobody's even mentioning it, you just look worse in defending your case.
>>
File: lesliehappiness.jpg (706 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
lesliehappiness.jpg
706 KB, 707x1000
>>77689856
Does Paranatural even say anything about Social justice?

It has some imagery, like the big fat blind black woman, but the comic on the whole doesn't go deep into politics.

It just kinda blew its load early and is squandering its premise.

The creator also has gotten lazy and complacent and has taken to twitter to be an "industry voice" like a certain Mr. Diaz
>>
>>77690015
I don't know. People also always compare the pacing to Namek. I guess Toriyama must also have said stuff about social justice?
>>
>>77689676
I don't think is that important.
Paranatural updates slower than Gunnerkrigg, but the art is considerably better and the pages are bigger.
>>
>>77689020
I imagine most of the insincerity comes from wanting to shit up the threads for everyone. Classic 4chan "stop liking what I don't like" mentality.
>>
>>77686149
>It has been 37 pages of hitball so far.
Try again with 54 pages.
>>
>>77689676
Tom Siddell is by far more experienced than Zack Morrison, though. Zack also idolizes John Allison, who updates every day like a machine, but John Allison has around twice the amount of experience in making comics. You're judging a hobbyist against pros.

>>77689654
Gigi's graphic novel is made for print, and only uploaded as a gesture to her fans. It's not meant to be read page by page and Gigi has said this a thousand times already.

>>77689856
Well, it's not my fault /v/ hates Gigi for dropping the hiimdaisy handle and ouvre and for being anti-gamergate. I can't know whose opinions about Gigi are sincere and which are a front because this is a fucking anonymous board.

>>77689953
Of course they are. That's pretty much what I've been saying here.

>>77689987
>Someone disagrees with you, they're not some pariah of negativity
It would help if they weren't as passionate as a Renaissance music critic upon hearing a Romantic piece. It's like the art of critic hasn't evolved in centuries, people are still raving lunatics condemning works that are decent to good like they're the worst shit ever shat.
>>
File: le-implying-shota-face.jpg (14 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
le-implying-shota-face.jpg
14 KB, 220x220
>>77683576
>not enjoying healthy boys suffering
>>
>>77690268
>Of course they are. That's pretty much what I've been saying here.
The post you were replying to was sarcastic, mate.
>>
File: trainwhattrain.png (26 KB, 400x236) Image search: [Google]
trainwhattrain.png
26 KB, 400x236
>>77684199
>>
>>77686574
>>77686574
>>77686574
>>
>>77690446
Hello, Fun Police.

Jokes aside, I recall Siddell has been a target of criticism for social commentary before, though? Or was that someone else? The guy is suicidal though
>>
>>77690119
i counted. Hitball is 37 pages long. They're not playing it since the beginning of the arc.
>>
>>77686937
That looks gross.
>>77687056
I agree.
>>
>>77690557
It begun in Page 27. 55 pages and counting.
>>
>>77684303
No, it was clearly this lament.

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/668894642587439108
>>
>>77690555
He was targeted by the tumblr crowd because they said he was transphobic, and some people on /co/ (i guess trolls?) say he keeps shitting on the trans community for having made that bunny a boy. He's not specially SJW.
>>
File: Tom is suspicious.jpg (99 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
Tom is suspicious.jpg
99 KB, 500x395
>>77690015
>It has some imagery, like the big fat blind black woman, but the comic on the whole doesn't go deep into politics.
As a non-Yank reader...huh? You're implying that Zack made Day a black girl for some heavy-handed motive? I don't quite see how that seems out of place and forced in the comic's setting of spoopy American suburbia.
>>
File: worst-sjw-ever.png (159 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
worst-sjw-ever.png
159 KB, 612x816
>>77690555
Yup. Clearly the SJWiest SJW ever. Tumblr was so gleeful in agreement they couldn't hide how much they wanted him to kill himself.
>>
>>77690588
it looks like the archive wasn't updated yet.
>>
>>77690622
Do **NOT** ever attempt to discuss race with US Americans, anon. That country is like a different planet.
>>
>>77690622
She was introduced shorty after Zack said he wanted to make Paranatural unpalatable to 4chan because if we like the comic that means he's doing something wrong, so people tend to correlate her design to those tweets.
People here gave themselves too much credit.
>>
>>77690622
I just said it's not political. I'm beginning to suspect you're just waiting for me to say something politically incorrect so you can jump down my throat and write me off
>>
File: 1430427631549.jpg (42 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1430427631549.jpg
42 KB, 600x400
>>77690627
>some girls have dicks
>>
>>77690598
You don't have to be SJW to be criticized on your social commentary, you know.
>>
>>77690674
Well, you just said Paranatural is squandering its premise, so of course you must disagree with Zack about social justice.
>>
>>77690674
He's not me. You could benefit from dropping the "my opponent is just one anon" mentality.
>>
File: I am not a healthy boy.png (10 KB, 89x122) Image search: [Google]
I am not a healthy boy.png
10 KB, 89x122
>>77690433
>>
>>77690627
Yep, I answered this in >>77690687

His comment is not necessarily trans-erasing, but there you have the SJWs going nuts on the replies.

To be fair, that'd be being criticized WITH social commentary, not BECAUSE OF social commentary. But whatever, really.
>>
>>77690687
>You don't have to be SJW to be criticized on your social commentary, you know.
And he made none?
>>
File: 2013-12-02-chapter-4-page-58.png (709 KB, 768x1159) Image search: [Google]
2013-12-02-chapter-4-page-58.png
709 KB, 768x1159
>>77684978
Like I said in chapter 4 when this page was posted, it must be what it looks like when you get two spectrals fucking.
>>
File: outtahere.gif (365 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
outtahere.gif
365 KB, 320x240
>>77690656
>>77690661
...I see. I'll keep myself quiet and away from that highly volatile, sensitive stuff that I probably have absolutely no idea / knowledge about anyway.

I kinda forgot, what was Suzy suppose to take a pic of again?
>>
>>77690806
Upshort pic of Max while he's not looking.
>>
>>77690770
The raving SJWs seem to be thinking otherwise, though

and it only takes one SJW complainign about GC's pacing for him to be right
>>
>>77690806
>I kinda forgot, what was Suzy suppose to take a pic of again?
Everything, for her newspaper.
Probably Max agonizing on the floor.
>>
>>77690831
>The raving SJWs seem to be thinking otherwise, though
But it's not, it's a commentary about shitty writing in movies.
>>
So have any of you guys actually given feedback or comments to Zack on his Twitter or something?

While not being a dick about it?

I mean, at least about the art or how he's always cutting it close on updates, and how I'm sure a majority of us will still follow him if he takes a break to make a buffer.
>>
File: considerthefollowing.png (15 KB, 118x158) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.png
15 KB, 118x158
>>77688761
>ridiculous contrarian boner

> you can't win imaginary internet points here.

But if they wanted to win imaginary upboats they would be the opposite of contrarian, they'd have to appeal to the prevailing local circlejerk of opinions.
>>
>>77690883
Yeah, I told him he's great or something along the lines.
>>
>>77690976
It depends on the subreddit, in some being slightly contrarian fills you with karma.
>>
>>77690268
>Well, it's not my fault /v/ hates Gigi for dropping the hiimdaisy handle and ouvre and for being anti-gamergate.

God, I think I remember last August someone asked gigi on twitter what their opinion was on Zoe Quinn and they said like, I don't have an opinion.

How shit changes.
>>
>>77690883
Why are you tone policing this thread so hard, Anon? I sent him criticism about his pacing over twitter and he blocked me. I didn't say anything racist, or mention Gigi, I just said that chapter 4's pacing was a notable step down from chapter 5
>>
>>77691458
Whoops, a step down from chapter 3
>>
>>77691458
Not saying you were a jerk, but I understand it may feel bad to put effort into something and have people talk bad about your job.
>>
>>77691458
Where?

I can't find any actually critical tweets to Zack with the word pacing.

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/573038065100275713
>>
>>77691610
Welp. Gigi disagrees. I guess it's settled now, everybody go home.
>>
>>77691610
Let it be known that the only faggot to post a Gigi tweet ITT is the crazy liberal Anon
>>
>>77691610
Christ. I'm beginning to suspect you ARE Gigi with how much you bring her up
>>
>>77691610
She's really salty about DONT WORRY ABOUT THE PACE DRAW THE FACE, huh?
>>
>>77691717
>>77691737
>>77691780

That's not what I said retards. I am questioning where exactly anyone mentioned pacing to Zack on twitter in a negative context, because literally all I can find in a twitter search is circlejerking like THAT.

Apparently I need a disclaimer. Opinions of gigi are their own, and do not reflect the opinions of anon.

Who is a different anon entirely from the "crazy liberal anon".
>>
>>77691844
Billy's finest hour.
>>
>>77686574
>>77690552
>>77691933

People were paying attention to it 10 hours ago.

>>77684402
>>77684419
>>77684872
>>77684929
>>
>>77691984
Hey.
I'm a faggot.
>>
>>77685074
>it's still trying to be funny
Also no one cares what the other boards call us

/pol/ and /v/ have been in far bigger SJW bullshit then /co/ has
>>
>>77691933
Forget it, anon. Your shame will live forever.
>>
>>77692016
We know anon. Just suck some dick and forget it ever happened.
>>
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/632385781932253184
Seriously where were these pacing complaints where they could see them, he shut down comments section in July. Maybe they were there? Or in email?

Also the worst part is serial readers are in a double-bind. They can't figure out what's truly extraneous and not somehow going to come back to bite the protagonist in the ass on the 78th page of chapter 6, so what kind of detailed and thoughtful pacing-related criticism is constructive?

I mean I wish Hitball could have ended before Planball happened, but that loses Dimitri as chessmaster and Max and Johnny becoming reluctant allies and Cody having the wool torn from his eyes. How do you compress that?
>>
>>77690268
A pleasant rule of thumb is to always assume each individual post is sincere until they give hints of being otherwise in a chain-post conversation.
>>
>>77688543
Take a chill pill, anon
>>
>>77688932
Chill pill, now
>>
File: 1408417993569.jpg (28 KB, 353x352) Image search: [Google]
1408417993569.jpg
28 KB, 353x352
>>77684247
>>77684254
>>77684270
Are you sure you should be on 4chan?
>>
>>77692593
I'm 90% sure those were just shitposts.
>>
>>77691844
What is this?
>>
>>77686686
What, because he gives every character a retarded face now?

There's particularly no backgrounds anymore.
>>
>>77693446
You're pretty stupid then
>>
>>77692938
Some stupid not meme he's trying to push that was never funny.
>>
Boy that one anon sure ruined the thread, apparently they prefer it when we all argue with them about sjw bullshit rather than when we discuss the comic.
>>
So, who else believes Zack is dead, and an impostor replaced him in the middle of train chapter
>>
>>77694310
He's too important to create his own work, everything since ghost train is his PA
>>
File: paranaturaljump.png (3 KB, 73x43) Image search: [Google]
paranaturaljump.png
3 KB, 73x43
>>77694334
So you're saying parantural is ghostwritten?
>>
>>77686937
I think this would take nearly the same amount of time.
>>
File: ....jpg (137 KB, 806x499) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
137 KB, 806x499
>yfw Hijack actually hijacked the storyline

Poetry
>>
>>77697236
Yes it would. To get all the different shades of black and white would take the same amount of time.

Also that looks like shit. It's not designed for black and white.
>>
>>77686937
Spender is legitimately cool, I don't care what Francisco says.
>>
>>77697300
>There was a focus on a game called Hitball
>And the arc made me want to violently hit myself in the balls
LIKE POTTERY
>>
File: 1357948117866.jpg (151 KB, 768x671) Image search: [Google]
1357948117866.jpg
151 KB, 768x671
>Introduce Ed's insecurity and make it seem like he was going to be the focus of the chapter
>Have him sit on a bench, doing literally nothing, for 60 pages, 5 months in real time

What the fuck was going through his head?
>>
>>77688143
>G-Gray spectral energy?! That's one of the rarest colors there is, trumped only by rainbow and octarine! So much better than black!
>>
>>77683145
VP looks shocked and may or may not see Spirits.

Johnny looks distraught somehow. Seeing Shades?
>>
File: 2011-06-28-chapter-1-page-59.jpg (610 KB, 780x1007) Image search: [Google]
2011-06-28-chapter-1-page-59.jpg
610 KB, 780x1007
>Ed says something obvious
>Spender says something obvious
>only Isaac is mocked for stating the obvious
Every time
>>
>>77699537
I think he's focused on Max who is on the ground.
>>
>>77699537
>Johnny looks distraught somehow
He's shocked about Max's injury there.

he's not even facing Hijack
>>
>>77692709
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
File: 1448376661677.jpg (133 KB, 712x491) Image search: [Google]
1448376661677.jpg
133 KB, 712x491
THEY GOT OFF THE FUCKING BOAT BEFORE HITBALL ENDED

>>>/a/133925435
>>
>>77699665
the lineart is so messy, but man i love it.
>>
>>77699801
I liked him busting out and him smashing the spirit with the bat. Those two pages had a lot of 'rigid objects bending hard' that conveyed their force and motion. He doesn't do that anymore, just colored streaks.
>>
>>77699796
Why is it in Zerg?
>>
>>77699964
That's where leaks come from
>>
>>77700069
Damn Japanese piracy is weird.

They scanlate it before they leak it? Cuz there isn't a simultaneously-published official Korean Berserk is there.
>>
I'm honestly still really satisfied with Max's performance. Not only did he actually do something, it's bound to impress those around him.
>>
File: a in 3 years.png (234 KB, 1269x589) Image search: [Google]
a in 3 years.png
234 KB, 1269x589
>>77700151
Koreans are sent advanced copies so they can sell them on time, and people leak the shit out of them, because fuck japan.

That's how most leaks are. Most chapters of Koe no Katachi were leaked by the Chinese
>>
>>77700924
So there is a simultaneously-published official Korean Berserk.

American licensees needs to step up their leak game and get their own advance copies.
>>
>>77701110
>advance copies
But muh CR "simulcasts"
>>
>>77689627
>How much is "adequate", though?
In the time it took for Hitball to be over, Tony has been shown to be a real dick to Annie and bans her from the forest, Annie is rife with grief about it and suppresses her emotions, Kat is trying to figure out how to help, Tony talks about his time away, Coyote is able to get Annie back to the forest, and Annie is forced to live with her anger and emotions instead of trying to hide it under apathy. And now we're about to get even more insight into how Kat feels. How did he do it?

Gunnerkrigg Court's actual main plot has been moving in molasses for many chapters, yet people keep going to the site and enjoying the content. The comic is much more character and world-driven as a result. There are people out there that will not read the comic until they see that the chapter focus is going to be on someone else. Hell, Tom literally references this with the chapter "Parley and Smitty Are In This One".

Paranatural, however, got stuck on the Namek's boat, essentially. And while it could be said that Zack's goal was to have a more impressive full chapter in exchange for a very frustrating time for serial readers, it was not achieved.

Just consider this: Paranatural has the character potential down pat. He has a very good cast that he could work with for years. The Hitball chapter has the detriment of too many characters doing one thing at the same time, which is frustrating if you're someone who doesn't like the thing they're doing. There's a reason why Scooby Doo and the gang split up all the time, and it's not to cover more ground. It's so you had two different scenarios. If you didn't care about Daphne and Fred and Velma doing their thing, you always had Scooby and Shaggy to watch their antics.

If not a lot of people like Hitball, they aren't going to suddenly love Hitball once their favorite character gets more time playing it. They're going to go "I wish my favorite character was doing something other than Hitball".
>>
File: 1423911692-Ch5Pg13[1].png (897 KB, 750x1124) Image search: [Google]
1423911692-Ch5Pg13[1].png
897 KB, 750x1124
>>77701567
I think the more important thing here is that the current page is three panels long, and the previous 30 pages have been chock-full of slow-motion "BIG THING IS HAPPENING" moments followed immediately afterward by "psyche it wasn't a big thing after all" moments.

Meanwhile, the average page of Paranatural (including some in this chapter) has like 10 or more panels per page. Things are actually happening on these pages and they aren't just set-ups for the page after it.
>>
>>77702030
Also fair.

I do appreciate that Zack wanted to try and shake things up and attempt something different, and I'm sure he actually never intended for the chapter to go as long as it has. Just one of those things where you learn as you go.
>>
Well this thread turned into a cluster fuck pretty rapidly.
>>
>>77703259
1 irate poster is all it takes.
>>
>>77700218
Agreed. Hopefully Johnny stops being less of a dick to him and they became bros.
>>
File: 助けて アイザック君.png (47 KB, 264x383) Image search: [Google]
助けて アイザック君.png
47 KB, 264x383
>>77705980
> they became bros
I don't think that would be a feasible idea regarding how this story is going...
>>
Whatever happened to Vegeta
>>
File: tumblr_mmt9o0GSl11r295jko1_1280.png (624 KB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmt9o0GSl11r295jko1_1280.png
624 KB, 1000x700
MUSH
>>
>>77708284
I only come to these threads for more shotanatural
>>
HITBALL?

MORE LIKE SHITBALL
>>
File: SUPERNORMAL1.jpg (256 KB, 477x685) Image search: [Google]
SUPERNORMAL1.jpg
256 KB, 477x685
>>77708284
Original Johnny is far superior than Edgy-Johnny
>>
File: jeff-STOP.png (45 KB, 386x275) Image search: [Google]
jeff-STOP.png
45 KB, 386x275
>>77708284
You keep saying that. What does it mean.
>>
>>77709971
Here you go.
>>
>>77709110
> Original Johnny
> Edgy-Johnny
I don't get it.
>>
>>77699665
Really miss the thick lineart.
>>
>>77707498
Only ever a background character
Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.