[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what are some of the worst flanderized characters in comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12
File: sitcom_char_8984.jpg (53 KB, 330x598) Image search: [Google]
sitcom_char_8984.jpg
53 KB, 330x598
So what are some of the worst flanderized characters in comics and cartoons?
>>
>>77672713
>>>/TvTropes/
>>
I'd probably say Ned Flanders
>>
>>77672813
this.
>>
Meg, Stewie and Brian Griffin.
>>
File: m1500.jpg (470 KB, 1500x1150) Image search: [Google]
m1500.jpg
470 KB, 1500x1150
Well this is pretty good for most of the characters in the case of this show:

season 1

Captain Hero: macho with hidden gay tendencies
Toot: angry bitch & attention whore who generates many conflicts in the house
Foxxy Love: voice of reason but with nymphomaniac and ghetto behavior
Wooldoor: happy Buttmonkey
Spanky: vulgar, nasty and pervert asshole
Princess Clara: very naive, racist, bigoted & fundamentalist only because of paternal influences
Xandir: emotive and repressed homosexual - Repressed Xandir
Ling-Ling: very agressive, nobody gives a shit about him and took for a pet

season 2

Captain Hero: pansexual with some weird paraphilias, totally dumb and sissy behavior
Toot: unpopular sad fat chick sexually obsessed and alcoholic who easy yell against everything
Foxxy Love: permanently erect nipples, evolve into a complete black stereotype
Wooldoor: Happy Buttmonkey but this time with more madness and gay tendencies
Spanky: vulgar & nasty but more loveable and sympathetic
Princess Clara: extremist religious bitch & more racist
Xandir: the only nice person in the house but very gay & promiscuous
Ling-Ling: insert some asian stereotypes here....

Season 3:

Captain Hero: very dumb, totally gay and sissy, more paraphilias and weird fetish, act like a dick
Toot: badass plucky girl, crybaby, gold digger and big slut who fucks with anything who would touch her
Foxxy Love: erect nipples, totally a black stereotype, abused a lot of times on this season
Wooldoor: Happy buttmonkey, easy manipulated but very brave
Spanky: nice party-animal and less evil
Princess Clara: complete bitch who treats his housemates like shit, Knight Templar extremist
Xandir: practically the same like in the season 2, he many times advises Captain Hero with no hopes
Ling-Ling: more asian stereotypes, also he's a good guy and has resolved many of his personnal problems on this season
>>
>>77673102
Captain Hero: 1: Alpha male Hero 2: Gay Hero 3: Idiotic madness Hero
Toot: 1: Angry Toot 2: Depressed Toot 3: Badass Toot
Foxxy: 1: Smart Foxxy 2: Sassy Sexual Foxxy 3: Punching bag Foxxy
Wooldoor: 1: Happy Wooldoor, 2: Crazy homo Wooldoor, 3: Brave Wooldoor
Princess Clara: 1: Naive boring Clara, 2: Intolerant Clara, 3: Alpha bitch Clara
Xandir: 1: Repressed Xandir, 2: Promiscuous Xandir, 3: Nice Xandir
Spanky: 1: Asshole Spanky, 2: Neutral Spanky, 3: Cool Spanky
Ling-Ling: 1: Ignorated Ling-Ling, 2: Proud Ling-Ling, 3: Redemption Ling-Ling

What are your favorites?
>>
>>77673184
>Toot is badass in S3
>Wooldoor is brave in S3
>Xander is nice in S3
>Spanky is cool in S3
>Ling-Ling is redeemed in S3
I've never seen S3, why does everyone hate it if this is true?
>>
>>77673234
Season 3 is "hated" by some people for being too "edgy" and gross by moments, the season looks like two differents seasons because writings changes in two parts.

but anyway there are some good episodes too, but season 2 was better
>>
>>77672934
You can say that about anyone from Family Guy.
>>
>>77672934
Was Meg ever even relevant?
>>
>>77673234
S3 wasn't bad, S2 was just their peak so everything else isn't remembered as fondly.
>>
>>77672713
>>
>>77672713
Simpsons and Loony toons.
>>
>>77675080
You win
>>
>>77673184
>>77673102
I haven't seen beyond a few episodes of the show so I don't know how accurate these posts are, but summed up like this it doesn't really sound like most of these characters are victims of flanderization. In fact it sounds like many of them have a pronounced character arc (Spanky and Ling Ling in particular)
>>
>>77675475
Not for Spanky, he don't appears very much in the show ( because of conflicts with the voice actor )
but his behavior evolve into a good guy in later seasons with no particular reasons, in the season 1 he was really a fucking dick

Ling-Ling incredibly resolves some of his problems in season 3 ( relations with his father and his former trainer )

the real flanderization of all is clearly Captain Hero, in the first season he act like a jock with a more serious voice, but when season 2 begins he become a total sissy with many weird fetishes and strong homosexuality

Wooldoor & Xandir are the sames, except Wooldoor have some brave moments in season 3 ( against the terminator or for escaping to Clara's torture )

Toot at the beginning of the season 3 is a fucking crybaby but in later episodes become more badass, also his sexuality was largely expanded ( most of times with exotics partners )

Foxxy is smart in season 1 but after she's transformed in a total black stereotypical & sexual joke....

Princess Clara become a real bitch but this is a good thing ( really the firsts episodes of season 1 with her boring dramas are uninteresting )
>>
>>77672813
/thread
what kind of question even is this
>>
File: literally who.jpg (104 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
literally who.jpg
104 KB, 1920x1080
Not comics, but this motherfucker got it worse than any character I've ever seen in a manga.
>>
>>77678448
Is that what he looks like now?
>>
>>77676296
Did a Russian write this?
>>
>>77678448
What happened faggot
>>
>>77678568

Basically, he started out as a bit of a goon around his two female crew mates and refused to hit women under any circumstances, but was still functional around them.

After a time skip, he spent the better part of the first fucking story arc becoming debilitated whenever he saw a woman by getting nosebleeds that damn near kill him every time.
>>
>>77678809
>character trait used to be a pervert over woman
>now you refuse to hit women
>now you're just completely useless whenever woman are around you

That isn't flanderization
That's regressing back to a cameras horny 16 yr old boy
>>
>>77678809
not to mention being completely useless and constantly jobbing
>>
What is Flanderization?
>>
>>77679528
When a character's personality traits/flaws are amped up to ridiculous levels. It's named after Ned Flanders, who progressed from a kind, dorky religious neighbor to an over-the-top religious fanatic Bible-Basher.
>>
>>77673234
In S3 a lot of characters are improved over S2, but Hero is the show's golden boy and constantly all over every episode—he is essentially the main character while being the most jerkass of the bunch.
>>
>>77675080
They might as well rename it Spongebobification at this point. Not even Flanders was this bad.
>>
>>77675080
Anyone feel like giving a breakdown of this? It's been a while since I've watched it but all I remember of their original incarnations was Squidward was just a cranky boring neighbour, Spongebob was an okay kid and Patrick was lazy and somewhere along the way Spongebob turned into a ridiculous flamer and Patrick became legit retarded.
>>
>>77678809
This was played as a joke, though. Massive exaggeration was the punchline. He was literally suffering from the nosebleed metaphor.
>>
>>77678469
yup
>>
>>77672813
Ned Flanders mutated over the time, but was it really bad? Boring good guy neigbour was less amusing then a deranged fundie.
>>
>>77679528
One trait takes over a character with time.
>>
>>77680100
Multi-dimensional characters are less boring than strawmen built for fedoras to tip over.

Flanders was doomed though. He was created in a time when being religious was genuinely admirable to most middle-class people. He wasn't "religious guy," he was "perfect guy who makes Homer jealous".
>>
>>77680239
Yeah, and then religion went bananas.
Now they froth over Starbucks cups and deny people their rights.
>>
>>77680070
...the result was a dramatic scene where he needed a blood transfusion to live, but nobody would offer him one because of racism, which kicked off a major theme of the arc. That was kind of the point where it evolved beyond a gag.
>>
>>77680239
as likable and much more multi-faceted as he was, I'm pretty sure his bible-thumping was not supposed to look anymore noble back then. They just made him a good guy because it made it even more ridiculous when Homer gave him shit.
>>
>>77678809
Wasn't the authors excuse that he spent two years on the island of faggots and thus doesn't know how to act around women anymore?
>>
>>77679193

Sanji actually fought Vergo to a stand-still, intercepted Doflamingo from killing the weakling foursome and is going to feature heavily in the next arc.

Not going to say his major character traits haven't been exaggerated (everyone's have it's part of the problem with having so many characters) but he doesn't job nearly as bad as some. (Smoker, every female, Ace etc)
>>
>>77678809
Sanji a shit now. Godsopp is based.
>>
>>77678809
He spent two years on an island of transvestites, he was overwhelmed to finally see a woman.
>>
File: feels good tommy.jpg (25 KB, 231x224) Image search: [Google]
feels good tommy.jpg
25 KB, 231x224
>>77681157
Usopp was always my favorite Straw Hat. The ultimate underdog. Glad he's finally getting the love he deserves.
>>
>>77683501
The thing about Usopp is that, early in the series, he's the closest to acting like any normal person would in the given situations.
Of course, OP is tons of fun, but I would be scared shitless to face the shit they do.
It's why the moments where me mans up were always so goddamn great
>>
>>77680064
I appreciate Patrick's old characterization more and more the older I get. He was an underwater neckbeard who thought he had all the answers. He considered himself a real sophisticated guy with infinite wisdom to dispense. The only person gullible and trusting enough to buy into his shit was Spongebob. Patrick's life was completely in shambles but Spongebob looked up to him. It was a really well written dynamic. I would argue that he was one of the more 3 dimensional cartoon characters out there.
>>
Homer is still particularly cringe worthy. A lot of his "jerk-ass" tendencies have been declining in recent seasons but he still suffers from a major flaw. Homer at his core was perfectly content with lounging on the couch getting drunk. He was kind of a shitty father and husband because he was completely fine with being as lazy as he could get away with. Now, Homer is actively looking for wacky hijynx to get himself into every second of every episode. Typically the hijynx used to come to him and he'd be a reluctant participant along for the ride. Granted even later seasons of the golden age suffered from this but it's so much worse now.

Also not /co/ but if you want a perfect example of what Flanderization is watch Murican' The Office. It's basically a case study in it.
>>
>>77683563
When in doubt, pinky out.
>>
Marceline.
>>
>>77684082
Bubblegum got it worse. Every trait she had split off into a separate, equally exaggerated branch.
>>
File: 1448287014378.jpg (156 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448287014378.jpg
156 KB, 1920x1080
This guy was great in season one but then they made him fucking incompetant retard because "haha it's funny because he's dumb". All he is now is "ROAR I'M ANGRY, LOOK AT MY ELECTRIC POWERS ROOAARRRRRRR. They made too many episodes centered around him which made him too likable and it makes him look pathetic. He's just a clone from that loser scientist from Phineas and ferb.
>>
>>77684822
At least Dr. Doofenshmirtz could capture Perry every once in a while and only the will of the universe defeated him most of the time.
>>
>>77684184
Bubblegum went from "Quirky politician scientist princess who sometimes seemed suspiciously immoral" to being a candy version of Ozymandias that realistically wouldn't even need Finn and Jake to help her, and she also shows no emotion unless she's with her lesbian lover.
>>
>>77684963
>a candy version of Ozymandias
Ozycandias?
>>
this guy got flanderized twice

he got turned into a poor man's dr doom and then he got turned into a big manchild doing a bad RDJ impression
>>
All of the X-Men. Cyclops being a super special case because he was flanderized by /co/.
>>
File: 1437631782298.png (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1437631782298.png
10 KB, 500x500
Every character from this shitty webcomic.
>>
>>77685473
John Egbert and Caliborn, ironically, are fine
>>
>>77684822
Fucking this.

I used to watch early episodes of this show when it first came out and recently caught a few new ones, holy fuck is his personality completely changed. I think his voice changed too.

His appeal originally was that he was this huge badass dude that keeps getting foiled by a harmless pacifist. There were hints of silliness to his character like how he wears sneakers with his evil villain robe and has a guitar in his bedroom, but for the most part he was supposed to play the role of the typical "big bad". Now he's just a retarded, naive dork. It doesn't play off Wander's character nearly as good as it used to.
>>
Harley Quinn
>>
>>77684822
>>77685603
Thanks, now I know which show I wont pick up again.
>>
Lemongrab

went from a funny autist who doesn't understand the world around him but tries his best, which sometimes leads to heinous acts, to a cruel sociopath who seemingly exists only for a one time North Korea gag and introducing Lemonhope, a character who'll never ever be relevant and wasn't funny on top of that

they really should've dropped him from the cast or reduce to guest appearenced like in the dungeon episode
>>
>>77678448
blame Oda not writing the crew for such a long time.
Luffy was all by himself for Impel Down and and Marineford, and that was like 2 years in real time.
Luffy, Zoro, and Franky remained more or less the same
Sanji turned into failing pervert
Nami and Robin just became pure fap bait
Chopper is fucking pikachu
Usopp being different actually makes sense though, he's suppose to be braver and shit
and Brook is dead
>>
>>77685839
why does chopper look worse?
>>
>>77675080
Holy shit this.
>>
>>77687093
It's a godless world, anon.
Any Starbucks employee could tell you that much.
>>
>>77685839

Why did the 2nd-to-last guy turn into a boat?
>>
>>77688068
He's part cyborg, and he "upgraded" himself by giving himself alot more machine shit to use
>>
>>77687093
His editor wants Oda to keep him cute so they can sell merchandise. Ironically, this is what he looks like when he uses Horn Point. Chopper is probably my least favorite Straw Hat for this reason alone, Sanji being second.
>>
>>77685473
I honestly don't see it.
>>
>>77672713
That is like asking what Happy Days' jump the shark moment was.
>>
>>77684822
He's still pretty funny, but I fully agree that he's no where near as good as he was in season 1. I hate the idea of him being incompetent as opposed to just being childish.
>>
File: Mac_(2).jpg (133 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Mac_(2).jpg
133 KB, 480x640
Well if were gonna talk about /a/, might as well bring /tv/ into this

I love IASIP but there is no doubt that Mac is a victim of flanderization
>>
File: eightbitCast.jpg (13 KB, 173x222) Image search: [Google]
eightbitCast.jpg
13 KB, 173x222
I've been re-reading 8 Bit Theater, I still love it, but I have noticed that the longer it went on the more one flanderized the cast seemed to be and they were pretty one dimensional to begin with
>>
>>77688586
guess how i met your mother is another good example
>>
A bit of an odd example, but, while I like Clerks the Animated Series a lot, Randal was really flanderized, to a degree I didn't like.

In the movie, Randal wasn't an idiot like he is in the show, hell, Randal was probably the smartest character in the movie.
>>
>>77679191
Pervert and refusing to hit them was at the same time
>>
>>77685839
>Chopper is fucking pikachu
I hope you realize they have the same seiyuu.
>>
>>77683482
Yeah, to be fair, his reaction to women afterward seemed pretty reasonable.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.