[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Itt: comics that people say are good but that are actually shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
Itt: comics that people say are good but that are actually shit

pic-related: I've tried to get through this massive piece-of-shit 3 times to no avail. Literally Morrison's incoherent, drug-fueled ramblings in comic form, and as such, completely unreadable.

Oh, and Morrison's claims that

>the Wachowskis ripped me off for the Matrix!!!!!!

are indefensible and pathetic
>>
K
>>
See if you'd posted The Filth you'd actually have a point.
>>
Feel free to kill yourself as an alternative to living with such shit taste
>>
>>77670617
The Wachowskis ripped it way harder for Sens8.
Also if you found the start of the Invisibles incoherent you may be retarded.
>>
I found it kind of hard to get into (like it's possible it's just not my thing) but I wouldn't call it incoherent. Planning on giving it another try though.
>>
>tfw someone can't understand something but it's just because they're stupid
I used to get this feeling of second hand embarrassment so often in lit crit classes.
>>
>>77670617
Morrisons Batman
>>
>>77670617
yeah but I like his incoherent, drug-fueled ramblings
>>
>>77670617
Only thing decent about Watchmen was the art and structuring of the plot. Actual story and characters were garbage.
>>
File: Infinite_Crisis_001.jpg (78 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_Crisis_001.jpg
78 KB, 400x600
I've tried reading it multiple times, I just can't understand the love for this book.
>>
>>77670617
I really only like the villains.

The heroes can go fuck themselves.
>>
Yeah.... you gotta do a lot of drugs or at least be actively on weed while you read it to get it.

or have near phd levels of research on drug culture for all the references to make sense
>>
>>77672376
It's mostly for Superboy-Prime and that one page of Earth-2 Lois dying and the follow-up, i.e. 52
>>
Squirrel Girl, Lumberjanes, Pretty Deadly, Saga there's a bunch of these comics
>>
I loved it
Its like acid the comic book
>>
File: 13440460086.jpg (17 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
13440460086.jpg
17 KB, 367x388
>>77672302
>>
>>
How's it feel being mentally challenged?
>>
>>77672376
A lot was hype for Earth 2 Superman, Lois and Superboy Prime showing up again. (especially since Superman and Superboy were silver age insanity strong)

Also, many liked the idea of the multiverse coming back. Plus the weekly 52 series was a massive success and fun as hell.
>>
>>77672496
>spotted the neckbeard
>>
>>77672471
Anon, don'the be ragging on pretty deadly
>>
>>77670617
Listen, man.

I HATED Final Crisis the first time I read it. I thought it was a bizarre, incomprehensible train wreck of a comic with no real rhyme or reason.

That's until I took the time and effort to engage with the text.

After a deep read through or two, (with the aid of some online annotations), I gradually found it to be a very impressive cape-comic epic- one that features a super-complex structure that isn't immediately evident upon a cursory reading.

The Invisibles is the same way: The final chapter even features King Mob literally telling the reader that if they didn't understand it, then they need to try reading it again.

So be a big boy and challenge yourself by mastering a difficult text.

Or- don't and continue badly articulating yourself to strangers on the internet.

Your call.
>>
File: Emma Rios Pretty Deadly.jpg (2 MB, 1968x3025) Image search: [Google]
Emma Rios Pretty Deadly.jpg
2 MB, 1968x3025
>>77672471
I get /co/'s distaste towards Squirrel Girl and Lumberjanes. I don't really agree with it, but I get it.

Both comics feature silly, cartoony art styles and have, at times, cloyingly progressive plots and characters.

I can understand why the insecure manbabies of /co/ would find those sorts of comics to be unappealing.

But SAGA and Pretty Deadly?

What the fuck are you even talking about? Those comics are damn strong. The art especially- Emma Rios is like a more-fluid Paul Pope, while Fiona Staples brings not only fine story telling, but also completely-insane concept and design work.

It sounds as if you've mistaken "liked by tumblr" as a necessarily damning credibility.
>>
>>77672938
Emma Rios cannot make a readable action comic and KSD is always awful
>>
>>77670617
It's not incoherent it's just shitty for the biggest reason most of Morrison's comics are shitty: The characters have no personalities.
>>
>>77672938
It has nothing to do with disliking cartoony art, it's about disliking terrible art which both Lumberjanes and Squirrel Girl possess. Most of my favorite comics are cartoony and both of those are unreadable, I'm sorry.

Rios is a really nice artist but the writing makes Pretty Deadly a 6/10 comic at best. Staples is the most overrated comic artist working today, maybe if she starts drawing backgrounds she'll be elevated to 'decent'.
>>
>>77672938
Squirrel Girl and Lumberjanes's primary failing is simple: they're webcomics. Certainly there are good webcomics out there, but these two comics are not that kind of comic. The art in Squirrel Girl goes beyond silly and cartoony and enters bad territory. The writing, especially, enters the textbook webcomic scheme of THERE MUST BE A JOKE ON EVERY PAGE BECAUSE I ONLY UPDATE A FEW TIMES A WEEK, down to having fucking alt text

It fails as both an artistic endeavor and as a comedic piece of writing. The recent Bizarro mini accomplished exactly what Squirrel Girl wants to do, with quite good cartoonish art that allowed for physical comedy, and writing that wasn't trite or overdone
>>
File: 4cd.jpg (35 KB, 270x203) Image search: [Google]
4cd.jpg
35 KB, 270x203
>>77670617
I kinda agree desu. boring as shit. Doom Patrol's far superior.
>>
>>77670617

Nah, this comic's breddy gud, you a shit.
>>
>>77672515
To be honest I did not quite get The Filth, sorry, Warren.
>>
>>77672783
>So be a big boy and challenge yourself by mastering a difficult text.

>acting superior over having "mastered" a fucking comic book

Maybe it's time to eat a bullet family.
>>
>>77672376
Wait there's love for this?
>>
>>77676177
Wouldn't go that far but yeah; if you need to read a comic 4 times to "get" it, you've probably lost control of your life. There are new things you could be doing with that time, it's stagnation pure and simple.
>>
>>77672730
>Liking Watchmen is neckbeard
How can you be this out of touch
>>
File: 2516741-01.jpg (46 KB, 409x640) Image search: [Google]
2516741-01.jpg
46 KB, 409x640
This OP. I was so hyped to read something written by Mark Hamill....30 minutes later...
>>
>>77676177
>Le comics are trash and can't be challenging meme
That said, the Invisibles isn't that hard, and it's far too long to just tell someone to "reread it lel".
>>
>>77676315
Any time someone asks about the Crisis event people seem pretty keen on IC. I've never really understood it.

>>77672574
>>77672448
52 is good, but its a different book.
>>
>>77671534
Winar for shittest taste in the thread
>>
Hickman's New/Avengers and Secret Wars.

Which is weird, because I really liked his Fantastic Four and FF.
>>
>>77670695
Fuck you, The Filth was awesome.
>>
>>77673037
The Brazilian tranny Witch has no personality? What fucking book did you read
>>
>>77672938
They probably just hate the chapter where Marco throws the groceries at his wife for becoming a drug addict and she takes off claiming he hit her. Let's face it, Marco's a bitch. But that's his character, and that s the story.
Everything leading up to that was great except losing The Stalk
>>
>>77670617
easier to get into morrison reading animal man or JLA, and then working into the invisibles etc
>thats my experience anywho
>>
>>77676675
I've seen people praise the buildup and 52 but never really the event itself.
>>
>>77672783
Final Crisis really shouldn't have taken you that long to get it
>>
File: Hush.jpg (373 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
Hush.jpg
373 KB, 900x1350
When the story that focuses on a mystery has a blatantly obvious answer, it kind of takes the fun out of it.
>>
>>77672302
I've found that I don't really enjoy Moore all that much in general. That might be your issue too rather than a flaw in the story.

>>77678886
I never see anyone naming it as great, just kind of an entry level thing.
>>
>>77672938
It's less that Squirrel Girl has cartoonish art and more that the art itself is pretty damn terrible, and the writing does not save it. In fact I'd argue the writing is worse than the art
>>77678928
I've heard some people say Hush was really good, and I just don't get the praise. Hush just feels like that super special character that was shoehorned into the character's past to make him seem important, and I found Bruce's and Selina's romance incredibly cringeworthy.
>>
>>77676606
>>77676342
>>77676177
You guys are underestimating the Invisibles. When I first read it, I was already into a lot of the themes being worked there (what's there to rebel after the spectacle, gnosticism, anarchism, etc.) and yet I still find myself coming back to it every now and then and reading a almost completely different book (like KM points in >>77672783 this frame)
>>
File: fmimg8920609002872411358.jpg (119 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
fmimg8920609002872411358.jpg
119 KB, 320x480
shit meme comic tb
>>
>>77679113
>>77676392

Agreed
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.