[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This board has a raging hateboner for Man of steel, that much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
This board has a raging hateboner for Man of steel, that much is obvious.

However, when I go to other sites, they will usually defend the movie by saying it was "closer to the original comics" in tone and "haters just don't understand how deep it is". Apparently in the 40s-50s, Superman was dark and gritty like Batman, before turning all campy in the 60s-70s and climaxing with the Donner movies.

I'm not a comic-reader, so can anyone verify this?
>>
>>77668467
That's horse shit. In the 40s and 50s supes was no more gritty than he is now and saw the usual kiddieification you got from the comics code everyone else got once that hit full swing in the later fifties. It's just normies makng shit up to defend a bad movie
>>
>>77668467
They're only right in the broadest and vaguest of strokes.

Yes, Golden Age Superman was a much "serious, dark and gritty" character in comparison to his Silver Age and Donner versions, which tend to be the versions that people are most familiar with.

BUT, MoS' Superman portrayal is nothing like Golden Age Superman anyways, in tone or style. Golden Age Superman fought for worker's rights, beating up corrupt businessmen and racketeers. He was The People's hero, a working man's savior. His powers weren't godlike. He could jump high, run fast, hit strong, but he wasn't a towering mythical jesus-figure.

MoS is pretty much the polar opposite of this. They spend most of the movie focusing on the godlike elements with the nonstop jesus allegories and the leveling buildings with his powers.
>>
>>77668467
no it wasn't
>>
File: 1413639467265.jpg (186 KB, 1096x800) Image search: [Google]
1413639467265.jpg
186 KB, 1096x800
>>
>>77668467
That's irrelevant. That Zod's death lacks build-up and tonal consistency is indeed one small problem, but the movie is rife with issues at nearly every level.

The script is complete garbage (the two main themes are constantly undercut and worked against, characters act against their own motivations), the editing is horrifying (30 minute pointless opening on Krypton plus 15 minute recap of the scene in a movie already closing in on 150 minutes without them), the acting/directing is wooden, it's just a fucking nightmare of a movie.
>>
File: MoS bingo.jpg (585 KB, 1342x1528) Image search: [Google]
MoS bingo.jpg
585 KB, 1342x1528
Here we go again. I'll just leave this here.
>>
>>77669134
and there's one
>>77668963
>>
>>77668467
When Golden Age Supes smashed up a bunch of buildings it was part of a plan to get the government to provide better housing to the poor
>>
>>77668467
>This board has a raging hateboner for Man of steel, that much is obvious.
This board has a raging hateboner for everything. Nobody here seems to actually like anything. It makes discussion virtually impossible.
>>
>>77669623
but esspecially Man of Steel. Maybe it wouldnt be this way If the movie had any redeming qualities
>>
>closer to the original comics

that's a new one.
>>
>>77669105
>30 minute pointless opening on Krypton plus 15 minute recap of the scene
This is the worst part for me
It just shows they didn't think either audiences were smart enough to pay attention, or they weren't confident in their script
>>
>>77669623
>This board has a raging hateboner for everything
This isn't /v/, most threads here are created because people want to talk about what they like. /co/ just isn't afraid to call out bullshit when it happens (like MoS, certain comics, etc.).
>>
>>77668467
imdb hates it

superherohype hates it

comicbookresources hates it

comicbookmovie hates it
>>
>>77669134
I've seen most of those before and can guess the others but what's the "church scene" panel about?
>>
>>77669806
When he goes to a church for advise on what do do about zod instead of his ghost dad on his ship
>>
File: wda00247[1].png (1 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
wda00247[1].png
1 MB, 1280x536
>>77669806
Subtle.
>>
>>77670068
Whenever I see that, I always think Of Jesus playing vollyball in the back
>>
That's pretty silly seeing as other Kryptonians were pretty God damn scarce for something like twenty years originally.
>>
>>77668467
Well if you use the comics to validate Man of Steel and Other comic book movies then I'm sure you will find some version of the character that matches but the problem is that if its actually good on its own terms in film. Man of Steel is not
Man of Steel is a bad movie
I think some people really do have such a complex about Superman being loved that its impossible for some fans to be critical about anything involving him.
>>
>this board
Absolutely not. It's a handful of Not Muh faggots that keep trying to find story breaking plot holes where there are none.
>>
>>77670164
He was born to serve after all.
>>
File: my nigga.png (383 KB, 316x480) Image search: [Google]
my nigga.png
383 KB, 316x480
>>77670527
CARLOS
>>
It's somewhat close to Earth One
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.