[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what exactly is his function?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: image.gif (56 KB, 260x592) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
56 KB, 260x592
So what exactly is his function?
>>
>>77661884
He's Marvel's Ungoliant.
>>
>>77661915
Fucking what?
>>
>>77661884
One of the new member of Avenger in space.
>>
>>77662182
But he's not black or transgender or muslim!
>>
I choose to be willfully ignorant and believe the Earth X explanation for him is the right one.
>>
Jobber.
>>77662205
>not canon
>>
>>77662192
Galactus' appearance is whatever people believes he looks like.

Do not be surprised that, within the next year, one of Marvels' "progressive" books portrays Galactus as colored for this reason, ie "humanity now 'properly' sees it as a poc" or some shit like that.
>>
To serve as the spark that kickstarts the next universe in the cycle
>>
A balance between Infinity and Eternity
>>
>>77662239
>Galactus' appearance is whatever people believes he looks like.
Always thought that was silly. If he didn't really look like a giant guy in a ridiculous hat he couldn't take said hat off. Yet he can and already has a few times.
>>
File: Big G.jpg (58 KB, 653x435) Image search: [Google]
Big G.jpg
58 KB, 653x435
>>77662272
The cosmic entity you perceive as a giant man in a ridiculous hat makes itself more comfortable, which you perceive as him removing his ridiculous hat
>>
>>77662239
>the Muslim devourer of worlds
Yeah my inner /pol/ approves
>>
>>77661884
AFAIK, equity.
He balances out life and death.

>>77662272
The entity that is galactus does wear a suit to regulate its energies. The said outfit might have a hat.
It still doesn't mean he's actually a big dude in funky armour.
>>
Keeping the opposite of eternity imprisoned.
>>
To job where no one has jobbed before
>>
>>77664877
He's already dead.
>>
>>77664784
>He balances out life and death
What does that mean?
>>
>>77661945
Ungoliant, giant evil shadow spider that killed the two trees of Valinor, throwing the world into darkness until the creation of the Dun and Moon. Also maimed Morgoth, spawned the giant spiders such as Shelob, eventually ate herself/itself.
>>
>>77665937
Fucking what?
>>
>>77666025
An entity from the Silmarilion, the extended writings on the history of the world of Arda, where the Lord of the rings takes place, by J.R.R. Tolkien, published posthumously by his son Christopher.
>>
>>77661884
In the Marvel Universe, new things are constantly being created because of all of the physics-defying superpowers.
Galactus devouring planets keeps the conservation of matter
>>
Jobber
>>
>>77665899
As many as new planets are shaped
As many old planets becomes food of Galactus
He keeps the universe in balance
>>
>>77666254
This seems like the best explanation here. All sorts of beings and people create new matter ad energy from nothing, if that creation process directly corresponded with Galactus' hunger level, it would be great. Of course we've probably put more thought into it than anyway at marvel just now, so don't expect an official answer.
>>
>>77666432
Or you could try to learn that Marvel already has had an official explanation for him for longer than you've been alive?
>>
>>77661884
Conjunctions
>>
>>77666178
too many words Galactus strong
>>
I really liked his function in the Earth X series.

Each world was "impregnated" with the seed of the Celestials, and Galactus' imperative is to remove the seed from each world in order to restore balance to the universe. Upon his leaving, Galactus' in-universe identity was revealed after a certain event regarding the Celestials.

The way vibranium/teragin was handled was great as well in the Earth X universe.
>>
>>77669632
Earth X is one of the few times Galactus and the Celestials have felt properly big and powerful.
This is no longer a battle of men.
>>
>>77666419
Why is that necessary?
>>
>>77669632
>>77670408
I've been meaning to read Earth X. Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas.
>>
>>77665937

Oh...well anon you could have just said Chaos.
>>
>>77672146
Presumably to keep all that empty space from being anything.
>>
>>77674357
There's a lot of fucking empty space. A LOT.
>>
>>77665937
>Galactus eats planets
>Ungoliant eats 2 trees and dick nothing

I know they were important trees anon but I dont quite follow your argument
>>
>>77662272
Marvel Earth humans see him as a giant supervilian. It makes sense.
>>
>>77669632
>>77670408
>>77662205

This has always been the best "reason" for Galactus.

>>77664877
This has always been the lamest reason for Galactus.

But ultimatley asking the "reason" for Galactus misses the point of the character. He's beyond human ability to rationalize. He's a big guy that eats planets because he needs to and doesn't care about the humans living on the planets. He's a dick. He's a badguy. But people like to invent ways that "force his hand" and excuse him from having the genocide high score of the universe.

I always liked his origin as the last human from the previous universe though. It make him poignant. The reason he took a liking to Norin Radd was because he saw himself in Norin. A man throwing himself face first into the cosmic beyond, just as he flew into the cosmic egg. The Galan deep down inside him respects the fearless scientist.

The sadness of Galactus is that for all his insistence on needing nothing and no one he's very, very lonely. He has and will always be tsundere for his heralds.
>>
>>77681076
>He's beyond human ability to rationalize.
Shitty cop out.
>>
>>77670408
>That feel when "they're bigger than the sky"

>That feel when Galactus kills a Celestial with a giant Jack Kirby buster rifle

>That feel when Galactus' true identity is revealed and Reed outwits him.

Earth X was a hell of a ride.

It's a shame. It had lower "power levels" than anything Hickman has ever written and it still felt more exciting and epic in scope.
>>
>>77662205
Mah nigga.
>>
>>77681094
Only if people use that to justify his actions.

If you just do what Kirby did and accept that being beyond human rationality still means he's just a big dick with powers its alright.

A psychopath is beyond human rationality. It doesn't mean you don't stand up to them.
>>
>>77681076
>He's a badguy

He's not malevolent, he just is. The lives of the people on the world have zero importance to him, whether they all escape or die their existence is like a blink to him

I don't consider the lives of the bacteria living off an animal I eat
>>
>>77678912
>a handful of planets
>more important than the fucking trees that control time itself

Anon, I followed the shit out of that. Both are devastating forces that change the known universe through their actions.
>>
>>77681162
>Seeing humans as bacteria isn't malevolent

Go back to Latveria Doom.
>>
File: 1364443147-1272149013-o.jpg (247 KB, 1600x1216) Image search: [Google]
1364443147-1272149013-o.jpg
247 KB, 1600x1216
>>77681076
>he's very, very lonely
>>
>>77681233
For a cosmic being like Galactus that has been living since the creation of the universe? Yeah we are completely beneath him

It takes a Norrin Radd or Reed Richards to get him to pay attention
>>
>>77661884
Bottle opener of the gods.
>>
>>77681257
>Norrin not standing for the nobility inherent in all mankind

Come on man. COME ON!
>>
File: thechoiceisyours.png (2 MB, 854x825) Image search: [Google]
thechoiceisyours.png
2 MB, 854x825
>>77681410
>Norrin not standing for the nobility inherent in all mankind
Galactus too though
>>
>>77681238
I'm convinced it's the same person trying to bring up Galacta in every cosmic thread.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.