[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gravity falling to an end
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Gravity-Falls.png (1 MB, 1040x612) Image search: [Google]
Gravity-Falls.png
1 MB, 1040x612
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/11/21/gravity-falls-is-ending-after-just-two-seasons/
There were probably endless thread about this, but still, why? I haven't even gotten around to watching this yet, I was planning to let some of these newer shows get to seasons 3 or 4 at least before I caught up.
>“Gravity Falls was never meant to be a series that goes on and on forever”
are people taking this "end something once it gets bad" idea out of context or something? people paranoid about something getting bad so they end it? is that it?
>>
>>77653991
The story is over. Summer's ending. We already knew this would happen.
>>
>>77654133
>2010
?
>>
>>77653991
he said from the start that it would be 2 seasons and a ''movie''. let it die.
>>
>>77654133
(Not OP)
Unpopular opinion here, but I'm not bothered by things that go on forever or sequels. Spongebob still airing doesn't actually hurt anyone, it doesn't even put a dent on the industry. Personally, I think it's nicer to have something go on forever, even if it seriously declines in quality, to satisfy the fans that still watch it, rather than something ending when people still REALLY want it on TV. I can list more shows I wish kept going than I can list shows I wish got cancelled (Samurai Jack, Clone High, Dan VS., Avengers Earth's Mightest Heroes).

Like, if something is bad, I'll just stop watching. No skin off my bones. But if a show ends, I can't do shit about it even if I want to still watch it. I don't really buy into the whole "Good on so-and-so for keeping their integrity!" bullshit. Xiaolin Showdown was one of my favorite shows, I was excited when I heard it was getting rebooted with the creator on board, it ended up being shit, so now I don't watch it. It doesn't affect me that Xiaolin Chronicles exists. And I'm right back to square one with "I wish Showdown continued".

But whatever, I know there are a lot of people out there who disagree with this and get violently ill when they think about how their favorite shows are bad now because they went on too long.
>>
>>77653991
>are people taking this "end something once it gets bad" idea out of context or something? people paranoid about something getting bad so they end it? is that it?
For something rooted in episodic comedy like Spongebob or Simpsons it doesn't matter. You can just watch the highlights and ignore all the crap.

Something like Samurai Jack or Gravity Falls, where it set out to tell a story from day one, are totally different though. You can't keep those going forever while trying to have a myth arc at the same time.
>>
>>77654452
>Something like Samurai Jack or Gravity Falls, where it set out to tell a story from day one, are totally different though. You can't keep those going forever while trying to have a myth arc at the same time.

If GF didn't have the whole Bill Cipher endgame, it could've gone on for a long time. Each episode would've just been another mystery in the book that Dipper encounters. Kind of like X-Files.

And Samurai Jack was very episodic, all the episode were Jack in adventures where people needed his help. Very rarely did it deal with him and Aku. There WAS an endgame, but you could literally click on any random episode and start watching and be "caught up" on the story.
>>
>>77654273
The one thing about it is that Gravity Falls is a series that has had an ongoing plot since the first episode that is taking place in the span of three months. It can only go on for so long before the idea of it taking place in one summer becomes less and less believable. Especially since they just mentioned a couple episodes ago that their summer is a week or so from ending.

Shows like Phineas and Ferb or Ed, Edd n' Eddy were able to get away with having an endless summer because those were strictly gag comedy shows and didn't have an ongoing narrative. With Gravity Falls, it's different. There is literally nowhere left for the story to go once they defeat Bill.

Xiaolin Showdown is an example of a series that had some executive meddling during its final season and had ended before its story was able to be finished. (The final episode had some hints for a fourth season that never happened.) Wanting a continuation to that series was more justified because there were still stories left to be told. The fact that we ended up getting Chronicles which A. didn't do anything to continue the story of the original and B. was shit is another matter. And Chronicles likely ruined any chance there was of a proper continuation of the original story ever happening which can be some heavy damage depending on your outlook of it.
>>
>>77653991
this show actually has a plot. they got the plot wrapped up in 2 seasons. it wouldnt make sense to make any more
now at one point it was said to be '2 seasons and a movie'. THAT could work. but more than 2 seasons absolutely could not work

now that isnt to say that this exact team couldnt make another show with lots of similarities, i guarantee that would get greenlit if someone pitched one, but i think alex is tired and matt chapman is working on other stuff
>>
>>77654656
What pisses me off is when we get something like samurai jack or one piece where it's got a goal in mind but then after a while you get total blue balls, then the story makes it clear the goal will NEVER be reached and 'it's the journey not the destination'
fuck you, it is absolutely the destination. especially for poor jack. how can anyone tolerate leaving things as they are for him? his every minute outside of his own time is suffering, and the entirety of this future needs to be undone once he gets back, so what's the point of any of it?
>>
File: A Mystery.png (840 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
A Mystery.png
840 KB, 1280x720
>>77653991
>>77654656
Read this:

http://shmalexsmirsch.tumblr.com/

Y'all should be glad that for once, a series is ending when it wants to.
>>
>http://shmalexsmirsch.tumblr.com/
>shmale
>she-male
Alex Hirsch confirmed for a trans
>>
>>77655714
It's a reference to Shmipper and Shmabel.
>>
>>77655427
Well, for Jack it was unfortunate design. He had one-step goal that will end the story, he couldn't even have a proper journey because there's no way he could gradually, potentially stretched out advance.
>>
>>77655633
Yeah, but it's taken over three years to finish its two seasons, however. It's like eating a dish of spaghetti one noodle at a time and then, when you reach the last one, realizing it was actually little more than a cupful all along.
>>
>>77654452
>Samurai Jack
>not episodic
>not a format where you can watch any order and continue forever
Why do people lie to themselves so much about this show?
>>
>>77653991
You do realize that some series are meant to have predetermined ending since the moment they start? Even more so - the best animated series are ones which knew what they wanted to do from the start, and weren't to meant to last longer than 1-2 seasons. Case in point - Oban, SBT, GI Joe Renegades etc.
>>
The ending seems garbled and it could be more imaginative, lots of threads seem aborted. But we certainly have a great ride.
>>
>>77655939
We're yet to see the ending, which is supposed to be hour long. Yes, it could have been longer, but at least it's not American Dragon Jake's Schlong ending
>>
>>77655633
That's fine, but some people are commending Hirsch for "fighting the system" and "keeping his integrity" (Some actual comments on CartoonBrew) because he wanted to end his show. But think about it, there haven't been THAT many arc-based cartoons that have been dragged out, they were all episodic comedies, so it's hard to make that comparison of "Good for you for ending it at its prime!". If anything, series with stories get cancelled prematurely. We should be patting Hirsch on the back for being able to finish his story in the first place rather than for his decision to stop.
>>
For a show about mysteries, it didn't handle mysteries very well.
>>
>>77656051
Story-oriented TV generally still goes on as long as it can. No need to shrink your perspective into cartoons alone.
>>
>>77656085
Live action also gets way more chances than animation and better ratings, it's sometimes hard to compare the two industries. Animation only has a couple of networks you can pitch your show to, and 90% of them are kid-oriented. There are hundreds of studios you can approach for for your live-action show.

But if we are going to compare it, look at Breaking Bad. The creator anticipated that every season would be the last and planned for each season to be self-contained, so as to be versatile. He is able to tell Walt's story and leave it somewhat open-ended, but it COULD have "ended there" during any finale and it would have been okay, too. Versatile stories are really hard to come by and I think are usually the best approach if you're going to pitch a series, so you can be prepared for anything. But things don't need to have a definitive endgame to be considered great, you can, as a storyteller and showrunner, work with the best of both worlds.

Or another show, like Monk, whose endgame was his resolution with his wife, Trudy. But it took eight seasons to get there and it never lost its creative spark in that time, despite being mostly episodic.

I think I'm just rambling at this point? I don't really think my comment is directed to you anymore, just thinking about storytelling "tactics" out loud. I guess the thing is, if Hirsch wanted to continue his series for longer, he could have. If he wanted to end it at season one, he could have. But he chose two seasons, so that's fine, too. I don't think his decision to do so makes him the next Bill Watterson like some animation fans (Not really on /co/) are saying.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.