[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When can we have lead characters in cartoons that are assholes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: garfield.gif (285 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
garfield.gif
285 KB, 500x350
When can we have lead characters in cartoons that are assholes again? Cartoons are just so flooded with loveable idiot sweetheart MCs right now.

>you are now realizing for a modern Garfield based cartoon to be successful, Nermal would have to be the lead character
>>
>>77642241
Regular Show? Also, Nermal was an asshole too.
>>
File: bojack_horseman2.jpg (216 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
bojack_horseman2.jpg
216 KB, 620x412
>>
>>77642241

Their was/is a modern Garfield cartoon
>>
>>77642241
Was the Garfield cartoon successful? I remember finding it boring as a child/teen. I can't remember how long ago it was.
>>
File: SUUUURE.jpg (9 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
SUUUURE.jpg
9 KB, 192x192
>>77642241
You are talking like "there was a time where at least a third of the leads and MCs were assholes", which never existed

Which means that you are a fag.

There are plenty of cartoons with assholes as the lead today, more than the past years.
>>
>>77642365
aren't those mostly adult cartoons?
>>
>>77642241
The thing with having the protagonist be a total asshole is that it makes it really hard to believe that all of their buddies will actually hang out with them for the duration of the show instead of realizing wow you're a fucking dick and not being friends with them anymore.

It's hard to pull that off in a way where the cast doesn't seem to be together just because they have to for the show to work.
>>
>>77642241
not only that but they'd celebrate nermal as a tranny

but hey at least we're no longer in the era where the buddy bears were a danger of being the main characters
>>
File: ttgos.png (310 KB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
ttgos.png
310 KB, 720x406
>>77642241
Teen Titans Go is exactly that, but you nostalgia goggle wearing mother fuckers complain about that.
>>
Well, it's over now, but Looney Tunes Show's Daffy was an asshole and seemed to get more screentime than anyone else.
>>
>>77642241
>you are now realizing for a modern Garfield based cartoon to be successful, Nermal would have to be the lead character

No, Odie would have to be the main character since he is the one that fits the loveable idiot sweetheart description. Nermal was just a hypocrite.
>>
>>77642619
nermal could pass pretty easily for a girl. in fact, looking back on it considering G&F was one of the earliest cartoons i can remember, nermal was probably my first trap
>>
>>77642361
It was.
>>
>>77642775
I don't think being disappointed about getting "Teen Titans LOLRANDUMB edition" instead of further seasons of what was a pretty awesome cartoon, is anywhere close to being "nostalgia goggles".
>>
>>77642539
Still cartoons, and there are a lot of them, but I wasnt even talking about them.
>>
File: GumballS2.png (21 KB, 228x245) Image search: [Google]
GumballS2.png
21 KB, 228x245
This guy changed so much over the years.
>>
>>77642775
Raven, Beast Boy, and Cyborg are assholes. Robin's a stupid nerd and Starfire's a lovable idiot.

I guess 3/5ths is pretty good.
>>
>>77643169
You'd think that fans of an alternate take on a comic book team that was drastically different from the original wouldn't mind another show that is an alternate take on that team
>>
>>77643203
Depending on the episode Robin can be an asshole
>>
I remember Garfield saying people should be drug out into the street and shot. Those were the days...
>>
>>77642241

Rick and Morty is the one of the most popular cartoons right now and one of the lead characters is a psychopathic asshole.
>>
>>77643264
TTG is a joke. TT was a lighthearted take on it's source material.
>>
File: hitler reads garfield.jpg (54 KB, 590x400) Image search: [Google]
hitler reads garfield.jpg
54 KB, 590x400
>>77642361

Garfield and Friends yes, it was the funnier one.

The Garfield Show was meh.

I want another Friends mostly because US Acres was the shit man.
>>
Gazorninplat
>>
Garfield and Friends was good
>>
I'd say it's rare for a main character to NOT have asshole-ish traits, although them being an outright dick whilst not being a villain is even rarer.

Characters like Bart, Bloo, The Ed's, Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Omi, Rick, Timmy Turner and Jimmy Neutron were all pieces of shit, but they were never outright evil.
>>
>>77642998
the unfamiliar name didnt help
jim davis is just majorly fond of bizarre names isnt he? arbuckle, odie, lyman...
>>
>>77643264
teen titans animated series was already pushing the boundaries of taste REALLY hard. we had to shut off part of our brains to enjoy it. we will be pushed NO FURTHER
>>
>>77643203
Robin is the biggest asshole of them all. He's an awful person in this show.
>>
>>77645321
SPLUT!
>>
File: Dan_MM.png (663 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Dan_MM.png
663 KB, 1600x900
>>77642241
We have plenty of them. You just don't watch tv anymore and I wish idiots like you wouldn't make threads like this if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Fuck off and don't come back until you actually watch some goddamn cartoons.
>>
>>77643264
Teen Titan comics are hot garbage that was only bearable if you were a child
The Anime-ish show was similar, but had more focus into and better action and way better waifus
TTG Isn't even related except in name
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.