[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there so many modern Western cartoons that are influenced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 16
File: 1447188704939.jpg (36 KB, 432x418) Image search: [Google]
1447188704939.jpg
36 KB, 432x418
Why are there so many modern Western cartoons that are influenced by anime or have anime references in them? Anime isn't very popular in the West these days and the fans of those type of cartoons don't seem to care much about anime.
>>
A ton of the people who are in animation now grew up loving anime. They still love anime.

>fans of those type of cartoons don't seem to care much about anime
I see plenty of people who enjoy references to anime. Are you talking about children? Of course they don't get it. They don't have much exposure to anime.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 156x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 156x220
>>77607673
That is some Ramos Sniktman level of necks here.
>>
>>77607721
That's a beautiful picture of Mount Sniktbub, anon. Did you take it yourself?
>>
>>77607710
I don't see the average Steven Universe fan being that very interested in anime. The majority of them miss most of the references if it's not extremely obvious.
>>
Oh come now. Anime has been popular for cartoons and comics to take influence from since at least when Frank Miller bought the manga collection he couldn't read into the DC and Marvel offices.

It's just now with the internet co things are able to dig deeper into references and expect people to know them rather than be befuddled.
>>
>>77607673
>Anime isn't very popular in the West these days
What the fuck? I'm not sure what western country you're from but anime popularity has spiked in the USA.
>>
File: image.png (740 KB, 1011x646) Image search: [Google]
image.png
740 KB, 1011x646
>>77607778
I was there over the summer.
>>
>>77607673
Anime is as popular as it's ever been, it just has a shitty reputation thanks in no small part to the rabid fandom.
>>
>>77608051

Right NOW? it's on decline. Two or three big hits a year, but none of the 'culture defining' levels of impact of the 00's. The anime boom was last decade, now it's niche is more solidly defined.
>>
>>77608183
majestic
>>
>>77608350
Attack on Titan was and still is gigantic in the west. I've never learned about as many people watching anime than through it.
>>
>>77608350
But most of the people making cartoons today were born around 30 years ago.
>>
>>77608350
Have you been outside lately? Every store that can have weeb shit in it has at least 3x as much as they would have a couple years ago. The manga sections at my Barnes and Noble have been increased to at least 4 separate shelves where they used to be half a shelf, Hot Topic has entire walls filled with anime clothes, rivaling the size of their music clothes, local movie stores have selections of not only full anime box sets but wall scrolls and scaled figures, etc, etc. Anime is bigger now than it's ever been, at least where I live. Shows like Attack on Titan, Space Dandy, and Free!, whether you like them or not, are definitely culturally defining, and those are only from the past 2-3 years.
>>
>>77609185
A bunch of die hard comic fans keep trying to pretend that anime was just a phase while having the gross of their comic industry rehashing the same heroes over and over again for almost a century. Anime and manga is here because executives failed to see that cartoons are not just for kids and that comic industry keep playing safe and making same her over again but now he is black/gay/woman/etc instead of exploring new genres and themes suppressing the ones who did explored new themes and genres.
>>
>>77609302
this

manga industry is inherently more creative while the comic industry just does shit like publishing spiderman rehash #259 where everyone is an amnesiac zombie and spiderman is black
>>
File: USanime_market.jpg (22 KB, 347x447) Image search: [Google]
USanime_market.jpg
22 KB, 347x447
>>77608958
>>77609185
>>77607673
hmmm?

Anime/manga market has definitely taken a hit compared to the hey day in the early and mid-aughties.
I'm definitely seeing way less stuff. Stores like Borders and Suncoasts closing down hit manga and anime producers hard. Pioneer, ToykoPop, and Bandai hugely devastated, nevermind the smaller companies like CPM or Manga Entertainment. The companies that took their place are a pale comparison with what they're actually releasing.
Going to comic conventions like SDCC, I've definitely seen way fewer booths selling that anime/manga stuff. There's also way fewer people attending the anime/manga panels that used to be hard to get into. Even the rooms where they used to run anime are pathetically empty, when before they used to be full of squealing little girls.

The fact that you think it's somehow popular as before or even more popular makes me believe you were just a little kid in the 00s and weren't allowed out of your mom's sight when going outside to malls, and are only now checking out the pockets of fans left.
>>
>>77610401
Can I have a source for your chart? Also, piracy is is a major factor in the decline of some of these numbers. Maybe these numbers are declining because kids are exposed to less anime shows on TV nowadays than in the past. Maybe its because of how much easier it is for older fans to just go to a site like nyaa or crunchyroll and download whatever show or manga you want without having to purchase anything. Not to mention how expensive anime BDs are these days. It's hard to draw any real conclusions from these numbers other than that people are simply buying less anime merchandise.

Music sales are also decreasing but I don't think that means less people are interested in music these days.
>>
>>77610401
>dvd
you fucking retard jesus christ

everyone in the US streams it, who the fuck would buy DVDs

thats like saying Breaking Bad isn't one of the most watched TV shows of the past decade because people didn't buy Heisenberg's Hat
>>
>>77607869
Yes, but we already concluded that the creator of SU is a fucking weeaboo gay-loving cunt.
>>
>>77610401
>That chart
More people are either turning to piracy or legal streaming, and the people who actually buy DVD's are either buying the Japanese releases or are buying things second hand because it's cheaper. I know a fuck ton of people who watch anime but only own one or two DVDs because it's either too expensive or they just pirate or stream.

>Stores like Borders and Suncoasts closing down hit manga and anime producers hard.

No, it hit licensing companies hard, if anything. Even so, there are a lot of companies licensing more shit than ever before (Funi, Crunchyroll, VIZ, Sentai, etc.) The west has a pretty minimal impact on the sales that matter, the people profiting the most from licensed anime and manga aren't the production studios, and people are learning that the best way to support a series is to buy the overpriced as fuck Japanese sets.
>>
>>77610478
the chart is just some random thing i picked up from google images, which is why I'm only talking about the stuff I've seen and how many companies have disappeared with few ones taking their place with and not releasing as much product.

Yes, piracy is very prevalent, but again, I've seen the culture in geek congregations decline heavily. Conventions that are aimed specifically at weeaboos are growing bigger than ever, but it really doesn't correlate with what's actually being sold. Again, there's a huge decline in vendors carrying stuff that's resistant to piracy or is actually bootleg like tshirts, toys, etc. Whereas the growth in superheroes and popularity in them, if not necessarily comics, has tshirts, toys, etc being sold in every corner of every convention i go to, even the weeb ones.

So unless the new generation of weeaboos are complete poorfags who only read manga and watch anime online, there is a serious decline in its popularity.
It used to be that i could buy Gunpla in places like WalMart and TRU. I could buy anime toys in highly visible stores like Borders, Gamestop, and Suncoast. Now? Niche shops and online only. Online still hasn't replaced physical stores yet, so I doubt places that /toy/ import their Figuarts from make up the difference with the loss of physical stores.

pic a quick and dirty i did using another random chart
>>
File: 1448022962966.jpg (38 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1448022962966.jpg
38 KB, 400x400
>age of the internet
>and Netflix
>surprised when the Occident and Orient influence each other in entertainment media
Unless you can actually find a way to quantify how much anime influence is injected into all of animation you can just chalk it up to the creators having seen anime as kids or being huge weebs.

It's rare to find someone really passionate about animation who has never seen at least one anime. Even if the general public doesn't care, wouldn't the chances of finding someone into anime be higher in an industry centered on animation?
>>
>>77607710
It's relative how popular it is. I'd say it's at least still pretty popular.
And because exotism and foreign styles have always been an inspiration for artists, it isn't particularly limited to how the west inspires itself from anime.
>>
>>77610696
>So unless the new generation of weeaboos are complete poorfags who only read manga and watch anime online, there is a serious decline in its popularity.
You're missing the point. It's that EVERYTHING is available online for FREE and the only reason to even buy things is if you're already a hardcore fan because everything is so expensive now thanks to Japan's shit economy.

>Gunpla
Irrelevant because none of the younger generation gives a fuck about Gunpla. It's all about that Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul now m8, and I see shit for that anywhere that sells anything relevant to nerd shit.

>Whereas the growth in superheroes and popularity in them, if not necessarily comics, has tshirts, toys, etc being sold in every corner of every convention i go to, even the weeb ones.
Capeshit is pretty normal now, but our weeb cons are probably a lot different than the ones where I live, because I rarely see capeshit at anime cons. My local cons are also very strict on bootlegs, so I don't see a lot of those either. But the only comic convention I go to has Funimation as a regular booth.

>Using /toy/ to measure the anime market
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>77609302

Fucking this. Finally someone on /co/ makes sense.
>>
>>77609302
Reminder that anime are extremely rarely aimed at adults.
>>
>>77610696
Are you seriously gauging the anime market with the collapse of the 00's bubble?
>>
>>77610478
Western comics sales are increasing though. And isn't crunchyroll a paying service a la Netflix?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 290x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 290x281
>>77610401
Let's see how the sales of other DVDs are going them. Oh look all DVDs are selling less! Nobody buys DVDs anymore.
>>
>>77607673
>Anime isn't very popular in the West these days and the fans of those type of cartoons don't seem to care much about anime.
This is exactly what enables western animators to mine it for ideas and repackage them for an unfamiliar audience. Then they put in little specific references and it becomes an *homage*.
>>
>>77610825
Crunchyroll is free. They have a premium where you pay to get rid of ads but it doesn't matter if you have adblocker.
>>
>>77607673
Anime is just animation from a country that adores its animation. Its not surprising that people who are interested in the art of animation, would take something away from the biggest animation capital in the world.
>>
>>77610846
I'd say that's still the US though. And no, I'm not a burger.
I mean Frozen is the highest grossing animated feature ever in Japan, and fucking everybody knows Disney movies, Looney Tunes shorts and the Simpsons.
>>
>>77610865
Everyone knows them, but everyone knows Pokemon and Digimon and Nayrooto.

Plus Looney Tunes is currently dead, The Simpsons is dead. All thats left is Disney, but that doesnt compare to the massive industry that is Anime.
>>
>>77610401
>DVD sales as an indication of popularity of anime in the West
u wot m8
going by this logic maybe 10K people in my country watched any anime in their lives ever
>>
>>77610401
You do realise most people stream anime right? Some of the biggest animes out right now dont even have a western dub, let alone a dvd
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 300x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 300x437
>>77610809
Still they produce way more stuff that are not supposed to be watched by kids than America.

But manga probably should be the best term as they have even magazines targeted toward middle aged people.
>>
>>77610865
The big feature film cgi movies belong to California, but when it comes to the number of animated tv series that come out every year, the volume doesn't even compare. /co/'s lucky to get maybe 2-3 new series that piques its interest each year.
>>
>>77610887
/co/ not liking modern Simpsons doesn't make them dead anon.

And shit I'm pretty sure Disney alone makes more money than the anime industry, so you bet it compares.

The recognition isn't comparable either nobody over 35 knows anything about naruto besides people who work with children, but you better believe that even your grandma has seen the lion king.
>>
File: card captors.jpg (154 KB, 632x596) Image search: [Google]
card captors.jpg
154 KB, 632x596
>>77610787
>It's relative how popular it is. I'd say it's at least still pretty popular.
Oh, i agree, but it's definitely not as popular as it used to be.
I really do miss that and I actually loved how we saw producers in Japan catering to western tastes back in the mid-00s.
And that's another thing that does show how its popularity has waned in the west.

>>77610794
It's you who's missing the point, in that I've actually seen a decline in the visible popularity at major conventions over the past 8 years or so.
YOU have no way to gauge it, unless you really believe that the new generation of weeaboos are poorfags who hate going out and hate material goods.

>Irrelevant because none of the younger generation gives a fuck about Gunpla.
wut.
Gunpla wasn't relevant either until Gundam Wing. So where's the Attack on Titan product being sold in stores? There are no crazy amount of kids clamoring to buy that stuff. There is no equivalent for that today. There's no fast food restaurants selling kids meals with the newest anime fad today.
There was a GIANT amount of kids wanting anime shit in the early 00s and mid-00s. This matters, because it shows it's popular with more than just geeks. It was MAINSTREAM, and that isn't what manga/anime is anymore.

IT's been given back to the nerds and geeks who knows where to get bootlegs and pirated material just like I was doing in the 80s and 90s (yes, I'm fucking old).

>thinking i was using /toy/ to measure anything
All I said is that there's no way any of the online stores makes up the difference of what was being sold in the thousands of physical stores. There was more to the anime/manga market than just dvds/vhs/books

>>77610814
are you seriously thinking the images I've used have even a tenth to do with the posts I've written?
tl;dr: ur dumb
>>
>>77610901
Idk man, the US produce plenty of cartoons aimed at adults, and they're way more successful than anything Japan ever produced (the Simpsons, south park, family guy). Of course they're 99% comedy but the point still stands.

Manga and anime are different industries, yeah.
>>
>>77610994
Why not do some research instead of just saying "Gee, I bet disney animated films makes more than the entire anime industry"
Moron.
>>
>>77611051
Simpsons is aimed at everyone, specially teenagers/young adults.

South Park is aimed for teenager/young adults, back them they were popular among pre-teen too, not sure now.

Family guy is also aimed at teenagers/young adults.

None of them are specifically targeted at 50 years old people.
>>
>>77611115
Did you actually do some research or are you also assuming?
Show your work, faglet.

My research says anime world market is worth about 100 billion. That's a lot less than Disney.
>>
>>77611147
Neither are any anime you weeb.
And yes, they are targeted at adults, even if not exclusively. You finding them immature doesn't change the fact that the majority of the audience are adults. South park audience median age is 25.
>>
>>77611194
Dude, you know how Shonen Jump have as target audience young boys? This magazine here >>77610901 have as target audience 50 years old men and it is not the only one.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 511x288
>>77611151
Disney as a company yes, Disney is way more than just cartoon movies.

But their animated movies don't get even close.
>>
File: 1432967148404.jpg (24 KB, 226x226) Image search: [Google]
1432967148404.jpg
24 KB, 226x226
>>77607721
>>77607778
>>77608183
>>77608355

MAJOR KEKS
>>
>>77611212
Manga =/= anime. Call me when there's a TV show made by Jirou Taniguchi.
Comics have plenty of material targeting adult readers as well, but it's not the same media.
>>
>>77611226
Damn, theme parks make a lot of money.
>>
>>77611226
Their media networks also feature animation, I don't see why they shouldn't count. And their entire theme park venture is based on their cartoons being immensely popular.
>>
>>77611284
So you would have to count the TV channels that airs anime and the cosplay, animecons, etc as well. Disney movies are basically advertisers to their parks.
>>
>>77611254
Orochuban Ebichu is an anime with adults as target audience. There are others like Astro Fighter Sunred but Ebichu is more blatant.

>Most episodes follow Ebichu, a talking hamster devoted to her oft-indifferent owner, who is only identified as OL ("Office Lady"), a single 28-year-old who doles out cynical commentary and the occasional beating on the rodent. Ebichu tends to take this in stride with endless praise and compliments. Such abuse is usually caused by Ebichu's almost disturbing lack of tact or propriety, which often embarrasses her master in front of other people. Ebichu often attempts to correct OL's bad decisions, such as her berating of OL's obnoxious and untrustworthy boyfriend that Ebichu nicknamed Kaishounachi (worthless man).
>>
>>77611570
>cute talking animal
>slapstick
I guess.
>>
File: 1440307628883.png (307 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1440307628883.png
307 KB, 403x403
>>77610401
>DVD sales are down in a time when online streaming and pirating are at all-time highs
>>
>>77611758
It addresses adult every day issues with adult characters. Also the cute animal is used for the shock humor as it is brutally beaten for doing things like breaking the mood in the middle of sex.

Some scenes
Sort of sfw
http://youtu.be/wSpetrANsFo
http://youtu.be/k6Nf-5fpR0U

nsfw
http://youtu.be/2wSJJS0br50
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 443x332
>>77611829
The cute talking animal.
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (27 KB, 866x507) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
27 KB, 866x507
>>77607673
Really?
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=manga%2Canime
Interest in manga and anime is at about the same level as it was during the anime boom in early 2000's.
(Technically it's slightly higher but that's probably due to more people using google and internet).
>>
>>77607673
What?
Anime is more popular than ever.
>>
File: 1441979034579.png (200 KB, 382x350) Image search: [Google]
1441979034579.png
200 KB, 382x350
>>
>>77607673
He says he posts on a weeb website.
>>
File: 1442785897515.gif (628 KB, 363x290) Image search: [Google]
1442785897515.gif
628 KB, 363x290
>>77607673
>I don't like / watch something
>it's not popular
There's a word for this, I keep wanting to say it's solipsism but I don't think it is
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.