[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only person who thought this movie was boring?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 11181512_ori.jpg (228 KB, 800x1157) Image search: [Google]
11181512_ori.jpg
228 KB, 800x1157
Am I the only person who thought this movie was boring?
>>
Let's hope so.
>>
I thought it was "serene," not boring.
>>
>>77602867

I can respect that. I really liked the atmosphere and the story itself. It's pure eye candy as well.
>>
Smooth animation can't make me forgive the Johnny Test tier character designs.

Just because it flows well doesn't mean that it's impressive.
>>
>>77603282
This is why I can't get into Secret of Kells. The scenery is nice to look at but I can't recall a single character that didn't displease my vision. I probably sound pleb as hell but I just can't get over this style of character design because it just registers as "Butch Hartman doing his best impression of Genndy Tartakovsky" to me.
>>
>>77603379
Dude, the character designs in the movie don't even remotely resemble Butch Hartman's character design.
>>
>>77602706
We're probably in the minority, but I agree. I thought it was inferior to Secret of Kells in every way, aside from the visuals.
>>
>>77604205
To elaborate...
None of the characters in SotS were particularly fun, the boy was mean, the dad was depressed, the grandma was a jerk, the girl was just sort of neutral and went along with whatever was happening. SoK had Brother Aiden to lighten the mood.

In SotS, the plot is a bunch of stuff that happens to the kids as they follow a magical trail home. It felt like the main priority was to cram as much Irish folklore into the runtime as possible. No matter how many times they told the story of the petrified giant, they never got me to care about him. In SoK, everything that the characters did was deliberate and motivated by the Book (finish it, protect it, collect berries for it, etc).

And while overall I think the visuals were a step up in SotS, there was one part that really fell flat for me; the Owl Witch. She reminded me so much of Yubaba from Spirited Away, but without Studio Ghibli's godlike animation, which really killed all her scenes for me and made that part of the movie feel like a cheap knock-off.

To be fair the Kim Possible-esque character designs did initially put me off in SoK. I got over them pretty quick though and eventually grew to like them a lot, especially the Abbot and Aisling.

Anyway as you can see I didn't much care for SotS, I thought SoK was friggin great, 10/10, so i was expecting to love SotS too but was pretty let down.
>>
>>77604456
Final note, SoK made me feel like life is worth living and art is worth making, which was great. SotS made me feel like real life sucks and the Fairy World is probably a lot better, which was lame.
>>
>>77603282

But in Johnny Test the characters are downright ugly. At least the characters in SotS were cute.
>>
>>77602706
I personally though Secret of Kells was completely boring but loved Song of the Sea because it was actually entertaining.
>>
>>77602706
I didn't like how it really only teased the folklore aspects. Felt more like a tour, rather than a journey.
>>
The thing I didn't get about this movie is why couldn't the mom sung the song years ago? Why did it have to be Saorise?
>>
>>77604895
I thought she passed on the ability like in most movies like this.
>>
>>77604936
I mean, before she was even pregnant with Saorise or even Ben? Hell, even before she met Conor. She could have done it at any time, unless it HAD to be Saorise. But no one ever said it HAD to be Saorise, just a selkie. =/
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.