[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Write Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 9
File: 1427582336113.png (514 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
1427582336113.png
514 KB, 630x630
>Dip a toe, test the waters, what're you writing?
>What're you reading?
>What inspires you?
>Who inspires you?
>How are you balancing writing with everything else in your life?
>Would your folks be proud of you if they read what you're writing?

And for something a little different, and a little productive
>Write down a topic/idea
>Write a short (few paragraphs) story about the topic posted below your post.
>>
>>77594617

>what're you writing?

kids show about authoritarianism

>what're you reading?

Farewell to the Working Class by Andre Gorz

>What inspires you?

lots of stuff. I'm a cinemaphile, so a lot of my ideas come from movies I watch.

>who inspires you?

not sure.

Well, I have school to focus on, but my major right now is History, so a lot of my studying in that area actually spills into my writing.

I don't know. I think my parents would just be proud if I'm actually proud of something I did.
>>
>what're you writing?
A comic about an alcoholic teenager.

>What're you reading?
Waiting for Godot.

>What inspires you?
Movies, TV shows, other comics, books, et cetera.

>Who inspires you?
My friends, family and people I meet.

I'd say I'm balancing things well, it blends well with my English course at Uni.

Probably not.
>>
>>77594617
I don't know what I'm writing.

I'm reading Neil Gaiman' American Gods and Stardust
Fuck yeah Neil Gaiman

What and who inspires me is myself and my favorite authors.

I save a few hours a day for writing.

My dad wants me to take over the family business...

I'll do the next part when I get on my PC
>>
>>77596886
What's the family business?
>>
>>77596911

liquor store
>>
>>77596911
Ice Cream
>>
At work bump
>>
I'm writing a story I call The Paladin of Plymouth. The first in a series tentatively called Plague World Chronicles.

What am I reading? Sadly not much aside from these threads.

I'm mostly inspired by other media, primarily the interactive kind, and the people I know. Also the weird shit I dream about.
And you guys inspire me, too.
I'm sadly not balancing my writing well with the rest of my life. It sucks having bills to pay.
I like to think my family would be proud of me, but then I've always had a doting mom.
>>
>>77599589

My family has always felt I was very good at writing, more than I have felt I myself am
>>
finally got home BUMP
>>
>>77594617
These questions are shit.
>>
>>77603555
ask some new ones
>>
>>77594617
>>Dip a toe, test the waters, what're you writing?
a little story about the living embodiments of the universe, the galaxy, sun, earth and moon trying to protect the planet against alternate universe hyperpowered villains
actually i have no idea what it is about, thats just an idea

>>What're you reading?
shadow over innsmouth. but stoped becasue a friend borrowed my book
does manga count? if yes boku wa mari no naka

>>What inspires you?
the base ideas come out of nowhere, characters and stuff from other things i have seen or like, sometimes they are also based on friends

>>Who inspires you?
amm, not sure
myself?

>>How are you balancing writing with everything else in your life?
got a weekly quota
but i try to write only on my free time

>>Would your folks be proud of you if they read what you're writing?
of this one, nah
maybe mom will fake she is proud that i finally made something or finished
of the other ones, hell no, i ever post them somewhere no one related to my is going to find that stuff
>>
>>77596886
I got a slice of pizza in one hand a beer in the other and my cat trying to eat feet, lets do this.

>Idea
A little witch with glowing golden brown hair was tricked into a bad deal one night long ago and cursed the man who tricked her. That he and his son and his son and so on and so forth would have a heart of a rose; each rose would make each person suffer in some way or another. Generations later, Mika the youngest male member of that family; starts his journey into the world hoping to find a way to break the curse.

Anyone got any thoughts?
>>
since the last thread i have kinda worked on trying to make a "good" op since the threads sometimes get interesting after a day or two and wee need something to discuss and not only post our ideas and leave

how does this sound?

""Writefag/Critique General
a new beginning edition

{{pastebin with resources and stories from anons goes here}}

>Things to do:
Post a pastebin containing your story(it doenst matter if its incomplete). imgur link if you are doing some comic.
or just post the first/last paragraph you have
Ask some questions, dont just post and leave, we can help you, and you can help others.
Get beta readers, here if someone is interested they can help you, and you can help.
Enter the monthly challenge(we dont have nay right now, you can give suggestions).
Make some request, maybe someone will pick them up
Shamelessly self promote your fanfic.

Now some questions to get thing started.
>What ya writing? describe your story or just give us a little resume
>Do you plan your plot or write it on the go?
>How much do you have?
>What is your daily/weekly/monthly quota?, are you there yet?
>Who is your MC? and describe him/her/it, both physically and mentally, tell us what you based on to create it
>Who is your main villain?
>What is the setting?
>Any other thing you are writing?
>what is that guilty pleasure you are writing on your story?""
>>
>>77604542

I think this works.
>>
>>77604542
Part 1

The first part of what I'd like to see become a series. It's called the Paladin of Plymouth, and it's about a young technically savvy guy(late teens to mid twenties, not really sure yet) with a robotic arm, a suit of power armor, and a six foot long mutated housecat/lizard/scorpion thing for a pet. It's about his growth after the loss of his home, as he goes on to become a leader of men in the wastelands.
I plan the broad strokes, but the connecting bits are done on the go.
>How much do you have?
The premise and the setting.
I'd like to get the first story, as I see them being short stories, done by the start of the new year.
>Who is your MC? and describe him/her/it, both physically and mentally, tell us what you based on to create it
My main character is Rich Lastnametobedecided. He was just a young boy when the world went to shit because of the plagues. After witnessing the deaths of his parents on their way to a civilian "safe zone" set up within the old Plymouth Plantation, losing his arm, and being rescued by a soldier who'd gone rogue in his power armor, he was raised by that soldier in the plantation. Growing up, he showed a masterful grasp of technology, building his own functioning prosthetic arm out of scrap at the age of twelve. For all of his know-how, he's emotionally stunted and incredibly naive/immature. Socially awkward, bordering on being an autist. But he has a good heart. After the soldier, his surrogate father, died of cancer, he'd taken over his role as protector of the thriving little settlement, being the only one who knew how to use and maintain the power armor.
Based a bit on myself.
>>
>>77605793
Part 2

Overarching? The remnants of the American government who live in a flying flotilla high above the troubles of the plagued Earth.
>What is the setting?
Some time in the near future meteorite crashed in the American southwest. Over the course of a week, the landscape, flora, fauna, and even people within thirty miles of the crashsite had begun to change. Horrific alien mutations, bloodlust, cannibalism: these were the symptoms. The place was scrubbed clean, nuked, but a fragment of the meteorite was recovered. Years later, nonspecific "terrorists" break into the CDC, kill the staff, and steal a bunch of different samples. One such sample being the mutagenic pathogen that hitched a ride on the meteorite. It doesn't take long to spread, and soon ninety percent of the world's population is infected, changed. To combat these beasts, the world's governments tried any means they could. Powered armor, that could make a man into a tank, were deployed as quickly as they could be churned out. These did exceptionally well, but they were limited in number. Finally, when the nuclear option was taken, it was too late. There are few survivors, now, huddled in small settlements, contending with mutated raiders, monster plants, and the irradiated wastelands that were once urban centers. But there are rumors of a great flying city, spread by traders, where the government of the old world still holds court.
A noir comic set in a dystopian post-Rapture world about a half mortal, succubus' son enforcer with amnesia trying to figure out why his employers are trying to kill him.
>what is that guilty pleasure you are writing on your story?
It's basically modified Fallout fanfiction since my interpretation of Massachusetts from before the game came out ended up so radically different. I'm gonna Fifty Shades of Gray this shit.
>>
File: 55658-falcon2.jpg (277 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
55658-falcon2.jpg
277 KB, 1280x720
So I had an idea for another story that I put off for the current one I'm doing. What do you guys think of a fictional book written in the style of a scholarly work? Like, a story that is meant to be fictional, but you read about this fictional world through the "writing" of a scholar living in that world.

Awhile back, I came up with the idea for a space opera where there was a division between core worlds closer to earth and outer systems who are more traditional and looked down upon as primitive. When thinking of a style to write this in, I thought it might be fun to write a series of faux-scholarly works set during a time of intense conflict between these traditional and anti-traditional worlds. Sort of like if you were reading books on a real conflict in the Middle East or something.

But I can't think of many fictional books written in such an anthropological way. The closest I can think of is works like Thomas More's Utopia and "Dinotopia".
>>
>>77605793
Your main character is something out of a light novel.
>>
>>77594617
>Whatcha' writing? Describe your story or just give us a little resume.
A space western about a drifter who gets dragged into a conflict he doesn't want involvement in.

It's sort of like Borderlands meets Mad Max: Fury Road meets WWII meets Monty Python, among other things.

Plan the overarching story and major events, do the rest on the go.

>How much do you have?
A basic idea of what the plot would look like and a list of characters that could appear.

I mostly stop and start working on it as I go.

>What is the setting?
Atlas, a planet that makes Australia look like a petting zoo, about 12 thousand years after an unspecified apocalypse. In the time since, humanity's split into a handful of subspeicies, the most prominent of them being normal humanity, riddares (People with chicken-style leg joints and a culture based on feudal Europe), and datalites (skinnier and more intelligent with a large tech advantage). In more recent times, the current leader of the riddares has been slowing stirring up support for what's basically a genocidal crusade against the other two sub-species. The story starts up about a month or so before said war actually begins, then keeps escalating from there.
>>
>>77608449
>Who is your MC? and describe him/her/it, both physically and mentally, tell us what you based on to create it.
The MC is Netrun, a guy wandering the wastes as he looks for somewhere to make a living for himself. After disposing of a local bandit leader by accident, he ends up being dragged into increasingly dangerous situations, eventually becoming an important part of the previously mentioned war. In spite of this, he's sort of a coward.

The overarching villain is the current emperor/dictator of the riddares, Glave Plachtorist III, and his cronies. The arc villains are mostly members of the riddare army or the leaders of various bandit gangs.

I've been doing some Touhou fanfiction, if that counts towards anything.

I can supply more details on this if any of you guys want me to.
>>
>>77594617
A ripoff of SAO. It concerns itself with the actions of an individual some time in the future, a series of violent reprisals against a group of survivors of a VR experiment gone wrong.
The attacked seek out a young man who garnered himself a reputation in the other world and shit pops off as he goes hunting.
>>What're you reading?
Having read pretty much all the cyberpunk stuff in the world, I've finally gotten around to reading RH and Arthur C Clarke.

Clark is good, really good, but Glory Road was shit and it gave me hope.
>>What inspires you?
Nothing.
>>Who inspires you?
Nobody.
I don't. It's why I've written shit all reallg
Nope. There's incestual subtext and the main character is a bad person.
>>
>>77605793
>Based a bit on myself
That's not good.
>>
>>77604122
You keep ripping off Japanese media and fucking it up.
>>
>>77609342
The question is if it's the veteran amputee part or the akward autist bit that's based on himself.

Most characters will share certain characteristics with their author. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't make it a wish-fulfilling self insert.
>>
This thread is a goldmine for borrowing ideas.
>>
>>77610236
You mean stealing, anon. Just say it how it is.
>>
>>77594617
A screenplay titled: "Dinosaur Motorcycle cops". I'm considering adding ':The 2nd apocalypse: Robotenning' So I can have a character say the title completely seriously as a gag.
>>What're you reading?
Should really finish robert mckee's story, save the cat and the story book. But considering how i went backwards about this whole learning screenwriting thing from novel structure, there's alot of common sense in these books I have to get through for the good stuff.
>>What inspires you?
All sorts of shit, for this particular work, Danger 5, moonbeam city and kung fury. But mainly saturday morning cartoons like Biker mice from mars.
>>Who inspires you?
People who are earning alot of money.
Badly. I'm procrastinating like a motherfucker.
I don't think this particular thing is something they'd be proud of to read. Maybe if they saw it if it ever got produced, which is more unlikely than I am to finish it.
>And for something a little different, and a little productive
>>Write down a topic/idea
You want a writing prompt? Okay when a supervillain successfully defeats all the heroes of the world, he finds the only way of curing his ennui is by doing heroic things.
>>Write a short (few paragraphs) story about the topic posted below your post.
Eh, no. would rather do other stuff. That shit above writes itself. It needs an antagonist other than his ennui though. Which would probably come in the form of either a ressurected hero turned bad, or more evil villain tasked with defeating the protagonist. But that's hollywood for you.
>>
File: Bus_affiche3.jpg (685 KB, 2214x1468) Image search: [Google]
Bus_affiche3.jpg
685 KB, 2214x1468
>>77594617
A cartoon about two children who get abducted by aliens and locked up in a zoo on another planet. After escaping from the zoo they must spend the whole series travelling across the milky way, trying to come back home.
>What're you reading?
Currently nothing but usually I read nonfiction travel stories and my favorite novel is Joseph Conrad's "Heart of darkness". /co/-wise I like mostly franco-belgian comics such as "Alix", "Blake and Mortimer", "Spirou" and all the show.
>What inspires you?
I've spent most of my childhood living in different countries, so language will be a main theme of the cartoon. I want to show children what it is like growing up in a country where you don't understand the language around you. Until the moment you learn to speak it, you feel pretty much like an animal.
The other main theme will be self-reliance. The children begin as complete slobs. The boy is a wimp that dreams of adventures while doing nothing of his days, while his sister is fat and tries to escape reality at all costs. During the hardships they come through accross the series the two characters become gradually more fit and more down to earth.
>Who inspires you?
Probably someone yet I can't know whom.
Badly, I've started writing this during my free time, in a summer internship, and know that I'm back in studies I have less and less time for this. Plus, I have hard time finding new ideas for episodes.
I don't think so if the read it. But I am sure they would be proud if they saw it on TV. I think the children would love this show also, they hate being taken for idiots.

You can read this pastebin if you want to learn more:
>http://pastebin.com/p3vp7Hcv
Don't hesitate giving me tips and ideas or criticizing my work. I want to improve it.
>>
File: Model_Sheet4.jpg (3 MB, 4960x3507) Image search: [Google]
Model_Sheet4.jpg
3 MB, 4960x3507
>>77611946
PS: My drawing skills are pretty bad for the moment.
>>
>>77609324
I'm probably going to regret this but what do you mean by incestual subtext?

Or that the main character is a bad person.
>>
>>77609652
Read the character description.
>>
>>77613287
I did. So?
>>
>>77609652
It's far from wish fulfillment. It's pure laziness. It's just easier to get into the character's head this way.
>>
>>77613509
I never said it was. Your fault for being offended by stuff you assumed.
>>
>>77613590
I wasn't offended. I'm not >>77613287
You said "as long as it's not wish fulfillment" and I was assuring you it isn't.
>>
>>77613638
Sorry, my fault. Was too lazy to check the tag/ quote number.
>>
File: Enfer7.jpg (904 KB, 2105x829) Image search: [Google]
Enfer7.jpg
904 KB, 2105x829
>>77604542
Frenchfag again, I'll answer your questions.

Two children abducted in space must find the way back to Earth and home. You can read more here >>77611946
I started by planing everything with lots of doodles, sketches, roughs and first drafts, Now that i have a clearer idea I write more or less on the go, and that's when I write.
>How much do you have?
In English, all that you can read in this pastebin http://pastebin.com/p3vp7Hcv
In French I have character sheets, synopsis, episodes scenarios (20 for the moment), and the script of the first episode.
Formerly one or two new things a week. now almost nothing since I'm back in studies.
I don't understand well the second question.
For the boy MC, his qualities are how I used to see myself (when I was child), and his flaws are how others used to see me. For the girl MC apply the same formula to my sister.
For the moment, none. Just some enemies, opponents, obstacles and life itself.
>What is the setting?
Space, Earth and planets I invented (yet I try to stay more or less faithful to real maps of the Milky Way).
"Highway 0". A short movie scenario about a guy who find a highway leading to the afterlife, looking for a shortcut. When he try to go back he realize he died in a car crash and is therefore stucked here.
>>
>>77613695
It's all good. I would assume writers on an anonymous board might get all offended at anything that seems like criticism.
>>
>>77613768
Oh no please, criticize all you want. That's the only way to fix flaws
>>
>>77599589
>I'm mostly inspired by other media, primarily the interactive kind
just say videogames
>>
>>77613278
I'm just going to get this out of the way and compare everything to SAO.

The MC was one of ten thousand individuals who were trapped in a virtual reality program. Like SAO if you died there you died in real life and like SAO there was a small subsect of individuals who went batshit crazy and started killing people for shits and giggles.

The MC was a kid with a scholarship to any school he could want to go to. When he was trapped he went a bit crazy. He belonged to one such group and was one of their more dangerous members. When he got out his family used their influence and cash to keep him out of prison.

He's not a killer anymore but he's not a good person either. By the time of the story's start he's clashed with other survivors a couple of times, some former allies he gave up to the police and killed more people outside of the other world either in self defense or in pre-emptive self defense.

He's really the most evil main character I've ever written. He doesn't want to kill people anymore but he doesn't necessarily feel any guilt over any of it.

The incest comes from the fact that there is a very good chance he was fucking his half sister in the game.
>>
>>77596875
Vague as all hell.
>>
>>77614388
But that sounds pleb as hell
>>
>>77615196
As do most of these ideas.
>>
>>77615304
Which one is the least pleb according to you?
>>
>>77615699
Not my own idea that's for sure.
>>
File: 1443797354367.png (483 KB, 678x440) Image search: [Google]
1443797354367.png
483 KB, 678x440
>tfw you're doing NaNo and there's no way you'll catch up in time
>>
>>77616469
NaNo is a retarded concept as it is. November leading into December is when finals and midterms usually happen alongside being the busiest time of the year.
>>
Bumping to keep the thread alive.
>>
>>77594617

Trying to write a porn comic. No idea if this exact thing has been done before. It probably has.

>Fatal Sin

>Western/Action/Comedy/Pornographic

>1892, London. A young homeless woman is convinced to accept a plot of land in America from a well dressed man in exchange for simply going into an uncovered old temple and picking up an object for him. Her hopes of a new start are tarnished when she finds america nothing like what the man sold to her. The young woman reluctantly is convinced to go into sex work to earn money where she finds that when she brings someone to climax their head explodes.
>>
>>77619309
You have anything else written down about this? I honestly wouldn't mind hearing it.
>>

A Visual Novel which has been on the back burner since the summer holidays

>What're you reading?

I can't read.

>What inspires you?

Other visual novels, mainly in a 'don't do that shit' way. Also my time in a roleplay club since that's what the VN is about.

>Who inspires you?

You.

I'm not, hence the fact I haven't written a single word since university and my job started.

My mum has always been supportive on writing but I doubt she'd understand why I'm writing about what I am and not something better. I'm not a romance kinda person in day to day life.
>>
>>77619309
Congratulation, you learned how to keep your reader's attention.
These threads are a joke, honestly I do not understand why they're not dead already
>>

Not currently writing it as of yet but it's something I've dwelled on for the last couple of weeks.

Set 5 years from now.
Girl gets caught in the crossfire of a war.
Loses most of her friends in it.
Explore abstractness.

>What inspires you?

Cringeworthy manga and alcohol.

>Who inspires you?

Friends, People who I meet and Internet Personalities

Kinda hard due to being Math major.
Midterms are coming up and whatnot.

[Spoiler] I fell for the STEM meme ;-; [/Spoiler]

Doubt they would understand what it would be about but I'm sure they'd be proud of it.
>>
>>77615006
Well, do you want to know more? If so, what else do you want to know?
>>
>>77621687
The "probably not" part already tells me everything
>>
Honestly aside from the Frenchie most of you guys have a problem selling your idea.

Most of you probably aren't actually writing anything so why not sell it for all it's worth?
>>
>>77621771
Alright then
>>
>>77621879
Because I lack the confidence to "sell" an idea. I always think I'm rambling about shit people don't care about since I write primarily what I want to see/read.
>>
Hey so I've got a question, guys. What does it say about a person if they have a self insert character that just never gets to have a happy outcome/ending?
I've found myself just pushing my mc through the ringer of forever alone-ness.
>>
>>77622441

You make the character suffer so you can feel okay about your own life. The fact they're going through worse makes what you go through seem okay.
>>
>>77621879
Frenchfag here again, thank you.
Can you criticize my plot and give me advices please? You will find the pastebin in my first post.
>>
>>77621931
The best way to get confidence is to speak about your work to someone you can trust. Your brother for example, or your friend. But always eyes in the eyes with someone in flesh, not some forum on the internet. That is how you improve.
>>
>main character never gets good at that he does, he is just a little bit better that others

how overused is this
i like the idea, but im not sure
>>
The truth is that threads as this work best in summer
>>
>>77609522
I was trying to make a fairy tale but what Japanese thing I'm ripping off now?
>>
>>77621879
Let me try.

The story isn't so much pessimistic science fiction as much as just being pessimistic. It came about after I realized that although most of my characters are not good by any means they're not black or grey either. I wanted to write a story about a monster so I started this one.

It takes place sometime in the future. Not much has changed except VR and AR are very prominent in the lives of Americans.

The protagonist of the story was long before the story started an intelligent young man from a upper crust background who somehow managed to avoid all the pratfalls of growing up rich. As a birthday his father buys him in to a selective experimental VR beta that is attempting to length the time of entertainment while not using up time in real life.

Something goes wrong and they all get stuck there for six long years. People die from shock and people start killing each other panicking. The MC comes out a twenty two year old killer, having snapped under the pressure of being trapped in a fake world for what could quite possibly be the rest of his life. His family's money keeps him out of trouble but, since I'm a faggot who believes in the soul, he ends up becoming a hermit in the city making a living doing odd jobs since his soul got fucked.

The story picks up nearly two years after he gets out with flashbacks to immieditly after he got out. He's found a little bit of excitement working part time in a gym and one day he's approached with the offer of work. Someone is killing people and leaving his old killers guild symbol carved in their flesh.

Bored out of his mind and bloodthirsty he accepts the job.

This is my first story with a villian protagonist. A karate practicing murderer who after going through some shit never quite managed to recover.

There's also some commentary in there about lone wolves. Mostly in his good counterpart a boxing judoka who killed a lot of the MC's guild members and like him turned to a violent profession.
>>
>>77621879
i know my shits isnt good, not even the one i consider to be the best one
mostly because its just dialog with some action scenes, since i want to make an animation of it someday
>>
>>77621879

Well some of us ARE working on ideas meant for cartoons, not comics or novels.
>>
>>77625464
So you can't try to sell it because it might be linked to 4chan?
>>
File: Emmett twitch.gif (914 KB, 352x145) Image search: [Google]
Emmett twitch.gif
914 KB, 352x145
>tfw you finally write out the script that you've had in your head for years
Great... Finally finished those... seven... pages...
>>
>>77625645
>it might be linked to 4chan
no him but, for some reason i want this
i have this feeling that if ever actually make something and /co/ begins following it they will want one of my character dead, and will tease them like there is no tomorrow

you guys are some of the best critiques i have seen since most of the fans will just praise it, but knowing 4chan i can find some good criticisms here
>>
>>77628101
But nobody would air it.
>>
>>77624937
This is interesting. Sounds a bit dark for dark's sake but kind of interesting.

Can you tell me more about his good counterpart? The MC sounds meh.
>>
>>77631283
I'm using good counterpart loosely here.

Leo, the guy's name is just as bad as the MC. It's just that two seconds into the shitshow he ran into the girl who would become his waifu and she kept him sane and on the side of angels.

The truth is even though they loathe each other, come from different backgrounds and even fight in polarizing ways the two of them are disturbingly similar and despite themselves they do get along easily and understand each other to a great degree. There are numerous moments thst demonstrate this but I think the most prominent is during the climax where they both independently of each other show up to the villains hideout armed for a duel instead of a hunt.

Outside of these parallels Leo is a brutish guy. Direct to a great degree and not really all that shy about voicing his opinions. He's a boxer wrestler who picked up Judo and traditional Nip swordsmanship after returing to match the MC's Bo Staff fetish.
>>
>>77594617
>what're you writing?
A sci-fi story about a chrononaut going to the future, a post-apocalyptic comedy, and a thing about humanity's final moments as aliens destroy us all
>What're you reading?
Currently I'm reading a book on the various Political Theories from the Modern era.

Stories wise, I've been reading Don Quixote (Ormsby trans.), Purgatorio, LoTR: Two Towers, a book by James Martin on his journey to the Holy Land.

Comics wise, Johnny the Homocidal Maniac, random early Spawn issues, some Sin City crap, Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm
>What inspires you?
Just about anything really, but anything dealing with horror, philosophy, politics, mystery, post-apoc and sci-fi.
>Who inspires you?
Lovecraft, Poe, Mignola, King, Grisham, Cervantes, Miller, Doyle, Giraud, Tartakovsky, to name a few
I just write a couple paragraphs a day or a bunch of ideas. Long writing binges are rare for me.
Possibly, if ever I get myself to finish one.
>>
>>77633256

>Write down a topic/idea

In a sacred grove, the Gods of the ancients discuss the current state of humanity as loggers chop the forest down.

>Write a short (few paragraphs) story about the topic posted below your post.

Ares giggles drunkenly.

"Ah. For all we bash this new age, I do admit. They know how to entertain me."

Jumping from his seat, the alcohol from his cup stains his practically disintegrated tunic even more than it currently is. Whooping and hollering, it is clear that the once revered and respected god of war has long been unhinged.

"THE SAA IS GONNA DO IT. TANKS IN THIRTY MINUTES."

With a hand, Ares is brought down from his flight by an emaciated old man with a beard. The old man, even in his decrepit state, is still able to command a strong presence while exuding an authority and power you only see with experienced commanders and leaders. His grip was still firm.

"Quiet now. I think I hear something."
>>
>>77625645

That's not it (although the idea of a show getting picked up by CN or Nick or Disney that had its origins on this site is an amusing if not a terrifying thought). It's just that some of us aren't necessarily writing our ideas out in elaborate prose. Because I envision the main story I'm focusing on at the moment as an animated series, I've mostly been focusing on worldbuilding, outlining the plot of the series and various "episodes" or "arcs", and working on transcripts of dialogues which I picture taking place in the series before I even get to a producing a full script for a potential pilot or drawing concept art or storyboards. Because if you're just trying to develop an animated series, sometimes all you might need is a really good pitch and then you can recruit a team of writers and artists to create a project circle and assist you with all that heavy lifting OR you might just be able to sell the idea to someone.

If you're writing a novel, chances are you have to be decent with prose because you are most likely going to be writing that shit by yourself, your only real companion being your editor, unless you know a novelist who thinks your ideas are just so awesome that's it's worth all his likely to be solo effort.

If you're creating a comic series or a multimedia project that begins as a comic, you probably should know how to either draw or do a comic script yourself. At least that's my opinion.

I think most people here on /co/ probably aren't the best writers or artists, so it's understandable if some us "aren't actually writing anything" at the moment, especially if we are envisioning an animated series of some kind.
>>
File: 1446609820167.jpg (23 KB, 258x269) Image search: [Google]
1446609820167.jpg
23 KB, 258x269
>>77628101

If I did make it with an idea I peddled first here, I'd try to keep the lowest profile possible. Especially since someone might make a connection between what I've actually produced and something they may have read here at one time. That's also why I probably will never share anything explicit here other than vague and very general ideas of what I am doing. Is this series or graphic novel they're seeing made by that same anon on 4chan? Did the creators just rip it off that anon? Or is it a case of great minds (or retarded ones, if you prefer) think alike? Better to leave /co/ forever guessing. And that's my best advice to any wannabe writer here, especially if you actually have social media accounts on the ordinary net, unless you want your project be some kind of collective Anonymous project where invasions of your privacy might result in plenty of anons coming to your defense.

The last thing I would ever want is to become a successful cartoonist and have people from 4chan recognize me or to have people outside of 4chan trace me to this site.

Also, why is it that creators of /co/ stuff feel the need to have social media accounts anyway? I don't want SJW types or just dumbasses who aren't my producer or editor telling me what I'm doing right or wrong.
>>
I had an idea for a slice of life story that I got from a thread about chaotix a few months ago. It would have the general premise of the show, but follow a smaller group of characters. One would be new to the game, another would be more seasoned, and I haven't worked out the personality of the third. I have a bunch of ideas on how to move the story, but I'm too busy with college finals to write.
>>
File: Poster6_2.jpg (623 KB, 1483x2103) Image search: [Google]
Poster6_2.jpg
623 KB, 1483x2103
>>77594617
Here's a good tip for writers to know where your story is going. Start by referencing everything, Find what other works are more similar to your own, so that the reader can have an idea of what you're speaking (because he have these works in mind). For what I read most of you are inspired by what you read/watch so this exercise should not be too difficult.

In other words, answer the following questions:

>Which characters (in other media) look and act the most like your MC?
>Which shows have the same atmosphere as your project?
>Which movies/have the same staging style and pace as the one you want (for a cartoon)? Or which comics, (for a comic)?
>Which shows have the same graphic style/design as your own?
>Who are your favorite filmakers/cartoonists/animators and why? What do you want to borrow from them?
>What will be the main genre of your series? will it be more comedy-orientated, more suspense-orientated, more drama-orientated, etc...? Can you think of other works in this vein?
>What kind of audience would enjoy your show and why?
>Even if you had this idea in mind for a long time, what triggered you to start writing?

Maybe I did not phrase it the best way but you get the message.
>>
How do I write good smut?
>>
what exactly is /co/ about those threads?
shouldn't this be in /lit/?
>>
>>77637461
Well, it has to be passionate, try to use very little words like "cock", "pussy", "dick", etc. (unless it's for dialogue), and you have to convey how the characters are feeling without directly saying.

Example:
She knotted her fingers to steady him in place of her breast. It seemed the man had no intention of stopping anytime soon. Before long, her breathing had gone hollow and short, and the hand that wasn't tied up in his hair was fisted to the bedsheets. She couldn't stop her hips from lifting, almost unconsciously, seeking friction that wasn't there. The man hummed as he spiraled his tongue around her nipple, teasing her, soothing her. She bit her lip, holding back another moan. His free hand smoothed down her side again, curving over her hip and tracing the waistband of her lace underwear. She shifted from underneath him, silently begging for more. A second later, his hand brushed over the seat of her underwear and she tensed as heat flared low in her belly.
>>
First script is posted here. Criticism is always welcome.

http://renzy123.deviantart.com/gallery/

First half of my series is already in full script format. Issues 5-8 are going to have to be built from the ground up because previous versions were too juvenile. Just finished story boarding issue 5 so now i'm in the actual "scripting" process.
>>
>>77611045
okay, so expanding on this shit
>>77604542
What ya writing? describe your story or just give us a little resume

An angry cop is partnered with a with giant-teddy bear self-controled cop, on a quest for revenge. Unfortunately, everyone is robots.

Ehn, I normally outline to shit, but doing so on this one makes me want to not write it. When I start writing it the ideas come flowing out.
>How much do you have?
10 pages so far, I have it outlined up to about 25.
When I can be bothered and not be distracted.

Main character is an anthropomorphic saber toothed tiger. He was the best cop in the city along with his partner. But the pain of his friend's death has hindered his ability to do his job. He's on a one way track for revenge.

Idea's from an amalgamation of buddy-cop movies, danger 5 and kung fury.

An anthropomorphic pterodactyl named pterrorsaur and a controlling A.I.
>What is the setting?
Diamond-city, a utopia in the post-apocalyptic land, where mutant-dinosaur-human hybrids co-exist with humans.
pssh, 1 sci-fi, 1 super-hero, 1 luc bessonesque action.
>>
>>77640571
This sounds retarded.
>>
>>77640611
It is. It's just dumb fun. Came up with the title and thought "fuck it, I haven't written a script in a while, I may as well churn this out".

So it's just a dumb action-comedy.
>>
>>77640660
Well I don't really know what to say about it as a result.

Most of the criticisms I have are about how retarded it all seems.
>>
>>77637522
Because it is scripts for comics or cartoons
>>
>>77641001
so, this is basically Fanfiction-General?
why not just call it that?
>>
>>77641104
because most of the people that makes this threads only puts "writefag general" on the op and nothing else
>>
>>77637461
well, if I go and type 'writing good porn' into my search-engine it pops up a couple of helpful pages;

all I can say:
be careful:
not too much purple prose, not too much beige;
and never go
he put his sex into her sex and they had sex
>>
>>77641104
Which stories here would you call fanfiction?
>>
>>77642205
stories based upon already existing works
like Paradise Lost and Dante's Inferno
>>
I was writing a book. I know the story I want to tell, its just such a pain in the ass to put it on paper
I'm two chapters deep, each chapter is like 15 pages. I just find it so mentally draining and tedious. Like I need to be on hardcore stimulants to get anything done.

do I continue?
>>
>>77642544
Why don't you just divide it into shorter chapters?
small steps everyday
everyday gets a little easier
>>
>>77642578
I thought about it but I can't find appropriate places to break it up. I would write something in a way I want to read it and to me that means there is no room for filler or plot armor. I want every chapter to end on an..oh shit

for example, the first chapter is spent establishing the main cast of characters, of which half of them are dead by the end of the second
>>
>what are you writing?
Radically alternate take on Captain Marvel where Billy pilots a giant robot

>what are you reading?
The Eternaut and Gravity's Rainbow, the latter of which is making me feel like an idiot.

>what inspires you?
The fear that I'll have to spend the rest of my life working at a factory.

>who inspires you?
Grant Morrison. Matt Fraction. Jonathan Hickman.

>how are you balancing writing with everything else in your life?
I have a ridiculous amount of free time since all I do is work.

>would your folks be proud of you if they read what you're writing?
They'd be proud that I wrote something but they ultimately wouldn't care. My sister would give me shit for writing a comic instead of an actual book.
>>
>>77594617
>Ask someone to be a beta reader
>beta reader points out inconsistencies and shit that don't with my world
>promised to mark down all them and send them to me in a few days
>two weeks later beta reader still hasn't delivered
>now I will never know how exactly I fucked up
Fuck
>>
>>77642749
>establish chracters
>kille half of them off in the second
and then what?
kill the rest off one by one until nobody is alive by the time you write the last chapter?
Don't you want your readers to start liking them, knowing them before you do that?
This way the reader will not be shocked or surprised or dismayed by their loss
you have to make the reader care about them to emit an emotion
>>
>>77642447
Such as?
>>
>>77596509
Can you describe your show in a few lines?
>>
>>77645525
I gave examples
>>
>>77646147
I don't get what anons in partcular are ripping off Inferno or Paradise Lost
>>
>>77643329
well thats sort of why the chapters ended up being so long. the end of chapter 2 was actually supposed to be the end of chapter 1 but I couldn't get there in less pages than I did. I think 30 pages (no idea how many it would be in print, I'm talking single space 12 font word doc) is a long enough time to get attached because all those pages are spent establishing and developing them.

its done with a purpose, by the end of chapter 2 the impression is given that nobody is safe, and my hope is the pay off is more tension later on because the reader will not fall into that pitfall of "well I know hes going to get out of this sticky situation! hes the hero after all"
Imagine if luke skywalker and han solo got blown up, and all that was left was chewbacca with a missing leg to finish the mission. That's what I'm going for with the characters here. People will die and others will shine in their place unexpectedly.
>>
>>77646923
no, those are fanfictions
>>
>>77604542
A Sonic the hedgehog spinoff series with darker undertones and dealing with more mature preocupations.
Usually I follow my guts and therefore write it on the go. I focused mainly on character development.
>How much do you have?
Not much to be honest. I already finished personality researches for the MC, along with some artwork. You can read it on my deviantart account following this link
>blood_skull_boi99
Unfortunately I lack discipline when it comes to achieving my project. Most of my free time is dedicated to the consuption of Mountain Dew and I have many drawn masterpieces from the land of the rising sun waiting to be studied.
The MC is basically myself. He's cynical, jaded bordering on sarcastic. He went throught bad times and has therefore turned his back to any hope for this world. This inner wound is expressed outwardly by the lack of his left ear. Appart from that he shares the same musical and fashion tastes as my own.
The vilains are a deconstruction of traditional values and ideas being seen as "good" by the majority. Niceness, sunlight, school to drop a few names. In a very Freudian way it is undeniable that my parents were the main inspiration for these.
>What is the setting?
A neonoir take on the sonicverse.
Not currently. I am rather the customer type than the chief.
>>
>>77647691
Subtle.
>>
so, i wrote almost 5 pages of fluff and some little implications of both character doing lewd stuff almost every 30 minutes

somehow i feel this si bad

whats your opinion on fluff and implied lewds?
>>
>>77647691
The quality of the joke while decent falls short since nothing in the thread is actually fan fiction.

A link to an Amazon self published novel or a webblog of a emo would have done wonders for it.

I'd give it a seven out of ten since the sting while odd is still there.
>>
>>77632712
>they loathe each other, come from different backgrounds and even fight in polarizing ways the two of them are disturbingly similar and despite themselves they do get along easily and understand each other to a great degree.
So do they hate each other or not?
>>
>>77650902
It's complicated. In another life the two of them would have been blood brothers and it's acknowledged several times.

Also how is this thread not deadyet?
>>
>>77637522
Because the people in here are no writers, but ideafags or wannabes.
>>
Live, damn you!
>>
>>77594617
Story about a Young witch who has to stop a witch Hunter trying to revive a fallen Angel. Imagine a darker harry potter
>>What're you reading?
The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
>>What inspires you?
I actually came up with the idea from a dream
>>Who inspires you?
I dunno
Balance?
Yeah
>>
>>77654432
You didn't even try to sell it.
>>
>>77655120
Fine.

>in a world where about thirty percent of the world's population is able to use some form of magic the story follows a young french witch named Camilla as she attends a prestigious magic academy in Germany. As she begins to adapt to her new life things take a turn when several students begin to disappear. Taking claim for the disappearances is a mysterious witch hunter named Ulysses. What makes matters worse is that Ulysses is someone already at the school. Now Camilla must find the identity of Ulysses before he is able to enact his terrible plan that would end the world as they know it
>>
>>77655456
Why would a little girl be doing this?
>>
>>77655697
Well she's like 19 in the story. You find out that she's half angel which means she's incredibly gifted with magic.
>>
>>77655790
Really?
>>
>>77655805
Yeah.
>>
>>77655840
You don't see anything wrong with it?
>>
>>77656022
Oh I'm sure I'm copying something. I'm just not sure what
>>
>>77656071
generic Y.A. story structure?
>>
>>77656602
Yeah
>>
>Been out for most of the weekend
>See thread still here
Cool
>>
>>77657481
Truly this is a golden age
>>
>>77657590
Nah the golden age was when we first started these threads
We're in the 90s
>>
You ever feel so enamored with your ideas, that you're afraid of writing them because you don't wanna mess them up?

Occasionally, I take time out of my day to just brainstorm shit. Out of all the things I write down, I'll find at least one idea out of the brainstorming session that I absolutely love.

I'm in the middle of developing one of them, and every step of the way, I'm asking myself "Am I doing this idea justice? Am I just incorporating elements that'll only just fuck it up?".
>>
>>77659490
>You ever feel so enamored with your ideas, that you're afraid of writing them because you don't wanna mess them up?

I get a sickly feeling in my gut, like I'm not good enough or I'm about up chuck my lunch
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.