[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else here disappointed in Secret Wars and Post-Secret
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: MarvelSecretWars.jpg (68 KB, 670x360) Image search: [Google]
MarvelSecretWars.jpg
68 KB, 670x360
Anyone else here disappointed in Secret Wars and Post-Secret Wars Marvel?

I feel like I'm the only person that can't get on board with this whole thing. The multiverse thing is too complicated and the individual stories seem unimportant. Why would I get invested in any of the Secret Wars titles if they're temporary? Hickman's a great writer, but I feel like he takes on too much at once, and it becomes a mess. And the rest of the writers can't work on his level/can't be independent of his elaborate storylines, so there's a disparity in quality.

Everything will revert back to the status quo eventually, right? Wolverine will be revived, Thor and Steve Rogers will take back their titles, 616 Mr Fantastic will be back?

Also, on a personal level, I miss Abnett/Lanning legit sci-fi Nova/GotG. The cosmic stuff is incredibly tame and boring at the moment.

What are your feelings? Can anyone convince me to get into this new MCU?
>>
marvel sucks.
>>
> The multiverse thing is too complicated and the individual stories seem unimportant.

I'm with you on this, the realms/characters/etc are too fragmented now.
>>
My advice? There's still a couple good titles. Read those. Don't try to follow the Marvel U as a whole. That way lies madness.
>>
I still don't understand why Dr Strange allowed Dr Doom to become a God.
>>
>>77592747
I haven't made my mind up on post-SW but Sw has been fun as Marvel's gone all out and is basically celebrating every major elseworld story they've had up till now. It feels like a celebration of Marvel itself. Lots of really good minis although the final part of the main story feels rushed in that important things have happened in the background that they've glossed over.
>>
>>77593176
He was afraid he'll become monster if he wields that amount of power.
Then he gave power to pettiest dude this side of galaxy.
>>
>>77592747
>Why would I get invested in any of the Secret Wars titles if they're temporary?
>Everything will revert back to the status quo eventually, right?
Doesn't sound like you are new to this so you should know this already. Everything is temporary in comics There's no end to the journey. Back in the days of DnA people thought Abnett was going to write forever and the cosmic corner would forever be the place for epic stories. However it wasn't meant to be, it was always going to end like this. If not by Bendis hand then by someone probably even worse. If you feel so dissapointed with Marvel then maybe it's time to move on.

The only truth in comics is that everything you like will eventually turn into shit. No exceptions.
>>
>>77593042
Right? I read Ant-Man, Hawkeye and Howard the Duck, which are all pretty stand-alone. Any others you can recommend?

>>77593271
I picked up a few minis, they're OK. The more standalone ones can be fun, but the rest feel unnecessary because they might not exist Post-Secret Wars

Also, isn't it crazy that the main Secret Wars miniseries isn't over yet, and the main titles have already moved on? It's been delayed so many times, I wonder what the issue is.
>>
>>77593271
Age of Apocalypse's ending sucked all dicks.
>>77593346
>Any others you can recommend?
Vision.
>>
Hickman narrative is, once again, too big for himself, so yeah, very lackluster, boring and anything that might be interesting is happening off-screen or in tie-ins, some are very fun and a decent read by the way.

But the main event?, they took too long and that along with Hickman's narrative killed anything interesting it may had, and ANAD made sure to kill it for good.

Tom King in Vision is doing a GREAT job, probably the best issue #1 of the year, barring that there's not much worth mentioning
>>
>>77593346
Cap America is good but it's one of those titles that's definitely getting dragged into tie ins. Vision is amazing. Ms. Marvels good. Nova as okay so far. With the exception of one team mate most people liked Ultimates.
>>
>>77593346
>Any others you can recommend?
Some of the Battleworlds are okay as standalones. Try Infinity Gauntlet and Attilan Rising. I think both of them are completed.
>>
File: 1438338465081.png (187 KB, 573x495) Image search: [Google]
1438338465081.png
187 KB, 573x495
>>77593275
>Hackman
>>
>>77593430
I liked Weirdworld, mostly for the art
>>
>>77593458
I know right? I can't believe they've fired him
>>
>What are your feelings?

I want off this ride
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 300x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 300x455
Vision is a great Marvel comic, but in the large picture that means it's solidly above average. Even just narrowing it down to King's stuff, his DC work blows Vision out of the water. His Green Lantern one-shot is probably issue of the year. Post-SW Marvel is largely either mediocre or just straight bad.
>>
>>77593341
>I only read Marvel and DC
Sad.
>>
>>77592747
You aren't alone being disappointed, but you do sound like a newfriend
>>
>>77593341
Ain't that the truth?
>>
>>77593686
What part of "EVERYthing turns to shit sooner or later" you don't understand? Your indie comics are not immune from sucking balls
>>
>>77593341
>naive people
Fixed.
>>
>>77593430
>>77593530
Also, SIEGE was fan-fucking-tastic.
>>
>>77593686
Don't worry, that writer you are so infatuated with right now will become shit as well.
>>
Im only reading Iron Man, Dr. Strange and Carnage.
I used to like Spider-Man but Dan Slott's run is so fucking shitty, i might read the new Miles title.
Been reading a lot from DC, wish i could enjoy Batman more tho.
Are there any more Marvel titles worth reading /co/marades? i read the first 6 issues of Moon Knight i found them quite good.
>>
>>77594059
Did you love Brand holding Summers Prime's hand as much as I did?
>>
>>77594202
Vision.
Why are you reading Iron Man, btw?
>>
ANAD Marvel feels a lot liked early New 52 DC where there are a couple of gems but 95% of the line feels bland and homogenized as fuck
>>
>>77594737
It's still beyond me why DC released Green Team: Teen Trillionaires. I get it they you go for diverse titles but... wow.
>>
>>77594006
Quit being a plebeian and read more creator-owned comics.

Everything at Marvel and DC turns to shit because it has to last forever. In a hundred years, Batman will still be fighting the Joker, and Spider-Man will still be whining about his Parker luck. Disney and Warner Bros will keep them going for as long as there is a profit in it.

Creator-owned comics can avoid turning into shit by, y'know, actually reaching an ending.
>>
>>77594737
I like pretty much all the titles I read. Cap is a pretty cool comic that starts looking a bit like blacksploitation. Ms. Marvel is still wonderful, Vision is amazing, the Avengers titles are solid to cheesetastic...
Not sure about Angela yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (660 KB, 800x609) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
660 KB, 800x609
>>77594839
Like it's counterpart the Movement, it's an old teen title that could be fun if updated. Unfortunately, it wasn't all that good. But you can't blame them for trying, especially since the whole 1% vs 99% was big at the time.

Prez is the same thing, an older teen property that could be fun if updated and relevant for the times. Thankfully, Prez has turned out much, much better.
>>
>>77594840
>Creator-owned comics can avoid turning into shit by, y'know, actually reaching an ending.
It's funny because a lot of creator owned stuff now is largely done for movie/tv pitches and often have later (taking anything sometimes just past three) issues barely released, if at all.
>>
Marvel and DC's banner-wide settings keep ruining Marvel and DC stores.
>>
>>77595121
I think DC right now is suffering due to the lack of a flagship banner. It makes even stories that are supposed to be big feel irrelevant.
>>
>>77595102
Just avoid Morrison and Millar. Those are the two biggest adaptation-chasers right now.
>>
>>77595182
the Millar stuff is soooo transparent. every comic he puts out nowadays is essentially a movie pitch. and they're not particularly good either

(I did like Starlight, even though it was just a ripoff of The Incredibles and John Carter)
>>
>>77595160
I think Justice League is basically supposed to be the sole banner title right now, but apparently a lot of people are confused and some dislike that it doesn't reflect what's happening in the leaguer solo books
>>
>>77595219
Millar is shameless, but he'll never beat the shamelessness of Morrison actually releasing comics through a film studio (Legendary Pictures) in the hopes of an adaptation.
>>
>>77595049
Oh, I don't blame them. Props for trying something fresh. But it wasn't good comic, as you said.
>>
>>77593275
Whut
>>
>>77595219
>(I did like Starlight, even though it was just a ripoff of The Incredibles and John Carter)

It was Flash Gordon you fool
>>
>>77593341
>>77594024
The worst part is that these naive people still whine to this day about what is happening. As if they still believe everything is going to be back to what was before if X writer leaves. They are delusional
>>
>>77593341
>>77594024
The worst part is that these naive people still whine to this day about what is happening. As if they still believe everything is going to be back to what was before if X writer leaves. They are delusional.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.