[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So... is there anyone who DOESN'T like Barks/Rosa's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: ScroogeFirst.jpg (15 KB, 174x210) Image search: [Google]
ScroogeFirst.jpg
15 KB, 174x210
So... is there anyone who DOESN'T like Barks/Rosa's Duck comics? They seem to be universally acclaimed, and whenever there's a thread or a storytime about them, it always seems like 500 posts of harmony and love.

Is this one thing that everyone on /co/ agrees is excellent? I feel like that would be a phenomenally short list. What else would be on it?
>>
Hellboy gets about the same level of love, which is impressive for an ongoing series.
>>
Probably Disney executives.
>>
My one complaint with Rosa is his writing can get a little bit preachy sometimes. Ither than that it's great.
>>
>>77571013
>preachy
concerning what?
>>
Some think Rosa's too much of a fanboy creator as opposed to Barks, who was more of an "artist".
Some don't like Barks' Scrooge as much as his Donald since it's more mean or something.
>>
>>77570962
No.
>>
>>77570962
untrue, hellboy sucks is just that most folks ignore it
>>
>>77571066
>>77571067
holy shit
>>
File: Everett_True_Cover.jpg (19 KB, 237x409) Image search: [Google]
Everett_True_Cover.jpg
19 KB, 237x409
Ive never seen anyone say bad shit about Everett True.
>>
>>77571082
That's because he's listening, anon.
>>
>>77571067
>Hellboy sucks

Did you even read Hellboy, let alone BPRD (imo the best part of the franchise)
>>
>>77571091
Yes. A shitty lovecraft rip-off
It was fun when there was only one book, but when Mignola branched, it literally became x-book-tier garbage

Hell on earth was the last straw for me
>>
>>77571022
>Wow! History is awesome! More amazing than any TV show or movie!

Why the fuck are you saying that during a treasure hunt, Dewey
>>
File: iosif.png (389 KB, 567x516) Image search: [Google]
iosif.png
389 KB, 567x516
>>77571101
>shitty HPL ripoff

Nah, not enough racism and illiterate mumbling to count, also protagonists do something apart from crying. Also, speaking of him: Lovecraft is massively overrated to begin with and he should be more appreciated for inspiring a lot of people in the genre than his work alone, I feel. He was important for the development of horror but he was a weak writer.

also
>hating on Hell on Earth
>hating on the arc that gave us only decent Russian character in mainstream comics

The only thing worth hating are the early arcs where Byrne was involved and Abe's ongoing currently because Allie is a hack.
>>
>>77571082
The problem with Everett True is that he drips of a disgruntled writer.

>Man, I was so upset at this lady on the bus today.
>If I was a big angry jerk I'd show her what for!
>Here's a comic of my OC Everett True beating up everyone I hate!
>>
>>77571047
>Some think Rosa's too much of a fanboy creator as opposed to Barks
I think most writers who get jobs in the comic industry are fanboys. Rosa even openly admits that he's not an artist, but he still has a passion for telling a story with a good hook. Even if a story of his starts off kind of weak, it always eventually grabs my interest because he introduces some gag, gimmick or twist that just makes you want to turn the page. You get to the last panel, and there's this wonderful "Oh... yeah!" moment in most of his stories. I think he's actually better than Barks in that respect.

>>77571082
Everett True is not the hero we deserve, but he's the hero we need.

>>77571122
I guess, that counts. I wouldn't agree, but I've read Rosa saying that he dislikes TV and movies before.
>>
>>77571082

Anyone living, anyway.
>>
>>77571127
Yes, I hate Hell on earth, because I hate that plot in the first place and the fact that BPRD became only about fighting Nazis / Ogdru Jahad minions, made me feel bored pretty fast.
>>
cont. also, there is nothing more annoying than an artist trying to draw jn Mignola style. not to mention that Mignola himself simplified his style to the point of absurdity
>>
>>77571145
In regards to this, Everett is quite similar to Stardust: they're both bizarre wish fulfillment fantasies, beating up people their creators considered despicable, both real ones and those born out of paranoid fears.

>>77571167
>only about fighting nazis
They haven't fought nazis since War on Frogs, Kroenen showed up a few times but only as a supporting character. Also, are you essentially mad it has an overarching plot with lasting consequences now, one that was hinted since the very beginning anyway, and isn't just a set of random vignettes about beating up random monsters? Also, "only ever fighting nazis" was a problem with a lot of early Hellboy, not with BPRD, especially not during Hell on Earth.
>>
>>77571202
I said my piece, you said your piece.
You're not going to change my mind, but as you can see, Hellboy doesn't get an universal love, just people like me ignore any discussion about this book. But this can change, and I can start shitposting in Hellboy threads.

So if you don't mind, we can return to the main topic.
>>
>>77571196
Too bad he barely draws anything himself apart from Hellboy in Hell nowadays and neither Davis nor Fegredo copy his style, not to mention the more minor artists working on specific arc of BPRD... Or Corben, who worked on a lot of semi-recent Hellboy stories like the Mexico arc.

You don't even read those comics and it really shows, man. It's like those fuckers who thought Abe's solo is a reboot because he looked different than before
>>
>>77571217
I admit that I stopped reading Hellboy and related around 4 years ago. I simply got bored.
>>
>>77571216
I don't even read Hellboy but did you notice how stupid you sound presenting a threat of shitposting as something that makes you win a discussion
>>
>>77570943
I just got the latest Fantagraphics Barks collection and the Halloween story with Hazel the Witch just embodies what makes Barks so great. Every single page crackles with imagination and invention.
>>
File: hb.png (432 KB, 661x388) Image search: [Google]
hb.png
432 KB, 661x388
>>77571233
So around the time when Fegredo (and occasionally Corben) was on art duties in Hellboy, his style looks nothing like Mignola's, pic related. What you're talking about is a stupid fanart trend (usually not even in HB fanart at that), not something that ever happened to the actual comic
>>
>>77571238
it is stupid. it's just that the original argument was that "Hellboy gets the same level of love". I'm not really going to shitpost in Hellboy threads, and if someone likes him, that's fine. It's just that certain characters are not really discussed, beside some dedicated fans.
>>
>>77571273
The only Corben Hellboy story I remember was Makoma. I remember that it was much better and more frightening story than what Mignola actually delivered. I remember that there was a huge setup with the queen of witches (don't remember her name) that was 2badass4anyone only to get defeated quickly. The whole resolution of the armageddon plot felt for me anti-climatic. If I remember correctly, it was the last volume of Hellboy I've read. With BPRD, I just gave up on it.
>>
File: 324195.jpg (55 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
324195.jpg
55 KB, 400x300
>>77571305
OP here. This is why I asked. There are some things that are such a niche that you only ever hear the praise, because nobody else can be bothered to go into a thread to voice a neutral or negative opinion unless it's big 2 capeshit or a popular cartoon.

I know Looney Tunes are obviously well-loved, but let's get more specific. Does anyone legitimately dislike Coyote/Roadrunner shorts? I always felt that these were pretty universal and timeless.
>>
>>77571372
personally I don't really like watching them at all, but I am aware how popular they are. my mother who hates cartoons, likes this one.
but I don't think I legitimately dislike it, as they had some merits too.
>>
>>77571022
He had one story which was basically him calling superhero comics shit because they're violent.
>>
>>77570943
Don Rosa stories were a good one time read, while Bark's stories are always a good read. Barks comics have constant speed while Don Rosa comics linger on little details.
>>
File: bone_03.jpg (164 KB, 585x872) Image search: [Google]
bone_03.jpg
164 KB, 585x872
>>77570943
I wonder if Bone qualifies.

But I've been going through some Barks/Rosa comics, and they're all pretty great IMO.

>>77573224
I actually so far like the leisurely pace Rosa stories take when there's no action. It feels a lot like Asterix in that regard.
>>
>>77573224
>Barks comics have constant speed while Don Rosa comics linger on little details.
Agreed, but these little details are often what help make his world feel more whole. Sometimes, Barks glosses over things that should actually seriously affect a story, and I have to stop and question them for a bit before ultimately deciding to ignore. Rosa is a stickler for consistency and detail, which I absolutely love.
>>
>>77571122
Well they are going using history to find treasure instead of sitting at home and watching TV. It's still a bit preachy, but I could see reason for him saying it.
>>
I find Rosa less compelling, and knowing that much of the art is self-admitted swipe kind of bothers me.
However, the latter complaint is kind of bullshit, because fucking everybody seems to swipe. Nodody even bitches about it any more.
>>
File: comicbooks.jpg (53 KB, 462x327) Image search: [Google]
comicbooks.jpg
53 KB, 462x327
>>77573138
That one was very cool actually
>>
>>77576746
Isn't he a superman fag, though?
>>
>>77570943
Rosa takes the Duckburg characters too seriously sometimes and I kind of hate that people just attach him to Barks like that. I'll give Rosa this though, for years I thought he actually started writing Scrooge stories in the 60s, he's good at emulating that style.
>>
>>77576795
I don't know.

But that story isn't really against cape comics. It's just that Donald sees them as just mindlessly violent, while the nephews hate anthropomorphic "kid stuff".

Then Donald gets super powers and things go hilariously wrong as expected. It has pretty sweet and heartwarming end actually.
>>
Don Rosa = autist supreme
Barks = GOAT, funny and light hearted
>>
>>77571127
HPL was racist, but calling him illiterate is just fucking stupid.
>>
>>77576746
>>77577066
I'm fairly sure this is just a redo of Carl Bark's older story.
>>
Barks is the most important cartoonist of the 20th century
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.