[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Excluding Vision, name me one better Marvel title than Martian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: file.png (923 KB, 600x924) Image search: [Google]
file.png
923 KB, 600x924
Excluding Vision, name me one better Marvel title than Martian Manhunter.
>>
>>77564679
his Mister Biscuits the version that we all love of Jonn ?
>>
Including Vision, here's a complete list:
>>
>>77564679
How is the MM ongoing right now?
>>
File: 1447648650587.jpg (156 KB, 620x656) Image search: [Google]
1447648650587.jpg
156 KB, 620x656
>>77564860
Fantastic. You should read it, mate.
>>
Will they fall for the bait? I can't wait to find out!
>>
>>77564889
Can you name one?
>>
>>77564860
its actually quite good, writing is Good and the whole Premise of Jonn splinting himself into various bits so he could live different lifes was also cool
>>
I started trade waiting when DCYou hit. Right now I'm awaiting Catwoman, J'onn, Middy, Prez, Omega Men, Paktion, by Midnight and maybe Constantine.
>>
>>77565020
Based.
>>
>>77564679
New Avengers and Ms Marvel is pretty fun. Though I suppose if we're looking for something exceptional, I would think it seems kind of early to tell.
Though, it's not like there's any reason to compare them, anyway.
>>77564860
es good.
>>
>>77564822
You're the best, anon.

>>77565020
>Not Grayson
Anon, come on. Well, looking at everything you want to read, at least you have pretty good taste. All fantastic books; the best out of the big 2 right now, that's for sure.

>>77564931
I've been waiting for the trade, but I got this plot point spoiled for me. I just wanted to ask, was this kind of thing something J'onn could always do? Just split like that? Or is there more to it?
>>
>>77564930
Nope, I'm not falling for your b8, m8.

Try someone else.
>>
>>77565188
The trades they're doing for Grayson kinda suck, I want to wait for deluxed or some nicer format. If they gave Lemire Green Arrow one, I expect the much more successful Grayson to follow suit.

I kinda miss floppies, but Image and Valiant are good at trades, and I was too morally outraged by the Twix ads to pull DCYou

Sides, I got Cerebus to barrel through.
>>
>>77564860
Coming from a guy who's been pretty urned out on the big two over the past few years it's a genuinely great read.
>>
>>77564679
Squad Supreme looks promising. Probably not as good as MMH, but don't discount it!
>>
>>77565020
I don't understand why Gotham by midnight doesn't get much love. The storytelling has been fucking fantastic the past few issues
>>
>>77570215
It's easy to see why not actually. It's police procedural with some black magicks thrown in. And casuals didn't like Templesmith, probably don't like Ferreyra either. It's pretty cool though, I agree, I like it but it doesn't amaze me despite the amazing art. I actually prefer Green Arrow right now and I don't know why that isn't getting more love.
>>
>>77564679
Ant-Man
>>
File: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
I came here to laugh at you.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>77570275
>>
>>77570267
I thought Lemire's take on GA was better. The thing I like about GbM is the new direction it's given to Corrigan. It explains why the Spectre only administers justice selectively.

Corrigan being in control of the Spectre is a fresh take and I'd have loved to see where Fawkes took him from here. Too bad it's canned
>>
>>77570284
>>
>>77570333
I don't know what the fuss about Lemire's GA REALLY is about. Some nice plots, sure, but I feel like he fumbled every storyline, Outsiders seemed really cool but every clan only had one named character and unnamed canon fodder and they didn't really get much development of characterization before dying/getting rekt. I feel like the ending to Outsiders War was 7 different kinds of bad and that arc should've been an intro to the Outsiders without it getting resolved and having them be background figures and appear sporadically until another Outsiders centered arc down the line. It also brought huge changes to Oliver's character what with having Robert be the one to torture him and I found his actual death to be silly but that's probably due to poor communication between the writer and artists. I also feel like Broken had a stupid conclusion, Richard Dragon is introduced and he's 7 different flavors of awesome but then it's revealed he's a crybaby with daddy issues and he gets defeated by, get this, the power of friendship(no, really).

Some cool world building here and there, but no great character work and the world building was abandoned too early for it to be properly developed.

I prefer this run in terms of character work, Percy gets Ollie and being an actual writer he knows his way around words, not to mention that he understands when to shut up and just let the artist tell the story.
>>
>>77570417
>>77570267
Because the pacing is fucking trash. I like the book but it feels like Percy has a beginning and an end and is making up everything in the middle as he goes along.
>>
>>77564879
source of pic?
>>
>>77570477
"bad pacing" is the laziest and dumbest criticism ever. It can be attached to anything.
>>
>>77564679
Ya got me OP.

Other than Vision, there really isn't anything that I like from Marvel right now. I'm looking forward to Moon Knight though and maybe Scarlet Witch and Punisher. SW could go either way and I hate that Dillon is doing the art for Punisher, but the writing should be good.
>>
>>77570523
>Scarlet Witch and Punisher
Someone likes his Dillon.
>>
>>77570417
I feel the same, Lemire was okay but his Ollie was really bland

I prefer Percy's take on Ollie and his style but his plots have been odd and the pacing is shit
>>
>>77564860
Extremely mediocre.

It is, however, one of the very few cape comics that approaches even slightly good right now. Most of what DC is doing is trash, and we haven't seen most of Marvel's new line, though what we have seen is sub-par.
>>
>>77570521
It can't be attached to things with good pacing.

'Bad pacing' comes up as a criticism so often because pacing is actually pretty difficult to master, especially when you have an editorial staff like those at Marvel or DC breathing down your neck and are under pressure to make sure that x arc works with x event and finishes before x concludes and hey have you seen this new character we want to push drop them in yeah?
>>
>>77564822
>>77565188
He's not. Vision is just as good as MM, both are legit comic book reads though.
>>
>>77570595
Sure it can because there is not good pacing. An example of this would be Robinson's E2 which many though had great pacing for a cape team book and others though was atrocious.

>>77570562
Lemire's "writing for trade" pacing is annoying to me.
>>
File: 31_05.jpg (81 KB, 349x508) Image search: [Google]
31_05.jpg
81 KB, 349x508
>>77564679
Marvel only has Vision, however out of DC alone I find Omega Men and Midnighter to be better than MM, I have high hopes for Wein's Metal Men too.

A lot of indie cape and semi-cape stuff is doing well too, BPRD is easily at its finest in a long while right now and this book sets a pretty high standard in general.
>>
>>77570601
After only one issue? If I were to call you the s word you'd get offended but that's what you are.
>>
>>77570521
Okay then.
Oliver feels likely he's being wildly pulled in every direction.
The first arcs swt-up with the racist killer was extremely interesting and showed that they were aiming for a O'Niel-esque liberal Oliver written with Grell sensibilities which I was really interested in.
Then suddenly we're onto Robocop-esque police stupidity with a giant tentacled robot that feels entirely disconnected from a grounded setting and it turns out the racist killer was just some lackey for the industry and he gets killed off before we find out anything about him.
>>
>>77570651
That's how I feel about this too. I was really happy about Ollie taking the O'Neil-like direction again because this was what made me enjoy the character a lot in the first place - it's often interesting to read about characters with somewhat extreme worldview and Ollie was as far to the left as you can get without being an anarchist or communist (O'Neil was aiming at revolutionary syndicalism I think).

The new writer definitely tries and it's an improvement over a lot of recent Ollie media, but there's bit too much of a tone clash due to some of the enemies, as you said; also, there really should be a supporting character with slightly less extremist but still liberal views to discuss Ollie's actions with him at times (I'd love to see Buddy Baker in such a role but that's unlikely, even less so without Lemire on board).
>>
>>77570651
See, that's my point, you don't have a problem with the pace, you have a problem with the plot. For me, it was good because the following arc is a bit more mystic in nature and so the first one was a bit more techno which was cool to showcase that Green Arrow is not one note. I like that the racist killer was a lackey, not every villain needs to be defeated by a generic last arc big fight and an albino racist? not much room for originality.
>>
>>77570624
Well yeah, if we're doing DC too there are others better than MM in my opinion. Omega Men, Midnighter, Prez, ASS8, Grayson are more enjoyable to me, but MM is also very good.

Speaking of DC, are Constantine and Cyborg worth it? I've been hearing mixed opinions about both.
>>
>>77570898
Haven't read Constantine, but Cyborg, while not exceptional, is okay. Pretty slow and at times directionless and I don't like how they want to make everyone hate him in-universe (especially since let's not kid ourselves, most fans he has are people who liked him in the cartoon), but it has potential and some nice Metal Men moments.
>>
>>77570738
No it sounds like he has a problem with the plot the characterization and the pacing.
He said he didn't like how the story jumped from "killer" weirdly to "lel robot" and then quickly ended the "killer" plot without proper resolution. That's pacing.
>>
>>77570898
Constantine is great. The sense of direction is there and despite the writers not being British it's well researched. Art is fantastic.

Cyborg's not bad but the pacing is atrocious.
>>
>>77570976
They also spent 2 issues bigging up the albino killer then 1 page establishing the evil robots.
>>
>>77570624
>DC Comics is making a Metal Men comic
>meanwhile Marvel it taking a huge dump on their legacy

why is DC so based
>>
>>77571062
Huh? The albino appears briefly for a few pages in the first issue but even then the ferris wheel killer is implied to be a monster or something and not him. Then the next issue the tentacle robots are established and at the end you're shown that he's in cahoots with them. And then the third and last issue he gets killed off.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.