[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>DC stealth launches a mini secretly starring a native American
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (353 KB, 700x1076) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
353 KB, 700x1076
>DC stealth launches a mini secretly starring a native American
>beats Red Wolf to the punch by months
>he isn't dressed like an Injun stereotype
>doesn't show him off for ass pats
>will never get any diversity cred for it

Where were you when Telos turned out to be an incredibly hidden and convoluted revamp of Arak Son of Thunder /co/?
>>
Thanks Marvel
>>
>>77546298
>Arak Son of Thunder
WHO
>>
Red Wolf will probably last as long this book will.

At the end of the day, diversity never sells.

(and people only want diversity when it suits their own interests anyway).
>>
>>77546817
lol look at this casual obviously.
>>
>>77546817
Sort of a Conan knockoff, introduced in Warlord. Hasn't appeared in almost thirty years.
>>
>>77546298
>doesn't show him off for ass pats
And that's why DC's sales are in the shitter.

If Marvel were to give any of their gay male characters a book, they would whore him out big trying to make sure everyone knows about him and other sites wouldn't know any better and would call him the first gay guy to get his own book.
Whereas DC just kinda lets Midnighter sits there, hoping word of mouth is enough. when in reality the only time people will talk about Middy is when his book is cancelled.
>>
>>77546897

Wouldn't DC's Conan rip-off be Claw?
>>
>>77546298
I mean, kudos, but Telos is still terrible.
>>
>>77546937
Yes and no, there was also Beowulf and Ditko's Stalker. Warlord however is more akin to Burrow's John Carter
>>
>>77546916
DC has the worst marketing department ever for a company that's supposed to be rivals with Marvel.
>>
>>77546298
Well that's nice, but it still doesn't excuse what was done to Earth 2 for Telos' sake.
>>
How successful are Marvel's diversity books really? It's hard to tell when they fucking relaunch everything, I can't gauge if these books are suppose to be a financial success or not since none of their books have numbers going back double digits for very long.
>>
>>77546298
>he isn't dressed like an Injun stereotype
Instead he is dressed like a native south american stereotype.
>>
File: Super-Chief_001[1].jpg (49 KB, 585x671) Image search: [Google]
Super-Chief_001[1].jpg
49 KB, 585x671
>>77546298

Between Super Chief and Apache Chief, I'm surprised anybody really cares about it. If Marvel announced that the sky was blue on the View, would it sell them more comics about it?
>>
>>77547970
Yes... yes it would.
>>
>>77547970

Man, DC has a lot of cool looking characters.
>>
>>77547416
This issue was a fucking cliche storm. Like, okay, the first one was too, but at least I found the banal shit interaction between Brainiac and Telos fairly entertaining in a shitty Legacy of Kain fanfiction sort of way.

This one was just bad.
>>
File: 1444356591137.jpg (23 KB, 251x376) Image search: [Google]
1444356591137.jpg
23 KB, 251x376
My waifu was in this issue right?
>>
>>77548040

There was a Super Chief in 52 but he was short-lived and was basically there just to be a failure. Shame.
>>
>>77548478

Really? Which book?
>>
>>77547767
Yeah, that whole department needs to be culled.
>>
>>77548500

These are apparently all his first appearances
(I) All-Star Western #117, (March 1961)
(II) Adventures of Superman Annual #9 (1997)
(III) 52 Week 22, (October 2006)
(IV) Superman #709, (May 2011)
>>
Is Jeff King just a super big Warlord fan or something?

Also someone on CBR fucking called it:
>Arak, Son Of Thunder!

>Because why not?
http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?42134-Who-do-you-suppose-Telos-*really*-was&p=1228401&viewfull=1#post1228401
>>
>>77548280
Yes

She didn't rape or murder anybody though

And Vril apparently has a sister
>>
>>77548726
Judging by his affinity for Warlord and LOSH he's a bronze age DC fan

Also a 90s fan judging by LEGION and Parallax
>>
>>77548734

Vril doesn't exist. Actually, i take that back. Vril IS THE WOMAN.
>>
Can i ask a question? Didn't Brainiac/Collector turn Colu and all it's inhabitants, including his wife and little kid into computer data (kinda killing them)? So how come the planet still exists and is now controlled by Tyrant?
>>
>>77548734
>>77548836
>spoiler

now I'm just confused
>>
>>77548836
>smug, arrogant, cutthroat coluan qt3.14

I'm okay with this.
>>
wait, so is this book any good?
>>
>>77549099

She has the same backstory as Vril Dox II, a clone of the original Vril Dox (Braniac) created by Colu's ruling IA Computer Tyrants to oppose Brainiac. Heck, she even aligned herself to Stealth and others to fight back both the Computer Tyrants and Brainiac.
>>
File: image.jpg (461 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
461 KB, 790x1200
>>77549184
It's not the worst thing ever, just slightly boring

Parallax is my villain husbando though so I will probably keep reading
>>
>>77548520
apparently working for DC marketing sucks. met a guy who did it first out of college and regretted it.

this was awhile back so maybe things are different?
>>
>>77549280
It's not the exact same background, Brainiac created Vril basically just to have a slave, the new lady said she was turned into a weapon
>>
>>77549184
It's mediocre with horrible sales.
>>
>>77549298
wait. Best Hal is in this?
>>
>>77549330

They're mixing the pre-CoIE Earth-1 background with the post-CoIE New Earth background.
>>
File: 1436665685067.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2210) Image search: [Google]
1436665685067.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2210
>>77549280
Well I guess that's ok, but how do we get Lyrl now? I need my villain babby
>>
>>77549355
TELOS #5
Written by JEFF KING
Art and cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ
Variant cover by NEAL ADAMS
On sale FEBRUARY 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
Telos abandons his team on Colu to head into the stars alone. But he doesn’t get far before an alien alliance attacks him, now that he’s wanted for the destruction of Computo and his empire. And when all hope seems lost, help arrives in the unexpected form of Parallax!

He's gonna be
>>
>>77549379

Vril-Girl grows a dick?
>>
>>77546298
Shit. I might have actually cared about this book if I'd known it had any meaningful relationship to Warlord. Warlord is one of my favorites.
>>
>>77549428
caused by Stealth's weird biology, of course
>>
Was it explained how Colu exists when it was destroyed by the Multitude back during Morrison's run on Action Comics?
>>
>>77549309
I'm not surprised by this at all.
>>
>>77546298
Well, it would be fine to have a Native American meta wearing Indian stuff, just you know, authentic and appropriate stuff. A lot of actual warpaint schemes are SCARY, and if you did the strange choice of having a Northwestern Coastal Native dude (or maybe a Shaman? That would be kind of cool) you could deck them out in a mask. Also true of an Eskimo or Inuit warrior/shaman. Any of them have some outright terrifying masks. You could go with the premise of either they wear one, seriously bad news mask that actively invokes something very nasty, but useful, or they occasionally used different ones, to invoke various entities and their powers.

Again, many of these would be seriously scary. Maybe they put on the mask their mentor told them never, ever to put on unless absolutely necessary very rarely, when that is the case. The mask invoking the God or spirit that will give everyone involved nightmares for the rest of their life.
>>
>>77547970
He'd need a redesign, as cool as this look is, the Native American Firestorm villain (Black Bison, I think?) looks exactly the same and he showed up a few times recently
>>
>>77549893
Inuits have a very cool legend about shamans making little golems from human bones, they're called tupilaq. That could be an interesting basis for a supernatural hero, maybe the constructs would make him/her able to see the occurences of one's death or something
>>
http://comicbook.com/2015/09/07/jeff-king-talks-telos/

>Brainiac has divested himself of all the memories and all the power that he gained through all the pre-Convergence adventures he's been on, so when Telos seeks him out, he's going to send him on a journey -- on a mission, basically, because Brainiac no longer has the answers and no longer has the power that Telos does. So Telos's search for his family is going to take us to Colu, to Brainiac's home planet, and things have changed since Crisis on Infinite Earths. The history and the lineage of those clones and the sons of Brainiac that we all know and love has all changed since Crisis on Infinite Earths and he's going to find Colu under the thumb of the Computer Tyrants.

Wait... which Brainiac is this? I thought he was Post-Flashpoint Prime Earth Brainiac... so that explain how Colu still exists. But what is the planet doing in the Post-Flashpoint Prime Earth universe?
>>
>>77550383
Are you sure we're in the Post-Flashpoint Multiverse, and not somewhere else in the larger Megaverse?
>>
>>77550540

Well... you've Nu52 Krrot, Stealth and Captain Comet.
>>
DC actually has a solid number of Native American heroes now that I think about it. These guys, Apache Chief, plus Equinox too.
>>
File: tumblr_lzjoda0nLc1qhbhvxo1_500.jpg (137 KB, 490x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzjoda0nLc1qhbhvxo1_500.jpg
137 KB, 490x750
>>77550789
Forgot my picture.
>>
>>77546826
>At the end of the day, diversity never sells.
No matter how much you keep saying it, that doesn't make it true.
>>
>>77551042
Huh, I guess that's why they always gotta keep relaunching titles then.
>>
>>77550789
Dawnstar too
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.