[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comics you like that /co/ seems to hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: underrated.jpg (386 KB, 900x1366) Image search: [Google]
underrated.jpg
386 KB, 900x1366
Post some comics that you think /co/ hates but that you like. Alternatively, post comics you hate that /co/ loves. Please elaborate on your opinions. I'll start.

>Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man
>Fraction's Iron Man
>The Ultimates 1 and 2
>The Ultimate Avengers (the first one with Ult Red Skull)
>>
>>77529353
>Comics you like that /co/ seems to hate
.... All of them. And to be fair, that's because comic books are inherently shit.
>>
So, did you post the ones you hate or like?

General opinion on Miles is that he's boring and his book has suffered from constant events interrupting the flow, but he's not completely terrible.

Then you post the Ultimates which I believe /co/ doesn't hate.

And then you posted piece of fucking dog shit that is Ultimate Avengers, holy shit, if you liked that, kill yourself.
>>
>>77529353
OP here, time to elaborate.

>Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man
I understand the complaint that Miles is too similar to Peter, especially when he's in the costume, and I can understand why fans would be angry that Peter was killed to make room for him but I still think that the series was a really impressive (and really well illustrated) origin story. Miles fighting his uncle and losing his mother to Venom was all cool, and the time-jump arc where he decides to become Spiderman again was awesome. Later when they resurrected Peter I basically lost all interest in the series.

>Fraction's Iron Man
It had a really disappointing ending and the art was mostly substandard throughout (I think Larroca draws the Iron Man suit and all his enemies very well, but his faces can be shoddy. This isn't helped by the abysmal coloring.) but the story took Tony in an interesting direction and had a lot of great ideas, especially early on in the run. I loved The Five Nightmares, Most Wanted, and Stark Resilient. The series starts to have problems towards the end, where it seems like Fraction was given six issues to wrap up the story before Marvel's next big line-wide renumbering when he really should have been given twice that. The ending just feels really rushed and dumb, but otherwise I quite enjoyed the series.

>The Ultimates 1 and 2
This are just great books. I think /co/ just retroactively hates on them because they got fed up with Millar's edgy bullshit. But the first two Ultimates feel more realistic and less intentionally edgy than his later work (Kick-Ass, Nemesis, etc.).

>Ultimate Avengers
I like Ultimate Red Skull. I think he comes across as very scary, but the ending goes a long way towards making him more sympathetic. It has some really cool action scenes, and the cosmic cube was well-utilized. Having said that, I was never a fan of nerd-Hulk and the end is a little anti-climactic (Cap just teleporting a jet into him was a bit too easy).
>>
>>77529353
I like all of those except Ultimate Avengers
>>
>>77529539
I like all of those. The first volume of Ultimate Avengers was pretty good imo. It quickly goes to shit with the second arc, but the first one was a pretty entertaining blockbuster-type comic. Not as substantial as the original two Ultimates but still enjoyable.
>>
A lot parts felt rushed but I enjoyed it.
>>
>>77529551
Honestly, I wish he would've used Cloak Mode more, I had interest in that ability but it was barely used to any extent. Also the art was fairly good, both in who miles fought again, and how his enemies were designed. I just wish Miles uncle hadn't died, he felt like he could've really been a primary villain for Miles, but I understand it motivated him to not be like him, just like his Mom's death. Also holy shit was the Goblin Fight bad, Miles and Peter just wiped the floor with Norman with no worries at all. Miles using his sting to win.
>>
File: whyfractionsucks.jpg (156 KB, 1341x302) Image search: [Google]
whyfractionsucks.jpg
156 KB, 1341x302
>>
I Hate Fairyland

I can't tell if the general consensus on Preacher is bad or good here, but I liked most of it

Liefeld era X-Force
>>
>>77529839
>not muh Iron Man

I like that run. Larocca and especially D'Armatta keep it down
>>
>>77529793
>I just wish Miles uncle hadn't died, he felt like he could've really been a primary villain for Miles

Definitely. Miles didn't really have many villains of his own, and his book really suffered for it. They really should have kept his uncle around as a recurring villain. He could have been Miles' own Osborn. It would have also let Miles go at least a little while longer as a version of Spider-Man who hadn't faced any personal loss early in his career.
>>
I don't think most people really hate Fraction's Iron Man. It was just very plodding and despite interesting concepts the horrible art and slow pace kept it from being engaging. I would often actually forget to buy it.

I got the distinct feeling near the end that Fraction didn't even want to do it anymore and was doing it for the paycheck. It just seemed like it had lost its "vigor".

Bleeding Edge is still the coolest armor though.
>>
>>77529839
>Fraction wrote Iron Man as a self-hating, self-doubting, self-recriminating whining faggot
He wasn't the first to do this. Ellis basically wrote him the same way and that run was universally praised. Besides, especially after Civil War, Tony should feel kind of shitty about himself. He's a fucking mess and he always has been. Guilt has always been Tony's primary motivation.
>He pissed on each and every character - even Bethany Cabe
I honestly don't even remember what he did with Cabe in that run so I can't comment
>He pissed on his creative ability, struggling to create a "repulsor-powered" car in months, when it should be a long afternoon to him
To be far, he was more or less completely broke and had to build a company from the ground up. I don't think the engineering was ever shown as particularly difficult for Tony, he just had to secure resources
>He had him commit suicide, literally and figuratively, several times
I have no problem with this. Tony "killing" his old self happens all the time
>Having pissed on the nominally heroic characters, he then proceeded to do the same for the villains, especially the Mandarin
The Mandarin was really well-written in the Iron Man annual. Sure, it was different from previous versions of the character but the Mandarin is characterized completely differently basically every time he appears. Different writers always characterize him to their own likings and ignore prior characterizations. He is extremely lame in the final arc, but I think that that's more a problem with the final arc just being all around bad. Other villains were actually made cooler. Living Laser was dope and he actually managed to best Tony.
>He completely ignored continuity
I have no problem with this. Its the best way to write a solo book.
>He had the armor pwn hardly anybody. Which is just...basics.
I don't understand this complaint. Did he pwn too many people or too few?
>cont.
>>
spidergwen and the "mini" of gwenpool
also, ASM, invinsible ironman
>>
>>77530287
>It seems he wanted to destroy Iron Man, then rebuild him better; he got pretty far with the first one, but then it turned out he couldn't actually do the second
I think this is more a problem of the book having a really rushed ending, which I blame on Marvel editorial. I have no facts to base this on other than the way the book reads. It's all building to this confrontation with the Mandarin...and then he just gets killed off panel. I think Stark Resilient was a great "rebuilt better" story but then it was sidetracked by Fear Itself and then Fraction had to wrap up the story really quick so that the book could be relaunched for Marvel Now.
>>
>Millar's Superior
Has a very strange pace but is feels remarkably restrained for Millar. Actually pretty heartfelt and optimistic. A little silly, but a fun read. I'm not sure if /co/ hates this but I've seen a couple anons shit on it.
>Superior Spider-man
It's not great by any stretch of the imagination but it was a refreshing change of pace from the usual Spider-man shit and it had some cool moments. When Norman realizes Peter is back...just so great. Also Slott can't write Peter to save his life, so it should be obvious that his best Spider-man work doesn't feature Peter in the suit.
>>
>Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe
I thought this was a fun and interesting series. The art's not the best and it kind of fails to deliver on the promise of seeing Deadpool fight the Marvel universe (a lot of big characters get killed off-panel with no explanation as to how they were killed) but its still a good read. I also enjoyed Killustrated. Deadpool Kills Deadpool was disappointing.
>>
>>77529876
Preacher is GOAT. Well, maybe not GOAT but pretty great overall. It occasionally dipped into 2edgy4me territory, but overall the story is great and the characters are some of the most memorable in comics.
>>
>>77530535
Killustrated was by far the best book of those three, and makes the ending to the first more meaningful
>>
File: She-Hulk-2014-001-000[1].jpg (226 KB, 630x968) Image search: [Google]
She-Hulk-2014-001-000[1].jpg
226 KB, 630x968
>>77529353
/co/ likes the first two Ultimates and a lot of them have learned to love Ultimate Avengers.

I'm with you on Miles, but he really did suffered from being the only Ultimate book that anyone cared about.
>>
Bendis' Avengers. Be it Dark, New, Mighty or regular, I really enjoyed them.
>>
>>77530458
/co/ just hates Millar in general, even the comics that they haven't read.

No, actually, /co/ especially hates the comics that they haven't read.

And then /co/ avoids reading Millar's good comics because it's preferable to remain full of hatred than to have one's pre-determined opinions be challenged.
>>
>>77529353
Agent x
>>
>>77531452
/co/'s entire hate for this book can be summed up with "muh faces".

Pullido's art is not bad at all. It's pretty damn good. His layouts and compositions are on point, and he switches from nice, clean, inventive methods of paneling to brisk kirby-esque action very well.
>>
File: covers-of-Maximum-Carnage.jpg (590 KB, 607x912) Image search: [Google]
covers-of-Maximum-Carnage.jpg
590 KB, 607x912
>>
>>77535109
This is one of the first comics I ever owned. I saved up for the paperback. I loved it as a kid, not so much anymore. I still have a soft spot for it and I think its pretty enjoyable in a silly fun kinda way, but man it really did not age well.
>>
>>77530458
I feel like Slott only knows how to write SPIDER-MAN, if you ask him to write Peter Parker then he'll try but not succeed because isn't really all that invested in that part of the character.
I am on the same level that I did enjoy Superior Spider-Man, I even enjoyed when it was handled by other writers. For they were able to make the concept kind of work a bit better.
For what's it worth I enjoyed the first superior and second Superior suits, they were cool.
>>
>>77530287
Also Fraction was working with about a decade of Tony essentially being turned into a fucking villain that he had to undo.
>>
>>77535686
I think the insane fan reaction to Superior drove Slott off the deep end and made him write everything with "hm, I wonder how angry people will get on Twitter about this?" in mind.

It was near the end of Superior that the book really just went in the trashcan. It's like all he thinks of now is being controversial, and by "controversial" I mean "pretending to be retarded".
>>
>>77529353
>Fraction's Iron Man
There are so freaking many mean things I want to say to you right now.
>>
>>77538298
I want to say mean things to you for using the word "freaking." Are you in middle school?
>>
>>77529353
>Fraction's Iron Man
binge reading it is where is at
it was a chore to read monthly
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.