[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adventure Time Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 960.jpg (51 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
51 KB, 960x540
Called it. AV Club didn't like it too much because, long story short, it wasn't too serious.

http://www.avclub.com/review/adventure-time-stakes-slays-marcelines-demons-with-228306

>[...]The miniseries is at its strongest when it looks at vampirism as a metaphor for depression, but that aspect of the narrative only comes into play at the beginning and end. The middle episodes don’t push the metaphor as heavily, instead featuring more straightforward plots where Marceline and her vampire-slaying friends go after each of her demons one-by-one. Those chapters are still plenty entertaining, particularly because the writers incorporate lots of comedy into the vampire hunt, but they lack the substance of the episodes that more directly address how these mythical beings relate to Marceline’s mental and emotional state.[...]

>Unfortunately, it’s Muto and Nyström’s only episode and they have lots of ground to cover in 10 minutes, so these flashbacks are just quick snapshots of Marceline’s formative experiences. Rushing through those past events is a missed opportunity to offer a more comprehensive look at where Marceline comes from and how those circumstances have shaped her, and Stakes loses steam when it moves away from the introspective personal elements of the past to detail Marceline and her friends’ vampire hunting adventure in the present.

Do you agree with them, /co/?
>>
Rebecca Sugar's heavy stamp on the writing of the show during season 3 and 4 was a mistake. Now people always that specific aspect made by the writer because it was the most impactful, so that they start either ignoring or hating other aspects that made Adventure Time interesting in the first place.
>>
>>77520325
god im so glad I stopped visiting the av club

how can you be so self important when you review cartoons for a living?
>>
>>77520325
I don't agree with them but I see the point of view they are coming from.

They were expecting it to be more of a Marceline's origins story with tons of sentimental and emotional events that formed the character that way it is now, but instead was for the most part closer to what you could expect from a s1-2 episodes with some occasional feel moments in it.

For what it is I really loved it (last episode and some bad songs aside), especially after the clusterfuck that was season 6.
>>
>>77520325
>Marceline's character arc was weak
>villains with great potential turned out super weak
>Finn was useless
>Jake was annoying
>literally status quo the song
disappointment/10
>>
>>77520766
Maybe you should try not getting triggered so easily.
>>
>>77520325
The last part about the flashbacks is so damn true, they really should've gave more time to flashbacks about marceline and her mom or some other flashbacks and not just rush them into the second episode
>>
File: tumblr_nxxzdyT4IT1qi9tajo1_1280.png (401 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxxzdyT4IT1qi9tajo1_1280.png
401 KB, 600x800
>>
>>77520766
Are you a legit racist or something? I'm annoyed by Tumblr's shenanigans too but as far as I'm concerned the inclusion of a black character is the bare minimum as far as 'pandering' goes. There was no grand social commentary there beyond "black people exist(ed) and this one fucked a demon".
>>
>>77520766
It's funny, because you are reacting just how Tumblr would react for something like that.
>>
>>77520766

What made you think Marceline was white?
>>
>>77520849
My beautiful angel.
>>
>>77520849
Wew, great artwork m8, tumblr source?
>>
>>77520766
WHO THE FUCK CARES
>>
>>77520971
http://ededdneddy.co.vu/post/133382955637/stakes-is-good-shit
>>
I don't give a shit about the plot, Marceline's hair was good.
>>
>>77520325
I'm just disappointed they ruined that outfit by giving her that shitty haircut.
>>
>>77520989
Thanks bruv
>>
AV Club is a lot closer to the adult audience's expectation of the show rather than someone who would accept the show for what it is. "Adult" fans of the show prefer plot storytelling and lore over solid jokes and sense of adventure, and in that point of view Stakes didn't shine so well.

Stakes was a lot better in taking the sense of adventure and fun from the former seasons, while still having some of the stuff that characterized Marceline during the past 3 seasons.
>>
File: Marcelines_mother.png (18 KB, 168x128) Image search: [Google]
Marcelines_mother.png
18 KB, 168x128
>>77520865
Look at this tiny family picture! They retconned it to pander to tumblrs!
>>
>>77521081
agreed.

i hate the attitude a lot of adult cartoon viewers have that the show must cater to them. they aren't the target demo anymore - the creators care about their older audience, but they'll always prioritize what they know the kids want.
>>
>>77520766
Man-celene was voiced by a negro.
Nobody with Glover's voice could be all white.
>>
>>77521093
>tiny photograph that was clearly just used in a background shot.
not sure if baiting or not.
>>
I'm fine with people disliking continuity and progression, when there's a reason.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy had humor.
Courage the cowardly dog had weird mysteries and visuals.
Superjail! wasn't very funny, but it had those crazy action sequences.
Even the lamest episodes of South Park made a point and took a stance on real life issues (sometimes being wrong).
Who cares if the plot doesn't go forward in those.

But here, what does AT offer?
Early on, it was NOVELTY, but that can't last forever.
So what does it have now?
I thought it had progression, but no.
Is it the humor? The action? They both seem pretty subdued. Does it have a message?

Watching it, to me, at this point, seems a bit pointless.

Now I understand that I should not expect things to change from the basic formula and I won't watch it for that element anymore, this being said, I have no reasons left to follow it.

I'll just stop watching, wait until something interesting pops up in the future. As things are now, the faint hope of a continuity was the only thing drawing me to the show.
>>
>>77520325
How the fuck are people wanting more backstory for Marceline? She's gotten the most out of any character in the show and is still getting more, it's gotten to the point where her backstory is much more important than she herself is.

I'm so glad they only delve into the backstory a little bit, that helps keep it more interesting and provide much more time for the characters to do stuff in the present day (something I give a shit about a whole lot more than the 20th Marceline backstory episode).
I can see how people can be sad that it wasn't a feelsfest like Sugar's episodes, but she left 3 years ago, get over it. Plus that part with her mom was short but sweet enough for me.
>>
>>77520766
Tumblr pandering is annoying, but the mere existence of black people in fiction isn't pandering.
>>
>>77521149
>implying early AT was only good for novelty
And at this point it's literally the plot (HAH!) or the characters (who have all degraded from their older forms) that keep people interested in the show man. If you don't care about those then it probably is in your best interest to drop it.
>>
Stakes 5 and 6 is out? Links where, hombres?
>>
>>77521222
It leaked a while ago along with the rest of em man. I don't have em but if you ask around I'm sure someone will get em for you.
>>
>>77521081
But the show has never shined in lore or storytelling anyway. It's a hot mess, frequently on par with or worse than a tween's fanfiction. I can't believe people watch it for that when that's so incredibly detached from what made the show good in the first place.
>>
>>77521149
What AT had was inventiveness and creativity

Finn and Jake would run into a situation that played on and subverted concepts, many times inspired by western fantasy. To make it better there were neat little snippets of lore and progression with the characters.

But then they ran out of ideas so became side character#23647 quirkiness is because of some uninteresting reason so must have journey to change, but never actually chang0 ethe main cast
>>
>>77520865
>>77520865
The fact that she's, I dunno, WHITE? You could argue that it's from her demon site, only, you know, her dad isn't white, he's greenish.

You could argue it's from her vampirism, but, you know, they showed that she was white prior to her turning.

So in what crazy universe does green+brown = paper white?
>>
>>77521399
She's grey
>>
>>77521399
I guess you could pin it on black magic :^]
>>
>>77521120
Half of one
>>
>>77521322
Honestly, if the story telling isn't what made it good in the first place than it was never good. Adventure Time has never once told a joke, the humor is entirely reliant on silly words, it has the simplest art style in the entire world and the animation is still trash. Adventure Time is such a let down because it feels like all the pieces are there, it's just that no one ever bothered to put them together correctly. I feel like the entire show could have and should have been like Mortal Recoil and Mortal Folly. If I were the show runner of Adventure Time, I would have made the main "story" be about Finn and Jake trekking across The Land of Ooo in pursuit of the Lich, righting the wrongs he created in the various kingdoms along the way.
>>
>>77521399
This. I don't care about the whole race thing but it is a little odd and sort of takes you out the moment. If her skin was darker then I'd say yeah whatever but this really just seems like they stuck it in for tumblr.

In the end though it doesn't mater as the show has bigger problems and has for a while
>>
>>77521472
>monster of the week
>better than quaint snippets of the surreal and absurd
This is why you aren't a writer. I bet they'd have you on the show these days though.
>>
>>77521472
Nigger get your trash taste out of my sight, early Adventure Time was legitimately one of the funniest shows ever. Not the absolute greatest, but still good. Though since your idea of a good show is making a more poorly drawn Avatar copy I shouldn't expect much from your taste.
The jokes used to be so much greater than any attempt at lore; Mortal Folly/Recoil wasn't good because of the lore but because of the sudden spectacle and introducing a serious new villain to the series. Same reason people dug that Simon Marcy shit so much, not for the lore but for the FEELZ and shit.

The lore was never good and that just became more apparent as each of these things return over and over again and get less effective every time they do so.
>>
File: Jontron.gif (726 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Jontron.gif
726 KB, 300x168
>all this talk about Marceline's mom being black
>>
>>77521556
>>77521529
Eh, whatever you say man. Your show is dying anyway.
>>
>>77521556
>Same reason people dug that Simon Marcy shit so much
TRASH TASTE
R
A
S
H

T
A
S
T
E

Simon and Marcy was the sign of the end times. Feels are for faggots and frogposters, just like 'comfy'. You can enjoy it a little but those that worship/ seek feels don't deserve to voice their opinion.
>>
>>77521582
My show's been dead for years son, but Imma still defend the honor it once had, a long long time ago.
>>
>>77521582
>your show
M8 it's not been my show for an awfully long time. Just because you have shit taste doesn't make mine shit too.
>>
>>77521608
Why are you so butthurt over an incredibly vague description of a hypothetical format for the show?
>>
>>77520850
I think he's annoyed since Marceline looks "white", but his argument makes no sense because she's half demon and also a vampire.
>>
>>77521593
I didn't even give my opinion on it, was just saying that when people watched those episodes they weren't saying "These episodes were good because they made the Marceline and Ice King timelines so much more nuanced and interesting!" They were going "IM DROWNING IN MY TEARS BLUBLUBLOO" and other annoying words.

IRY was half baked, song was horribly butchered. S&M was great and a fitting note for Sugar to leave on.
>>
>>77521630
Monster of the week is literally the most done, over played format. It's like white paint on a white canvas. Monster of the week is the idea you have when you have no idea.
It can be done well sure, but so too can any idea. Execution is a whole thing all of its own.
>>
>>77521668
He didn't say "monster of the week" faggot.
>>
>the vampires are named after tarot cards
The writers need to lay off the JoJo
>>
>>77521707
>Anime only fag detected
First, noone cares you've seen jojo calm down
Second, stop being casual as fuck and just read the manga
Third, Tarot has been done by every one and also far before jojo
Fourth, I hope you only post shit on /co/ I don't want you shitting up P4 threads
>>
>>77521707
More like Bidning of Isaac
Maybe they were pissed off the new DLC sucked like everyone else was
>>
>>77521751
Why are you so angry? I'm sorry your favorite show was never good and has only gotten worse, Anon.
>>
>>77521751
Chill out, it was a joke
Also I've read the manga. I don't know where you got the idea I was anime-only
>>
>>77521399
Maybe people of Hunson's bloodline start off white and have their skin color in with age, but because Marceline never got older, she never changed.
>>
>>77521849
Anime only fags are often the ones who are super stoked they're in the crew and are now as such still into the gimmick that is crossovers and references in other media. Further they also talk about the most recent part they've seen. In this case SDC.
I will forgive you if you list the parts from best to worst in a favourable order.
>>
>Adventure Time has so many episodes and most of them are shit that when decent episodes come out people automatically say the series is bad
It doesn't take a genius to say that Adventure Time went to shit a long time ago. I'm not saying Stakes is 10/10, but it was a delightful miniseries, at least compared to the recent episodes we got.
>>
I'm enjoying this so far. I've only seen the first 6 of Stakes so far, but I like it
>>
"What happened to your pants?"
"Uh..."
My fucking sides
>>
>>77521948
7>4>6>2>3>5>1
>>
>>77523279
patrician taste
t
b
h
>>
>>77521150
Well, it's half the Bubbleline camp who thinks they're going to have a sweeping canonization soon, and then there's the people who see her as black because of her mother, and thus think she's the most important character on the show.
>>
Flanderization of a character. Fuck Sugar.
>>
File: poo horse.jpg (35 KB, 584x400) Image search: [Google]
poo horse.jpg
35 KB, 584x400
>>77521472
Adventure Time has never had many traditional set up/punch line jokes but the first two seasons were fucking hilarious (especially season 1). I don't care what you say. It's the charm. The surreal charm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdbkylKQ0aw
>>
>>77521707
By that you mean Jodorowksy, right?
>>
>>77521472
That would be really shit and gay, though.

What the show really needs to do is abandon "lore" and "continuity" and all that wank and concentrate on self-dependent, funny, thinky, cute, visually great episodes. They really really need to focus on the last one in particular. Visually its gotten a bit lazy, which is a shame
>>
>>77521593
I Remember You was a brilliant start to the Simon Marcy shit, but it got fucked up.
>>
>>77524499
>cartoons should have no story, instead focusing on action filled and hilarious sequences that do not relate to each other in any way
ok
>>
Anyone got links to the episodes?
>>
>>77524499
Maybe if the entire original staff was axed. They're tapped out.
>>
>>77524757
literally google "watch adventure time"
>>
>>77524855
>streaming
Enjoy your pixilated sub 480p video
>>
>>77524892
Hey, senpai, seeing as no one clued you in, the episodes were leaked in 360p. If you want higher quality, go stick your dick in your eye and time travel to the future where proper rips exist.
>>
>>77524744
If each episode has a good self-contained story to support the jokes and action, I don't see a problem.

One of the ironic problems of modern AT is the overarching continuity gives the writers an excuse to not put much effort into each 11 minute block. Numerous episodes only justify their existence by furthering (or even just barely mentioning) some random plotline that didn't matter anyway in the end. For Adventure Time lore is POISON.
>>
>>77525025
I fully agree with you. But I believe that relation, in small doses, can do wonders for cartoons. Adventure Time is a whole 'nother beast because of how fucked up it is, though.
>>
>>77525022
>future
>two episodes came out yesterday

Alright. I guess no one has uploaded any future videos from yesterday.
>>
You people are so angry, oh my god.

At this point the charm of the show for me is that it's always changing and going in new directions. S1 and S2 were fun and bizarre and more original for sure, but would you want seven seasons of that? I wouldn't. It would get stale after a while.

The show is growing up, and it's doing so along with Finn, going through very similar changes to those he himself is going through. I think there's charm to that, even if Finn and Jake are getting central spots less and less. They're style the most catalytic characters in the series. Sort of how Max was in Fury Road, even though Furiosa was for all intents and purposes the MC of that film.
>>
>>77525115
All eight episodes are on multiple torrent sites. The mega links got taken down sadly.
>>
>>77525075
I agree we should have more plot-driven cartoons in general. But if the AT writers are just normal young art-student people and they suck this much at writing, what does that say about the talent pool?
>>
>>77525138
>You people are so angry, oh my god.

Y-you too.
>>
>>77520325
This is why adults who watch childrens' cartoons should be treated as second class citizens.
>>
>>77525178
Did that come off angry? Sorry mang. I was just giving my 2 cents.
>>
>>77525138
The characters who're squeezing out Finn and Jake are less interesting than Finn and Jake could be, if more than token efforts were put into their character development. That's why I hate it. I can abstractly appreciate the message of how the protagonists aren't the center of the universe. But they're the fucking protagonists.
>>
>no Hunson in a week of Marceline
If not this week then fucking WHEN
>>
File: PB.png (105 KB, 381x360) Image search: [Google]
PB.png
105 KB, 381x360
Pretty nice animation desu
>>
File: 1311518431968.jpg (23 KB, 309x281) Image search: [Google]
1311518431968.jpg
23 KB, 309x281
>The miniseries is at its strongest when it looks at vampirism as a metaphor for depression
Are there seriously people who watch cartoons like this? Going into a show and being upset that it doesn't spoon feed them community college level psychology/philosophy with metaphors
>instead featuring more straightforward plots where Marceline and her vampire-slaying friends go after each of her demons one-by-one
Oh wow some form of adventure in a show called "Adventure Time"
Let's ignore how its finally showing some early signs of post war humans and how vampirism in general works in this world, not enough feels and stuff to remind me of my own problems
BOO HOO
>>
Why does every cartoon need to have dykes these days.
>>
>>77525588
Sea levels are rising family
>>
>>77525599
But Finn is both a hetero man and scared of the ocean.

Seriously though, why the sudden Bubbline pushing? Riding off of Korra's shitty coat tails?
>>
Never watch cartoons.
Should I watch this show?
Can I masturbate to it?
>>
>>77525769
If you want. Yes.
>>
>>77525769
Eh, there are some semi-decent waifus but it depends on your tastes. Personally I can't fap to the AT noodle arm artstyle
>>
>>77523638
>and then there's the people who see her as black because of her mother, and thus think she's the most important character on the show.
Literally who thinks this? I have not seen anybody say anything like this. Why do you make stupid shit up?
>>
>>77525177
They don't "suck" at writing. They still regularly turn out with great episodes. They just have yonky, convoluted continuity sensibilities than need ironing out. Even then, some continuity episodes can be great (e.g. the recent Graybles)
>>
>>77525959
Is this the first time you've seen idiots on 4chan pull retarded shit out their ass? Have you even read the rest of this thread?
>>
File: IMG_20131215_153109.jpg (2 MB, 1620x2404) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131215_153109.jpg
2 MB, 1620x2404
>>77521399
>>77521439
Kek
>>
What the hell is with all this bubbline shit lately Are these writers seriously putting them together.

I thought PB liked Finn?
>>
>>77526933
>I thought PB liked Finn?
the majority of the writers now maintain that she definitely does not.
>>
>>77525893
that's what fanart is for, friend
>>
>>77527035
How so? Does Finn still like her?
>>
>>77526933
>I thought PB liked Finn?
No
>>
>>77527035
That's a shame. They had decent chemistry.
>>
>>77527071
Of course, of course. But their relationship is usually business-like at best. He would have to grow up enough to completely change how she sees him -- still not sure whether that's the end game or if Finn's stagnation will prevent it.
>>
File: tumblr_nxz9da9hs41ubh258o1_1280.png (492 KB, 852x954) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxz9da9hs41ubh258o1_1280.png
492 KB, 852x954
>>
File: 0.jpg (68 KB, 380x503) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
68 KB, 380x503
>>77521399
>>77521502
Dude, she is part demon, even before bing a vampire. All rule of genetic fly out of the window.

As a matter of fact, when it come to actual genetic, rules ten to also flow through the window from time to time. See pic.

> I don't care about the whole race thing
Yes you do. You have to if a the skin color of a demon's offspring is all you need to be triggered. It has nothing to do with Tumblr. It's just a normal spic mom depicted being normal (who also fucked a demon).
>>
>>77521322
>It's a hot mess
The fuck are you talking about, so far, it's fucking great.
>>
>>77527153
He's almost 1 doesn't she have any attraction towards? Even in the stakes episode she acted way more casual around Marceline compare to him. She even blushed around her.

I don't get it are they just riding the SU and Korra thing? Or was Bubbline actually planed?
>>
>>77526933
PB never "liked" Finn that way. She treated him like a kid because he was a kid and Finn misinterpreted her playfulness. It is even doubtful that PB had ever had any romantic interests in anyone, she seems rather asexual and technically probably is.

It has been established that PB and Marcy are long-time friends, and, both being pseudo-immortal, share a rich history. There are sentiments between them that may be construed as sexual tension, this is an ambitious interpretation at best.
>>
>>77527228
>>
>>77527228
>She even blushed around her.
She actually didn't, those were Tree scratches.
>>
>>77527228
Bubbline has existed since at least as long as the singing door episode.
>>
>>77527244
>It is even doubtful that PB had ever had any romantic interests in anyone
There is a whole episode dedicated to PepperMint buttle rdeseperate to find a consort for PB, so you might be right.
>>
>>77527261
They're talking bout PB
>>
>>77527261
In the stakes episode 7 and 8 woman was blushing. first blush was after Marceline called her nice, second blush was after Marceline said they will be hanging out together forever.
>>
>>77527328
Fuck, don't spoil. I a waiting to actually see it in HD.
>>
>>77527282
And it was misconstrued there, too.

>>77527289
Frankly this is all obvious Korrasami coat tail riding. Gotta earn those progressive points!
>>
>>77527180
I don't get why there's so much more racism on 4chan all of a sudden. I feel like over all all the boards have gotten to this brimming, foaming at the mouth hate.

Maybe I've been here to long. I dunno.
>>
>>77527282
Yeah but it never had this much screen time. I mean Sky Witch may of had subtext but Varmints and Stakes her puking Bubbline hints.
>>
>>77527360
>Frankly this is all obvious Korrasami coat tail riding. Gotta earn those progressive points!
The fuck? It has nothing to do with that. Fuck, it has never even be confirmed. It's just the writer making the story they want to tell.

Fuck, I can't believe I am saying this, but I miss the day Kataang and Makora. At least back, then people actually admitted they whined because their favourite ship wasn't the one made canon.

Nowadays, when one's ship is being threatened, they blame it on SJW or the patriarchy and refuse to admit they are just butthurt THEIR ship isn't the one being picked...
>>
>>77527384
*are
>>
>>77527228
>doesn't she have any attraction towards?
Meh, why would she? She and he have very little in common. I don't like to blame Finn for things but he has a harmful obsession at this point. It'd be best if the lezzing was even more blatant, to break him of this girl.
>>
>>77527374
4channers just tend to be anti-establishment as fuck. Someone pointed out once how much more left-leaning things used to be here when Bush was president, but now the cool thing to do is be a conservatard.
>>
>>77527228
>>77527384
Here is a thing I don't get. For Korrasami, the major complain is that it came out of nowhere and was nowhere hinted.

I don't know if Bubbleline is going to be a thing (or was in the past), but now people are complaining that it's being hinted?

Does the hint need hints firsts to be legit hints? Do we require an infinite chain of hints?
>>
>>77527471
I don't care about ships, anon, but between this, Steven Universe and LoK it's pretty obvious that lesbians are trending right now.

>>77527510
In my case it's because leftists have royally screwed the pooch.

>>77527526
I'll make it clear to you why I care, anon.

I don't like yuri.
>>
>>77527510
Not sure if it's a fad. Maybe it's because I'm not white but I popped in over on /pol/ and I understand how there's going to be hate anywhere you go in the world but /pol/ it's just mind numbing 24/7 hate. I don't even think the racist people I know are that racist.

Last time I was on /pol/ though was 06 or 07

Maybe it's because of all the shit going down in France or something but man.
>>
>>77527473
Then what was the point with Burning Low?

Wait an anon said something once about Marceline in Bad Little Boy, and how her fan fiction was a way to boost her confidence or something.

Were FP and PB rivals? Was PB only interested in Finn because he was at FP side? And she wanted him by her side all because of power and infatuation? If so what a bitch.
>>
File: 0.jpg (36 KB, 206x297) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
36 KB, 206x297
>>77527551
>it's pretty obvious that lesbians are trending right now.
Here is a thing, anon, Lesbians have always been trendy.

I refuse to ever complain of a show with lesbian.

there was a time when 4chan praised Japan for putting so much lesbians in their show.
>I don't like yuri.
>>
File: page0010_l.jpg (202 KB, 770x1100) Image search: [Google]
page0010_l.jpg
202 KB, 770x1100
>>77527551
>I don't like yuri

Poor taste
>>
was it known that the King of Ooo was ear wax?
>>
>>77527642
>Then what was the point with Burning Low?
We might never know.

You see, Flame Princess was being written by Rebecca Sugar. Then she seized the opportunity to make her own show, so she left AT. The rest of the team didn't knew how to handle FP, so they broke them up. in the worst way possible.
>>
>>77527644
>>77527670

Hey man, sorry, but once you meet real world lesbians you simply can't enjoy it. That said, I wasn't all that into yuri to begin with, despite being a straight dude.

I just don't like stories about gay people. I don't like to force it and stay away from places where those stories are told. But now it's creeping into everything.
>>
>>77527593
Nah, that's just /pol/. Ignore those kind of extremes, they don't speak much to or against the trends of a whole. They're all, for whatever reason, just trying to say the thing that gets the maximum response. A mix of people who masturbate to the tears of others and people who are so insecure they need to be the center of negative attention.

If you've been around since '06, then surely you've noticed how 4chan as a whole suddenly flipped from anti-conservative to anti-liberal the moment liberals seized power.
>>
>>77527526
There were hints for Korrasami. They were incredibly suitable but they were their. It took me a while.

Bubbline though is becoming heavily hinted. Stakes pretty much put them in the roles of an Hero and Heroine that are in classic action and horror films.
>>
>>77520325
Isn't AVclub the place that gives every episode of Gotham a D- because it doesn't have Batman?
>>
>>77527755
>They were incredibly suitable but they were their.
>suitable
>their
autocorrect?
>>
>>77527755
>muh subtle hints
Shit was done badly.
>>
>>77527701
Which is pretty much admitting that Sugar wanted FP with Finn. Damn they need to get them together again.
>>
File: tumble er.png (497 KB, 533x551) Image search: [Google]
tumble er.png
497 KB, 533x551
>>77527642
She was worried that Finn dating FP would cause havoc and felt bad for him because she thought he couldn't be with her
>>
>>77527726
>but once you meet real world lesbians
>implying people on /co/ meet real people or have a social life
where do you think you are?
>I just don't like stories about gay people. I don't like to force it and stay away from places where those stories are told. But now it's creeping into everything.
It's usually not more forced than most romance done in action shows. Just consider it a normal thing. if you can deal with cheap straight romance in action show, you should handle just as well gay romance. It's not creeping into everything, it's being normalized, that's it.
>>
>>77527789
Yes, but it was there. watching the whole series made me realize they were recycling Makorra and Masami moments that weren't kissing ones.
>>77527776
Yup.
>>
>>77527751
Oh yeah, it's there.

Not sure how long it's going to be here. It's nice to lurk and idle on boards like this, /tg/, /lit/, /a/ to a degree.
>>
File: likelike.jpg (21 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
likelike.jpg
21 KB, 800x450
>>77527642
>Then what was the point with Burning Low?
Some stuff that doesn't matter anymore because Rebecca Sugar is gone.

>Were FP and PB rivals?
Yeah I think so. Sugar's PB was more softhearted and cared deeply about Finn. She could be jealous over him. Which sounds ridiculous now -- PB is way too cold to feel that way about him. But remember the sweater of true love that saved Finn's life?
>I'm not that good at knitting, but...take this. I care about you, Finn...
>>
>>77527803
>Tumblr

wasn't that from a Bubbline thing?
>>
>>77527823
It is being infinitely more forced, with previously straight characters suddenly coming out as gay/bi. It is so annoying.
>>
>>77527726
You haven't met the right real world lesbians/bis

And hey, I honestly don't often like stories about straight romances, but I have to stomach it all the fuckin time
>>
>>77527833
>Yeah I think so. Sugar's PB was more softhearted and cared deeply about Finn. She could be jealous over him.
PB was never written jealous, though. In burning low, she was just afraid FP would blown up the world and was trying to prevent it. Jake misunderstood it.
>>
>>77527833
She cared about him but, she never loved him it seems.
>>
>>77527860
It honestly isn't. And it's in no way more annoying than straight romance in action series.

It's also not "forced" it's simply what the writer want to do.
>>
So in stakes

Marceline = Hero

and

PB = Heroine

What does that make Finn and Jake?
>>
>>77527863
My little sister is a dyke. I see a lot of them.

There are specific boards for that. There are specific goddamn sub genres for that. Do you know how much shit would fly if 4chan added a /het/ board?

>>77527898
What the writer wants to do isn't always what's natural, especially in a series with various writers.
>>
>>77527860
> It is so annoying

> Fake people with fake relationships
> Acting like it matters who or what they fuck

Your just pissed you self-insert fap fic is even more bogus
>>
>>77527842
The pics on the left were from burning low, and the ones on the right from varmints are providing context for where PB may have been coming from in that chat with Finn
>>
>>77527912
Finn's a foil and Jake's a damsel in distress.
>>
>>77527860
>>77527863
The thing is, I don't thing people noticed how cheap romance tended to be in action-oriented stories, as if they were added to the side, when it was straight.

When it started being gay, it's like the critical sense of the audience was knocked up to eleven and suddenly, they could see how what are basically side-plots was superficially done.

Maybe Gay has the secret power to transform a basic audience into sophisticated connoisseurs.
>>
>>77527868
It was both. She went and cried in her diary like a 16 year old, remember? Also she was pouty in response to Jake's teasing. Plus that whole scene on the hill where Finn blasts her for leading him on when they couldn't really be together was legit. It wasn't supposed to mean he misinterpreted everything.
>>
>>77527931
It's not like people get invested in stories or anything.

And yeah, I'm man enough to admit that. I can't really identify with a gay girl or guy so the relationship and emotions within are lost on me.

>>77527953
I think it's more that gay stuff tends to target a specific audience.
>>
>>77527920
>What the writer wants to do isn't always what's natural
But in this case, it is. And it's still not forced.

Fuck, PB and Marceline aren't even confirmed.

You know what the worst part is? No matter if Finn end up with PB or PB end up with Marceline, I will have to deal with tons of butt-hurt people complaining about the SJW/Patriarchy agenda. Fuck.
>>
>>77527934
Yeah, but its clearly pushing Bubbline since its indicting that PB may be thinking of Marceline while speaking to Finn. Especially when she said "I pushed you away" to Marceline in Varmints.
>>
>>77528003
How is it natural? Tell me. I think you're seeing what you want to see.

Welcome to the human race, baby. Can't please everyone.
>>
>>77527982
>tends to target a specific audience.
It really doesn't. I mean, Straight fiction can be enjoyed by gay, the inverse is true too.
>>
>>77527874
She loved him as much as she could for an asexual barbie-crotch.
>>
>>77527956
>She went and cried in her diary like a 16 year old, remember?
I remember Finn crying, not PB. What episode?
>>
>>77527982
> I can't really identify with a gay girl or guy so the relationship and emotions within are lost on me

That is the dumbest reason not to like something ever. Stories are suppose to show you what life is like for others and to see the world through a different pair of eyes. All you want is a mirror to look at yourself and see how great you are.
>>
>>77528043
Demographics can overlap, yes. But they don't always and aren't always intended to.
>>
>>77527956
Maybe she just didn't want to be alone. She is immortal and anyone that she considers a friend is dear to her. Also maybe after whatever the hell went on with her and Marceline she's become possessive but guarded to people close to her.
>>
>>77527956
If that was true I think PB would have been affected by Finn's outburst but she barely gave a shit. She blankly started at him, noticed the paper, and freaked out about Flame Princess.
>>
>>77528031
>How is it natural?
Gay is theorised to have developed out of a counter for over-population, as a well as a way for the gay sibling to take care of the children of the straight people, more adult taking care of less offspring giving better chance for the genes of the family to be transmitted.
>>
I think the whole thing was a lesson in how the whole 11 minute format doesn't work for everything.
>>
>>77528006
Yee, that's why I posted it
>>
>>77528061
How much this drive in movie costing me? Because that is some top tier projection right there.

It's not "wanting to look at yourself and see how great you are". It's "being able to empathize and relate to the struggles of these characters and be drawn in deeper by their conflicts". And as said, I can't really relate to that. I can't relate or understand how a gay woman feels about her lover and I can't really understand what would make a man love another man in a romantic way.

Brain just ain't built that way.

>>77528110
I'm not talking about gayness being natural. I was talking about it being natural for the characters.
>>
File: burning_low_title_card.jpg (473 KB, 1024x578) Image search: [Google]
burning_low_title_card.jpg
473 KB, 1024x578
>>77528060
Checked, she's only actually crying in the title card. Over pictures of him, even, like he did over hers.
>>
>This song hasn't defined AT in years

http://youtu.be/qEJ4spdiTxw
>>
>>77527939
I think its the other way around dude. Jake was way more useful in this.
>>
I actually dislike Bubbline the way some people dislike Korrasami.

Korrasami at least gets actual confirmation.

Bubbline is meant to be ambiguous. It could be romantic love, or it could be a very deep platonic attachment.

It's just basic queer-baiting to get as many viewers as possible.
>>
>>77528031
>How is it natural? Tell me.
Story wise? Well, if Bubbline actually become a thing, it will be natural as this is a relationship that has actually been hinted and developed before it actually come to be. Lots of romance story, even for straight romance, aren't developed that well.

So yeah, if it happens it will naturally develop in the flow of the story. If it actually happens, it has never ever been confirmed so far.

diliking a show for a "maybe" is a bit stretching it.
>>
>>77528067
It's being written for everyone. Nothing forbid for a gay romance to be intended for a wide audience.
>>
>>77528125
Wow, That was in season 4 right? Danm they were pushing Bubbline all along. Poor Finn. Dude needs to let go.
>>
>>77528138
Titles card are not canon though, especially in Adventure Time, where they are designed specifically to always be deceptive in some way and mislead the audience.
>>
>>77528138
That card was so misleading.
>>
>>77528204
I am aware. I just wish I'd have known upfront. Same with manga that go "SUDDENLY YURI". That ain't what I signed up for.

>>77528180
Bubblegum and Marceline barely interact, don't feed me that horseshit.
>>
>>77528165
Dude Varmints kind of went beyond the typical queerbaiting. People in the studio do ship them.
>>
>>77528212
Well, I don't know if they were actually thinking of bubbline with that line (even though sugar worked on that episode) or if she was just saying that without thinking of anyone in particular
>>
>>77528227
She still gets fussy with her diary on her bed, in the episode. She just doesn't weep. It wasn't strictly a business thing. She was emotionally butthurt.
>>
>>77528248
We actually got a tease of their past in stakes episode 8. There might be an ep about it soon.
>>
>>77528165
>It's just basic queer-baiting to get as many viewers as possible.
Or maybe it's not needed to spell things out.

So far, everything we have seen has only show they are good friends and it's how they have been written. Most of the Shipping come from people actually wanting them to be together.

People will keep calling it "baiting" up until they actually say out low "We are not lover, we are only very good friends", but the thing is, doing THAT actually would be forced and coming out of nowhere and only written for the sake of the audience, instead of naturally writing them has trusting friends.
>>
>>77528264
I buy into Sugar meaning it about both Bubbline and PB/Finn. Sugar created Bubbline but was pretty invested as Fubblegum as well, I think.

Plus it would be really weird if that was just PB totally projecting her issues on Marcy to Finn.
>>
Are they ded? ;_;
>>
>>77528248
>I just wish I'd have known upfront.
One of the big stuff about writing romance is precisely to surprise the audience.
>>
>>77528095
She's an autismo, is all. If she hadn't cared she wouldn't have bothered to break it to him so gently. That's a courtesy she would never give him in this day and age
>>
>>77528303
They hadn't interacted at all until this, really. That's my point. You can't really say this was a well written turn out or a natural evolution when they are being featured together specifically to get together.

>>77528352
Not really.
>>
>>77528302
Her diary actually contained note about FP.
>>
>>77528316
Then please explain the blushing and hints and also the picture in the closet jokes.

Actually lately I've been catching a lot of lesbian jokes between these two. Snapbacks, Picture in the closet, them actually in a closet. Marceline wearing an football jacket and Pepbut acting like an overprotective father.
>>
>>77528331
Nope
>>
>>77528381
>Not really.
Yes really. Even with straight romance, there is a tendency wit the writer to go "bet you didn't saw that coming, eh?"
>>
>>77528324
She also drew Finn and Marcy kissing didn't she? Sugar is a huge fuckin poly shipper. Explains why so many different ships are being played with in SU too
>>
>>77528324
But it makes a lot of sense if you put it together. Marcie and Finn are actually quite similar to each other, its just Marceline now wants to grow up.
>>
>>77528409
There's two different things you're thinking of.

There's shock value which is what you're describing.

Then there's actually developing the goddamn relationship.
>>
>>77528381
>That's my point. You can't really say this was a well written turn out or a natural evolution when they are being featured together specifically to get together.
Except that's not the case. There has been plenty of episodes where things have been done ambiguously.

Also, you complain about
>featured together specifically to get together.
make no sense. It's the exact same kind of deal with straight romance.
>>
>>77528381
They interacted in Sky Witch.
>>
>>77528424
>SU
>Ships
Isn't it basically just Connie and Steven?
>>
>>77528436
>Then there's actually developing the goddamn relationship.
There has been tons of build up for Bubbleline, though.
>>
>>77528424
Yeah but I'm not sure Sugar ever put any actual Finnceline shit into the show, by the time she got to Marceline she was more into her backstory.
Though there was the end part of It Came from the Nightosphere that I always thought seemed kind of romantic, with he two of them laying there and the little angelic singing going on. Was very sweet.
>>
File: yes this is official art.jpg (137 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
yes this is official art.jpg
137 KB, 1080x1080
It was at least a 8/10 for fun storytelling and good villains alone. The lame poetry slam was my largest complaint.

Also ass.
>>
>>77528467
I feel she was testing out different parings, until one of them just felt natural.
>>
>>77528466

>>77528454
But not extensively. I'd be fine with this if it was like "Yeah they were bros but figured they want the V". I wouldn't like it but I'd admit it was a natural progression. This, however, isn't. This all seems like the writers really want Bubbline so they figured out what they'd have to do to get it.

Goddamn you all have your shipping goggles primed.
>>
>>77528460
That's the most straight up one, but there's lots of pairings outside of the canon ones that are pretty darn shippable-
>pearl/amethyst
>pealr/garnet
>pearl/rose
>steven/lapis
>steven/peridot
>peridot/ametheyst
And the list is just gonna get bigger
>>
>>77528331

No, but they're delicious.
>>
>>77528594
I think the ship has sailed on any pairing with Rose. She and Greg seemed pretty happy together.

That and I always saw Pearl's thing for her as more of a "so devoted to you I will do anything" rather than an overtly romantic interest. It certainly can come off that way, though.

Though yeah I can see Steven and Lapis working. Don't see any of the other gems fucking.
>>
>>77528543
This is because for whatever reason, Marceline was barely ever featured in the show at all. But whenever she did interact with PB, it fits into the progression we've seen. Like, we see hints of them starting to be friends again and hanging out after Sky Witch, in Princess Day and Time Sandwich
>>
>>77528543
Bubbline is a very popular ship in AT and there is a reason why. Most of them are Woman and teenage girls. They make up a lot of the viewership. Marceline is also one of, if not the most popular character in the show. People see she's happy and calmer when she's around PB, its the same with how Bonnie acts around her. Its not the quantity that helps the ship but the quality of their scenes together that made it grow.
>>
>>77528543
>I wouldn't like it but I'd admit it was a natural progression. This, however, isn't. This all seems like the writers really want Bubbline so they figured out what they'd have to do to get it.
Except you are missing the part where they have been friends for almost a thousand years.

there is nothing natural about hinting at every possibility that they might have fucked. The way they have handled them and featured them is actually the most natural way two person who might have been ex but remained good friends behave with each other.
>>
>>77528382
The tone of the scene matters too, silly. The romantic part of the episode is just subtext. PB turned Finn down but apparently there was a part of her that regretted it. Not that it matters now.
>>
>>77528670
So ya'll admit it's a show for gay women now? Gotcha.
>>
>>77528721
>not being a gay women
get out straight male keks, we taking this bitch OVA
>>
>>77528744
Cool, just go back to tumblr then. Maybe then one day I'll get a show about adventure without all this gay shit in it.
>>
>>77528650
Gems can't even feel romantic interest because they are not biological. Pearl is from a slave race and Rose apparently made her feel special, and indulged her in fusion whenever she wanted. While that isn't technically romance it might have resembled it.
>>
File: tumblr_nxxmbzxVmf1t5b89eo1_1280.jpg (184 KB, 823x441) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxxmbzxVmf1t5b89eo1_1280.jpg
184 KB, 823x441
>>
>>77528807
I dunno, Rose felt romantic interest towards Greg.

I can see the similarities but it still comes off as Pearl being wholly obsessed with Rose and needing her far more than loving her. That kind of slavish devotion, y'know?
>>
Did everyone forget that Marceline had a dream of PB and her in her poison coma, and PB blushing twice by what Marceline said?
>>
>>77527833
>>77527956
This is why shippers annoy me. There are hints to stuff every which way. You can make an argument based on episodes that PB is a lesbian, has no interest in relationships and is interested on Finn. Each one can be supported, she is a terribly written character
>>
>>77528672
Honestly they seem to sometimes hold back around each other. I mean they could be best friends like PB keeps saying, but there actions sometimes are telling something else.
>>
File: kjk.gif (218 KB, 500x260) Image search: [Google]
kjk.gif
218 KB, 500x260
>>
>>77528006
>Especially when she said "I pushed you away" to Marceline in Varmints.
That was a different writer, though, years later.

Do people seriously think PB is talking to Finn about Marceline there?? That's nuts. The point of the exchange is she's projecting her feelings about Finn onto his feelings about FP.
>>
>>77529028
stupid lesbians don't even know what a fucking closet is
>>
>>77529039
>The point of the exchange is she's projecting her feelings about Finn onto his feelings about FP.
That's what Finn thought and the episode made it pretty clear he was wrong
>>
>>77529039
>That was a different writer, though, years later.
Under shipper goggles that is basically a sign piece of parchment that it happened.

Shipping isn't about being a rational human, it is about connecting whatever dots you can so it works no matter how tenuous. And that is why it ruins shows
>>
>>77528974

The writer conflict in AT is epic. All points of view are valid because the show is written by factions of warring shippers.
>>
>>77529162
It written by fractions of warring everything. It really feels some times they don't discuss shit but I changed this so we need to change it back before the other episode
>>
>>77529085
Why do you think the ep is saying he's wrong? She's kind of confessing to him there, in her own covert way. He picked up on it and it set him off because he wanted control of the situation.
>>
File: 17230945721.jpg (111 KB, 518x449) Image search: [Google]
17230945721.jpg
111 KB, 518x449
>>77528621
>he thinks bananas are delicious
>>
>>77529039
Marceline and Finn are actually very similar characters back then. And FInn's narrative is quite unreliable sometimes.
>>
>>77529224
Dude PB was totally thinking about someone as she was speaking, then by Varmints we actually learn why she kept doing that.
>>
>>77529196
They literally don't speak at all on some things. Jesse says what happens is each boarder works on a neverending stream of his own episodes, alone in his own house. It's some weird shit.
>>
>>77529224
>She's kind of confessing to him there, in her own covert way.
Haha, no she's not
One of the major points/jokes of the episode was that Finn and Jake were misinterpreting PB's involvment as jealousy when she was just worried he was gonna get himself blown the fuck up. It was a way to reveal how dangerous FP is and why she was imprisoned all those years
>>
You guys we just have to accept that they've been pushing Bubbline since Varmints. Some of my friends who are casual viewers asked if something is going on between.
>>
>>77529283
>PB was totally thinking about someone as she was speaking
Yeah -- Finn. Your shipper goggles are on a little tight.
>>
>>77520325
Is this the entire review for Stakes? What the fuck, that's like 8 paragraphs for 7 episodes and Sava barely mentions anything about it other then "Well it wasn't as deep as I was hoping :/"

Oliver isn't the best reviewer on good days but this just butchered the entire Stakes review, what the fuck?
>>
>>77529343
I think yours are
>>
>>77529309
>Jesse says what happens is each boarder works on a neverending stream of his own episodes, alone in his own house.
I just want this show to end

It is just people trying to use it as a spring board now
>>
>>77529343
She was talking about her past experience, like when the Candy Kingdom wasn't big, and she wasn't as busy and she could hangout with people and Marceline.

Her speech in Varmints is clearly a parallel to Burning Lows.
>>
File: spaghetti.gif (940 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti.gif
940 KB, 500x340
>this thread
>>
>>77529360
That's just the most straightforward answer. You seriously think she was talking about Marceline? Because she's talking about someone in relation to herself in the scene, and Bubbline wasn't established yet then. You are insane, my nigga. I hate Fubblegum but Sugar thought it was interesting.
>>
>And everything went back to the way it was!

I'm visibly upset.
>>
>>77529412
Man what, Bubbline had been a thing for a while when Burning Low aired.
>>
>>77521399
If he was white when he impregnated her mom that could be why. My dad is brown and my mom is white and I'm white and my brother is brown. Genetics my nig
>>
>>77529426
what were you expecting m8? of course they had to throw bubbline a bone cause the fans were getting restless
>>
>>77529426
Could be worse, at least Finn hasn't been ruined any more than he already is
>>
>>77520325

>The miniseries is at its strongest when it looks at vampirism as a metaphor for depression

I thought this was supposed to be a show about a hyper kid doing wild shit with his magic dog, what the hell happened?
>>
>>77529412
She might have been since Sugar worked on the episode and Sugar started the whole bubbline shit in What was Missing. Or she might not have been talking about anybody in particular. But I really, really don't think she was talking about Finn. see >>77528095
>>
>>77529412
Well, it is. More interesting than goddamn Bubbline. At least there you have the age gap and Finn's gradual maturity woes to throw in.

>>77529431
Korrasami was a thing from day 1 and the writers admitted it was a season 4 idea.
>>
>>77529402
>It is, but the reference is being made by a different person than the one who wrote the original line. It is by no means retroactive proof of Bubbline, holy shitcakes.
>>
This can't be written by sugar. Nobody cried in the first 10 seconds or try and force an agenda.
>>
>>77529483
It isn't. She just wrote the song Everything Stays
>>
>>77529483
there was a nigger though, are you sure the agenda wasn't there? I have my doubts
>>
>>77529479
whoops didn't mean to green that
>>
File: kjhkjhk.png (5 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
kjhkjhk.png
5 KB, 350x350
>>77529457
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.