[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Western Animation ever be considered a suitable medium to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
Will Western Animation ever be considered a suitable medium to tell a mature story by the public at large?
>>
>>77512438
No because its not as profitable as doing that in live action or making a childrens comedy show
>>
>>77512743

Not everything is profit-driven anon.
>>
>>77512438
I'd argue that shows like that already exist, it's just they aren't as popular.
>>
>>77512438
I doubt it'd be impossible, but animation is sort of at a disadvantage. It doesn't have an incredibly long history like literature, and it doesn't have the ability to look as realistic as live film.

I'd say in maybe a few more generations people could get more comfortable with it.
>>
>>77513182
>by the public at large?
>>
Not really. The live action side has a pretty solid foothold on that, and it's not going anywhere soon.
>>
>>77512438
what was waltz with bashir?
what was the triplettes de Belville?
what was fantasia?
and I'm keeping the japanese animation and the cartoon made for childen with a mature story out of sight, or else we could rant forever...
>>
LOLno.

Not by normies. Never by normies.
>>
>>77515824
I never understood this. Its literally just a matter of precedent. There isn't anything about the style of anime that like, makes it more dramatic or mature. It's just precedent. No one wants to put money into a highly detailed western cartoon because no one wants to put money into a highly detailed western cartoon. You have shit like "We wanted the dragon age cartoon to be done in an anime style because we feel that's better for telling a dramatic story" like what? You can tell a dramatic story on fucking fuzzy felt.
>>
I wonder if by some day we can animate things to a point they looks so realistic. If that day comes would it effectively eliminate the need for actual actors?
>>
>>77515941
Yeah its called modern video games.
>>
>>77515696
They're films that most of the western population has not even heard of let alone watched with the he exception of Fantasia and even that is considered to be a lesser Disney film
>>
>implying anime is accepted as "mature" by the public at large
>>
>>77517395
You mean that shit virgins whack off to when they're horny and lonely?
>>
>>77515941
No because you'd still need actors for motion capture and rotoscoping.
>>
>>77512438
Who cares what normies think? Just enjoy what you like.
>>
File: clone last stand.webm (3 MB, 1040x442) Image search: [Google]
clone last stand.webm
3 MB, 1040x442
>>77512438
I think so.

Anime is becoming increasingly mainstream, as are adult fans of cartoons. It's totally normal and socially accepted that 20-somethings watch anime and take cartoons seriously and such.

In another two decades or so, I could see it being totally accepted by western audiences.

>>77517709
Because what's popular and accepted by audiences at large determines what works largely get made, and how they're made.
>>
>>77515941
We already are, it's just it's usually much cheaper to hire actors than to animate stuff to look realistic. Or Hollywood just doesn't give a shit
>>
What do you mean "Western"?
The Waltz with Bashir did it, kind of, but is it "Western" enough?

>>77516830
Too bad they hire some shmucks and tell shitty stories.
Alas, it's not like games are for that.
>>
File: The Nutcracker.jpg (18 KB, 331x140) Image search: [Google]
The Nutcracker.jpg
18 KB, 331x140
>>77516920
>western population
I don't know where you live but Waltz was fucking huge in scandinavia. Then again, we have a lot of adult animation over here
>>
File: 1447038300130.jpg (38 KB, 736x1146) Image search: [Google]
1447038300130.jpg
38 KB, 736x1146
>>77512438

If you make it something explicitly national it helps.

Song of the Sea was fairly big in Ireland, unless you don't consider it "mature" whatever that means.
>>
What we need is a western Satoshi Kon, and someone who puts enough faith in him to finance at least one movie to show everyone else just how well it can be done.
>>
>>77515696
>waltz with bashir
Came here to post this.
Carry on, my nigga.
>>
>>77512438
pic not related
>>
File: bait.png (67 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
67 KB, 350x350
Waltz with Bashir sucks but it's an example of an "adult" story I guess 'cause it deals with war and politics.

So what are "adult" topics? War? Politics? Lots of Looney Tunes deal with those topics.

Marriage? Raising children? Death? Pixar has some movies that deal with that shit.

Fututistic robots, mutants, and lots of blood and gore? Yeah, anime is real mature.
>>
>>77513142
Hahahaha! Haaaha! Haaaa- Oh wait, you're serious??
>>
It's possible, but unlikely. Any modern work that gets close to that status gets radically altered or canceled, so I think what we'd need to see the stars align to highlight a animated tour de force. Something that'll set a trend in big ways.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.