[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dresden Codak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: 2015-11-16-dark_science_55.jpg (1 MB, 960x1299) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-16-dark_science_55.jpg
1 MB, 960x1299
Well, I'll give Diaz this: I have no idea where the hell this story could possibly be going, though I think that has more to do with poor storytelling than anything else.
>>
Ripping off Ghost in the Shell?
>>
>>77508506
why they talk so much yet it all goes nowhere!
>>
>>77508564
I figure that goes without saying.
>>
File: 1403771783402.png (170 KB, 550x689) Image search: [Google]
1403771783402.png
170 KB, 550x689
>Kimiko is clothed
>>
>>77508780
Yeah, she got dressed two pages ago (after admiring herself flexing in a mirror because Diaz doesn't know how to be subtle about his fetishes).
>>
>>77508564
Diaz doesn't have many original ideas.
He just pieces existing ones together into an incomprehensible story with pretty good art.
>>
>>77508506
What is the story even actually about?
>>
>>77508564
It's more blatantly ripping of Metropolis.
>>
>>77508506
I can't tell which direction to read this.
>>
>>77509386
Kimiko's true identity as the reincarnation of a giant slayer or something, and how wacky this dystopia is.
>>
>>77509421
Also DARK SCIENCE. Whatever that is.
>>
>>77509409
Why not? Its pretty straightforward. You retarded or something?
>>
Why is the art so shit? No outlines on the characters, it's a fucking blurry mess and everything looks nasty and smudged.

How fucking lazy do you have to be to make this shit, and I bet he's taking a four month vacation because it was so hard to draw.
>>
Kim's redesign continues to look like shit, moving on.
>>
>>77509454
It's magic pretending to be science that'll never be properly explained since that'd require explaining how the fuck they invented a new scientific method
>>
>>77509484
>Why is the art so shit? No outlines on the characters, it's a fucking blurry mess and everything looks nasty and smudged.
Get your eyes checked maybe.
>>
>>77509484
I think he claimed he was sick for the last few days, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't suspect he made that up to excuse his being late (again) and then he just rushed a bit near the end.
>>
>>77509386
some transhumanist was, in the future, destined to bring about a singularity event that would lead to humans becoming obsolete. The humans rebelled and went back in time to kill her, and then colonize the past. The transhumanist died, got revived as a cyborg angel, fixed the conflict, then lost whatever enlightenment she'd gained.

After that she went to enroll at super secret college of sciences where her estranged father worked. She found herself blocked by too much red tape for her liking so she set herself on dark science (I.e, illegal underground research groups)
she also underwent full boy prosthetic conversion, so now she's just a brain in a robot suit.
and now we learn she's probably always been some kind of synthetic lifeform that her father made, someone created rather than born

And that's as far as the plot has gotten in, what, ten years?
>>
>>77508506
Blond Ayn Rand is Morningstar (subtle, Diaz) the leader of the generic conspiracy, black girl is a spy for them (the group shots have two girls, and one girl is the leader), and Kim was cloned from/is the ancient warrior in the tomb; everything from before she came to Nephopolis is a dream/implanted memories (people are constantly saying her memories make no sense). Kim has always been cyber-Jesus or some shit; I'm expecting she'll lead all the robots and cyborgs into the Rapture of the Nerds/the Singularity.
>>
File: kimikonap.jpg (62 KB, 385x460) Image search: [Google]
kimikonap.jpg
62 KB, 385x460
>>77509025
>two pages ago
how many years ago was this?
>>
>>77509641
Looks like the Hob arc, so like, seven years, now? Jesus.
>>
File: kimiko coffee.jpg (6 KB, 130x162) Image search: [Google]
kimiko coffee.jpg
6 KB, 130x162
>>77509713
Which comic takes longer for time to pass in, Dresden Codak or Megatokyo? MT pumps out hundreds of pages of nothing happening, while DC drips out a page once in a blue moon when the stars have aligned where something MIGHT happen.
>>
>>77509824
Probably Megatokyo, since it's consistently slow paced. Dresden Codak's pacing is really weird though, it feels very slow and reading fifty pages of Dark Science, you feel like nothing's happened, but then when you think about the events that have occurred, a bunch of things actually have happened, you just didn't really register that while they were happening, so the pacing feels much slower than it actually is. It's kind of uniquely bad, I've yet to see anything else with the same problem.
>>
Dresden Codak wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't get the feeling that Diaz thinks it's much more interesting and intelligent than it is.

Ever since I've actually learned about how the guy acts I can't stop seeing his bullshit in his work.
>>
>>77510178
Dresden Codak has an issue where it doesn't give anything enough time to actually develop properly and keeps shifting its direction every ten minutes, so despite tons of shit actually happening none of it feels like it matters to the reader. It's like it keeps skipping to the major plot points without letting things settle with the reader be explained.

Did anyone really care about the blonde opposition guys betrayal and capture, the league of robot cats or Vonnie going rogue?
>>
>>77510404
>Dresden Codak has an issue where it doesn't give anything enough time to actually develop properly

But, anon, that would require Diaz to have to make more than one page a month. Who could possibly manage that kind of output?
>>
>>77510404
Yes, exactly. The story itself could be passable but because the characters are so poorly defined their actions are confusing and there's no reason to care about them.
>>
>>77509386
Nobody fucking knows... there's no logic or flow to the narrative, shit happens at random and then is never explained, we're like five years into Dark Science and we only just learned the secondary protagonist's names like... a month or two ago when they introduced themselves to one another for the first time.

It's an absolute fucking trainwreck.
>>
Did the blonde twins with the superpowers and the lightningbolt shirts ever come back?
>>
>>77510644
No, they've vanished from the comic completely.
>>
>>77508506
>dark_science_55

I could of sworn I remember him starting this story at least 3 years ago
>>
>>77510748
It was five.
>>
>>77510644
They were too silly for this totally serious storyline
>>
>>77510404
I feel like it might have to do with the slow pace, it's as though it takes him so long to make a page that he's already bored of the segment of the story he was on, and just skips to the next part.
>>
>>77509641
>>77509824
Wow, the art has lot all it's charm from these old pictures.
>>
>>77510843
This would also explain the characters a bit.
He's been drawing them for literal years so he's attached to them, and thinks we're as familiar with people like Az when they've only been around for a handful of pages.
>>
>>77510812
>11 pages per year

What does he have a holy month or something?
>>
File: dresden codek.png (947 KB, 860x876) Image search: [Google]
dresden codek.png
947 KB, 860x876
>>
I checked his archives and did the math (>>77510748 this arc started in 2010). It's been, on average, .78 main plot comics per month.

The reason plots this long never work out is because the author is literally a different person by the time it finishes. What he wants to do with the comic and characters will slowly change as it goes.

No plot is worth waiting 5+ years with no sign of ending.
>>
>>77510971
Well, it did go somewhere. Somewhere stupid and incomprehensible, but somewhere.
>>
>>77510971
>>77511054
Actually I reread it a while ago, and there is a coherent plot. It's about the role of technology as our providers. When you just give people handouts, you rob them of their independence and relevance. In the Kim herself also rejects her father's monthly checks and the time colonists reject the paradise that the AI would have given them.
>>
>>77509627
>girl replaces human body with robot body because transhumanism lol
>had robot body all along
BRAVO DIAZ
>>
>>77510899
Yeah, it always feels like he thinks these characters are defined and interesting and making decisions that make sense to them, but they haven't had enough development in the actual comic itself so they just seem like randos doing whatever the plot says they should do. Like he's got the characters all fleshed out in his head, but he can't convey all that to the audience.
>>
>>77511006
>No plot is worth waiting 5+ years with no sign of ending.

It might be, if we were talking about something with more than maybe 2 graphic novels worth of content. If he actually updated regularly, then sure his writing style and the way he presents the plot/characters would change over time, but at least when it comes to the comic the reader'd would see it as a gradual change and likely not even notice unless they re-read it at some point.

Read in Dresden Codak currently is like watching a movie while hitting the skip scene button every minute.
>>
>>77510899
If I'm right about him just getting bored as he works I bet that what happened to >>77510644
Is that he simply got tired of them, despite their being the most developed secondary characters he had and only even really appearing in like 20ish pages.
>>
>>77511379
>the most developed secondary characters he had
But they weren't very developed. They were just sort of there.
>>
File: kylefuckyou.png (216 KB, 417x500) Image search: [Google]
kylefuckyou.png
216 KB, 417x500
>>77511159
>Actually I reread it a while ago, and there is a coherent plot
Fuuuuuck you.
>>
>>77511456
Most developed by virtue of being pretty much the only secondary characters that were recurring at that time, is what I meant.

Like how a pizza place that only serves bagel bites can advertise as being the best in town if it's the only pizza place in town.
>>
>>77511485
What don't you understand?
>>
>>77511159
>Actually I reread it a while ago, and there is a coherent plot
20-odd pages of bullshit and high school level philosophy suddenly wrapped up by four pages of deus ex waifu does not, a coherent plot, make.

Aaron wrote himself into a pretentious corner and weaseled his way out while trying to come across as "deep".
>>
>>77511606
I guess. Though I feel like Tiny Carl Jung had more personality than either of them.
>>
I have no idea what this setting is even supposed to be anymore.
I miss when Kim was just some weird girl in a setting full of fantastic unserious sci-fi shenanigans for the sake of making science jokes.
>>
>>77513989
Everything we've seen outside of the city is likely fabricated memories of Kim's and can be tossed aside.
Even the city is weird and hard to make sense of though. We've barely seen anything from it besides a bunch of department jokes and robot racism.
>>
>>77513989
>I have no idea what this setting is even supposed to be anymore.
It's just a cool future-y art deco world. Diaz says it's inspired by Metropolis but it makes him really mad when you imply it's inspired by BioShock so I always like to say that instead.
>>
i wish he would hire a writer
>>
>>77514604
he probably has one that he ignores all the time
>>
>>77514913
No, it's just him. Well, him and a mysterious assistant whose duties are unknown.
>>
>>77514966
fellating his ego
also his penis
>>
>>77515002
Doesn't he have a girlfriend for that?
>>
>>77515090
you are underestimating his ego
>>
>>77508506
blah blah blah blah too much fucking dialogue. No visual storytelling whatsoever.
>>
>>77508506
wait

the fuk

up

Dresden Codak has a story?

seriously?
>>
>>77515838
He ditched the science gags formula years ago.
>>
>>77515838
Yes. It's not a very good story, and it's a poorly told one, but it is indeed technically a story.
>>
>2015
>the book he promised his kickstarter backers still is not in print

Even Megatokyo managed to get a book released.
>>
>>77509392
>Metropolis
Where's the jewish cyborg who builds the capitalist androids to surpress the workers?
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.