[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which video games would work well as comic books? I've noticed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 17
File: rVgBroJ.png (464 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rVgBroJ.png
464 KB, 1280x720
Which video games would work well as comic books? I've noticed that western comics rarely use the same exposition technique manga does. Namely, setting up the world and - more importantly - its mechanics, whether they're regarding individual 'powers', item properties or the climate. Even low tier manga like Attack on Titan does a great job explaining how the navigation / mobility devices work so when they start flying around you're way more invested and wonder if they're going to get splattered.

Perhaps that is what makes manga closer to gameplay design. I'd like to see this more in the west. Which comics do you think deal with this well? I mean even the best action / carnage ones like Punisher MAX treat action just as means to a bloodshed, he stands and sprays, immovable, invulnerable. This might be in tune with his demonic character but there rarely is tangible danger or investment when action setpieces are concerned in western comics. Hell, most you get in terms of 'world discourse' from Frank is when he's slamming that bitch against a bulletproof window.
>>
>>77484530
We all know that Disgaea would make a good comic of course Nippon Ichi is fail wouldn't ever do that thanks a lot guys!
>>
>>77484839
Disgaea is already a comic

static with tons of dialogue
>>
>>77484530
Something, something, about batman and air in tires or some shit /co/ will complain about. It is against comic law to ask how something works.
>>
>>77485030
funny because no one uses more gadgets than batman and it's all so bland and unexplored, simplistic obfuscation
>>
>>77484530
Fall Out
>>
>>77484530
Poor sweet Emil ;_;
>>
What you described is actually what I hate most about manga. It always seems to have some sort of gimmick. It always starts in the same place, the hero's home town. It always explains everything at the beginning and gets too bogged down with rules.

The best manga are the ones that don't do any of this. Eva does a great job of starting in the middle of the story, slowly revealing information about the world as it goes without feeling like it's being made up on the fly.

It pains me when manga fans criticize cape comics for not having an ending, like how is that not exactly the same as most shounen? The only difference is manga eventually end after 100 volumes written by the same guy, usually by just finding whatever mcguffin was established in the first chapter.

Anyway to answer your actual question, I think classic games like Castlevania and Metroid can benefit most from comics like the American Nintendo Power ones. Stories that give context to the settings and show what happens between levels, or what the characters were thinking.
>>
File: nierpachidaioujou.webm (2 MB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
nierpachidaioujou.webm
2 MB, 640x512
>>77485275
> It always starts in the same place, the hero's home town

stopped reading

fucking retard

To desentisize myself from your shit tier mind I will upload this nice webm I made.
>>
>>77484530
OP pic is some indie trash
>>
>>77485526
Drakengard and Nier are great.
>>
>>77485746
>Drakengard

only if you read the playthrough on lparchive
>>
>Guilty Gear
>Shin Megami series
>Persona series
>Nier
>Bubsy
>>
>>77485391
>just spam dodge

Impressive
>>
>>77485746
>omg so dark and twisted!
>>
>>77485391
This game is going to have me rage/fear screaming with its combat. I can't wait.

You posted one yourself already, OP. Nier has a decent amount of plot. Not a short game, but not some 150+ hour game either. There is a small cast of main characters, and a small-medium cast of secondary characters. The story is linear, the world can be explained fairly simply (I mean, it's bizarre, but it's not complicated). You know the load screens/journals with bits and pieces of information? Bam. Chapter dividers.
>>
>>77485946
>judging the gameplay by the carefully put together trailer
>doubting platinum

pleb

>>77485991
don't forget perspective shifts
>>
>>77486263
>that platinum cocksucking

Oh boy, it's like being on /v/.
>>
Supposedly there's supposed to be a Undertale comic but it hasn't happened yet.
>>
File: canvas.webm (3 MB, 420x240) Image search: [Google]
canvas.webm
3 MB, 420x240
>>77486396
the only downside to platinum games is that their level design sucks but you gotta create space to show off cuhrayzee movesets

nothing wrong in praising greatness

pleb

go read scott pilgrim or something

fucking post-daria shiit tier meltmind
>>
>>77486730
I don't have a problem with Platinum I have a problem with its fans.

Even worse now that Nier and Platinum fags are going to be the same thing
>>
>>77486758
what's so wrong with platinum fans? i like platinum and it's obvious that they're recycling their bayonetta/dmc schtick in whatever they do nowadays but it's still better than letting taro design gameplay.
>>
Coming from someone who's never played any of the games, Metal Gear Solid would probably make for a pretty decent comic series.
>>
>>77487049
There were some MGS comics
>>
>>77487049
Sure, especially with bossfights spread out over several issues Shigurui-style.

Mangakas in general pay way more attention to detail, in fact the whole slice of life genre is centered around the mundane but most scenes are carefully laid out so you can scan the daily utensils spread in disarray around dingy apartments which in turn build up characterization. In west, you get nonsensical living spaces and control rooms that you forget as soon as characters leave them, 'map design' rarely has any purpose other as a backdrop and this translates into western video games as well.
>>
>>77484530
Starfox

Has tons of planets and a strong cast of characters that could easily be fleshed out through comics. The ones we got in nintendo power were great, wish they kept going with them.
>>
>>77485275
Stop reading battle shonen like it's the only genre of manga out there, anon.
>>
>>77486758
>hating Nier

W-what's wrong with Nier?
>>
>>77485746
Nier was a huge disappointment. The leveling up was completely unnecessary, and the "Big Twists" at the end were more off-putting than cool. I actually liked the game better when I thought it was just dark fantasy with robots thrown in, no post apocalyptic bullshit

Also, Kaine and Emil were annoying and insufferable. The only decent supporting character was Weiss.
>>
>>77488114
>No one pays attention about room-space in the Western

Nigga obviously never read Nier

>>77488880
I hate how with Star Fox they keep recycling the same plot over and over again. And not like how Metroid does either, because those plots are really just dressing for the game, but how, recently, Start Fox just recycles 64 over and over again.
>>
File: 1402251562557.png (79 KB, 201x273) Image search: [Google]
1402251562557.png
79 KB, 201x273
>>77485526

1v1 me IRL, Taro games are the stupid nerd shit hill upon which I will die.

>>77486939
>platinum fans

Platinum is like the Andrew Hussie of developers. Yeah you might have been there and seen the merit in their early games, and yeah you were really excited when there was a big enough fanbase to chat with, but then the hype exploded and now if you critique any of it you get dogpiled by children/normies saying "NUH UH BEST EVAR XD"
>>
File: 61qjU5RLj6L._SY445_QL70_.jpg (38 KB, 322x445) Image search: [Google]
61qjU5RLj6L._SY445_QL70_.jpg
38 KB, 322x445
depoina

i mean we need something to finish off the cliff hanger ending to goodbye
>>
>>77489851
platinum is still a freelance studio that does not guarantee sales
>>
>>77489193
>read Nier

what
>>
File: brad.png (2 KB, 150x233) Image search: [Google]
brad.png
2 KB, 150x233
Lisa
>>
i want comics because games look cool but i suck at them
>>
>>77489193
>Nigga obviously never read Nier
>read Nier
wut

Also it's a Japanese videogame.
>>
Neptunia would make a good (and sexy!) comic book.
>>
STALKER begs for a comic book adaptation even before it was a game

Though it does have some western doujins already that are well done.

Same with Dwarf Fortress. Lots of games where plot isn't that important are good for an adaptation because you have the world set up for you already. It's pretty lame to do a comic book playthrough of a game but that's probably what people would most likely do.
>>
>>77491033
>Same with Dwarf Fortress. Lots of games where plot isn't that important are good for an adaptation because you have the world set up for you already. It's pretty lame to do a comic book playthrough of a game but that's probably what people would most likely do.

>comic version of Boatmurdered

Too good for this world
>>
>>77491109
To be fair, survival comics have a downside that they depend upon the world too much and often turn into cliches; just look at Walking Dead. It eventually boils down to Who Dies Next. They are fetishistic and feed on the base necessities factor but are often nothing more than soap operas; it's a low fantasy genre in a sense, without Ancient Evil (though a disaster is a metaphor for one) but that in turn turns them into prosaic shitfests.

Basically, Dwarf Fortress comic could work as an extremely well researched slice of life thingie, going into heavy detail with all the jobs / crafts / diseases.
>>
File: 1437073923880.jpg (143 KB, 700x788) Image search: [Google]
1437073923880.jpg
143 KB, 700x788
Any comics doing distorted time flow motif well? Dealing with unreliability of time?
>>
>>77488975
>Stop reading battle shonen like it's the only genre of manga out there, anon.
Yeah there's also loli harem slice of life
>>
>>77489161
>Also, Kaine and Emil were annoying and insufferable

Emil is like the purest character in fiction, fuck you.
>>
>>77484530
>exposition is good
>being invested in AoT
No.
>>
>>77484530
Assassin's Creed

The Last of Us

Freedom Wars

Sly Cooper

Chibi Robo

Fantasy Life

Splatoon

Metroid

Fire Emblem

Ribbit King

Banjo Kazooie

Perfect Dark
>>
Dark Souls would make for a great series made up of one-shots.
>>
File: 1424737757214.png (243 KB, 567x666) Image search: [Google]
1424737757214.png
243 KB, 567x666
>>77495669

>there will never be a doujin of human tyrann having his way with emil during the old world shenanigans depicted in the drama cd

I am unreasonably butthurt that there are very little DoD/Nier doujins, and the ones that are around are so miserably OOC I don't even want to go through them.
>>
File: 2015-11-12_00005.jpg (158 KB, 330x500) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-12_00005.jpg
158 KB, 330x500
>tfw my fave duty dude got his own comic
Oh my.
>>
File: weiss.jpg (80 KB, 415x550) Image search: [Google]
weiss.jpg
80 KB, 415x550
>>77490596

While I agree (especially in light of the Korra game), I was mostly referencing the built-in fanbase that, while a minority, is a loud one.

>>77489161
>Also, Kaine and Emil were annoying and insufferable. The only decent supporting character was Weiss.

I wonder who was behind this post...
>>
>>77496493
world building is good
giving meaning to devices is good exposition
>>
>>77484530
>Even low tier manga like Attack on Titan does a great job explaining how the navigation / mobility devices work so
No it doesn't, the explanation for how it works is
>It shoots out gas
Thats it
>>
>>77497966
it draws you in with diagrams, focus on different parts, velocity, navigation and combat examples. did you expect that they actually invent the fucking thing?

>>77497206
is it any good?
>>
>>77498020
>diagrams, focus on different parts, velocity
We must have been following different series because that never happens.
>did you expect that they actually invent the fucking thing?
No but I expect basic info like what the pressure the gas is when it's inside that tank.
>>
File: 1447289948157.jpg (59 KB, 432x600) Image search: [Google]
1447289948157.jpg
59 KB, 432x600
>>77497184
I've never gone looking for Nier/Drakengard doujins, but I figured there'd be at least a fair amount for Kaine since she's so popular.
>>
>>77498041
http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Three_Dimensional_Maneuver_Gear

stop shitposting
>>
File: mother_final.jpg (673 KB, 638x824) Image search: [Google]
mother_final.jpg
673 KB, 638x824
Earthbound is begging to be a cartoon
>>
>>77489851
Man, Four was such a bitch.

One and Three best intoners.
>>
>>77485275
>It pains me when manga fans criticize cape comics for not having an ending, like how is that not exactly the same as most shounen?
>The only difference is manga eventually end after 100 volumes written by the same guy

You answered your own fucking question
>>
>>77498074

I figured people would go nuts with a canon-futa, but the one doujin I've seen is just so OOC I might as well just be looking at OC.

>>77498086

Four was worst girl, which is why she was actually best girl.

God, why was a fucking JRPG about a whore mother and her special needs son going around murdering her sisters and fucking their boyfriends the best written thing featuring women I've seen in years?

People need to stop trying to push ~*~strong womyn~*~ and just write funny assholes who happen to be women.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 485x303
>>77484530
>>77484530
Main quest is decently sized, an the lote bits and side quests would be good material for bonus stuff.
>>
>>77499003
Lore* bits.
>>
>>77496560
Came into this thread just to post Sly Cooper. The game had comic style cutscenes and scenarios that were all pretty cool. Then they changed it to be more like a cartoon which i didn't really like. Fuck Sanzuru.
>>
>>77484530

Video games that would work as a comic?

League of Legends - You can do a lot of things. Like 1 series with each issue having the backstory of each character and another series with an big arc. You have many characters that can be 1 big war between factions. Pull those older players that left the game. Pull new comic fans and it's already a huge company that can advertise their shit pretty well.
Heroes of the Storm - The same idea as League of Legends.
Indie Mini-series - a few issue series with the story of indie games. You can have a whole company doing exactly that.

Team Fortress 2 would be good if they start printing their comics.
>>
>>77499287

>Team Fortress 2 would be good if they start printing their comics.

Didn't Dark Horse print them?
>>
File: 1432966901762.jpg (44 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
1432966901762.jpg
44 KB, 282x341
>>77499429

Never saw anyone talking about it or saw them in my LCS. Didn't search for them either, so I wouldn't know about them.
>>
>>77499461

Valve had some L4D stuff printed too I think
>>
>>77485275
>The only difference is manga eventually end after 100 volumes written by the same guy

This is the answer. You have all of the fictional world's content in a single series of manga. There is no "hey guys I want to read [manga], where is a good starting point?" bullshit. Maybe some tangential spinoffs or extra materials, but never a clusterfuck spread across different runs and mediums.
>>
>>77499596

Unless your work get really popular and you start getting spin-offs, prequels and sequels and alternative universes.
>>
File: 1446517080809.png (548 KB, 700x1036) Image search: [Google]
1446517080809.png
548 KB, 700x1036
>>77499868

Even then all of those are released in their own separate volumes and are pretty easy to differentiate in their own continuity.

A good example of this is all of that Attack on Titan shit--you've got mainline manga, the anime, the Levi bullshit, the prequel mango, the high school AU, etc. It looks like a mess but they are all very clearly within their own bounds and you don't have to pick through all of your laundry to find a sock, so to speak. Western works (capeshit mostly) is hardly this streamlined.

>>77484530

>tfw we will never get that Kingdom Hearts cartoon
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.