[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spongebob ripped off Rocko's Modern Life, and turned into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
Spongebob ripped off Rocko's Modern Life, and turned into G-rated, commercialized, "lolsorandumb, screaming is funny" shlock.

Discuss.
>>
As someone who grew up with rocko, I'd say spongebob was better overall. Innuendo isn't really funny once you get over the "Wow, how'd they get away with THAT" appeal.
>>
>>77480568
that like saying that Rocko ripped off Ren and Stimpy or that AT ripped off flapjack.
>>
>>77480615
Fuck off back to Youtube.
>>
>>77480644
Fuck off back to 90's kid.
>>
Does anyone here remember Bobby's World?
>>
>>77480605
you just put my thoughts into words. Also, the delivery pales in comparison to spongebob.
>>
>>77480568
rocko and spongebob: same universe

cross-over when?
>>
>>77480905
how's he gonna breath underwater?
>>
>>77480568
So?
>>
I really like Rocko, but it's much more rough than Spongebob's early years. It's like Rocko was the trial-run and Spongebob was the full release.

That being said, I find it fascinating that you can trace nearly every successful children's cartoon since the end of Rocko back to it in one way or another.
>>
>>77480955
Yea, was just about to say, both shows are made by crew members that worked on both.
>>
This is a shitty bait thread. But I will toss you a bone, OP. It had almost the same staff members as Spongebob and the only reason it had adult jokes in it was because Nick wanted another Ren and Stimpy.
>>
>>77480955
>That being said, I find it fascinating that you can trace nearly every successful children's cartoon since the end of Rocko back to it in one way or another.
Yep, that and Dexter's Lab
>>
>>77480955

CN was the same way. Genndy Tratakovsky worked on Two Stupid Dogs which then he made Dexter's Lab with his friend Craig McCracken who made the Powerpuff Girls which both his friends Genndy and soon to be married Lauren Faust, the creator of Friendship is Magic worked on. Lets go back a bit, both Butch Hartman and Seth McFarlane both worked on Johnny Bravo then Dexter's Lab then then both go to make Fairly Odd Parents and Family Guy which then Seth Green went to make Robot Chicken with Seth McFarlanbe is the executive producer of. There's tons of more shit I'm missing but that's the jist of it.
>>
>>77483951

Whoops, I forgot. The later seasons of Dexter's Lab were directed by Chris Savino who then afterwards directed Kick Buttowski and is now on his way to be a creator of the new Nick show The Loud House.
>>
I guess it's because I'm young and didn't grow up with it but was anyone else dissappointed by RML?

The adult jokes sneaked in are funny, and the wacky artstyle is cool, but that's about it. The gross-out humour is old and the characters aren't that endearing. Spongebob was a lot more clever about its jokes and is just a lot more creative and fun.
>>
File: TURN THE PAGE, SLAVE.jpg (143 KB, 592x694) Image search: [Google]
TURN THE PAGE, SLAVE.jpg
143 KB, 592x694
>>77480568
>>
>>77480955

Agreed. The staff that worked on Rocko included Dan Povenmire, Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, and Stephen Hillenburg. Who went on and made Phineas and Ferb while Hillenburg Spongebob which CH Greenblatt went to make Chowder then Harvey Beaks. Also Craig Bartlett worked on Rugrats who then made Hey Arnold. Craig Bartlett is also the brother the brother in law to Matt Groening, the creator of The Simpsons.
>>
>>77480820
it was a good show!
>>
Rocko's Modern Life ripped off Animanics, and turned into G-rated, commercialized, "lolsorandumb, screaming is funny" shlock.

Discuss.

>Finger Prince.
>>
>>77484446
i don't think so
>>
>>77484364

You also forgot that Pen made a cartoon pilot of Adventure Time which Pen Ward pitched to Nick but was rejected who then went on to work on Flapjack which Thurop Van Orman created who worked on Camp Lazlo which was created by Joe Murry, the creator of Rocko's Modern Life. Lets go back to CN, Alex Hirsch and JG Quintel both worked on Flapjack who then JG Quintel went to make Regular Show while Alex Hirsch went to work on Fish Hooks for Disney as did Justin Roland who then goes on to make Gravity Falls and Justin creates Rick and Morty. Lets go back to Flapjack once more. Afterwards Pen Ward goes on to create Adventure Time which Natasha Allegri, Patrick McHale, Skylar Page and Rebecca Sugar worked on which then went on to create Bee and Puppycat, Over the Garden Wall, Clarence, and Steven Universe.
>>
File: 1447529942604.webm (3 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
1447529942604.webm
3 MB, 700x394
>this thread
>>
The magic of a joke can be in a delivery and no show delivered lines better than Spongebob did.
>>
>>77484102
>later seasons of Dexter's lab
>kick buttowski and loud house
So, mediocrity DOES start somewhere..
>>
File: 1444907208620.png (32 KB, 271x243) Image search: [Google]
1444907208620.png
32 KB, 271x243
>>77484857
>>
>>77485297

At least we know that whatever he's involved in, there's guaranteed to be fetish fuel.
>>
What was the most adult joke Spongebob made? Telling Gary not to drop the soap? Spongebob getting caught watching coral?
>>
"WHO TOOK THOSE PICTURES?!"
>>
>>77480955
>I find it fascinating that you can trace nearly every successful children's cartoon since the end of Rocko back to it in one way or another.

This. The same can be said for Ren & Stimpy as well as a few animated films like Cool World.
>>
File: 1401598685215.jpg (22 KB, 311x275) Image search: [Google]
1401598685215.jpg
22 KB, 311x275
>>77480568
>lolsorandumb
That term really fries my onions.
>>
>>77490753

Correction. Everything can be traced by to Calarts. Even people who didn't go to Calarts usually knew someone from Calarts.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.