[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are their rights issues with the Super Friends characters? Even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: file.jpg (8 KB, 304x232) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
8 KB, 304x232
Are their rights issues with the Super Friends characters? Even the name "Legion of Doom" is rarely used.
>>
No, they can if they want.

They just don't because Super Friends is only looked back upon with laughter and derision.
>>
>>77464034
I'm pretty sure a bunch of comics creators are big Super Friends fans
>>
>>77464034
Kingdom Come was practically a love letter to Super Friends-tier nonsense.
>>
File: 2853211-l_2.png (137 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
2853211-l_2.png
137 KB, 320x320
You see the Superfriends guys pop up here and there.

I guess they just aren't that popular. Maybe Apache Chief or Super Marvin will join the League in the comics for a run one day.
>>
>>77464232
Justice, too, to an even bigger degree.
>>
I hear Chief has some rights complications. I think he was going to be in the New 52
>>
>>77464268
That's what I meant though. He isn't called "Apache Chief." The Super Friends characters are in the Justice League cartoon too, and Marvin and Wendy are in YJ. They're never adults, though, and never have a similar design.

They don't use the name "Legion of Doom" very much either.
>>
>>77463681
I was going to say no, because there's been plenty of comic books that have referenced them and used the characters as a team, even, but then I noticed that the original series was produced for ABC. So it's possible that it's a rights clusterfuck like the Batman show, though most of that should have been resolved (in theory) by Hanna-Barbera's acquisition by the Time Warner group; in practice it depends what the contracts say and whether anybody cares enough to dig them up and resolve them. They almost certainly don't.

It's possible certain names/characters belong in whole or in part to the Taft Corporation's successors as well.

>>77464326
>>77464605
To be perfectly honest it just sounds like "Apache Chief" is a problematic concept to begin with, however they meant it originally or however it's presented today.
>>
>>77465011
Then how could they have been on Harvey Birdman?
>>
>>77465041
Maybe they cared enough to make a rights payment. Who cares? It's a shitty old cartoon even the network doesn't give a crap about.
>>
>>77465174
>super friends
>shitty

you deserve to be fucking killed
>>
>>77464605
>>77465041
My theory is that they could use the characters if they wanted to but the red tape makes it not worth the effort. Harvey Birdman was pretty important to use the actual characters so they may have tried harder.

Or it could have something to do with toy companies and cartoon rights. I've never been able to find a definitive answer. Maybe I should ask Johns on Twitter.
>>
>>77467818
Oh and it just occurred to me, part of it could be that since the rights to the characters are likely owned by Hanna-Barbera, DC would rather make original versions so that on the off-chance the character gets really big, they own full rights to the merch and cartoon/movies.
>>
>>77464605
Longshadow is cooler and slightly less racist than Apache Chief
You don't really need Black Vulcan when you've got Black Lightning and his daughter and Static
Wind Dragon > Samurai > Asami
Ed Duardo was pretty cool though

Zan and Jayna were part of Justice League Extreme so I don't think there's necessarily any rights issues
>>
>>77463681

Hanna-Barbera and DC have the same parent company; if there are rights issues, it's more because of petty dickishness than anything else.
>>
>>77468122
>Ed Duardo

I can't tell if you're serious about this, or if you're joking, or if you just mistyped this.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.