[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that cartoons are all adopting the same style now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 14
File: Beady eye motherfuckers.png (140 KB, 435x339) Image search: [Google]
Beady eye motherfuckers.png
140 KB, 435x339
Why is it that cartoons are all adopting the same style now? This basic minimalist Tumblr garbage that has absolutely no artistic style?
>>
>>77458629
>Why is it that cartoons are all adopting the same style now?
>no artistic style

Way to contradict yourself in the same comment.
>>
>>77458629
contradiction aside, it's because it's cheaper to make. also it hearkens back to the old hanna barbara days.
>>
>>77458629
Cheap and inexpensive
>>
File: JC.png (22 KB, 207x239) Image search: [Google]
JC.png
22 KB, 207x239
>>77458817
>it's cheaper to make
>>
>>77458629

Because it's trendy and gets people to watch their shows.
>>
>>77458629
Because it's cheap and takes no effort. Anyone can just draw the outline of a bear and paint bucket it brown and call it a day. Animation is dying.
>>
>>77458837
simpler designs=faster rate of drawings made
faster rate of drawings made=more work in less time
less time=less payment for the animator
>>
It gives off a safe and hipster-y vibe that makes it appealing to the manchildren that are cartoons' primary demo these days.
>>
>>77458864
Do you have actual numbers that support that claim?
>>
>>77458817

>also it hearkens back to the old hanna barbara days

HB cartoons are trash though. They and Disney are the reason cartoons are for kids. And when they do try to do "adult" cartoons it still loops back in trying to appeal to kids.
>>
>>77458884
nah. just logic.

economics M8
>>
>>77458932
So, basically, you have no argument and you're full of it?
>>
Even anime's becoming flat and lifeless now too. Someone will surely have the comparison pic of detailed 80s anime to modern cardboard anime.
>>
>>77458950
You honestly think this art-style isn't quicker to make? You think it takes as much effort as actually detailed cartoon-art?

That shit's just offensive to cartoons that put effort in.
>>
>>77458994
Yes. The whole 'this generation's style' fad is a load of total horseshit. It's just cliché 90's kids who think everything was better back when Samurai Jack was airing. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it's just classic hipster-pocracy.
>>
>>77458950
you must be dumb if you need evidence for something obvious like this. look at gravity falls. it's hand drawn with lots of detail. it takes months for a single episode to complete. then you have steven universe which can churn out 10 episodes in the same timeframe.
>>
>>77458950

Not even the same anon but come on. It's obvious that's what it is. If it wasn't then every single cartoon in the US would look good. Unless you are an animator you would never understand. Why do you think the Japanese cut corners with still frames and QUALITY all the time? For fun?
>>
WHo the fuck wants to see an incredibly detailed cartoon? It's just extra shit that makes it harder to animate. The whole fucking point of a CARTOON is that things are simplified and iconic and stylized in clever ways. All that extra shit is just shit. More detail/realism only makes something better if you're a dumbass republican uncle who doesn't understand art and thinks someone can only be talented if they do realistic, representational work. Fuck that shit!!
>>
>>77458629
It reflects a more lighthearted, self-effacing approach, more appropriate to mild comedy and "friends that happen to do adventures and heroics" as opposed to "adventurers and heroes that happen to be friends." It's cozy and perhaps even humble, though I think there could stand to be more experimentation.
>>
Forget just this generation of cartoons. I haven't really seen any Western animated art style that really piqued my interest since Aeon Flux.

>>77459040
For all that effort GF looks like shit.
>>
>>77458953
I know the image you're talking about and it's massive cherry picking. That image picks high budget 80s OVAs and movies while choosing typical TV shows for modern anime.
>>
>>77458629
blame cal arts, which is where all these animators are coming from
>>
File: oniiii.jpg (187 KB, 751x960) Image search: [Google]
oniiii.jpg
187 KB, 751x960
>>77459124
>one of the greatest looking made for television animations made
>looks like shit

gottatryharderwiththatbaitmate.jpg
>>
File: style bitch.gif (304 KB, 302x227) Image search: [Google]
style bitch.gif
304 KB, 302x227
>>77459040
Samurai Jack style was super simple tho.

The same for Dexter and PPG. Hell, WBB is much more detailed than Dexter and PPG.
>>
>>77459153
It's not bait. Your taste is just shit.
>>
Yeah, we all agree that it's cheaper and faster to do. The whole point is that some a-holes say that minimalistic=bad and we should be ashamed for liking it
>>
The current trend seems to be cartoons that have simple designs and art styles, but use more detailed backdrops and shading to make up the difference.

Adventure Time's probably to blame for a lot of it. That show's design seemed bizarre when it first appeared, but other cartoons have been following the leader and it's more standard now. Gravity Falls qualifies too, despite clearly having a lot of work put into its animation, since the character designs are relatively simple. That said, it doesn't spell the death of the industry- it's just a pattern. It'll last until another highly popular show uses a different style and everyone emulates that.

>>77459111
I like your thinking on the matter, anon.

And while a lot of shows do look like one another nowadays, they're not exactly the same, any more than Powerpuff Girls was the same as Samurai Jack or Johnny Bravo. I could post a still image from Steven Universe and you'd all know which show it was even if no characters were visible. Same goes for Star Vs. the Forces of Evil or We Bare Bears.
>>
>>77459153
>>one of the greatest looking made for television animations made
Not even close
>>
>>77459040
Why is it that Gravity Falls fanboys can't compliment the show without insulting something else?
>>
>>77459532
Probably something to do with the fact that they're usually le 90's kids who believe every other contemporary show is shit
>>
>>77459532
Because it's really the same as the other shows, but GF fans simply can't accept that.
>>
>>77458629
could you give an example of what you mean because i don't see it at all
>>
File: the secret of kells.jpg (191 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
the secret of kells.jpg
191 KB, 1280x720
>>77458629
>tfw no comfy animated show done in the same style and quality as The Secret Of Kells

I want off this ride.

>>77458917
>They and Disney are the reason cartoons are for kids.

Ironic isn't it? In the beginning Walt Disney wanted animation to be taken seriously as a medium for adults. Once the cash started flowing in he sort of just forgot about all that.
>>
>>77458917
>And when they do try to do "adult" cartoons
They never have.
>>
>>77458629
i thought the pilot was better animated
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x34bbra
>>
>>77458629
I know you're just parrot meme'ing with your 'tumblr this dis tumblr dat' but it's because digital art is now cheap and easily viable, and this style is in vogue. Before it was blocky hartman cartoons, before that ugly klaspy cupo shows. This style will come and pass.
>>
Shut the fuck up you autistic neckbeard.
>>
>>77458629
I blame the internet and cartoons becoming more intertwined and more trying to look like flash toons and webcomics.
>>
>>77460103
oddly enough the medium IS being taken seriously by adults...us and other people on the internet.
>>
>>77463077
No it's not.
"Adults" means people with homes and lives, jobs and 401k's with investment and real responsibilities in the world.
Adult manchildren who watch cartoons aren't adults just because they turn 21.
>>
Dumb thread, dumber OP.
>>
>>77460270
That could explain why the cartoon half of /co/ seems more concerned with webcomics than the comic half.
>>
>>77460103
>>tfw no comfy animated show done in the same style and quality as The Secret Of Kells
That would be impossible.
SoK is a movie for a reason.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-10-19-22h31m23s100.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-10-19-22h31m23s100.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
While WBB's characters are very simple, the contrast with the probably digital watercolor backgrounds are a nice touch. If you look at the sky in any scene it even has the texture of watercolor paper. Comfy as fuck.
>>
>>77465285
>VLC
Opinion discarded.
>>
File: 1380117842401.png (384 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1380117842401.png
384 KB, 640x480
I'm not trying to get shit started, but most western shows are shittier than shit, which is why, in my opinion, anime is better. Yeah, I know a lot of anime is based on the same shit these days, but at least it's easier on the eyes.
>>
What do you suggest as an alternative?
>>
>>77459040
Gravity Falls takes as long to produce as other shows, Disney is just shit at releasing episodes in a timely manner
Release schedule =/= production time
Phineas and Ferb had a similar limited release schedule
>>
>>77459040
SU is traditionally animated though. Also GF's season has been done for quite a while now, not to mention you're comparing a 22 minute show to a 11 minute one. It's not like Gravity falls has super complicated designs either.
>>
>>77465544

name one media player objectively better than VLC
>>
who the fuck wants to see really detailed bears in a child's cartoon
>>
>>77465557

Anime sacrifices animation fluidity for more detailed drawings. You can say it looks prettier but it's at a tradeoff and there are significantly less drawings per second and no lip syncing at all
>>
>>77465726
Addendum: people always go on about "oh CN shows dominate discussion because buh buh buh"

It isn't because of any inherent bias it's because CN actually releases things in a timely manner (I will admit CN has been fucking up lately, however, the constant "-Bombs" will soon leave them with little new content to show)

BOTH Disney and Nickelodeon have terrible terrible scheduling issues. Endless hiatuses don't help keep a show fresh in the public's eyes. Spongebob, the networks biggest money maker only shows a new episode every so often. They both are practically sitting on finished episodes and only showing them when they see fit in some Immortan-Joe-like fashion
>>
>>77458792
Maybe he's going for a Bruce Lee thing.
>>
>>77459532
Not all, I like she show a lot, but I don't spout hate about something else while giving pros on the show.

It's 4chan for you, not the fans. Every fandom is made up of people like that, some are 100% like that, others are 80% at least. That's not being a dick or insulting something else, that's the truth. Fandoms are fine, but there are no doubt the people in them that have different views that people can find "insulting" or just being a dick.
>>
>>77459069

I think OP means like a pretty looking artstyle like anime or Wakfu. Not "realistic".
>>
>>77467681
Wakfu is a strange case. It looked like piss at the beginning of season one but evolved into something incredible as it picked up speed. Just looking at the OVAs shows what incredible things kickstarter money can do.
>>
File: 1446167002746.gif (387 KB, 650x586) Image search: [Google]
1446167002746.gif
387 KB, 650x586
>>77465832

This so much. Most are pretty but not fluid.
>>
>>77468459

I would be okay with this. Too bad western writing for kids and "adult" cartoons are still pretty terrible. Moonbeam City is a great example of this. Not that LOL NEON RETRO 80's could ever be done well.
>>
>>77467681
I don't think that was his point either. Once the cuteness of the bears wears off, it starts to feel static. OP just needs to expand his palette and stop referring to things as Tumblr. Wander Over Yonder is pretty expressive from what I've seen, and it comes from the same "era". Uncle Grandpa, despite the humor not being everyone's cup of tea, is cool to watch sometimes.
>>
>>77468618

>Once the cuteness of the bears wears off, it starts to feel static

This. I already felt bored because it feels like nothing is ever happening, it's cute but the novelty is wearing off, the recent episode showed how bland the writing is. There's one more episode before the hiatus after that I think I'm gonna drop it.

>Uncle Grandpa, despite the humor not being everyone's cup of tea, is cool to watch sometimes

I thought I was the only one who has no problem with this show. I enjoy how it captures the weirdness of the early 90's. If it came before the Adventure Time craze, it would have been more liked.
>>
>>77459156
>WBB is much more detailed than Dexter and PPG
I hope you fall in a pit of LEGO blocks.
>>
>>77468902
>If it came before the Adventure Time craze, it would have been more liked.

Or if it had came from Adult Swim.
>>
>>77468902
>>77469298
Or if the MC wasn't so goddamn ugly and if they had put more focus on the "UG finds a kid who is somewhat miserable and turns their world around" thing.
>>
>>77469532
>"UG finds a kid who is somewhat miserable and turns their world around" thing

That just sounds like FoP.
>>
>>77469815
Yeah well, in this case it's a new kid every episode and the kid doesn't realize their life could be much better with a little change.
>>
>>77465805
MPC-HC
>>
>>77468902
The writing's good, but the animation is held back because the storyboarder's own flair never gets translated to the finished product, and the faces are never distorted beyond what could be considered inoffensive. TAWOG is a show with a unique style while still being plenty adorable.
>>
File: Uncle_Grandpa_Aunt-Grandma.jpg (55 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Uncle_Grandpa_Aunt-Grandma.jpg
55 KB, 1200x675
>>77469532

>Or if the MC wasn't so goddamn ugly

Speaking of that. Excluding the SU crossover episode, The Aunt Grandma episode was one of the highest rated episode of that series.
>>
>>77470213

>The writing's good

The only time WBB has decent writing was the Burrito episode but it was bogged down with stupid montages which is another problem that show seems to have. Also the cub episodes are the worst. No one wants to hear actual screeching kids and pointless slice of life when they can easily do that stuff as adults with the annoying voices.
>>
>>77470349

*without
>>
>>77469532

Well the guy who made Uncle Grandpa made Secret Mountain Fort awesome,

yet another reason I avoid the show
>>
>>77470883
UG is no where near as shtty as that show though. In fact it's improving imo, the birdman episode got some honest laughs out of me
>>
>>77470883
Uncle Grandpa a lot better, considering it's what the creator originally pitched to CN before SMFA got approved.
>>
File: tumblr_n0l56sxbdS1r9626to5_1280.jpg (274 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0l56sxbdS1r9626to5_1280.jpg
274 KB, 1280x720
>>77458629
because thats what you want you fucking shit
maybe next time dont shut down good looking cartoons
>>
>>77458884
He doesn't need any number, it's common fucking sense (evidently not I suppose.) It doesn't take a genius to deduce that drawing a single frame of a show like We Bare Bears, a show in which characters lack fine details and are simplistic in shape, takes less time than drawing a single frame of The Last Airbender. Not all animation is created equal.
>>
>>77470232
All cartoons need waifus in order to be successful.
>>
>>77458629
>tumblr
There goes that meme again.
>>
File: jtron.gif (992 KB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
jtron.gif
992 KB, 240x135
>>77459153
>>one of the greatest looking made for television animations made
Piss off mate
>>
WBB's art style is fine my only problem is the 'animation style' is pretentious... like everything is trying way too hard to be cute...
>>
>>77458629
>Why is it that cartoons are all adopting the same style now?
It's always been like that.
>>
>>77459532
Because GF is the only good cartoon nowadays.
>>
File: 1446988013535.png (442 KB, 791x722) Image search: [Google]
1446988013535.png
442 KB, 791x722
>>77475677

GF is my favourite cartoon, but to call it the only good one is horseshit.
>>
>>77473161
Y'all don't like to admit it, but /co/munists embody many of the same ideals as the tumblr crowd. Like how y'all SAY you don't like hugboxes, but go ape shit over how 'comfy' shows are. You like your shit nonthreatening and pre-chewed, just like they do.
>>
>>77475699
>Saying that GF is the only good cartoon is horseshit
I hope you enjoy your other "great" cartoons like MLP, Harvey Shit, Wander over Tumblr, Tumblr Universe, Autism Time, Cancel it already Show, Todler Titans, Star vs Lel hot girl, Autism Boom.
>>
>>77459509
Which ones do you think are better, then?
I'd like to watch 'em for myself, if I haven't already!
>>
>>77459509
Which ones do you prefer then, anon? Fully agree that GF's art isn't literally perfect GOAT-tier, but I'd like to watch them for myself, if I haven't already.
>>
>>77470349
>it was bogged down with stupid montages which is another problem that show seems to have.
so basically Regular Show?
>>
>>77470232
Well, I'd love to say a "Good mornin'" to her!
>>
>>77475868
You seem like a very sophisticated, mature, and well-adjusted person. I hope nothing bad ever happens to the short bus you go to school in.
>>
>>77460103
>Ironic isn't it? In the beginning Walt Disney wanted animation to be taken seriously as a medium for adults. Once the cash started flowing in he sort of just forgot about all that.
Isn't it after Fantasia flopped that he just shrugged his shoulders and said "I tried, but adults don't just enjoy cartoons, guess making cartoons for kids is the only way to realistically remain from going bankrupt "
>>
>>77473161
Remember, this is post [s4s] 4chan, we now love memes again.
>>
It's because they all went to the same school. It really doesn't have much to do with tumblr.
>>
File: 1409440472863.jpg (423 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1409440472863.jpg
423 KB, 1280x720
>>77458629
>Tumblr garbage
Opinion neatly discarded.
>>
>>77458852
Oh and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is oh so intricate, right? And so is Dexter's Lab, right? Shut up, this has been a thing for decades.
>>
>>77475868
You bet I do, at least half of those show had more quality episodes recently than the second season of Gravity Falls.
>>
>>77460103
>tfw no comfy animated show done in the same style and quality as The Secret Of Kells
Expecting a show to have the same animation quality as a movie is ridiculous. Though Puffin Rock's probably the closest you'll get for style.
>>
I actually like how the people are designed in WBB. They've got fairly realistic proportions whilst still looking cartoony and an actual structure to their body which stays on model. No noodle limbs or arms that stretch 10 feet when a characters reaching for something.
>>
>>77476835
What's wrong with cartoons being cartoons?
>>
>>77458629
>acting like this is new
Kill yourself
>>
>>77476998
Nothing inherently, but it's nice to have the variety.
>>
>>77458629
>tumblr is an adjective
>>
Guess.
>>
>>77477096
>what is evolution of language
>>
>>77477606
>I had an unnerving experience in Canada
That's your fault, Dick. You sucked all the animating talent from that country and harnessed it yourself, you damned animation vampire, you.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.