[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you say Robert Kirkman is an A-list writer? I was having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: robert_kirkman_rect.jpg (237 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
robert_kirkman_rect.jpg
237 KB, 660x440
Would you say Robert Kirkman is an A-list writer?

I was having an argument with my buddy who doesn't think he's A-List because nothing of his sells other than Walking Dead
>>
Nope.
He got lucky as fuck with the timing of his mediocre zombie story getting picked up for a TV show that barely follows it.
>>
Kevin owens is writing comic?
>>
He was then he got up his own ass. His pacing is awful.
>>
Robert Kirkman isn't an A-list writer.
He's an A-list business man.
>>
I saw him on Comedy Bang Bang the other day.

Robert Kirkman and Seth McFarlane are the big comic and cartoon crossover stars. How does that make you feel?
>>
>>77456115
His comics are no match for CM Punk's.
>>
At least he's a better writer than any of the neckbeards that criticize him.
>>
Does Invincible not sell?
>>
>>77456115

Well, I'm not the only one who noticed it then
>>
>>77456593
Not really?

I mean it's fine

> 154 Invincible 124 $2.99 Image 13,186
>>
>>77456124
This. He's a wannabe Mark Millar with one (albeit big) hit.
>>
>>77456124
And we're all better for it. His company publishes Birthright.

I attended a panel his business partner gave at the Game ON Ventures conference. Seems like they are a good opportunity for new talent.

I don't think he writes a lot of books any more because it's not worth if for him financially. Marvel and DC can't really afford him any more, which is probably why he's not seen as A list.
>>
>>77458135
>Marvel and DC can't really afford him any more, which is probably why he's not seen as A list
Even when he was getting Marvel work he was never a huge draw like say Mark Millar
>>
>>77458978
Millar had a ten year head start on Kirkman in the industry.
>>
Is Battle Pope any good? That was his first big thing right?
>>
>>77458135
>Marvel and DC can't really afford him any more
No he wants nothing to do with them, he published a manifesto about leaving The Big 2 and doing exclusively creator owned work
>>
Can anyone explain to me why he hates Marvel so much?

My LCS owner was telling me about how he was shitting on Marvel at a retailer breakfast
>>
>>77460578
He thinks Marvel and DC should target kids again and not the adults who grew up reading them and never stopped.
>>
not A-list but "popular" enough to get a book published at the big 2 without trying too hard
>>
>>77460571
Well, yeah. He saw there was more money in indie and now here we are.
>>
>>77460690
Seriously?

Then why isn't he doing that?
>>
>>77460578
I think part of it was how poorly his Marvel comics were received. He basically killed Ultimate X-Men.
>>
>>77456593
Very well for an indie title.
The artist has repeatedly stated for years that he makes more on that book than he would getting a high page rate at one of the big 2.
>>
>>77461305
He's probably referring more to their stable of characters, which he doesn't have.
>>
>>77460459
Random edgyness.

Not bad.
>>
>>77460690
But... he's incapable of doing that by himself.
>>
>>77462365
Actual edgyness or the stuff that /co/ calls edgyness?
>>
File: kid friendly.jpg (248 KB, 736x524) Image search: [Google]
kid friendly.jpg
248 KB, 736x524
>>77462647
It's about the characters, kids can go see Avengers' movies and the cartoons, play the video games, and buy the toys, but the comics are not meant for them and certainly are't appropriate for them. Pic related

He has done an All Ages book at Image, Super Dinosaur was created purely as something he and the artist could let their kids read
>>
>>77461326
Good for him, I'm glad he's getting paid. I'm not a fan of Millar, on that note, but he also makes sure his artists are well taken care of.
>>
>>77460690
>He thinks Marvel and DC should target kids again and not the adults who grew up reading them and never stopped.

Judging by his output for Marvel when he wrote for them, I'd say he disagrees with himself.
>>
>>77462786
who is sentry evicerating right there
>>
>>77462952
Ares
>>
>>77462860
>Apocalypse is just a delusion of Mr Sinister
>Wolverine as Cable
Funny in retrospect.
>>
>>77462811
Kirkman writes Invincible, not Millar.
>>
>>77463571
>but he also
You missed 3 key words
>>
>>77463672
Wow did I.
Sorry about that.
>>
I'm on the fence with Kirkman. Quality of his books aside, Millar and he turned Image into the TV/Film pitches publisher it's become. But they're both brilliant businessmen in that sense, so I guess that's what matters in the end
>>
>>77462745
More like... silly edgyness. It's not very serious, as you can imagine.

He fucks the Virgin Mary on the regular, Jesus is his mildly retarded sidekick.
>>
>>77462786
All I see is Frank
>>
>>77462860
To be fair, Marvel and DC heavily dictate the tonal direction of their comics, especially in the days Kirkman was there.

But still his own indie work is some of the most violent and adult on shelves.
>>
>>77465265
>silly edgyness
Like Punisher 2099?
>>
File: SiegeFrank.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1981) Image search: [Google]
SiegeFrank.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1981
>>77465305
Once you Frank Frank, you can never Frank Frank
>>
>>77462786
Kirkman is right and there's been a huge backlash lately against this kind of thing that's characteristic of the 2005-2011 era.

There's still the more self-serious, violent and mature stuff of course, but we're seeing a big influx of all-ages comics where before they were pretty much just throwing a bone to their critics. Not only that but we have comics appropriate to different age groups and level of fandom, where before it was pretty much just for adult hardcore fans.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.