[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>DC only has a small handful of characters who are truly beloved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 9
File: 1784265-firewheel_angry.jpg (83 KB, 409x596) Image search: [Google]
1784265-firewheel_angry.jpg
83 KB, 409x596
>DC only has a small handful of characters who are truly beloved
>Marvel has a shitload of characters who are loved but each loved only by their own niche fanbase

Why is it?
>>
>>77411240
It's not casual.
You've never seen fucking Stephanie Brown fans?
>>
>>77411261
No

Also I probably worded my post poorly...but what I'm getting at is when people generally think DC it comes down to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman and Green Lantern if you're being generous

On the opposite end, when people think Marvel they think of any number of the X-Men even irrelevant ones like Gambit or Nightcrawler, any of the Avengers, any of the characters like Daredevil, Punisher, etc

It just seems like DC has a few characters who are loved by more but Marvel has more characters who each are loved by less and more specific fans
>>
>>77411311
I would put the core of the Avengers and X-Men (Cap, Iron Man, Wolverine, Thor) at least on par with the second tier of DC like Flash, Aquaman, GL, and others.

Spider-Man is as popular as Batman and Superman.

Wonder Woman I would put with those three as well but that is more due to recognition. She's still the person people think of when they think female superhero.
>>
>>77411311
That's because DC is more about the single hero and his world while Marvel has been more team centric over the years with F4, The Avengers and the X-men.

It helps that DC push Superman and Batman hard in various media while Marvel pushes Spider-man, X-men, Hulk, F4 and the Avengers (note that I'm talking over the course of decades and not right now)
>>
>>77411240
Because Cap was Right.
>>
>>77411240
Nigger what are you on about, Batfags vs Superfags is one of the biggest feuds in comic fandom
>>
>>77411396
>Spider-Man is as popular as Batman and Superman.
He is not. He sell more toys since most of his fans are kids.
>>
>>77413574
Both are shit characters who wouldn't kill Hitler, though I think Thor missed that opportunity, stupid as that entire thing was anyways.
>>
>>77411240
>This is my face while I'm burning you up the ass
>>
>>77413637
he also sells more comics
>>
>>77413703
And most people don't read comics, a fucking sheppard in irak know who superman is, someone's kryptonite is understood in all over the world, americans are to fucking selfcentric. Spiderman is the third most popular superhero, but is far from the cultural impact Batman or Superman had, my fucking palestinean grandma knows who the joker andthe penguin are.
>>
>>77413643
>Both are shit characters who wouldn't kill Hitler
So the Human Torch (Jim Hammond, not that Storm faggot) is the only good character between Marvel and DC?
>>
>>77413747
then superman is more recognizable, popular implies he is liked, but nobody cares about superman.
>>
>>77413747
Spider-Man is much more popular than Superman

Superman is literally only popular on /co/, in the real world the big two are Batman and Spider-Man....Superman is Aquaman tier to normal people
>>
>>77411311
You're just poorly informed. There are more Tim Drake or Stephanie Brown fans than Nightcrawler or fucking Gambit fans. You got the two confused in the OP post.
>>
>>77413755
Anyone who's willing to kill when necessary and preferably doesn't cry like a bitch if they do. That kind of shit is written for four year olds.
>>
>>77413747
there are no people on this planet who dont know spider-man
everybody knows he does whatever a spider can
>>
>>77413780
>i base my opinion on wat my friends like
>>
>>77413804
>everybody knows he does whatever a spider can

European here, the first time i heard that song and knew it was related to spiderman was watching the simpsons movie. You know why? That cartoon was not popular outside America and had different songs all over the globe.
>>
It's more like

>DC has a handful of characters who are beloved/liked by everyone depending on how casual they are and many characters who are beloved by their niche groups (Blue Beetle, Max Mercury etc)

You were right about Marvel though
>>
>>77413780
> Superman is Aquaman tier to normal people

Everyone knows Superman's logo, tons of people wear t-shirts with it on it

Ask anyone and they probably know what kryptonite is and who Lois Lane and Lex Luthor are. In fact kryptonite has been officially adapted in pop culture vocabulary as a synonym for weakness, it's like the modern version of an Achilles' Heel
>>
>>77413747

This guy is right. The second most recognized symbol in the world is Superman's S, right behind the cross of Christ. Supes is most well-known hero. In terms of most popular, that's harder to nail down. You'd have to ask a shitload of people who their favorite hero is.

No other hero comes close to being the cultural icon Supes is though.
>>
>>77413747
And everyone knows who Hitler is ,doesn't mean everyone likes Hitler.
>>
>>77413782
>There are more Tim Drake or Stephanie Brown fans than Nightcrawler or fucking Gambit fans.

You must not know anybody who isn't from /co/
>>
File: silhouette01.jpg (9 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
silhouette01.jpg
9 KB, 600x316
>>77413885

If 60 years old plebs can't recognize a character from something as simple as this, it means is just not that popular, superman, Batman, mickey mouse, bugs, are all iconic tier, they mean the same in every language. If you talk about kryptonite to a german or a estonian, or an indian, or some bolivian they will all understand.

Spiderman is really really popular, but Americans in their 20s overestimate how recognizable he really is
>>
>>77413885
>Everyone knows Superman's logo, tons of people wear t-shirts with it on it

Punisher merch sells more than Superman merch. I guarantee it
>>
File: l_096.png (11 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
l_096.png
11 KB, 500x500
>>77413930
Pic related.
>>
>ITT: Superfags don't know the difference between recognizable and popular.
>>
>>77413967
> recognizable
The word is iconic
>>
>>77413934
You had never been to a gym m8.ust wrong, but you also forget that a lot of people by punisher's t-shirt thinking is just fucking skull, Superman is Mickey mouse tier.

>hurr durr, my little brother likes ben ten and has never watched any mickey mouse shit, that means ben ten is more popular!
>>
>>77413967
Read this
>>77413990

Iconic goes beyond that. I'm not a superfag, i'm a batfag, and pretending Spiderman is at the same level of Superman or Batman is just plain wrong.
>>
>>77413967
How do you think he got so recognizable in the first place?
>>
>>77414005
Superman is nobodies favorite hero. Everyone knows who he is, and everyone hates him for that.

Superman is the Nickelback of heroes
>>
>>77411240

DC has iconic characters and good story lines. Only hardcore nerds are familiar with it apart from Batman and Superman.

Marvel has obscure characters that are mostly homages and parodies of older DC characters. Fanbase is mostly younger. Marvel is wildly popular lately because of movies but comics and animation isn't very good.
>>
>>77414031
>im not a marvelfag, im a dc fag, and let me tell you dc is infinitely more popular
>>
>>77413921
You're seriously retarded or just poorly informed basement dweller.
>>
File: superfags on suicide watch.png (38 KB, 759x480) Image search: [Google]
superfags on suicide watch.png
38 KB, 759x480
>>
>>77413930
I wa drawing a spiderman in my sketchbook and some random guy in his fifties compliment my Spiderman. I live in Ecuador and comics in here aren't a thing
>>
File: sales[1].gif (18 KB, 826x295) Image search: [Google]
sales[1].gif
18 KB, 826x295
>>77414095
Marvel has been trumping DC in popularity since the 60s senpai
>>
>>77414095
Spider-Man
Wolverine
Gambit
Cap
Iron Man
Venom
Punisher
Hulk

From someone who grew up in the 90s these were probably the most well known Marvel characters (can't speak about today, since MCU changes it all), so what DC characters are each ripping off?
>>
>>77411240

Superman and Batman are cultural icons. Rest of DC is great but only comic readers really are aware of it. DC cartoons and comics are pretty rich with lore and world building.

Spiderman is beloved. Rest of Marvel is pretty much literally-who tier apart from characters that have appeared in movies in the last few years. Marvel comics and cartoons are awful tier and full pander mode.

Image, Darkhorse, Valient etc. are cool but no one knows what any of this means apart from people on /co/
>>
>>77414167
The X-men were insanely popular before the movies
>>
>>77414158

Superman
Batman
Who?
Superman
Batman
Who?
Batman
Etrigan
>>
>>77414181

Sorry I meant to say Spiderman and various Xmen characters are beloved. Most people don't know shit about the Avengers or FF apart from movie fags.
>>
>>77414155

I like how it stops at 1987 when Marvel almost went bankrupt and sold most of their character rights which is why your precious MCU feels oddly empty lol
>>
>>77414100
>DC is infinitely more Iconic
FTFY and it is.
>>
>>77413780
>Superman is Aquaman tier to normal people
Found the retard
>>
>>77414059
I don't understand the nickelback comment, since i'm not american. This is the same thing that happens when americans insist P.diddy or the guy from the gay fish jokes are "huge stars" or bigger than ACDC. Outside your country things are different.

Superman was the favorite superhero of your grandpa, he grew up and stopped buying comics and toys, that doesnt mean he doesnt like it anymore.

Spiderman is huge among his TARGET AUDIENCE, that doesnt mean is more popular.
>>
>>77414182
Spider-Man was a teenaged hero who could be anybody, literally the opposite of Superman
Wolverine was a midget with anger issues who liked gutting people, nothing like Batman who is a stoic
You obviously weren't around in the 90s
Cap and Superman have nothing in common other than two colors
Batman and Iron Man have nothing in common other than money
You obviously are 12
Punisher is a character, like Wolverine, DC has been trying to copy forever now
No
>>
>>77414236
Nickelback is Canadian you idiot
>>
File: comics.png (30 KB, 850x522) Image search: [Google]
comics.png
30 KB, 850x522
Wow, wonder if the films might spark some interest.
>>
>>77414115
How can you be so dense? That's one product for a target market, in one country

>>77414144
You are the target audience you idiot. And i was talking about minimalistic iconography. Not a full drawn.
>>
Difficult question.
Recently I stopped reading marvel altogether, and started getting some obscure DC stuff, like post-morrison Animal Man, The Question, Ragman, plus also reading some digital scans of Green Arrow, Captain Atom, etc.

In many ways The Question, The Spectre, Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Sandman, Hellblazer > everything that marvel ever did except Simonson's Thor, Miller's DD and Claremont's X-Men.

DC always had better stories, but Marvel seems to have more popular characters.

The reason that Marvel got popular was because they always tried to catch the hip / teenager audience. Even today you have books like Squirrel Girl, Ms Marvel. They might be crap, but they are popular among the kids of today.

Another thing is that DC is conservative. Even when you get a straight superhero stories, they are less flashy, and more serious, sometimes experimental. Marvel is more flashy, colorful and maybe they have a better overall appeal? I don't know.

In many ways, Marvel is easier to get into.
It doesn't change the fact that I love discovering new DC stuff. I'm going to get into Resurrection Man and Deadman (another problem with DC might be that their heroes get a very generic names)
>>
>>77414225
First of all, you are greatly misinformed, Marvel did not go bankrupt before 1996, and they were back to top by 2004 easily.

They didn't sell their character rights to avoid bunkraptcy, they sold many of them way before because they had no real cinematic value back then.
>>
/co/ seems to think that casuals not liking Supes means they dont know him
he really is the most well-known superhero out there, even if most western 20 somethings are more familiar with batman these days

you would really be hard-pressed to find any one who's ever been in contact with western civilization that doesnt know supes
>>
>>77414295
i selected worldwide search doofus

do you even know how google trends work?
>>
>>77414182
Fuck off casual
>>
>>77414259
And the joke is American, and more important, it shows that Americans are so selfcentric that they believe Nickelback is popular outside their country.
>>
>>77414225
Marvel history if funny. They rose so high only to fall on their shoulders. After the success of 60s books, the 70s, despite the quality, Marvel had many internal problems with editors and deadlines.

Then Shooter came and saved the company and made it what it's today. In 90s Marvel dominated only to go bankrupt.

Again, nowadays Marvel dominates the sales, and they do it the same way they did in 90s. The question is, when will Marvel fall, and what will happen to them. Will their Sugar Daddy save them, or close the doors of the publishing?

After all, comic book sales are nothing compared to merchandising and movies.
>>
>>77414339
no, you idiot, superfags think that just because people know him, he is likable and popular.
>>
>>77414239
While Punisher is good, DC did many grim n gritty characters better. Frankly, I feel like Punisher would belong better in DC
>>
>>77414239

Spiderman isn't Superman. Works at the news, is a nerd, working class, has an alter ego that wears red and blue with a ridiculous power set. Okay.

Wolverine is on every Marvel team and is a huge asshole. Has a pointy cowl and is needlessly edgy. If you don't think he is Marvel's Batman then you are either a Moon Knight fag or delusional.

Cap and Superman are hilariously similar. Both were viewed as patriarchal stooges of the state that became default leaders of their super teams also haha Red and blue costume.

Batman and Iron Man are extremely similar. Both obsessed with honoring father's company, both are assholes with poor people skills and questionable ethics. Lets not forget the insane money used soley for retarded gadgets that would be better used by the military.

Punisher isn't much different than Hit-Man, Vigilante, The Question, The Spirit, The Shadow and Batman. To pretend he is something else is pretty gay. He is even more one-note than these previous characters...
>>
>>77414339
Everybody knows Superman, nobody likes him
>>
>>77414364
nice wishful thinking there dcÏ…ck, but marvel went bankrupt because they tried to bypass diamond and distribute their comics.
>>
>>77414366
i see idiots on both sides of the argument

superman is the most well known superhero in the world

popularity is incredibly hard to measure, but going by sales metrics and public interests he might not even break top 5 any more
>>
>>77414345
I'm pretty sure 40 years farmers in Peru do google searchs about Spiderman or Superman, fucking idiot, but i was talking about the other graph.
>>
>>77414415
I'm not a dkek. I do believe that Marvel is doing many bad moves and that they didn't learn anything from 90s
>>
>>77414408
that was basically my point yeah
although "nobody" is obviously greatly exaggerated
>>
>>77414303

This is the right answer. While both companies have there pros and cons it's not hard to figure out that DC has more solid story lines and experimental characters while Marvel is easier to get into and flashier overall. DC is more old school and has been historically abit behind the times while Marvel is very much trying to be real-world and I hate using this word...but does alot more pandering.
>>
>>77414395
>Wolverine is on every Marvel team and is a huge asshole. Has a pointy cowl and is needlessly edgy. If you don't think he is Marvel's Batman then you are either a Moon Knight fag or delusional.

By that logic Optimus Prime is the same character as Megatron because they're both transforming robots. The similarities between Batman and Wolverine start and end with pointy mask and popularity

>Batman and Iron Man are extremely similar. Both obsessed with honoring father's company, both are assholes with poor people skills and questionable ethics. Lets not forget the insane money used soley for retarded gadgets that would be better used by the military.

Batman and Iron Man are extremely different as well, their only similarities are surface level. Iron Man is a rock star, Batman is a ninja

>2015
>still using gay and edgy
>>
>>77414477

>Referencing the Transformers (full pleb)
>Bruce Wayne and Batman aren't rock stars

GTFO
>>
>>77414031

I hope you realize Spider-man is the most famous hero on the planet ALONGSIDE Bats and Supes.
>>
>>77414463
They always did. Even in Stan Lee's era. Dr Strange was popular among hippies.
>>
>>77414516
gsfgsfgsf
>>
Help me here Co,

In no particular order

A-list
Spiderman
Batman
Superman

A-minus - list
Wonder woman
Wolverine

B+ list
Captain America
Green Lantern as s general character archetype
Robin as a general character archetype
Dick Grayson as Robin
Flash
Iron man
Venom
X-men as a whole,including but not limited to cyclops, Jean grey, beast, professor X,magneto
Fantastic 4 as a unit
Batman's rogues gallery as a unit, joker penguin twoface and catwoman as individuals
The sinister six as a unit.
Darkseid as a Superman villain
John Stewart as an individual green Lantern goes at the bottom of this list.

B-list
Aquaman
Thor
Fantastic four as individuals
Dr Doom
The first members of the sinister six as individuals
Spider-man's rogues as a unit
The flash's rogues as a unit
The rest of Batman's rogues as individuals

B-minus list
Martian manhunter
Hal Jordan
Popular non essential members of the justice League
Static
Nightwing

C+tier
Captain marvel despite previous popularity
JLI
Kyle Rayner
Teen titans as a team
Cable
Deadpool

C tier
All hero teams that were ever popular, including but not limited to Doom patrol, all those confusing X teams in the 90s, justice League dark, legion of superheroes.
>>
>>77414546
?
>>
File: Iamavirgin.gif (22 KB, 299x381) Image search: [Google]
Iamavirgin.gif
22 KB, 299x381
>>77414182
How is Spider-Man anything like Superman?

Wolverine is very similar to Batman in that they're both rough characters, but Wolverine wasn't a copy. In fact, he started as a Hulk villain, with little intention of ripping off DC's beloved Dark Knight. You could make the argument that over time they wrote Wolverine to emulate Batman's aspects, but that's still somewhat of a stretch.

Gambit is also an X-Man.

Superman is an alien from another planet. Captain America is a physically enhanced World War II super-soldier. Besides both fighting for America and upholding its ideals of truth and justice, there's little else similar between them.

Iron Man started in Stan Lee's mind as an experiment of sorts. He wanted to see if he could turn a culturally negative figure during the Vietnam War era, a merchant-of-death businessman, into a hero for good. Batman's parents were killed and he swore his life and fortune to bringing justice to the streets of Gotham. Both are rich and very intelligent, imbued with the latest technology to achieve their goals, but again, as with Cap and Supes, the similarities end there.

You don't know who Venom is? That's.... actually kind of an interesting.

The Punisher, like Wolverine, began as a villain, though this time as an opponent of Spider-Man. True, they both possess similar origin stories in which they both lose their families and they both use gadgets, but Punisher's means of justice as well as moral fiber is much different from Batman's. Besides both being, like the Wolverine-Batman comparison, gritty fighters in harsh worlds, there's little evidence that the Punisher was an attempted clone of Batman.

I don't know much about Etrigan, but I think you may as well have a better claim that Nightcrawler was a copy of him than the Hulk. The Hulk's primary inspiration was a combination of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "Frankenstein". In fact, before anger ever played a role, the original(gray) Hulk transformed whenever night fell.
>>
>>77414548
i think deadpool should be higher, the internet has made him pretty popular among the non-comic reading crowd
>>
>>77414516
>being a 00s baby
>batman isn't even an alcoholic

GTFO
How to tell a 00s kid? They think you can be a rock star without drugs or alcohol
>>
>>77414563
If he were to go higher I think I'd put him at b at the highest. I think being on screen or heavy consideration to be on screen should be a sign that you are solid b or above,but the minuses are there to show people who were once a solid tier but have fallen, but I wouldn't put them in the tier below.

So yes Deadpool would be in by guess since he's getting a movie.
>>
>>77414625
Think they're also planning a sequel.
>>
>>77414395

Who owns The Spirit now?
>>
>>77414548
You forgot Hulk which I would put at B+. I'd include certain supporting casts on the B+ list as well (Mainly Superman's, Batman's, and Spider-Man's). I'd give Green Arrow a bump to C+ for now based on the show.

I wouldn't put Martian Manhunter, Cable, Kyle Rayner, or the JLI on the list at all.
>>
>>77414521
He is a popular third, not close at all to the ICONIC 2.
>>
>>77414548
Spiderman is too high. Robin is way more well known that any marvel character.
>>
>>77414751
I don't think he is WAY more popular.
Robin might be well known, though
>>
File: Untitled.png (26 KB, 761x415) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
26 KB, 761x415
>>77414751
you are like 1200% wrong
>>
>>77414694
Hrm,
Hulk was a mistake, but yes I'd put. Him on b+
I don't think anybody other than luthor metallo, and bizarro should go above b. Superman tends to share a lot of villains. For example how I mentioned darkseid.

I did mention the sinister six, the core of Batman's rogues and the rest of spider-man rogues pretty high

The list is also dreadfully incomplete, but it's a WIP

I just wanted to note that DC has a higher percentage of A characters while marvel has a higher percentage of B characters
>>
DC fags have a bloated sense of importance with their characters since there are so few anybody likes (lets be honest, there are only two and only one of them is broadly popular(

Its comparable to living in a school cafeteria so you think EVERYONE loved elios pizza day, when in reality it's only special to you because it's the best of your very small confined world
>>
>>77411240
DC media is way too batman focused, meaning that outside of people that actually read comics, very few characters get the recognition they deserve, Marvel's media is way more varied thus allowing a bigger exposure of their characters, but in the comics themselves i say they are about the same
>>
Hey DCfags, if Superman is so popular, how come he needed Batman to save his ass in his own movie sequel giving Batman the top biling as well?
>>
>>77414751
Robin is and will always be B+ until he gets his own solo movie or there is a more popular teen titans adaptation with him as leader. Then I'd nominate him for A list.

Spider-man is a list, period. I'm not going to argue about whether superman or batman are more popular, but he's definitely above wonder woman.
>>
>>77414900

Because grimdark capeshit is what they're going for rather than the campy area of the market Marvel operates in, they are rushing out the JL to catch up to Marvel and no one does grimdark quite like Batman
>>
>>77414548
>A through C tiers
>And then everything else
I think your list is too compressed, in general. Trying not to hurt too many feelings?

I think you have sinister six, darkseid, and Jon Stewart too high.

If we're including "casual" knowledge/popularity, I think you have Flash's rogues too high.

Deadpool should be much higher nowadays.

"Other Popular Justice League Members" should probably be lower. Teen Titans higher.
>>
File: 1441400221228.jpg (57 KB, 209x470) Image search: [Google]
1441400221228.jpg
57 KB, 209x470
>>77414966
>Batman
>Dark

His rogues maybe...who would make a great hitlist for a Frank I can think of
>>
>>77415038
It's more like I am at work and don't want to dwell, and that I also forgot a lot of things
>>
Does anyone else really want a Question solo movie? There are so many great minor jl characters that get so little attention, it shocks me how few Flash fans even know about Max Mercury, Impulse, Jessy Quick and all the other speedsters besides Barry and Wally
>>
>>77415119
they will know jessie now that she'll make an appearance in the cw soap opera
>>
>>77415119
None of the people you mentioned except for Bart have shown up in anything besides comics.
>>
>>77415067

Literally the only difference is that one kills and one doesn't, they are both tortured souls exacting vengeance. Lower ratings=more money senpai.
>>
>>77413747
Actually Spider-Man is way more popular than both Batman and Superman combined.
>>
>>77415257
The really sad thing is that you probably really believe this.
>>
>>77415257
That's a possibility
>>
>>77415266
I think that he meant popular, as in, more liked
>>
>>77414548
>A-List
Spider-Man
Batman
Superman
Wolverine

>A-minus List
Hulk

>B+ List
WW

fix'd
>>
>>77415309
God...
Marvelfags are delutional
>>
>>77415309
Maybe in the 90s, but even still you're forgetting how popular now forgotten characters like Gambit were or now less popular characters like Venom

These days Iron Man is THE most popular super hero, probably only competition is Batman for that spot....I talk to lots of teenagers, they all love Iron Man

In my day Iron Man was like a character you felt like normies didn't know, but you knew cause he was in popular video games
>>
>>77415398
>Me
>Capeshitfag

nigga gtfo of my face
>>
>>77415398
I don't think they are my friend
If he said
A-List
Daredevil
Elektra
Ghost Rider
Punisher

then yes, he would be delusional
>>
>>77415413
Everyone keeps saying that Iron Man is the most popular hero, but I don't see it. I feel like it's either a meme, or some massive trolling.
>>
>>77415444
trips confirm the truth
>>
>>77415309
No,hulk is not that popular and neither is wolverine

Wonder woman is the only female hero that people can name without help, that virtue self loops into making her more popular, but not as much as batman superman or spider-man

Wolverine is the most popular xman by far, but not as popular as wonder woman
>>
>>77415465
I think you missed the 90s. They elevated Wolverine to the iconic status. Also, Hugh Jackman
>>
>>77415465
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Wonder%20Woman%2C%20Hulk%2C%20Wolverine&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-2
>>
>>77415502
>Wonder Woman is the most popular character in Trinidad and Tobago
>>
>>77413643
>Both are shit characters who wouldn't kill Hitler
Anyone that would kill Hitler is an idiot, you're dooming the future.
>>
>>77415444
You don't talk to any young people if you don't think Iron Man is the most popular hero these days

>>77415465
Wolverine isn't that popular now, he was....Wolverine was top tier A lister all through the 90s
>>
>>77415502
>>77415502
I'm totally going to use this thanks

>related searches for hulk
>a third of the related results are about completely different things

I'll think about it
>>
>>77415561
>You don't talk to any young people
Well, I'm not a pedo.
Out of curiosity, what kids like about Iron Man?
>>
>>77415585
>RDJ is so hot, nerdy and quirky lmao XDDD

Kids nowadays are pretentious little twats
>>
>>77415561
It's one of the reason I put him in A-minus

The minus is for fallen heroes who attained status in a list at a letter but fell from popularity and are still in mind space, so I don't put them in the letter below

Only exception is Shazam/captain marvel, he got the shortest end of the stick
>>
>>77415585

It's called the MCU and it made superheroes previously unknown to normies wildly popular because pandering
>>
>>77415621

I feel like Aquaman is pretty well known because of the Aquaman is useless meme
>>
>>77415611
>>77415638
Aha, in other words iron man has 5 minutes of fame. I'm sorry, I thought that we were talking about characters popular comic-wise
>>
>>77415638
>because pandering
It's called marketing, a lot of books in the all new all different line are pandering, but the mcu making heroes popular is marketing
>>
>>77414827
When I said supporting casts, I meant more the side-characters that tend to become well known by association. Lois Lane, Alfred, Aunt May, etc. But thinking about it, B+ probably is too high for them. It's hard to say because while they are recognizable I'm not sure how popular they are.
>>
>>77415585
>Out of curiosity, what kids like about Iron Man?

He's the star of the Avengers and most of them grew up with the Iron Man movie the same way we grew up with Batman 89

>>77415638
You don't know what pandering means
>>
>>77415653
WW and Batman owe a huge part of their popularity to their 60s tv shows.

Batman became even more iconic in the 80s with Miller.

Don't take the movies as something contemporary, and don't act like any change is bad change.

Ironman now is popular and that's what matters.
>>
>>77415659
Lois might be B minus because she has her own ongoing, and probably is more important to the mythos than his other supporting cast except luthor.

I think you'd have to go through each character with a comb to see, but I think that if robin as a concept is B+at best, then supporting characters except for real standouts like Lois are c tier
>>
>>77415691
>the same way we grew up with Batman 89
I get what you mean, but I grew up more with the Batman cartoon. My parents didn't let me watch the movie until I got older.
>>
>>77411240
marketing--why have one homogenous product that is universally loved when you can have 600 different products that promote competition amongst it's consumers?

wide net catches more fish, etc.
>>
>>77415719
I only wish it would lead to some great stories.
Except for Superior Iron Man, IM doesn't have much great stories. And neither great cartoons.
It does feel sad that kids today will never give a shit about comics and cartoons at all.
I always wanted Iron Man to go Teknoman route.
>>
>>77414729
In america, maybe.
>>
>>77415778
True, but look at WW.

She's supposed to be iconic, but her iconic stories can be counted in Nick Vujicic's fingers.
>>
>>77415820

Low blow senpai. But why is WW part of the trinity, really?
>>
>>77415778
>Implying that smug nigger doesn't have any good stories

You clearly don't read comics.
>>
>>77415638
>popular

http://www.techinsider.io/the-most-popular-halloween-costumes-in-2015-2015-10

kek, even with all the movies, Marvel is still years behind DC
>>
>>77416120
yeah, dc is so popular with sluts
>>
As a general qualifier for the list just above this post, this is a pretty general way to qualify characters:

D list characters have shown up or made cameos in one non comic medium. They are automatically on this list or higher (the question was in JLU and pretty prominently)

C list characters have led their own individual story on a non comic medium or show up on multiple non comic media (think green arrow because of arrow,but you'll see why he's here when I explain the next one)

B list characters have led multiple non comic media or are prominent staples of the mythos of a list characters. The flash has had 2 tv shows and is getting a movie. captain America has four movies (2 modern) and shows up in other things a lot

A list characters are superman, wolverine, spider-man, batman, and wonder woman. There may be more but I think those are the truly most common answers when you ask anybody "name me a DC/marvel character"

Characters can move up to a new list, but can never move down a list, except for captain marvel, who is an extraneous case

Characters who seriously lost popularity but are on a list go in the minus tier of the list. This changes as new media with that character leading comes out

Characters who often gain popularity but not enough to go to a new list go in the plus tier, this can change with new media.

No independent comic character besides static should be above c tier, the stranglehold of marvel/DC on the comics medium is too strong.
>>
>>77416161
Look at the rest of the top 50. There's less MArvel characters in the top 50 than DC ones in the top 5.

To the point POISON IVY is more popular than CAPTAIN AMERICA
>>
>>77411311
Because Marvel makes more movies and movies determine popularity
>>
>>77416204
she's also more popular than Superman by that standards.
>>
>>77416189

What about lads like Booster Gold or Roxy Rocket, they had storylines in the animated series but no one knows who they are
>>
>>77414273
Marvel already has too much of a head start. DC will never catch up.
>>
>>77416318
Booster is d+because he never led aa full run of a medium outside of comics, c the second the rumors of a blue and gold movie are true because he'll be co leading that movie

Roxy is d minus, she never showed up again. So she fell from popularity

There are other heroes and other lists, but I think d is where people start getting notable because they have been marketed.

For example, despite there being an Invincible narrated comic show on mtv you could argue he's c list, but because that was actually barely animated I wouldn't put it in c list, he'd be c minus at the highest, but because I think he's a fairly popular comic having shown up in the avengers comic, he is d+minimum

For example
>>
>>77414366
>he is likable and popular

But he is.

Oh, wasting my time
>>
>>77413780
You're a fucking moron.
>>
>>77417451
friendly reminder that a bunch of d-listers from marvel destroyed Man of Steel in the box office.

take it as you will, but people don't care about superman.
>>
>>77417910
No, I'm honest. Nobody likes Superman
>>
>>77411240
DC is all about niche fanbases. Look at Swamp Thing, or Constaintine, or Lobo, or Rogues, or the fucking Doom Patrol which has a sizeable fanbase centered only around a specific take on the team.
>>
>>77417451
>>77418059
Superman is the character who personifies every super hero parody...he's the big jawed jock in tights with a silly name like ULTRAMAN or MEGAGUY...nobody likes him

I don't even hate Superman but his fans need a reality check, he's iconic in the same way McDonalds is iconic for selling burgers
>>
>>77418059
Friendly reminder this is a comic book board.
>>
>>77414095
>animation isn't very good

EMH is good, armored adventures was good and either spectacular spider-man or the other spider-man was well received. Wolverine and the X-Men seemed promising but apparently that was not a popular sentiment since it got canned pretty quickly.

all the 90s x-men, iron man, spider-man, etc series have aged poorly in comparison to the Batman, Superman and Justice league series from around the same time

DC is trouncing Marvel in terms of TV, Daredevil was good but everyone binge watched that the week it came out. Meanwhile Agents of Shield is pretty bad. So is Arrow but the fact that Supergirl, Gotham and the Flash all exist as well is very significant in that arena.
>>
>itt: people who are on /co/ to fap to subpar 2000s cartoons discuss theoretical aspects of the role of capeshit popculture without necessary preparations because man, gotta jack off to that Hartman show
>>
>>77418723

>be little kid
>read superman
>one day realize life isn't that easy
>realize superman is just a barbie for boys
>start reading x men instead
>>
>>77418934
>X-Men
but that's even worse
>>
>>77411240
Well that's why Marvel sells more. They have generally more characters that are liked, sadly
>>
>>77418993
In what way
>>
>>77419052
>cheap relationship drama
>sniktbub, the basis for all edgy hero parodies
>>
>>77419089
>sniktbub
>edgy

you know, edgy is generally used as a compliment in every medium that isn't well....this board

edgy=something that is cutting edge and different from the norm

and yeah, as a kid reading comics wolverine and all anti heroes were far more interesting than superman who just represented a good looking perfect american who also happens to have the ability of being a god
>>
>>77419154
Grandpa, "edgy" didn't mean this in like a decade. It's pretty much universally considered a negative term now, refering to cheap shock effect in the vein of Millar's work.

What does Wolverine represent to you? Because the narrative tends to treat him like Superman except more extreme, allowed to kill more people and sleep with multiple women. Didn't appeal to me as a kid and doesn't appeal to me as an adult, while teenage years are a dark period for everyone and shall not be mentioned.
>>
>>77419260
>universally considered a negative term now

You need to get out of your basement and talk to real normal people once in a while.
>>
>>77419288
basement dwellers are the edgy ones though
>>
>>77419260
>What does Wolverine represent to you?

The idea that morality isn't objective, the definition of a hero is much more broad than some comic book ten commandments of what not to do, and that anybody can be a hero without looking like a male model
>>
>>77419342
sure, buddy.

Very edgy.

Talk to some fucking people outside of your little internet niche. You are getting delusional.
>>
>>77419260
If you work in comedy and are called "edgy", it's a good thing. It being negative literally only is a thing on places like 4chan
>>
>>77419378
but Wolverine hasn't looked unattractive in years
>>
>>77413895
>No other hero comes close to being the cultural icon Supes is though.
Ultraman, maybe
>>
>>77418774
sure you know that GotG trumped Superman in comics too
>>
>>77413895
Godzilla and Gamera did
>>
>>77414387

Punisher in DC would have two outcomes: he burns bright and short, or is another winner of the revolving door prison system.
>>
>>77419571
Probably does, but that movie is horse shit anyway
>>
>>77411240
Marvel is more willing to play fast and loose with how different writers are allowed to depict the characters.

Ask any Marvel fan about their favorite character and most will admit that there's only a couple writer's runs that they really like, and the rest were okay at best

But that's all Marvel needs, just one interpretation of that character that caters to your specific tastes. and the more very different ways each character is depicted, the more of such specific tastes they hit upon along the way, dragging new fans into that character's gravity.
>>
>>77413930
dude you don't realize how popular spiderman merchandising is. Much greater than superman's or batmans, and his symbols are more esily recongizable.
Even some old dude with no tv and who never read comics will recognize spiderman from some children toys or ads. even shitty spiderman knockoffs.
Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.