[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Hunchback the best of the Underrated Disney films?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8
Is Hunchback the best of the Underrated Disney films?
>>
>>77409568
Yes, without the Gargoyles.
>>
>>77409687

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlo0cQKEHWM
>>
>>77409700
Nice song. However, it does not fit the tone of the movie at all, and pretty much stops it dead in its tracks.
>>
>>77409715
Immediately after song she's kissing someone else
>>
>>77409735

Not surprising considering the moral of the story is that some people are just meant to not have romantic love (though everyone does deserve platonic love)
>>
>>77409744

But he get's a romantic partner in the sequel?
>>
>>77409700
>>77409715
>>77409735
You know, thinking about it, the Gargoyles are fucking assholes who are the driving force for more than half the shit Quasimodo gets himself into.

>Urge him to go to the Festival of Fools against Frollo's orders
>This puts Quasi in a position where he's being practically tortured in front of hundreds of people, Frollo included
>Later in the movie
>Gargoyles convince Quasimodo that Esmerelda has the hots for him, get his hopes really high up
>Esmerelda ends up kissing Phoebus in front of him just a few scenes later, which just crushes his heart

They did more harm than good in many ways, not just being unnecessary comic relief.
>>
File: Treasure-planet.jpg (969 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Treasure-planet.jpg
969 KB, 1920x1080
>>77409568
nope
>>
>>77410809

>That Soundtrack

Ehhhhh....
>>
>>77410809

Why did it flop? Was the competition stiff that year?
>>
What counts as "underrated" for the films? Low critic scores? Least mentioned?

I'd go with Black Cauldron I guess. Disney have pretty much wiped that from existence.
>>
Basil the Great Mouse Detective is the most underrated desu.
>>
>>77411287

But the Great Mouse Detective is actually just bad, besides that ONE song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2IctxaCPqw
>>
>>77411287
TGMD is very generic and outside Rattagen it's a very meh film
>>
>>77411269
I would say Black Cauldron deserves its lot.
Its just not that great of a film. Decent but thats all really.
>>
That's actually a good way of putting it. Maybe not the best overall, but the best lesser-known film
>>
File: WHO PUT YOU ON THE PLANET.jpg (169 KB, 998x1002) Image search: [Google]
WHO PUT YOU ON THE PLANET.jpg
169 KB, 998x1002
>>77411310
>>77411332
>>
>>77411310
its not a good song, you just like the prostitute rat
>>
>>77412626

It's more than I have an intense hunger for women who comfort lonely men and seeing how that is the theme of the song, well...
>>
It's either Great Mouse Detective, Treasure Planet, or Meet The Robinsons. As something from the 90s Disney renaissance, no fucking way is it obscure. Fuck, it even got a world in a Kingdom Hearts game (The 3DS one.) before Pocahontas, and that one (Despite being kinda shitty.) is more iconic.
>>
>>77410897

>Not loving this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6uLPBwouw

Faggot
>>
>>77412713

I'm not sure we should really be using one of the most autistic video game series out there as our ruler for what is and is not obscure...
>>
>>77412741

It also got a DTV sequel so that takes it out of the "Obscure and Disney doesn't give a shit about" pile.

Though then again so did Atlantis but it was more of a compilation of episodes from a unused TV series.
>>
>>77411269
"Underrated" is 4chan synonym for "movies that people don't praise 24/7 like I do".
>>
>>77412713
obscure and underrated aren't synonyms, dipshit.
The Great Mouse Detective is obscure, Tarzan is underrated.
>>
>>77411406

It was kinda week though. I mean Hunchback was a much better edgy Disney film since it had subsistence rather than being Disney's attempt at following the edgy wave of animated films in the early 80s.
>>
>>77412790

>Tarzan underrated
>TV show
>DTV sequel and a prequel
>World in the first Kingdom Hearts game before it went to copyright hell.

Then again a random DTV Mickey movie (Three Musketeers) got a whole world in the 3DS game.
>>
>>77412824
>Then again a random DTV Mickey movie (Three Musketeers) got a whole world in the 3DS game.
Exactly, so shut the fuck up.
Out of the Disney Renaissance, Tarzan and Hunchback are the least talked about/popular movies.
>>
>>77411245
It would have been better if they dropped the space shit and just made Treasure Island, but then I suppose Disney already made a GOAT Treasure Island musical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
>>
Nightmare Before Christmas was kinda underrated until it's anniversary in 2002 as well as it's world in the first Kingdom Hearts (Even the GBA game and 2.) made it official renaissance.
>>
>>77409568
No, he shouldve brutally beaten and killed the man who stole his love inerest, its a fucking abomination that the only deformed disney character doesnt have a happy ending, that stupid gypsy shouod be gassed for what she did.
>>
>>77412916

>Only deformed Disney character
>Who is The Beast?
>Who is Jack Skellington?
>Who is Kuzco when he got turned into a llama?
>Who is Tiana when she got turned into a frog?
>Who is Demolish-It Donny?
>>
>>77412942
Ralph isn't deformed, he was designed that way.
>>
>>77412942

People who all got better or ended up with someone just as deformed as themselves.
>>
>Fugly white guy
>Spends virtually his entire life in the attic
>You know Frollo was whipping the shit out of Quasi on the reg
>Constantly tricked into doing stupid shit by his own imaginary friends, presumably so they could laugh at him
>Sacrifices his home and the only person who ever cared for him for a gypsy
>Gypsy doesn't even give it up, immediately starts making out with the attractive guy

Is Quasi the king of all betas?
>>
>Who is The Beast?
Cursed and handsome again by movie's end.
>Who is Jack Skellington?
A sexy skeleton.
>Who is Kuzco when he got turned into a llama?
A sexy llama and back to normal by the end.
>Who is Tiana when she got turned into a frog?
Had a frog companion of the opposite gender the whole movie and was back to normal by the end also.
>Who is Demolish-It Donny?
I don't think there was any focus on his appearance whatsoever, it was his reputation that made him an outcast.
>>
Quasimodo x Rapunzel !
>>
>>77412978
>>77412942
>>
>>77409568
It's shit, son.
>>
Remember kids, you don't deserve love if you're ugly
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1HKnZZg_M4
>>
>>77413005
In the original novel doesn't Esmerelda die and Quasimodo lie down next to her corpse in her tomb forever?

Also there was a sequel.
>>
>>77412962

>Deformed as themselves.
>Who is Belle?
>Who is Naveen?
>>
>>77413005

Hunchback never made any claims about what ugly people do or do not deserve.

It only put forth the idea that ugly people will not get romantic love, no matter how much good they do.
>>
>>77412851
Being the least talked about of the Disney Renaissance isn't the same as underrated.

Literally every Disney movie is underrated if it's in comparison to Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.
>>
>>77411245
It came out on the same weekend as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
Bad move.
>>
>>77413021

I thought he killed her in the original

Regardless we're talking about the Disney movie, which was aimed at children and probably tried to convey some sort of moral on some level, and the one that stuck with people the most (apparently) is that uggos should stay in their fucking attics/basements and play with their dolls.
>>
>>77413038
The Lion King is immensely overrated. Outside of Be Prepared and Circle of Life all the songs were terrible.
>>
>>77413053
I haven't read it since high school, but as I recall she was hanged after Quasimodo tried his damnedest to save her.
>>
>>77413038

>If it's compared to LK or BATB
>What is Snow White?
>What is Pinocchio?
>What is Fantasia?
>What is Bambi?
>What is Peter Pan?
>What is The Little Mermaid?
>What is Aladdin?
>>
>>77412993
>>77412978
>>
File: Board my god.jpg (183 KB, 716x494) Image search: [Google]
Board my god.jpg
183 KB, 716x494
>>77413031
>ugly people will not get romantic love, no matter how much good they do.

I just wish they had done a better job of setting up why Esmeralda fell in romantically with Pheobus after he helps her all while ignoring Quasi romantically despite all he had done to help her.
>>
>>77413102
I went with BATB because it was nominated for the Best Picture and LK due to making a literal butt-ton of money compared to any other animated film before it and still stands out even with inflation.
>>
>>77409568
Yes, but the stage show's even better.

>>77409700
This song worked well on stage, but they cut it out and replaced it with something totally pointless because people on the internet have a hateboner for it.
>>
>>77413123
>all he had done to help her.
What all exactly did Quasi do to help her?
>>
>>77413191

The hiding, the feeding, the escaping, etc.
>>
>>77413195
Do you fall in love with anyone that helps you?
>>
>>77413164
>but they cut it out and replaced it with something totally pointless

Flight Into Egypt is neat though.
>>
>>77413216

Yes

Every time anyone shows me the smallest bit of kindness, I fall a little bit in love

It's not very often that anyone shows me any kind of affection or kindness
>>
>>77413164
I fucking hate how all the best songs are Broadway exclusives. It was the same for Beauty and the Beast and Lion King.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMXR_4_gX84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJqaxkBRro
>>
>>77413232

>Forgetting the best Broadway-only Disney song

Anon, pls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGN5981jJm8
>>
>>77410776
Aren't they hallucinations? They're basically a metaphorical representation of Quasimodo convincing himself to get himself into these things.

Just look at their song. The nice things they say about Quasimodo sound more like insults. This is because he's trying to think of something nice to say about himself to build up his confidence and failing.
>>
>>77413232
Hunchback isn't on Broadway yet.
>>
>>77413242
I didn't forget it anon, I just didn't list Aladdin. Great song, although. I wouldn't call it Broadway exclusive though since they did actually record a demo.
>>
>>77413257
>yet

It's dead senpai.
>>
>>77413257
Just pretend I said stage show.
>>
>>77413226
hang in there buddy
>>
>>77413123
Because Phoebus had also risked his life to help her and other innocent people, but unlike Quasi wasn't ugly and socially retarded.
>>
>>77413322
>socially retarded

A little bit too trusting in the goodness of humanity, but I wouldn't go as far to say that he's socially retarded.

If anything, he's shown to be very well adjusted for someone who's had no verbal contact with anyone besides Frollo
>>
File: claude frollo.png (441 KB, 750x1158) Image search: [Google]
claude frollo.png
441 KB, 750x1158
Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame takes place in an alternate universe where Archdeacon Claude Frollo's brother dies, so in bitterness and grief he steps down to become a judge and puts effort into educating Quasimodo, instead.
>>
>>77413364
He talks to statues.
>>
>>77413444

And I talk to blocks of text on the internet
>>
>>77413444
What he does in the privacy of his own home has no bearing on his social skills
>>
>>77413253
But they fight in the climax
Fuck the gargoyles
>>
>>77412942
No of those are really deformed.

They're transformed into another form of being and become handsome at the end, and Jack Skellington is Dead and is completely normal by the standards of Beauty in Halloween Town.
>>
>>77410809
>13
>fucking
>years ago

Goddamn
>>
>>77412790
TGMD is underrated as well as obscure though.
>>
>Black Cauldron
>Basil
>Oliver and Company

Man the 80's had some very obscure films for Disney.

>Rescuers Down Under is technically a Renaissance Title

Huh.
>>
File: 84734.jpg (152 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
84734.jpg
152 KB, 900x900
Le Hidden Gem Syndrome: When an overall well made but obviously flawed film is a critical and/or financial failure causing its devout fanbase to defensively inflate it's quality
>>
>>77415327
It's way better than the shitty original Rescuers, that's for sure.
>>
>>77415346
But Hunchback was neither a financial or critical failure. It performed similarly to other Disney released in its time (post-Lion King, pre-Atlantis), on the higher side any. And it won and was nominated more than any other of them except perhaps Pocahontas.
>>
>>77415259
shut the fuck up
>>
>>77411245
It was poorly advertised
The trailers made it seem like a lame buddy film and not a sci-fi adaptation of Treasure Island.
>>
>>77416201
It's named Treasure Planet.
>>
File: what am I looking at.jpg (171 KB, 808x480) Image search: [Google]
what am I looking at.jpg
171 KB, 808x480
>>77415384
This is probably the most wrong post I've ever seen in my life
>>
>>77416355
Be honest, did you go and see Treasure Planet expecting a near 1:1 adaptation of Treasure Island?
>>
>>77416596
If I went to a Disney movie expecting a faithful adaption of the source material, I'd be a fucking idiot.
>>
>>77416654
Ergo going to Treasure Planet expecting Treasure Island is foolish, but that is basically what we got much to our delight.
>>
>>77416704
I never implied otherwise.
>>
>>77410418
We don't TALK about the sequel.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.