[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/co/, how did Marvel get so much right back in it's (70's-80's)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: blackpanther1977series1.jpg (62 KB, 400x611) Image search: [Google]
blackpanther1977series1.jpg
62 KB, 400x611
/co/, how did Marvel get so much right back in it's (70's-80's) heyday as opposed to now? Because it seems like practically every title released during that era was fucking stellar
>>
>Frank Miller's Daredevil
>Roger Stern's Spider-Man
>Bill Mantlo's Hulk
>Mark Gruenwald's Captain America
>Walt Simonson's Thor
>David Michelinie's Iron Man
>Doug Moench's Moon Knight

holy shit you're right
>>
File: Black Goliath 04 cover.jpg (166 KB, 900x1387) Image search: [Google]
Black Goliath 04 cover.jpg
166 KB, 900x1387
>>77401441
>>77402075

There were also flops and misfires that were quickly forgotten.
>>
>>77402075
I've literally never see someone call a Bronze Age Iron Man book good, let alone be mentioned among all those other great titles
>>
Why does /co/ suck Jim Shooter dick so much when he killed this?
>>
>>77403453

They know McDuffie liked him, and they've read Shooter's blog, the latter of which is biased and selectively omits his editorial failures and shortcomings.
>>
>>77403133

Wait is this a Kirby series I haven't read?
>>
>>77402075

Not forgetting

>Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck, Man-Thing and Defenders
>Steve Englehart's Dr. Strange
>Doug Moench's Master of Kung-Fu and Werewolf by Night
>Don McGregor's Black Panther
>Jim Starlin's Warlock
>Roger Stern's Dr. Strange and Avengers
>Alan Moore's Captain Britain
>Most of the first half of Chris Claremont's X-Men phase before it got stale during the end of the 80's
>>
>>77403807

Nope, he just did the one-off cover.

The series was a big editorial mess, it got hung up on so many things it never told a coherent story.

I'm not shocked it got cancelled after six issues.
>>
File: arrows.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
arrows.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
>>77403365
The Micheline/Layton runs in the 80s gave us Demon in a Bottle (the alcoholism arc), Doomquest (where he time travels with Dr. Doom to Camelot), and Armor Wars. It was nothing really GOAT to me, but it was great superhero comics.

>>77403819
>>77402075
All great, plus
>Englehart Captain America and Avengers
>Kirby Cap and Eternals
>Claremont New Mutants (especially with Sienkiewicz and McLeod)
>Starlin Captain Marvel
>>
Two-in-One is probably my favorite thing from that era
>>
The Bronze Age was where guys who grew up with 50's sci-fi, Simon & Kirby and early Marvel became writers at Marvel, and as fans are wont to do they tried to take the stories from their youth to the next level.

Subsequent eras went too far in that dark and serious direction in my opinion.

>>77403365
Nah Bronze Age Iron Man is severely underrated. We got O'Neil building stuff that would become definitive to the character's future and Starlin's entire career basically spun out of his Iron Man shit.
>>
>>77402075
>Doug Moench's Moon Knight
>Implying Sienkiewicz wasn't what made that run memorable

>>77403453
Was Shooter the guy who nearly got raped in a YMCA shower, then wrote it into a Hulk story?
>>
It was when the writers didn't grow up as comic fanboys if I had to guess, i mean even as recent as the British Invasion guys vs Bendis and Johns

ironically shooter's the exception
>>
>>77405281
>It was when the writers didn't grow up as comic fanboys if I had to guess
roy thomas exists
the fact that he was born destroys the credibility of your guess
>>
>>77405214
Having read Moench's Moon Knight sans-Sienkiewicz I'd still rather read Moench's Moon Knight over most every other writer that came after.
>>
>>77405281
You don't know shit about comics history, Roy Thomas, Mark Gruenwald, Roger Stern, John Byrne, and others were definitely comics fans and worked on fanzines long before getting into the industry.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.