[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
They Can't Keep Getting Away With It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Secret-Wars-for-countdown-21.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1521) Image search: [Google]
Secret-Wars-for-countdown-21.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1521
Both DC and Marvel are publishing 3 events a year. And I'm not talking about semi-self-contained stuff like Zero Year, Lights Out, Spider-Verse, etc, but the big ones. Plus the constant renumberings, gender-swapping, race-washing shit.

Is the industry in dire straits (and I'm talking about the big two)? Aren't they self-sustainable? Their sale numbers are always on top and are backed up by Disney and Time Warner, so what gives?
>>
>>77393173
What gives is that 3 events a year, constant renumbering, and gender/race swapping shit (and variants, don't forget the variants) are why their sales numbers are always on top. The Big 2 have always sold off of gimmicks.

Image on the other hand has to sell based on quality of the comics. And Walking Dead.
>>
If it bothers you then don't read it.

Refocus your time, energy and money on other comics instead, preferably creator-owned comics.

If enough people follow your example-- if the profitability of the current Marvel/DC business model goes down, and if the profitability of the business models for indie comics go up-- then Marvel and DC will stop what they're doing and try something more "sustainable" instead.
>>
More people listened to Hotline Bling the day it came out than have bought comics the entirety of this year, they need whatever money they can get.
>>
DC is actually not that well off. The entire industry is not in that good of a place, either. And most of your complaints are more relevant to Marvel. DC just cancels stuff, no relaunches, just straight up ending a book if it doesn't sell well. And has two big events per year, on average, so that's about it.

Marvel sells based on pandering, renumbering, big events, etc. I mean, Marvel still has great books out, but Marvel sold twice what DC did last month. Your complaints are basically what /co/ was asking about Marvel last week. I've never seen so many people being sympathetic with DC until that thread.

As for why? It sells. And just trying something new or making good books don't work. DC is proof of that. Controversy sells, which is why Marvel does it.
>>
>>77393173
The industry is in a weird place when I think about it. Comic book characters, concepts and storylines are at an all time high in popularity at the moment, but comic book sales themselves haven't really benefited from that explosion in popularity.
>>
>>77393173

DC doesn't really have 3 events each year. So far it's only been Convergence (filler) and the Robin War crossover. Forever evil was like 2 years ago.
>>
>>77393591
Darkseid War has tie-in one-shots out the ass if that counts.
>>
You pretty clearly don't fucking read comics, OP.

There is no race or gender swapping. Legacy characters have ALWAYS existed and if you seriously have a problem with a brand new character being black or a women, you're a /pol/-tier idiot.

Most events, outside of Convergence which was a special case and Secret Wars which is out of the ordinary, only have one single month of tie-ins, you absolutely don't need to read a single tie-in to understand the main events. The only ones you should get are the books you were already pulling.

Marvel has been going insane with the relaunches but Marvel have always cashed in on crazes and gimmicks so it's not a new thing.

tl;dr shut the fuck up you whining mongrel, buy books you like, don't buy books you don't like, look at shit outside of the Big Two and stop focusing all your attention and energy on hating things you don't like.
>>
>>77393608
>tie-in one shots out the ass
Six is out-the-ass now?
>>
>>77393610
>There is no race or gender swapping
Wally West.
>>
>>77393610
>Most events, outside of Convergence which was a special case and Secret Wars which is out of the ordinary, only have one single month of tie-ins,
This is blatantly false, especially on Marvel's side. Convergence was one of the shorter events if anything.
>>
>>77393610
While you're mostly right, New 52 Wally West is the very definition of a race swap.
>>
>>77393173
>so what gives?

You are delusional. You base your opinion on ignorance and then got confused when meeting a fact here, a bit of truth there.
>>
>>77393173
But Zero Year was self contained, the main story is 12 issues, but the tie-ins are 100% unneccesary
>>77393216
Most of this is just Marvel, the biggest gimmicl DC has been pushing lately are their year-long weekly series, like Batman: Eternal and Future's End, which I think is a fantastic idea
>>
>>77393649
>>77393690
I did forget Wally but I'm still in denial that that even happened.

>>77393688
I think you misunderstood me. Basically as long as DC has had events they've only had four weeks of tie-ins, the actual main book of the event goes on for awhile but the monthlies go back to their regular stories.

It's true that the non-ongoing tie-ins go as long as the main event too, but most of those are runny shit anyway.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.