[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Golden Age: 1938-1956 >Silver Age: 1956-1973 >Bronze
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Showcase_4.jpg (68 KB, 400x587) Image search: [Google]
Showcase_4.jpg
68 KB, 400x587
>Golden Age: 1938-1956
>Silver Age: 1956-1973
>Bronze Age: 1973-1985
>Modern Age?

Is the time period between 1985 and now really considered all one "era" of comics? I feel like the attitudes towards comics have changed significantly in that time frame, with the two big examples being the 2edgy 90s and the impact of the rise of Superhero movies.
>>
>>77369998
Silver Age ends in 1970 though
>>
>>77370023
Most people I know mark the beginning of the Bronze Age with The Night Gwen Stacy Died, which came out in 73
>>
could probably say theres a hollywood age starting with xmen
>>
Vat? The Golden Age did not extend past the 40s and the Silver Age ends in about 1970 or so.
>>
>>77369998
1985-2000 would be dark age (with reconstruction aftermath)
2001 to now I have no idea what it would be called. Widescreen Age?
>>
>>77369998
I think 1985 to about 2004 should be an Age in itself. Starting with all those top tier 80s comics, then splash in sales sink in quality, then a few years of top tier early 00s comics.

Disassembled/Identity Crisis as the start of the modern age
>>
It's weird how there isn't a term when the 90s are super distinct and even the post-52 atmosphere is quite different. But this stuff is more for collectors, right?
>>
>>77370038
>Most people I know mark the beginning of the Bronze Age with The Night Gwen Stacy Died,

And they don't know shit. Ghost Rider's not a Silver Age character.
>>
There just aren't terms for the past few decades with the consensus of recognition behind them that "Gold," "Silver" and "Bronze" enjoy
>>
1987 - 20??
The dark age.
>>
I'm of the opinion that the Golden Age ended in '49, when the majority of superhero comics were cancelled until the Silver Age.
>>
>>77370184
I think there was some argument over whether or not the 1950's stuff would be considered "Atomic Age" but it's just too brief a time to get any age.

Besides, including the non-superhero stuff as Golden Age still works because arguably comics did take a step forward before SOTI held them back.
>>
>>77370060
Event Age
>>
>>77370060
the Prog Age
>>
The Dark Age started in 85 and ended in the late 90s.

The "Modern" Age started sometime between JLA #1 (maybe Kingdom Come) and Ultimate Spider-man #1

The current age started after Hawkeye #1 and before DCYou
>>
>>77370060
The Reboot Age
>>
>>77370184
By 1949, the tone and style of comic books was definitely changing and starting to look like the Silver Age. The target audience began shifting to kids rather than 15-30 year olds as could be seen in the kinds of advertisements they ran.
>>
File: scrooge.jpg (14 KB, 250x330) Image search: [Google]
scrooge.jpg
14 KB, 250x330
1985-2001 is the foil age.
2001-now is the celluloid age.

All right-thinking adults can agree.
>>
File: tumblr_nxjvo6u7j21t98fjvo1_1280.jpg (407 KB, 1280x434) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxjvo6u7j21t98fjvo1_1280.jpg
407 KB, 1280x434
I like Jim Zub's take.
>>
Here are the splits that I use whenever I argue about the Golden/Silver/Bronze Ages.

This one is DC-centric:
>The Golden Age (New Fun Comics #1 - Showcase #4)
>The Silver Age (Showcase #4 - Green Lantern #76)
>The Bronze Age (Green Lantern #76 - Saga of the Swamp Thing #20)
>The Dark Age (Saga of the Swamp Thing #20 - Kingdom Come #1)
>The Modern Age (Kingdom Come #1 - Today)

And here's Marvel:
>The Golden Age (Marvel Comics #1 - Fantastic Four #1)
>The Silver Age (Fantastic Four #1 - The Amazing Spider-Man #121)
>The Bronze Age (The Amazing Spider-Man #121 - [circa 1980s?])
>The Dark Age ([1980s?] - [1990s?])
>The Modern Age ([1990s?] - Today)

Obviously, the Marvel chart isn't finished yet.
It should also be noted that we are on the cusp of a new Age for DC, and possibly for Marvel.
>>
>>77370060
Dark Age lasts until Kingdom Come, Waid Flash, and Big 7 JLA, so more like 85-95.
>>
>>77370060
>2001 to now I have no idea what it would be called. Widescreen Age?
Normie Age
>>
>>77372593
>>The Silver Age (Fantastic Four #1 - The Amazing Spider-Man #121)

I still don't think even Marvel's Silver Age ends with ASM #121. It makes no sense. People consider monster superheroes (not like Ben Grimm, where he's more superhero based than horror based, but as in Morbius, Ghost Rider, Man-Thing) as a Bronze Age thing, all of whom predated Death of Gwen.
>>
>>77370060
Digital Age.
>>
As OP.

Modern/Dark Age 1985 - 2015. Longer than the other ages. The big 80s writers like Moore & Miller were still huge. The bigger contemporary writers like Morrison, Ellis, Waid, Millar, Brubaker, Bendis, etc were still hugely influenced by the mid/late 80s writers and reacting for or against their work.

Digital Age 2015 - Digital distribution has come of age to the point it starts to upend traditional comics demographics. See the success of books like Ms Marvel, Gotham Academy, etc and their resulting impact on eventually the entire lines from the big two being retooled. The writers of these aren't reacting to late 80s/early 90s stories as much.
>>
>>77372892

The Modern/Dark Age could possibly be split into the Dark Age from 1985 until Morrison's JLA. Then the Widescreen Age from Moz's JLA until 2015.
>>
You need to understand that the ages don't start and end on specific dates. That's like saying "The digital age of society began the day the iPhone was announced!". The world doesn't work like that.

Golden Age covers the rise of superheroes to roughly the end of WWII. The Atomic Age then begins, characterized by the death of most superhero comics, replaced by horror, romance and crime. Seduction of the Innocent then kills most of those alternative genres and superheroes rise back up, becoming the Silver Age. As hardcore fans grow up with this stuff and bring more fan-oriented writing to the stories, there's a transition to the Bronze Age with stuff like the early drug abuse specials, sword and sorcery genre, and or course eventually The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

This kind of segued into stuff like Swamp Thing and eventually Vertigo, Watchmen, Ronin, and TDKR which launched the Dark Age.

>>77370074
The problem is that everything up to the "Modern Age" has been clearly defined for a long time and the collector community isn't as centralized as it used to be. But I consider the Dark Age to extend into the mid-90's. Then there's an era that covers roughly the Death of Superman up to Avengers: Disassembled, where we got stuff like the Image boom, Wildstorm, Bendis Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man, which changed the way comics were written. Circa Disassembled and Identity Crisis is where comics became extremely event/heroes-fighting-heroes/edgy drama focused which is what they were still like until starting in 2010-2011 many comics started to transition towards where we are now, with less focus on fan appeal and a broader range of styles.

I'd call these the Copper Age and the Iron Age, with the recent era still undefined, but there are many different names for them like Image Age, Pouch Age, Asshole Age, etc.

It's important to keep in mind that these ages are more like a gradient, with elements from the previous one remaining in the next one for a long time.
>>
>>77369998
The very late 80's and the entirety of the 90's were truly a Dark Age for comics. But I don't feel that it started as early as '85.
>>
>>77372593
>Marvel
>The Dark Age (Web of Spider-Man #31)
Here's a suggestion for ya.
>>
>>77376178
Some of the best comics came out the late 80s.
>>
>>77376358
What happened in Web of Spider-Man #31, exactly?
>>
>>77376632
Kraven's Last Hunt. Shit got grimdark and nofun all of a sudden.
>>
>>77377870
Might work, then. It helps that it was released in 1985.
Were Spider-books and other Marvel books also sent into a grimdark tone as well afterwards?
>>
1985 to 2002 = age of shit. isnt the printing quality and art shitty during this time?
2002- present = silver screen age, with the release of the first spiderman film.
>>
>>77377959
I can only really speak about the Spider-Man books without making assumptions, but yeah. The dark tone stuck around.

>It helps that it was released in 1985.
You sure? I thought it was '87.
>>
>>77379317
A Google search I did says 1985.
But even 1987 would work. I feel like the Bronze Age is split in two parts: The traditional Bronze Age that everybody refers to, when comics began to drift away from the Comics Code and began to incorporate more realistic and socially-conscious issues, and the Dark Age, when comics took realism to an extreme and made comics about nothing but angst and issues and being grimdark.

There are probably better names that could be used. Maybe Polished Bronze and Tarnished Bronze.
>>
>>77369998
>Golden Age: 1938-1956
>Silver Age: 1956-1973
>Bronze Age: 1973-1985

These are all wrong though.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.