[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you're not going to use animation for what it was made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: Eyeballs.png (308 KB, 624x340) Image search: [Google]
Eyeballs.png
308 KB, 624x340
If you're not going to use animation for what it was made for then you might as well do it in live action.

Why can't we have fun in cartoons anymore.
>>
>he doesn't like slice of life
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>77367430
I love The Simpsons, the opening picture even shows eyeballs popping out just like in a real cartoon, but Avatar fucked things up.
>>
>>77367458
>Avatar ruined fun in cartoons
I can't
You also have a very narrow view of animation if you think it all has to be exaggerated physical gags
>>
>>77368265
No I don't have a very narrow view of animation, just take a look at this chart, it has action shows in it.

I know the list looks sloppy but the guy who made it is not good at photoshop is the thing.
>>
>>77368334
>>Pretty Cure
>>First Two Series only

Wow what a fucking loaded bullshit statement. Especially when Heartcatch was the Precure show with the most artistic merit.
>>
>>77368403
This is what the masses want however in terms of Precure.
>>
/co/ is the illustrated radio board who praise Bojack to the heavens for the depiction of depression despite having the fluidity of a constipated elephant's first bowel movement after 20 years of holding it in
>>
>>77367412
Meanwhile, superhero comics are being translated into live action TV series for some reason, instead of taking advantage of what cartoon animation has to offer.
>>
>>77368454
>>What the masses want
>>Essential Japanese Animation Chart that lists Shin Chan, a show that idiots like Anime News Network (a site that appeals to the masses) call a waste of animation because it doesn't look like Ghost in the Shell

So this is a troll chart?
>>
This is why King of the Hill sucked.
>>
>>77368454
The second series has poorer animation, and is more remembered for the movie then anything.
>>
>>77368517
Shin Chan is huge in Japan and no this is not a troll chart.
>>
>>77368542
I was in the thread where that was made, only ONE person told him "the original two series only" and he wouldn't change it despite everyone saying that was dumb.

Even Go Princess has better animation then the second series of Precure
>>
>>77368542
It might as well be.

Kirby isn't essential Japanese animation. BTAS isn't consistent enough. Pokemons direction in the first season wasn't even that good, but then the same goes for a few of the American shows that are on here. The Mighty Orbots should really just be for the opening. And again, Heartcatch not being on there is a major oversight.
>>
>>77368541
The chart was referring to Futari wa Pretty Cure & Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart, not Futari wa Pretty Cure Splash Star.
>>
>>77368690
So was I.
>>
>>77368334
what does having a list of anime have to do with
>Why can't we have fun in cartoons anymore.
>>
You mean as a side show attraction?
>>
>>77368334
It's really questionable to call something Japanese animation when it was directed and storyboarded in the west and shipped off to a Japanese studio for labor. Otherwise nearly everything else would be Korean animation.
>>
>>77368591
Splash Star is not on that list.

Also the masses prefer Nagisa & Honoka over Haruka, Minami, Kirara & Towa abny day of the week.
>>77368687
Kirby is essential, TMS' & Spectrum's work on Batman is excellent and Pokemon started the monster catching boom the same was that Dragon Ball started the Shonen boom.

Orbots deserves to be on there.

The only bad looking Batman episodes came from whatever Chinese studio Sunrise was using on the show, Jade, Akom and Blue Pencil anyway as Batman looked much more consistent then the Spielberg shows from that time when each studio has different style on those shows.

It's just that TMS & Spectrum were just that good, Junio was also great too.
>>
>>77368334
>>Wakkos Wish only on there for a retake in the 2014 DVD

This list is kind of shit.
>>
File: Essential American AnimationWIP.jpg (1 MB, 2894x6125) Image search: [Google]
Essential American AnimationWIP.jpg
1 MB, 2894x6125
>>77368728
Tiny Toons & Animaniacs are on that list.

The US list is still being worked on lasted I checked.
>>
>>77368939
Nobody is talking about Splash Star. Would you mind getting that through you head?
>>
>>77368939
It doesn't matter what the masses what, we're talking about what's ESSENTIAL JAPANESE ANIMATION.

Saying this list is just for what the masses want is admitting it's some big sham and has nothing to do with artistic value.
>>
>>77368939
>Kirby is essential
Why

Please justify this. Do it without naming an animation company working on it and pretending that's a good enough reason.
>>
>>77368750
No, this.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z5zgx_tweety-bird-ep-03-a-gruesome-twosome_fun
>>77368752
Final drafts are done in Japan as very little is left from the US made boards & timing sheets at best.
>>77368951
No, it's for the movie, the 2014 DVD does have better animation much more closer to TMS' standers but was not completely retaked to to time issues as is the case with alot of Japanese studios now of days.
>>
>>77368987
Series 1 had 2 seasons (Futari wa & Max Heart), series 2 was Splash Star.

I have since seen the typo on the chart and fixed it.
>>77369006
Theres was a point when Precure was removed from the list, but it came back.
>>77369036
First anime to mix hand drawn and CG animation well (Futurama did it a few years before Kirby, but this was Japan's version to that) as well as have the game's staff in charge on the show, used a full scale orchestra as well as used GameCube hardware for it's CG animation.
>>
>>77370107
fair point
>>
File: then and now 2.jpg (232 KB, 850x2012) Image search: [Google]
then and now 2.jpg
232 KB, 850x2012
>>77370751
Thank you.

More of what I'm trying to say.
>>
Because spergs will call it "RANDUMB!" if any cartoon doesn't focus disproportionate amounts of its resources on DEEPEST LORE. Take one short story, run with it, and do a bunch of hilarious surreal shit on the way.
>>
>>77367412
>limiting your art because "might as well be live action"
People like you are the reason contemporary painting is mostly non-figurative.
>>
>>77373450
No, if anything we need to push cartooning to it's limits.
>>
>>77367412
You are the reason for why cartoons aren't respected on the West.
>>
>>77373329
Fun and world-building don't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive desu senpai.
>>
>>77367412
>>77373329
This is why I immediately took to Rick and Morty. It's full of bizzare shit that makes sense given the context, and the animators can go nuts, but there's also plenty of story for storyfags to get their teeth into. It might not be DEEPEST LORE, but it has a reasonable amount of continuity thus far.
>>
>>77376834
No, we need cartoonyness back in cartoons.
>>77376993
It is light years behind this.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2k3fke
>>
>>77367412

John K?
>>
>>77377599
Nope.
>>
File: patrickbuzz.jpg (54 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
patrickbuzz.jpg
54 KB, 1152x864
>>77376834
>>77377509
The issue isn't necessarily that one is better than the other, but rather that we're currently in a phase that seems to be the two styles colliding in some sort of clunky amalgamation.

Take modern Adventure Time, for example; and how we all pretty much hate it. We all liked the first seasons because of how cartoony and easily-enjoyable they were, but we started easing off when it was turning more and more into a relationship/slice-of-life/'philosophy' deal. You can compare western cartoons to anime, but anime accomplishes this better because it's already diverse enough to the point where it can just have a romance show, or a 'deep' show, or a crazy over the top comedy/action show. Mainstream western animation's problem here is that it hasn't branched out to the point where one show can achieve a purpose outside of "funny" or "cool."

/co/ seems to hate these kinds of shows, like SU and modern AT, because of how 'pretentious' they seem. They're only considered this way because their fanbases like to interpret them as having 'deep' or 'mature' themes, even though they are still western cartoons; primarily watched by children in grade-school. The medium hasn't caught up to the content, and animation in the public's eye hasn't reached the point to go much farther than these awkward mishmashes that are just beginning to be seen as intellectual.

Maybe that might be the best way to describe what /co/ considers 'tumblr'--an attempt at maturity forced through a childlike lens.
>>
>>77377509
>It is light years behind this

Both shows have their strengths and weaknesses. Tiny toons didn't have an episode like Meseeks and destroy and I doubt rick and morty will ever have regular musical numbers. And when I say regular I mean enough to fill a CD, not the two songs the show had.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.