[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Crisis trilogy crossover events worth reading/owning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
Are the Crisis trilogy crossover events worth reading/owning?
>>
No.
>>
I don't know
>>
>>77365444
>>77365464
>>77365478
>>77365483
I guess I will just buy the deluxe hardcover of crisis on infinite earths, then download the others
>>
Perhaps
>>
I've read the first two. They're both really, really good; that said, the former might seem somewhat dated and the second is very in medias res if you don't know the lead-up (though I read it with barely any foreknowledge and loved it anyway).
>>
>>77365515
Can you TL;DR the lead up or should I just read it all myself?
>>
>>77365545
TL;DR: Maxwell Lord, having taken control of Checkmate (a spy organization) and Brother Eye (an AI satellite created by Batman), kills Ted Kord, unleashes an army of robots called OMACs to eliminate the world's metahumans, and mind-controls Superman. Wonder Woman murders him, an act which is broadcasted on live television.

Meanwhile, an interplanetary war rages between the planets Rann and Thanagar, and the Spectre, lacking a human host, is manipulated by Eclipso (an evil demon) into attempting to destroy all magic in the world.

Also, I'd read CoIE first, since you appreciate the villains way more that way.
>>
Final is good. CoIE is decent. IC is shit.
>>
>>77365435
no.
coic is a bit dated, ic is meh, and morrison is shit.
>>
>>77365985

This.

If you want some a REAL Crisis story, buy Identity. It has rape.
>>
>FINAL CRISIS
9/10. Other than some pacing issues, it's perfect.

>INFINITE CRISIS
7/10
Has some great moments, but doesn't feel as big in scope as the other two crises(sp?)

>CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS
8/10
Fun as hell, but very dated.
Really feels like the end of existence.
>>
File: Identity_Crisis_HC_Variant.jpg (118 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Identity_Crisis_HC_Variant.jpg
118 KB, 400x600
You guys are skipping the REAL crisis event
>>
File: 1430972013418.jpg (152 KB, 594x720) Image search: [Google]
1430972013418.jpg
152 KB, 594x720
The only definite thing said so far is CoIE is dated.
Based on this thread, it seems each event is quite polarizing and ultimately comes down to personal taste. ie. None of them are X-Statix omnibus tier good, nor Unfunnies tier bad.
>>
>>77365435
read all of them, buy only 52
>>
>>77368707
Really it comes down to the authors. If you like Morrison's work, you'll like FC. If you like Johns' work you'll like IC. If you like Wolfman, you'll like CoIE. They're all very archetypical of the people who wrote them.
>>
I barely ever buy comics, but Absolute Final Crisis is one of my favorite things I've ever spent money on.
Crisis on Infinite Earths is fun as fuck too. Infinite Crisis is pretty good, but it happened right when I started reading comics so maybe I'm biased.

Zero hour is alright too, I'd put that in with the crisis cross overs
>>
They're fine. Just don't buy Identity Crisis.
>>
>>77365435
Yes to CIOC because Perez does some of his greatest artwork.

IC is bleh, it is very Johns book about the Trinity. Superman comes off looking great, Batman and wonder woman take endless shit. If you like Johns Silver age stuff laced with Bat and Wondy hate you'll like it.

Final Crisis, no. Terrible, awful. Nothing about FC is worth the cost of the paper it was printed on. Morrison runs around, having Batman shoot Darkseid, Superman save the day, again, while Wonder Woman is turned into a baboon fury.

The Crisis trilogy is an example of diminishing returns.
>>
>>77366869
Do NOT listen to this morrison faggot.

>>77366905
Really, this is the book responsible for everything after it. The IC, the post IC universe, countdown. FC and the blackest night are still picking up the pieces.
>>
Yes, but Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis have a lot of build up and follow up books that fill out the picture.
Read the Prelude to Infinite Crisis stories, then IC, and 52 afterwards.
Avoid the hell out of Countdown to Final Crisis and Death of the New Gods, read Seven Soldiers instead.
Then read Final Crisis and the tie in books, especially Superman Beyond 3D.
Rage of the Red Lanterns can be put aside unless you're reading John's Green Lantern, he just used every excuse for more pages he could find.
As for the Final Crisis follow ups, D.A.N.C.E was fantastic, Oracle's story was alright, and I can't say anything on the rest.
>>
>>77365435
Worth reading, absolutely. Especially CoIE. Owning, no, at least not all of them.
>>
I never read IC.

The only thing bad about COIE is that it is written very densely and some plots like the tuning fork shit were kind of unnecessary. I enjoy it a lot though.

FC I don't really like a lot besides Superman Beyond.
>>
>>77369897
IC is written as a sequel to COIE.
Alexander Luthor and Superboy Prime are the ones driving the plot.
>>
>>77369940
Yeah for whatever reason I just never bothered and then 52 filled in the important points anyway. I should probably get to it eventually just to actually experience it.
>>
File: 1357430135350.gif (499 KB, 220x283) Image search: [Google]
1357430135350.gif
499 KB, 220x283
>>77369873
>Worth reading, absolutely
>Owning, no
>>
>COIE
Pretty cool overall but all you really need to remember is Flash's death, Supergirl's death and the finale.

>IC
This is kinda what Secret Wars is right now: the core product is kind of forgettable but the tie-ins are pretty interesting

>Final Crisis
JUST FOOK ME SHITE UP LADDY
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (66 KB, 612x574) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
66 KB, 612x574
The cool thing about Infinite Crisis is that the initial buildup to it started right before Identity Crisis all the way through 52. There's a reading list online that has all the books needed but I can't post the link cause of le spam warning

I want to read the whole list just to see if the catharsis is worth it.
>>
>>77369940
SBP is always a reason to read something.
>>
Crisis on Infinite Earths is a ridiculously meaty read but was brought to you by the fellows who made the best Wonder Woman run, and reads very much like it too. Be careful of the tl:dr mentality.

Final Crisis is one of those thesis reads which demands you do enough background reading to begin to comprehend what in the fuck is going on. Just like finally solving Schrodinger's Equation for various boundary conditions, however, each additional bit more you understand gratifyingly sheds a little more light on Morrison's grand architecture that calls itself a plot. I just wish it was easier to read.

I haven't the pleasure of reading Infinite Crisis.

Read all these if you wanna cement your status amongst your friends as the DC fanboy and/or expert. Whatever your current level of understanding, you'll definitely come out of these as that guy.
>>
>>77370071
>Final Crisis is one of those thesis reads which demands you do enough background reading to begin to comprehend what in the fuck is going on. Just like finally solving Schrodinger's Equation for various boundary conditions
good example to sum up morrison fags.
>>
>>77370098
Yeah. Very begrudgingly I might have to identify myself as a Morrison fag. I really don't like the way Final Crisis was delivered to us. I like even less the fact that it took me a couple of years to figure out what it was about. But it's a really great plot once you start to understand it.

Look at me, I'm defending that asshole. Don't read Final Crisis or any of Morrison's Hypercrisis kids, you'll get sucked in and become like me.
>>
>>77370161
>it took me a couple of years to figure out what it was about. But it's a really great plot once you start to understand it.
dude
>>
>>77370188
Look, I did it casually okay? I'm not slow, it's not like I spent every moment of those years scrutinizing every little shit Morrison did; every few months /co/ does a Hypercrisis storytime. So I did what was reasonable, got piss drunk and read me a little Hypercrisis every few months or so.
>>
Crisis on Infinite Earths is dated but a fun read.

Infinite Crisis isn't fantastic, but has some great moments too, it's not the worst.

Final Crisis is divisive, understandably so, I like it, though it's definitely not for everyone. And even for a morrisonfag like myself, I still have trouble understanding it.
>>
File: image.jpg (658 KB, 1509x1689) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
658 KB, 1509x1689
>>77370248
>So I did what was reasonable, got piss drunk and read me a little Hypercrisis every few months or so.

You are my hero Anon, I do the same.
>>
>>77370161
>Don't read Final Crisis or any of Morrison's Hypercrisis kids, you'll get sucked in and become like me.

senpai you can break out of the oblivion machine, I believe in you
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.