[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Invincible Iron Man 1 - 279,514 >Invincible Iron Man 2 - 66,664
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3
File: bendisdance.gif (1 MB, 419x237) Image search: [Google]
bendisdance.gif
1 MB, 419x237
>Invincible Iron Man 1 - 279,514
>Invincible Iron Man 2 - 66,664
>>
Numbers dropping from the first issue literally always happen.
>>
Weren't orders for #2 placed before #1 even hit shelves?

Of course there was going to be a drastic drop between issues with the gorillion variant covers for #1.
>>
>>77363237
Yeah, #2 was out the same month as #1 so it was hard for retailers to judge interest. Probably have to wait till like the fourth or fifth issue to get a clearer view.
>>
>>77363207
#1 always sell more that's why Marvel is constantly relaunching, they know faggots fall for that.
>>
>>77363330

Isn't that shit the reason why they went bankrupt back in the 90's?
>>
>>77363207
Holy shit, is this for real? Marvel are in big trouble.
>>
>>77363371
No, not really.
>>
>>77363371
Nah they're fine. It's a natural drop.

60,000 sales is actually quite good. If the book keeps on selling consistently for that much, Marvel would be happy.
>>
>>77363212
>>77363237
Also, I assume IIM #1 had like, 200 variants, while IIM #2 only fifty or sixty.
>>
Why do people need to make up reasons to shit on Bendis when there are literally tons of valid reasons to as it is? Modern Bendis is garbage, but the hate bandwagon almost seems worse than he is.
>>
>>77363342
Not the guy you replied to, but yeah, pretty much. It's also rather bewildering to have issues coming out literally a week or two apart from one another
>>
My shop literally didn't get any #2 shipped. I think they are being reordered but #3 is there.
>>
>>77363406
Speaking of which, let's run a tally guys.
What's the last Bendis book you actually enjoyed?

For me it's Scarlet, and I'm still pissed he doesn't seem to want to continue it.
>>
>>77363342
There were a host of reasons why Marvel went bankrupt in the 90s. Relaunching series wasn't one of them, rather it was market saturation of new #1s from unproven titles.

>>77363418
Nothing inherently wrong with putting out a title twice a month. The real problem is cost to consumers which is already a problem with Marvel's prices.
>>
>>77363330
They sell more to retailers. Retailers will order more to get variants they can sell for a higher price. So tons of copies just wind up unsold.

That's the current comic book market. If people stopped buying variants, things would settle down, but there are enough buyers to sustain this model.
>>
>>77363452
Dark Avengers or Moon Knight
>>
>>77363452
I thought the deal was that Alex Maleev was too busy for Scarlet because he was doing DC stuff for a while and now he's got some other Marvel thing going on.
>>
>>77363452

Alias. And I'm sure now that I can't stand Bendis' writing style at all, I'd have issues with it. I can't stomach his DD at all anymore, and when I first read it I thought it was great.
>>
>>77363478
Scarlet was something they got paid for later on, instead of contract work like any Marvel/DC book. He probably wanted the steady paycheck.
>>
>>77363381
Ha, no.

>>77363392
How exactly is that a natural drop? second issue isn't even selling half the amount of #1. What's #3 gonna sell, 35k?
>>
>>77363487
#1 was never a true number based on what retailers could sell. #2 is more accurate, but will probably drift down a little more. I know Marvel pushed Invincible Iron Man as the "flagship" of the line but they're not kidding anyone.
>>
>>77363454
>Nothing inherently wrong with putting out a title twice a month
True, Valiant was doing it towards the end of it's original run back in the 90's. Though to be fair, it nearly bankrupted Acclaim with how much they were paying the high end talent to work on their books

>The real problem is cost to consumers which is already a problem with Marvel's prices
Again, true, but I think that this should be a clear enough sign that Marvel doesn't care about consumers and is just focused on making a quick buck as fast as they can. Yes, I am aware of the concept of economics and how companies need to make money in order to survive and grow, but when you fuck over the consumer, you're more than likely to jepordize your whole business. Marvel, like DC, is just very fortunate to have a multi-milliondollar benefactor like Disney invested in them
>>
>>77363342
They have Disney to support them and back them up so they won't go bankrupt anytime soon.

At worst Disney and Ian get fed up and fire people.
>>
>>77363487
>How exactly is that a natural drop?

Second issue standard drop is around 20%. With this it's hard to say yet what the curve's going to be, due to the insane amount of variants for the first issue that skews the entire speculation and analysis process. Sales generally settle down around fourth issue to a certain level, where only standard attrition happens, if it's stable. If the drops keep being like, 10-15%, the books in trouble. But I don't see it happening, especially with another Bendis Iron Man book on the horizon.
>>
>>77363207
>inb4 Marvel starts giving 50 variants to second issues as well
>>
File: 1447039882662.jpg (177 KB, 626x1250) Image search: [Google]
1447039882662.jpg
177 KB, 626x1250
>>77363371
>Marvel are in big trouble.
Haha no... Marvel has the top 10 sales of books in october, and 17 of the top 20 sales. If they're in trouble all other companies are bankrupt at this point. If anything they're selling TOO MUCH for what they're putting out.
>>
>>77363583
>Second issue standard drop is around 20%.
>In this case it was 300% but no worries lol
>>
>>77363207
>hey wait a second, this comic is about iron man!
>>
>>77363794
Darth Vader had a 325% drop, do you really think that's a comic that isn't doing well or signals Marvel's demise?
>>
>>77363794
If the number for issue two were in the 20k-30k range then this would be hilarious and blunder of the year territory, but in this case 66k is actually pretty good despite the book being shit.
>>
>>77363794

Iron Man #1 had ridiculous amount of variant covers that is why it sold nearly 300K, it's entirely inflated sales figures. That is why the second issue drop is so huge. Anybody who understands anything about sales charts knows this.

This same shit happened with Rocket Racoon #1 sold like, fuck I can't remember, 300K, because it was part of a loot crate that meant the sales were based largely by the demand of the loot crate, not the comic itself.
>>
One important thing to note is that Iron Man #1 and #2 were ordered for the first month without data to level orders, so retailers obviously had to go with what they already know with Iron Man sales for #2. I'm pretty sure that #3 will have a higher number than #2 for this. Unless the book really did sell like shit, in which case Bendis will focus completely on the book he has made succesful: Guardians of the Galaxy.
>>
>>77364332
He'll leave after is revealed that Tony is Jew.
>>
>people trying to pretend like this isn't a disappointment

It's not DCYou level failure, but the sales on the #2 are the defacto sales that would have been on the #1 without the variants. After the usual drops it will be a 30k seller at best. Literally no one gives a fuck about Iron Man even with Bendis and it's hilarious. They were hoping it would be a solid 50k book once everything settled in.
>>
>>77364363
So much for spiderman replacement.
>>
>>77363794
76% you fucking moron
>>
>>77364353
Half-jew at the very least.
>>
>>77364363
trying to predict it will be a massive failure is also stupid. It might not have the numbers Marvel wanted but it's ridiculous to think it will end as a 30k seller. It will remain at the usual Bendis numbers of 50k-45k.
>>
>>77364398
Other half is being Luke Cage's brother.
>>
>>77364279
I believe Marvel's own crate has an IIM variant in this month's box, so I would imagine that makes up a good chunk of these sales numbers as well.
>>
>>77364426
Would that count in retailer sales though? Loot Crate is different because it's literally a business that orders via Diamond but I don't think Marvel's own box program would.
>>
>>77363794
Anon, I have bad news: you don't know how to read.
>>
Floppies are such a cancer. I wonder how many copies of IM 1 are just taking up space on store racks and soon dollar bins right now?
>>
>>77364445
It counts. Comic sales are counted by what they sell to Diamond. It's up to Diamond to then sell them off to retailers or wherever they can get rid of stock.
>>
>>77364516
Doesn't matter since LCS probably marked up those variant prices to make up for that.
>>
>>77363452
The Tempus Annual issues
>>
>>77364708
Annual issues? People still read those?
>>
wait what happened to asshole superior Tony? I liked that guy
>>
I for one greatly enjoy the fact that more books are bi-weekly now.
>>
>>77364353
well he is already adopted...
>>
>>77363207
>Invincible Iron Man 3 outsold Amazing Spider-man 3 digitally
>>
>>77363487
These aren't sales numbers, they're pre-order numbers based off of what LCSes will THINK will sell. These orders need to be made 2-3 months before the comic's release. issues 1 and 2 were released the same month meaning the orders for issues 1 and 2 were placed at the same time months before either were released.

Likewise, the first issue's sales are artificially increased as a result of incentive variant covers.
>>
>>77363495
>#2 is more accurate
Issues 1 and 2 double-shipped, so while it's more accurate to what it'll probably end up actually selling, it was still almost entirely guess work on the part of the retailers.
>>
>>77363207
You realize that 66.6K is still a fucking ton of comics, right? Idiots just don't buy #2s in hopes of them being worth money one day.
>>
>>77364532
Yeah, but that anon's point is that the Marvel Crates aren't sold through Diamond, they're sold directly through marvel, unlike things like Loot Crate that are third par (presumably, I didn't even know Marvel had their own first-party loot crate style service) ties who are ordering through diamond.
>>
>>77365485
Yeah you don't really get a idea of stable numbers until issue 5-6

Even if IIM settles at like 40k that's still really high for an Iron Man book
>>
>>77363452
>What's the last Bendis book you actually enjoyed?
Invincible Iron Man 1-3
>>
>>77364777
Yes? Why wouldn't people read them? Annuals tend to be the only source of good one-shot stories these days. New Avengers Annual 1 was one of the best Strange stories in years.
>>
>>77365527
Yeah I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Marvel did run it through Diamond first to get that sales credit, but I also don't expect it. Seems like a hassle really.
>>
>>77363452
DD.
>>
>>77365122
There is no fucking way that Bendis doesn't make him Jewish. There's no other reason why he would make the adoption plotline the main plotline of International Iron Man if that weren't the case.
>>
>>77363452
>What's the last Bendis book you actually enjoyed?
Being really honest

Guardians of the Galaxy #1
>>
>>77365552
Anon, it was Bendispost.
>>
That always happens though. What's the big deal?
>>
File: Tony Stark23.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1968) Image search: [Google]
Tony Stark23.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1968
>>77363452
Peter's USM, but that is one of my all-time favorites.
>>
>>77363471

>Moon Knight

How?

Please tell me you read that without ever reading any other Moon Knight title. Bendis' Moon Knight shits all over the character and is nothing like he should be.
>>
I don't live in America so I have no idea how the comic market works normally (In my country we at best got the something like a Spider-Man anthology every couple of months or so). So do people actually just buy several copies of comics just so they can get variant covers? Why? Do they just like the art that much or do they think they'll be valuable collectibles down the line at some point?
>>
>>77365963
There are collectors who will pay inflated prices for rare variants. So for example a retailer buys 100 copys of a book to sell 30 or 40 at retail price dump the rest in the back issue bin at cost price and make a sweet extra profit on that one variant he can put on ebay for $100.
>>
>>77365520
>Top 10 comics in the 80s sold over 1 million each.
>5 cover variant X-Men 1 sold 8 million in the 90s.

to

>21 variant cover issue 1 sold 275k
>67k considered low high range of sales

How comics have fallen.
>>
>>77366306
>that one variant he can put on ebay for $100

And people actually buy that?
>>
>>77365520
Ehh yeah they do.. I know plenty of geeks who buy issues 1 and 2 of everything then drop at 3.
>>
>>77367529
Yes.
>>
>>77363207
King of comics.

Acting like those number #1 sales aren't enough to keep his book going even when it hits under 25k. Give it 6-12 issues, and I bet they go back to a new #1 issue just for easy money.
>>
>>77367741
His Iron Man has been pretty good so far. Besides, nobody expects 100k sales from a B-class character like Iron Man.
>>
>>77363487
It's not a natural drop at all.

Issue 1 pre orders are incredibly inflated due to 20+ variants and Marvel trying to push Iron Man as their face.
We won't know the anything close to the true numbers for a couple months with issues 5 and 6.
>>
>>77367529
Nigga you don't even know. Collectors will spend absolutely insane amounts of money on variants.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.