[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On Facebook, kids born in 98-99 claim they're a "le
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: 1447090283992.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1447090283992.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
On Facebook, kids born in 98-99 claim they're a "le 90s kid" because they saw reruns of 90s cartoons well into the 00s.

That makes me wonder: how common were reruns of 80s shows in the 90s? According to Wikipedia, those very cheesy game tie-in cartoons (Zelda, Captain N, Mario Bros.), for example, were rerun often from 1990-1996. Would you say those years were like a "late 80s aftershock"?
>>
>>77360590
Well, as someone who was a child in the 90s, I remember watching those 80s shows you mentioned, so they must have been rerun during that time.
>>
I never remember 80s reruns after about 92 or so.
>>
I was born in '89, and I grew up watching not those shows, but plenty of other 80's properties (Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, etc etc)

Not only do you have reruns to consider, but since these things were series' that had ended it was common to find VHS tapes of them at video stores, have those things passed down to you from siblings or relatives who were a bit older, etc
>>
Plenty of DIC, 80s Hanna Barbera and Disney Afternoon on the cable networks. And then there was video stores, which is how I watched G1 Transformers. The famous toy brand-based cartoons were the only ones I never saw get re-aired.
>>
>>77360590
Quite often if it was big stuff like Transformers, but I remember watching the Jetsons on television when I was younger.
>>
>>77360590

The 80s didn't really end until 1992.
>>
In South America the 80s show lasted well until 97-98 I think since I remember seeing He-Man and Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends in the late 90s.
>>
>>77360606
>>77360646
Americans or no? I know other countries tended to move slower with trends.
>>
>>77360753
It was a transitional period, but after Clinton was president, the social climate in America clearly changed out of that stuffy Reagan conservatism where Christfags had tons of political influence and soccer moms were obsessed with banning everything.
>>
'87 here, and I remember Zelda, Captain N, and Mario Bros. on TV in '92/'93 or so. Also had access as a kid to both G1 and G2 Transformers, original G.I. Joe and the early '90s one, and Pirates Of Dark Water. That's what I remember from back then that wasn't implicitly comic book TAS type stuff.

My cousin passed on some He-Man VHS tapes to me a bit after that, so I do remember some of that, as well.

Also, Thundercats and Silverhawks were aired on Toonami for a good while in the late '90s.
>>
Born in 90.

I watched the Super Mario Bros. cartoon a lot, but wasn't aware of the Zelda / Captain N counterparts until I started browsing the internet.

Watched a LOT of TMNT. This was more because my older brother was into it and had tons of VHS with recorded episodes.

I also watched a considerable amount of Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Talespin, and The Muppets Show (???).
>>
>>77360822
American for me. I mean if you were a kid and liked Transformers then the G1 show would have been all you had to go by until Beast Wars which didn't come out till like 1997

I'm not even sure when the next time an original GI Joe show came out, I'm only familiar with the one from the Hub that came out in like 2010
>>
Born in '87 here. I live in the U.S.

I saw reruns of '80s shows mixed in with '90s shows. I remember watching the G2 rerun of Transformers, episodes of original lion Voltron, TMNT, G.I. Joe, The Real Ghostbusters, Super Mario Bros. 3 & Super Mario World cartoon series, Muppet Babies, Care Bears, etc. That's what I can remember off the top of my head.
>>
>>77361074
I lived in New York, too. I'm pretty sure Voltron and G2 Transformers used to air on Kids WB (or the equivalent at the time if they didn't use that name), TMNT was on CBS' kid show block, and the Super Mario shows were on ABC, I think.
>>

CN showed a whole lot of old cartoons which are too numerous to mention. Plus our domestic TV stations aired lots of cartoons too. One interesting situation arose when the Serbs blew up the TV transmitters via MIG-21 and amped up their TV signals, flooding my cartoon time with Spiderman with cyrillic subtitles. This was circa 1993.
>>
Damn, you guys are lucky. Where I grew up, we had cartoons from the 70s airing in the 90s. And by cartoons, I mean anime.
>>
I remember Centurions and Muppet Babies, no He-Man.
>>
>>77360828
The 80s was just about gone by 92 and 100% totally gone by 93.
>>
>>77361145
>>77361074
When did they stop showing them?
>>
>>77361332
>>77361074
Shit! I forgot about Centurions, Voltron, and (though not mentioned yet) Robotech.

Those and X-O Squad were what got me into mecha-related stuff.
>>
>>77361399
Yes I did see Voltron reruns in the 90s, not Robotech though.
>>
Pound Puppies- saw that, I saw the Heathcliff cartoon. Of course the 80s H-B stuff like the Snorks because Cartoon Network used to rerun all that. Plastic Man - I've seen that one too.
>>
>>77361444
I've never seen Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, or the original horsey show though.
>>
>>77361392
Apparently the last time Transformers aired prior to 2010 on The Hub and currently the Discovery Family airings was in 95-97 on the SciFi channel, and prior to that from 93-95 on a different network
>>
>>77361510
Never saw the 80s Transformers cartoon, but I remember a huge ton of toy commercials in the 90s.
>>
I had a Popples plushie that my parents gave me when I was like 2, in fact it may still be around some place. Also my sister did have some Pound Puppies and horseshit toys.

Back then, we were innocent and thought a plastic pink horse was just a plastic pink horse.
>>
>>77361416
About '97 or '98. Very beginning of Toonami. The whole reason I started watching Toonami was because I remembered Voltron. Ronin Warriors became the icing on the cake when that started getting play on there.
>>
>>77361553
When I was a little kid I used to kiss my sisters toy horses on the asses, I was a perv even then.

Somehow it's all come full circle
>>
Apparently the Zelda animated series was on Nickelodeon Greece in the 90s. That's got to be one of the weirdest matches between show and television station ever.
>>
>>77361772
I remember watching "The Adventures of Tintin" in America on Nick.
>>
>>77362150
Paddington Bear, Rupert. Saw those on PBS.
>>
File: Late_Night_Black_&_White_Logo.png (558 KB, 1130x715) Image search: [Google]
Late_Night_Black_&_White_Logo.png
558 KB, 1130x715
80s cartoons weren't rerun all that often.
Before even the mid-90s, almost all 80s cartoons had run their lifespan on syndication.
Like other people have said, Toonami brought a couple of 80s cartoons back to the limelight, but only for a couple of months.

If you were a kid born in the late 80s, you probably had a really good understanding for almost every decade of cartoons from the early black and white cartoons up to... well, the 90s. Since most cable stations were still running as what they identified themselves as (Music Television still running music videos in the 90s1?!? SHOCK AND AWE) and didn't have much of a budget for their own original programming, that required them to fill dozens of hours of old crap. So cable stations like TCM/AMC ran various cartoon programming like Looney Toons and Popeye crap. The Sci Fi Channel ran a saturday morning cartoon block with Transformers and Star Wars cartoons, and the ever popular Anime Week. The USA Channel ran a ton of crap from the 80s, 60s, and 70s on the Cartoon Express. Nickelodean would run children's cartoons from Japan, Canadia, Chavland, and France. There was also the Disney Channel always showing their classics and they also had a syndicated program that showed classics movies and cartoons that broadcast stations wuold run.
Then there was Cartoon Network which ran almost nothing but cartoons and post factoids about old cartoons.

All these running of classic cartoons started disappearing when the cable stations had money to produce their own content and most all but disappeared by the early 00s. Only stations like CN and Disney would still run classics, but way more limited in scope than before.

In short, if you were born in the 80s or very early 90s, you probably grew up with a well rounded knowledge about all cartoons (if you had cable) from the 1920s through 2000s. Born in the late 90s and after? Spongeguy is the bestest.
>>
I remember watching count quackula, super mouse and even betty boop on TV (granted, even little kid me knew those where super old).
>>
>>77360590
Well im born in 94 in a rural area in a third world country. Cheap ass network channels are only willing to buy the license of lates 80's to 90's cartoons.
>>
>>77360590
I remember watching original 80's He Man when I was growing up in the mid 90s and transformers and i remember GI Joe was on sometimes also
>>
>>77361612
This is why Barneyfags need to all be executed.
>>
Cartoon Network aired tons of older stuff from 70's and 80's on the off hours when most kids were at school. I remembered whenever I was home sick from class they played weird stuff like Pebbles and Bam-Bam as teenagers and Voltron reruns. I think they played the Cathy movie once too. You know, Cathy? Fat chick from Newspaper comics who says "ACK!" a lot? Yeah, she had a movie, and I think I was probably the only one who watched it.
>>
>>77363816
What about mid 90s (94-96)
>>
>>77366083
American or no?
>>
>>77366942
Turner Broadcasting in general ran a lot of 60s-80s throughout the 90s on their channels, but Cartoon Network when it first started was mostly if not only vintage cartoons like the Hair Bear Bunch and Thundarr.
>>
Am I a 90s kid if I was born in 93?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.