[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Kingdom Come Superman's "Dark Knight Returns?"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1753721-kingdomcome2.jpg (228 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1753721-kingdomcome2.jpg
228 KB, 1280x960
Is Kingdom Come Superman's "Dark Knight Returns?"
>>
>>81621968

That or All-Star Superman.
>>
Alex Ross is a terrible cartoonist and shitty writer with a fetish for golden age trash.
>>
>>81622290
He does spectacle well, and he makes everyone look very heroic, and his art is kind of the entry-level "Whoa, great comic art!" for a lot of people. I know seeing Ross' art lent something a sense of credibility for me when I was younger.

But he really has no sense of motion or dynamism. The part that always sticks out for me is the "so that's what that feels like" panels from KC where Supes disappears on Batman. Three or four panels showing the motion of Superman disappearing in he blink of an eye, and Batman's reaction, yet they never seem to blend together or flow in any way.

Every panel looks like a masterpiece, but they look like seperate, disconnected, unrelated masterpieces.
>>
>>81621968
>Dark Knight Returns
All Star Superman is better than that
>>
>>81621968
If by that you just mean an exceptionally good story set in the character's twilight years then maybe. However it doesn't equal it in impact. TDKR changed Batman for decades, if not the entire comics industry. I don't think Superman has a story like that, he's had a more or less stable characterization over the years unlike Bruce. Yeah there was Death of Superman, but eventually he came back a couple years later and everything went back to normal.
>>
>>81622941
Maybe Man of Steel? But that's more just starting Superman from scratch rather than a self-contained story that bears considerable influence on its source character.
>>
>>81621968
>Is Kingdom Come Superman's "Dark Knight Returns?"
If by great story about a dark future version, then yes.
>>
>>81621968
It's a good story with a good Superman, but there is better.
>>
>>81621968
In the sense that it's about the fall and rise of the character who has become old and having to lead a new generation of vigilantes, and while not the only one it has become very popular and influential even mainstream-wise, then yes.
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 419x610) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 419x610
>>81622290
>this doesn't cater to my headcanons delete this!
>>
>>81622005
No period of retirement in ASS
>>
>>81622290
Since when he's writing a story?
>>
>>81621968
It seems to be the closest one he's got.
>>
>>81622941
>Exceptionally good

Ahahahaba
>>
File: 1450132900583.png (35 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1450132900583.png
35 KB, 800x600
>>81622941
>>
>>81622005
>That or All-Star Superman.
Psht thats stupid. I'm pretty sure all-star superman is supermans all star superman...not kingdom come.

get a load of this clown
>>
>>81621968
>Is Kingdom Come Superman's "Dark Knight Returns?"

No, it's just the Injustice of the 90s.

There was also one "Superman turns into an evil dictator" story in the 80s too, I think they were elseworlds annuals though.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.