[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>despite the hype and push Superman: Lois and Clark still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 6
>despite the hype and push Superman: Lois and Clark still debuted so low it's not even higher than the #42s of Action and Superman

Do you think this'll finally convince DC that no one who buys their comics actually wants old universe stuff back?
>>
>>77353117
I think they were convinced of that a while ago.
>>
>>77353256

But then why would they do Convergys and especially this book?
>>
Important to note that Titans Hunt was a failure too.

I loved the old universe but I'm mostly ok with the new one now that they're establishing connections and history again. It just sucked to lose all that.
>>
>only 2 IPs in this thread
>i.e. me and OP
Interesting.
>>
>>77353284
Convergence was necessary to fill up space while they were moving offices. Can't blame them for experimenting after it to see what might work

>>77353304
but you were the 4th IP with this post, and I posted >>77353288 as the third IP
>>
>>77353284
Convergence was filler while they moved. It was an event that fucked with continuity so that they didn't need to edit it as thoroughly as usual.

>>77353304
Wait but I'm neither.
>>
Superhero comics suck
>>
I think its a sign they fucked up.

Honestly, when I first heard we were getting a book called Lois & Clark about them being happily married and raising a child, I assumed it was a follow-up to the 90s TV show Lois & Clark, which ended on that exact status quo with a cliffhanger, and is pretty much the only live-action DC show other than Birds of Prey to not have a comic book continuation these days.

THEN they specified it was about the old, post-COIE, pre-Flashpoint Clark Kent and Lois Lane and I was all "Huh, neat!"

...then they went and set it in the Nu52niverse anyway, thereby completely fucking negating the appeal and the entire point of the book in the first place.

Like, nobody who says they wants "Prime Universe" Star Trek actually means they want old Bill Shatner making cameos in Star Trek The Third.
>>
>>77353339
>I assumed it was a follow-up to the 90s TV show Lois & Clark

It really should have been
>>
>>77353339

You forgot "and then they gave it to Jurgens"

The only time Jurgens has been able to write anything even HALF decent recently is when Giffen was carrying him
>>
>>77353339
this desu senpaitachi
>>
>>77353339
but it isn't just a cameo, it'll really be Bill Shatner as Captain Kirk.
>>
>>77353117
Yes.
However anyone who knows anything about capes wouldn't have bought it because
>Jurgens
>>
>>77353403
"Cameo" to me has become synonymous with "special guest appearance", even though when I think about it, I know they're technically different.
>>
>>77353339
I bought the book and enjoyed it, but I can't really fault people for being put off by it sounding like a sequel to a 90s TV show and being written by Jurgens. Hope it manages to scrape by in numbers or something.
>>
>>77353117
All it proves is that people only care about the "real" universe.
>>
>>77353463

I'll be honest it's not doing great. It launched at 35k.

That is a travesty for a Superman headlined book.
>>
>>77353485
But this takes place in the real universe
>>
DC inevitable fucked his universe up forever. People arent interested in adventures of the old Superman set in the new universe. There is no way DC is going to regain some of his place in the market unless they bring their universe back.
>>
>>77353506
Higher than SMWW though if you like shipwars, I guess (please don't let this turn into that kind of thread, both books are garbage for different reasons).
>>
>>77353403
So basically what we got with Nimoy in Into Darkness and 2009 Trek? None of the show fans were satisfied or even happy with that.
>>
>>77353506
Yeah, those are pretty launch numbers. Sales equivalent of starting with one foot in the grave. Worst case scenario they'll probably find SOMETHING to do with old Clark.
>>
>>77353516

No anon

BC's sales have been garbage compared to Marble's since the 60s

The fact that you think this is a new phenomenon tempts me to spew memes
>>
>>77353548
**pretty low
>>
>>77353548
It's a stealth mini that ends at the same time as Truth
Lois and Clark ends with OldClark dying and giving NewClark his costume
yfw this was all just a convoluted excuse to give Clark his trousers back
>>
>>77353548
It should be easy to write in a reason for them to get home, but I don't really trust DC to not make it clumsy as fuck after the last multiversal explanation they tried in Convergence.
>>
The Post-Crisis universe was the most popular version of the DC universe in the comic books, people loved those characters and lore. New 52 ruined pretty much everything people loved and pales in comparison. Contrarian /co/fags will insist that continuity doesnt matter but they don't know shit about superhero comics, they're just newfags who started to read comics from recommendation lists because they thought they were convulted and difficult to read. They don't understan the value of some of the most precious things superhero comics have: continuity and a sense of legacy. DC has lost that.
>>
>>77353574
But anon, then how will we get teamups where old Clark is big bro and new Clark is lil bro?
>>
>>77353117
Are you trolling? Since when are buying a by all accounts mediocre book from arguably the worst line DC has ever had and wanting the old universe to return mutually exclusive?
>>
>>77353574
I Really fucking hope that this is not true
>>
>>77353574
But Old Clark isn't even wearing that costume anymore.
>>
>>77353574
>>77353635
There will be a crossover arc starting with Action/Superman #50 and the second half of the Lois and Clark mini.
>>
>>77353549
Maybe by a little by the margin is pretty abysmal now. DC was doing pretty good in the late 80s and the 90s. Nowadays they dropped hard in comparison with Marvel.
>>
>>77353633
>The Post-Crisis universe was the most popular version of the DC universe

Naygur it wasn't even the most popular era

You want most popular, you want the Superboy book from the Silver Age, pre-Crisis

You want best quality, you want Elliot Maggin's Superman run

Post-Crisis a shit

Nu52 a shit

Only Silver Age is good
>>
>>77353651
>arguably the worst line DC has ever had
Are you talking about DCYOU or what ? i dont remember a new Superman line
>>
>>77353651
>the worst line DC has ever had
you have shit taste dude
>>
>>77353674
>DC was doing pretty good in the late 80s and the 90s

They literally almost self-destructed due to inept honchos what are you talking about
>>
All this means is that there about 30k worth of Superman fan zombies that will buy anything with his name on it.
>>
>>77353698
We already knew that though, see: the entire New Krypton era (wasn't awful, but it was clear who was buying the books)
>>
>>77353334
agreed
>>
>>77353633
>People loved those characters and lore
No, People loved their headcanons and what their considered convenient, why do you there was a lot of red hood fans
>>
>>77353391
Jurgens is the man you give IPs to when they're about to expire, not the guy you want on your flagship anything. Kudos to him for making a decent Fate comic, but the art carries it.
>>
>>77353697
No, they were doing great because I started reading back then and like it more
>>
>>77353722

I actually haven't read any Jurgensfate. Is it good? I used to really like him and I've been fucking dep by his output lately.
>>
>>77353716
Batfans aren't like the rest of comics fans, can't use them as an example
>>
>>77353744
i agree, they are a especial type of retard, but still, lest not forget the shit that happened to superboy and the titans as a whole or how WW was struggling to have a definitive run
>>
>>77353117
>despite the hype and push

kek, sure fooled me. DC hyping any of their titles is just a myth.
>>
>>77353743
It's a solid 6/10. The pacing isn't where it needs to be, it's not bombastic (this isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it's narratively sound and very readable.

It's the reset the character needed after getting turbofucked in Earth-2.
>>
>>77353679
i miss weird superman a lot
>>
>>77353743
It's really, really slow.

>>77353744
Don't think you're some sort of special fan better than Batman's mess, Anon, other characters get the same treatment.
>>
>>77353787
Yeah it wasn't on day time tv so I never heard of it
>>
>>77353787
I wouldn't have even known about the book if I hadn't seen it talked about here. Is this part of the DCYOU thing? Because they at least TALKED about those books.
>>
>>77353813
There's ignorance for sure you don't get the same phenomenon of headcanons and shit among non-Batfans
>>
>>77353826
DCYou is a marketing campaign. Every book is "part" of it. It's not a specific universe or anything.

But they announced this book, Telos, and Titans Hunt at SDCC, I think.
>>
>>77353811

If Weird Superman your thing then Superboy your jam. Maggin's more tumblrcore Feels Superman/Issues Superman.

Which no joke I love. He do what Morrison do decades later.
>>
>>77353826
Where did they talk about them?
>>
>>77353855
I guess I understood it as a line of books they were pushing rather than their entire roster.
>>
>>77353835
Oh god yes you do. They're just not as numerous because the fanbases themselves aren't so full of people.
>>
>>77353864
They had the articles in the back of floppies and I'd see the occasional interview about them on news sites
>>
>>77353857
Download link?
>>
>>77353905
They had ads for this there. I don't know why you didn't see them
>>
>>77353914

Nice try fed

Search Win O'Archive if you not a narc
>>
>>77353899
I really don't see it as the same. Yeah there's people who have things they want to happen or whatever but it's not like Batfans where maybe 90% of fan discussion and output is entirely made up and based on nothing. At worst you'll at least get opinions that stem from adaptions.
>>
>>77353938
Huh. No idea how I missed it then.
>>
File: 442947.png (69 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
442947.png
69 KB, 1600x1200
>>77353950
But a fed could do that too.
>>
>>77353679
Bronze age or bust nigga I'll fight you.
>>
My only friend who reads comics is a complete pleb and was telling me how cool the premise for this was. I couldn't believe I found a living person who actually thought this was a good idea.
>>
>>77353117
>no one who buys their comics actually wants old universe stuff back?
i used to buy the old universe.
the new universe made me stop buying, and generally stop paying attention to DC altogether. It's possible that most people who would have bought this are simply already out the door like me. That would actually mean that no one who is still buying wants the old universe, but possibly only because everyone who liked the old universe stopped buying.
>>
>>77354099
Do you read any comics?
>>
>>77353950
How do you do this with moe dead?
>>
>>77354099
I stopped for a while too then I felt like getting back into it and I don't mind things now. Though I'm still pretty upset by the destruction of the Flash family so I'm sort of oddly glad the book is shit now so I'm not missing out on anything anyway.
>>
>>77354161

MOE DEAD? shit
>>
>>77354099
Agreed, nothing short of us getting an ongoing of old cosmic dc will get me back.

Just give us another LEGION/REBELS where everyone from Omega Men to Ladu Styx and Sinestro can make apperances
>>
>>77354161
>>77354177
update 4chan x, we have a new one but it doesn't have all the old archives yet
>>
>>77354179
They're trying to do that now, but it's happening in Telos for some reason and it wasn't clear that it was even supposed to be a cosmic DC book until maybe the third solicit. Such a fucking mess.
>>
>>77354212
And that started with a #1 at cancellation numbers so that is beyond fucked
>>
>>77354212
Shit, I didn't even know Telos was in space.
>>
My bad, it was actually the #2 solicit that made it clear

>A secret history of Convergence is revealed when Brainiac offers Telos a terrible choice: Save his people or save his planet. And now, years later, is Brainiac the only ally in Telos’s search to find his lost family? Or could he put his faith in K’Rot, Stealth, and Captain Comet instead?

>K’Rot, Stealth, and Captain Comet

Still, why fucking Telos? Doomed from the start really.
>>
>>77353743
>>77353722
Haaaaa, you confused Dan Jurgens for Paul Levitz. Understandable, they are both dreadfully average.
>>
>>77354292
>Haaaaa

I will never not associate the long haaaaa with Oglaf
>>
>>77353117
Everyone knew this would be shit, and no one cared, why did people expect this to sell?
>>
I have an idea for the New 52 Superboy Prime, make it so Clark and Lois from Pre-nu52 continuity begin to die due to not being in their native universe for too long (just like in Infinite Crisis) but their son isn't affected due to having been born in a planet that was a mishmash of different universes. We have an arc about him trying to save his mother and father by begging for help from the new 52 heroes. They try and try with all sorts of methods but they fail and Clark and Lois die.

In a fit of rage their son tries to use a time machine to prevent the new 52 from ever happening but the heroes try to stop him since it's too dangerous and inadvertently cause the child to be stranded in the timestream. He eventually comes back older and calling himself the real superman and wants to restore his mother and father's continuity in hopes of bringing them back.
>>
>>77353117
I still feel like an actual Wally West book would sell so long as you put The Flash name on it somewhere.
>>
>>77354353
>tfw no pre-Flashpoint Wally, Vibe and Gypsy multiverse hopping book

Just title it Brave and the Bold and it would do alright
>>
>>77353987
Because DC doesn't know how to market like Marvel.
>>
>>77354379
Imagine Wally meeting New 52 Barry while knowing Barry is the one who erased his wife from existence in a failed attempt to save his mom.
>>
>>77354422
Technically the old universe was intact before that hooded chick interfered.

I'd love Wally's kids to meet his new 52 self though
>>
>>77354494
Nah, Old unverse was Flashpoint universe, Barry was trying to fix it by stopping himself and fixing it back to normal but Pandora interrupted.

Still, Wally doesn't know that. All he would know as a time traveler is that Barry time traveled and this is the result: his wife is dead because Barry tried to save his mom, failed, and when he "fixed" the universe he made it so that Wally was a kid again and the old stuff never existed.

The only reason Wally and his kids alive are because Telos plucked them out before their universe was destroyed, which included Linda.
>>
>>77354494
Still his fault. He's the one who fucked it up in the first place and when he "fixed" it he fixed it such that Wally, his wife, and his kids either did not exist or, in Wally's case, is now a 12 year old black kid.
>>
>>77354288
now im tempted to read Telos just because K'Rot from Threshold was a fun version of Captain Carrot
>>
>>77354379
That sounds like it'd tank immediately.
>>
>>77354873
Is there any DC book that wouldn't at this point? I kind of doubt even that second Harley book will do well
>>
File: BM_TMNT_Cv1[1].jpg_1442251573.jpg (522 KB, 793x1200) Image search: [Google]
BM_TMNT_Cv1[1].jpg_1442251573.jpg
522 KB, 793x1200
>haven't kept up with any DC books in a while
>decide to look up the books for december
>this is a thing
Im still laughing
>>
File: better than expected.jpg (2 MB, 2062x3132) Image search: [Google]
better than expected.jpg
2 MB, 2062x3132
>>77355049
Hey man, don't knock it. Green Lantern/Star Trek was great fun.
>>
>>77355221
With any luck we end up with a Godzilla/Constantine crossover
>>
No it just means that not a single person actually wants to read a book written by Dan Jurgens. He probably has some blackmail on DiDio though so he'll be on at least 4 books a year.
>>
I think the book is rad. Art and writing are [cheeky nandos hand-sign].
>>
>>77355049
DC/IDW crossovers have been pretty good though
>>
>>77353633

shut up nerd
>>
>>77355221
>red shirt and a blue lantern
I have never seen a character with a bigger death wish.
>>
>>77353288
I'm still mad Wally won't be on Titans Hunt
And i think both books started pretty meh to be honest, Superman had that darkseid moment where i was "HOLY SHIT" and then.... meh
While Titans Hunt was all kind of meh
>>
>>77353117
You know what would have helped? DC actually promoting this book. A single page ad and one interview on CBR isn't enough.

The comic shop I work at tried ordering an ad sheet for the series. You know, the posters you'll see in front windows or on the walls? They didn't have any available. This goes for Titans Hunt as well. Our customers didn't even know about this title.
>>
It was almost sold out at my store when I bought it.

I liked it.
>>
>>77353339
having the real superman always there watching ovfer the new one is hype as shit senpai
>>
>>77353339
>Honestly, when I first heard we were getting a book called Lois & Clark about them being happily married and raising a child, I assumed it was a follow-up to the 90s TV show Lois & Clark

Why the fuck would you think that? They had images and told you what it was about the moment it was announced.
>>
>>77353679
I started really enjoying Post-Crisis around 2006-2009 when they were going full Silver Age crazy, especially the way Johns did with Superman.
>>
>>77355049
Should have been Daredevil but Marvel is too full of themselves to do a crossover.
>>
>>77353117
>despite the hype and push

What hype and push? That one ad? DC has been pushing American Alien
>>
>>77359758

Yeah I actually quite liked the first issue. The idea of an even more powerful and experienced Superman stopping threats before they arise is appealing to me.

So did he stop Henshaw becoming Cyborg Superman or what?
>>
>>77353463
>>77353548

You guys don't think they will kill off New52 Superman and replace him with Pre-Flashpoint do you? It might dig them out of the secret identity hole they found themselves in
>>
>A bunch of minis aren't selling well

And Water is wet
>>
>>77355221
>Uhura automatically is a Star Sapphire
>make the Ruskie a blue lantern
>Sulu in a blue shirt (or some unknown other Asian crewman) inexplicably an Indigo despite being neither a psychopath in need of reform nor a model of compassion
>>
>>77363026

that's bones in the blue shirt. he's the ship's doctor. Ironically not that compassionate
>>
>>77362813
The secret identity out is that no one will care after Wrath gets taken care of. Her influence is making them overreact.
>>
File: jla-transformers-jimenez2.jpg (170 KB, 1024x732) Image search: [Google]
jla-transformers-jimenez2.jpg
170 KB, 1024x732
>>77355049
>>77355221
I'm still pissed they cancelled the Transformer one, i just wanted green lantern Optimus
>>
>>77353117

nice try desu senpai
>>
>>77364794
>We will never get a Blue Lantern Rodimus
Why even live.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.