[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there a lack of any DC comics toys being sold in stores?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: file.jpg (149 KB, 650x350) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
149 KB, 650x350
Why is there a lack of any DC comics toys being sold in stores?

I've also noticed that there are a bunch of Marvel games being made, like f2p RPGs and iOS shit and stuff, while DC only has the Arkham games.

I'm pretty sure kids can't recognize any of the Justice League anymore besides Batman and MAYBE Superman. Is DC trying to kill itself?
>>
>>77345055

I see a bunch of Superman and Batman toys being sold at my local supermarket.

DC has DCUO, Lego, Injustice and the Arkham games, which sell very nicely.

Maybe it's just you who is being delusional, OP.
>>
>>77345412
Injustice was one game years ago.

Superman toys have not existed since the movies, and they and the GL toys were famous for shelfwarming so hard they made DCs franchises completely unattractive to retailers

The only Batman toyline is a line of 5pa Batman figures that sells directly to outlet retailers like Dollar Stores.

DC is fucking dead.
>>
>>77345055
It's because DC has no idea how to market anything that's not Batman, or Superman, while Marvel on the other hand floods the market with everything they can. I was at Safeway the other day and saw in the toy section a Scarlet Spider, Agent Venom and Superior Spidey toys all on display, along with a few threaded Hot Wheels cars, Ant Man had a taco van.
>>
File: DC-Total-Heroes-Spotted.jpg (273 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
DC-Total-Heroes-Spotted.jpg
273 KB, 1024x577
>>77345556
>Superman toys have not existed since the movies
Pretty sure these are still in stores.
>>
>>77345776
I've never seen those and I check toy aisles at every store I'm in.
>>
>>77345874

>at every store I'm in.

Then it's just you who is delusional. There's plenty of DC toys at every supermarket I've been in, and they sell very well.
>>
>>77345776

They even have a dollar store line of Justice League figures, which comprises

3 Batman figures
1 Superman Figure
1 Green Lantern Figure
1 Joker Figure
>>
>>77345556

>Injustice was one game years ago.

It was the most successful fightning game just two years ago. And it still sells copies to this day.
>>
>>77345776
This line was cancelled because lol Mattel
>>
>>77345055
There's dozens of DC toys in tons of stores. Marvel just markets the shit out of everything to a ridiculous degree compared to DC. Also, most of DC's toys consist mostly of Batman and Superman stuff.
>>
>just got back from TRU
>DC section
>a couple pegs of Gotham and 60's Batman collector's figures
>Harley Quinn vinyl piggybanks
>a Zod figure from Man of Steel still hanging around
>Marvel AISLE
>Marvel Legends, Avengers figures, 5PA Iron Man figures, Hulk Hands

Fucking depressing
>>
What? Go into a Walmart or Target dude there are Bat and Superman symbols on fucking everything.
>>
Remember when Marvel Legends was good. Shit, that Man-Thing figure I bought like 200 years ago's still sitting on my shelf.
>>
>>77350242
did the quality drop or something ? i still have a thor here
>>
>>77345055
DC has been doing good stuff in the DC collectibles market. The 6inch figures based on BTAS are really nice and are hitting some really obscure characters.

But yeah, the general mass market in a mess. Green Lantern put a LOT of retailers off DC stuff. (The MOS stuff sold better, but it had numerous characters that shouldn't have been made in a wave and pegwarmed)
>>
>>77350320
The Cooke wave of the Artists series better be good
>>
>>77345055
>Why is there a lack of any DC comics toys being sold in stores?

Mattel fucked up. They are trying to bring back the Classics line though.
>>
If I remember correctly, DC's only toy manufacturer aren't that good or detailed. So when they make action cartoons and their shitty toys aren't selling, they blame the action cartoons and cancel them.
>>
>>77345556
Lego made both Green Lantern and Superman sets like half a year ago, they even put fucking Hawkman (and a good chunk of Teen Titans) in a set recently. DC is lacking in the action figure department but since Lego has on averahe much higher porduction standards than Mattel, let alone Hasbro, it's not much of a waste imo.
>>
>>77350320
>The 6inch figures based on BTAS are really nice

This. It's easily my favorite 6 inch line of the last 8 years. Really great attention to detail, accessories and accurate to the Timm designs. Plus we're getting characters like Zatanna and Etrigon early in the line.
>>
File: MTM7262Blg.jpg (152 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
MTM7262Blg.jpg
152 KB, 500x500
>>77350390
Remember Infinite Heroes?
>>
>>77350320
>DC collectibles

I bought Suicide Squad Harley and she doesn't have hip articulation. The fact that I have a Burgess Merideth action figure that has better articulation than my Harley Quinn is fucking insane.

DC Collectibles: Never Again.
>>
>>77350466
Lego is different. Marvel also has licensed Lego sets.
>>
>>77350649
>hip articulation.

This is actually a really common problem in the DCC lines. I believe its usually done for durability/stability reasons but I wouldn't be surprised if it was to save on costs.
>>
>>77350375
The only Classics toy I have is a Powergirl I picked up on clearance a few years back. She's...okay.

They did a 6" figure series a while back but cancelled it because they made it a subscription service like their fucking MOtU series (which was ALSO a huge failure)

DC needs to fucking drop Mattel and go with Hasbro or just go straight to another company for their collector's stuff, because Mattel is incapable of it.
>>
>>77350700
Well its fucking stupid.

The Gotham line is actually really well articulated. I bought their Penguin today and like him a lot. Shame about the lack of accessories, but he's pretty good. Full ankle joints and an ab crunch and everything.
>>
>>77350666
DC has a much better relationship with Lego than Marvel, to be fair, and more joint projects with them besides just the toyline (games with more creative freedom for Lego, DC characters in TLM, a separate Lego movie about TLM Batman in the works, direct-to-dvd JL animated movies). Initially both were kinda strict about what Lego can make - DC wanted a "Batman and friends" approach but now it's changing as the other Lego anon said, Marvel stuff is 90% MCU
>>
>>77350746
>They did a 6" figure series a while back but cancelled it because they made it a subscription service like their fucking MOtU series (which was ALSO a huge failure)

Yeah I know. But recently they've announced they're bringing it back by doing a Dark Knight Returns Classics (which is basically repaints and remolds of three figures) for Wal-Mart exclusive and then they're doing another new line with TV Arrow and Flash, Zero Year Batman, Earth-23 Superman, and Joker from Endgame.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.