[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Superman Origins
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
Rank em /co/, I feel like talkin about these

For me its

Birthright > MoS >>>>> Secret Origins

I know Secret Origins job was to just play it safe and have a solid origin but goddamn nothing interesting was in there
>>
Secret Origins is basically, "Here are the things you need to know about Superman's past." Which is fine.
>>
>>77344164
did we even need that though

>krypton blows up
>clark lands in kansas and is raised by the kents
>becomes reporter

Didn't need to be said
>>
>>77344094
Yeah basically.

Birthright is the best paced though it does suffer a bit for a kind of weak Lex Luthor.

The idea of Luthor as some whiny loser who just wanted friends is kind of lame and Secret Origins at least has a somewhat more interesting Luthor by comparison even if the overall story is pretty dull and mostly an exercise in continuity wank.
>>
>>77344211
i felt like birthright luthor at least had more to him than "i'm a giant asshole". Plus I thought the friends stuff was when he was a kid
>>
MoS > Secret Origins > Birthright.

MoS is the best one because it covers a lot of stuff in a satisfying manner as well as tell self-contained, full stories while doing so. Secret Origins is a goofy fun in a Donner/silver age way, but not that interesting overall. Too vanilla and bland, more of a quick paced "let's reference a lot of Superman lore" without telling a decent, overarching story. Birthright has good character bits in it, but as a larger story it's a very disappointing and dull.
>>
File: secret.jpg (944 KB, 1727x760) Image search: [Google]
secret.jpg
944 KB, 1727x760
I honesty think that Secret Identity is better than those
>>
>>77344281
you mean the story on "real earth" with the kid ironically named clark kent?
>>
>>77344187
Yes because it was establishing the current continuity while origins were in flux.
>nu52perman isn't even on the list
kek.
>>
>>77344094
Birthright. I don't even feel like ranking the others really.
>>
>>77345612
nu52 hasnt had a mini series devoted to telling his origin, morrisons run doesnt really count in that regard

even though I have a raging boner for it
>>
File: AC_Cv5_ds.jpg (127 KB, 350x538) Image search: [Google]
AC_Cv5_ds.jpg
127 KB, 350x538
>>77344094
Still one of the best articles

http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2012/02/the_30_best_retellings_of_supermans_origins.php
>>
>>77344094

I've never read MoS but what I didn't like about the other 2 were how Luthor was from Smallville.

Secret Origins was decent but I wasn't too fan of the Donner Superman art style. Birthright was pretty but just not the ideal origin.

I really liked the New 52 AC origin.
>>
>>77345787
>morrisons run doesnt really count
How when it's the only origin story for the current canon Superman?
>>
>>77346004
It's not really an origin, just his early adventures
>>
File: all-star-superman-origins.jpg (50 KB, 420x663) Image search: [Google]
all-star-superman-origins.jpg
50 KB, 420x663
>>77344094
This is #1, followed by Birthright (because of the art), followed by the Donner movie, Secret Identity, Secret Origins and somewhere, some place below everything and anything else (including the origins of anyone and everyone else in the DCU/Wildstorm, etc.), anything Byrne wrote.
>>
I honestly can't think of a Superman origin story I'm completely happy with. They all seem to take way too long to get to the fucking point. Do we need to spend an hour or six issues watching him decide to put on the fucking tights? Like Birthright and Man of Steel (Byrne not Snyder) have lots of good stuff in there but they go on for fucking forever. How long do we really need to spend on Krypton? Short and sweet like this >>77346109 is better but is still predated on the reader knowing his entire origin off by heart, which everybody already does.
>>
Gary Frank's a good artist, but him trying to draw Christopher Reeve, especially a child who looks like Christopher Reeve is uncanny valley as fuck
>>
>>77346109
All-Star Superman is not a Superman origin story.
>>
>>77344281
I came here to post this. OP is a god damn pleb for not including it.
>>
Mos > TAS > The Rest
>>
File: 1497739-meh.ro1196[1].jpg (221 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1497739-meh.ro1196[1].jpg
221 KB, 1600x1200
>>77346528
Faggot.
>>
>>77346562
Red Son is good but SI is GOAT
>>
>>77346562
Red Son is overrated.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.