[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of the new Fate, /co/? I like this series,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
What do you think of the new Fate, /co/?

I like this series, but I feel like it's moving way too slowly, and they haven't used that slowness well to give much depth to the characters or build up the setting. Issue 5 seemed to improve things a bit. Love the artwork, especially the way the supernatural stuff is drawn.

Will it be cancelled before anything happens? Will you care? I want it to succeed, but I also want the pace to ramp up a bit.
>>
I think Paul Levitz is too old to be writing books about teens.
>>
>>77328928
I liked the cover of the recent issue, kind of Gasoline Alley-esque.
>>
>>77328928
It's a blatant attempt from DC to cash in on how successful Kamala was.

>whoa look at this we got an arab superhero too
>whose also a teenager
>that gets wacky powers
>and this art style is so tumblr
>pls buy this book
>>
>>77330249
More like
>Dr. Fate is moderately popular
>let's put out a new series alongside a bunch of other B-lister titles
>but Earth-2 is a nightmare, so let's use an Earth-0 one based on the new Earth-2 one since her never got to do anything
>and let's give it a kinda weird artist, since it's Dr. Fate
>and let's barely promote it, or any DCYOU titles, since we're insanely bad at marketing
>>
>>77328928
I'm buying it, but I'm disappointed that we've gotten two issues of exposition in five issues. Probably going to drop it if the next one is just more nothing happening.
>>
>>77330440
My assumption is that Levitz is deliberately pacing since all of the DCYou titles are supposed to be given 12 issues. But it's just made some of the issues a bit of a drag.

Any idea how it's selling?
>>
>>77330375
Fear of this comic being related to Earth-2 is what kept me away from this book.
>>
File: Legion of Super-Heroes 17-004.jpg (3 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
Legion of Super-Heroes 17-004.jpg
3 MB, 1920x2951
>>77328957
He certainly fucked up the finale of the Legion of Super Heroes.
>>
>>77328928

That's pretty much my opinions on it as well. Levitz needs a boot to his ass to get this thing moving.
>>
File: frenchie.jpg (17 KB, 261x200) Image search: [Google]
frenchie.jpg
17 KB, 261x200
Not a big Fate guy, ironically been reading this series and a whole bunch of stuff with Fate in it anyway, but it feels like it hasn't found its footing yet

It tries to be a quasi-commentary on religion and atheism while delving into the magical lore of the Egyptian Gods in the modern world and on top of that it's going for a very spiderman-ish "teen hero who doesn't know what he's doing but is gonna try anyway" vibe that really makes it all a jumbled mess. There are some pretty good ideas here and there and it certainly isn't bad, just a bit too much. Also the art can be very iffy at times. Covers are really damn nice, but the dude cannot draw anything more articulated than a city street for shit

I mean Doc Fate's always got kind of a slow-burn attitude to his books, almost like a classic Bela Lugosi film. It's great, amazing, iconic, etc. but it's still a chore to get through until the actual great/amazing/iconic bit happens. Patience is a virtue, and I'm not so sure that the New 52 Fate knows that
>>
I like it for the art, but I'm not picking it up in singles. I'll pick up the trade. The writing is just going nowhere. Every issue has felt like a filler issue.
>>
>>77334628
>The writing is just going nowhere. Every issue has felt like a filler issue.

The best issue, by far, was ironically the 000/DC Sneak Peek issue. I only kept reading past the first (really boring) issue of the actual series because I was really jazzed up over the short into from the #000 one.

And then nothing happened. And then nothing happened again. And then, last issue, I got tired of Waiting For Godot and dropped it.

In all seriousness if something were to happen NEXT issue I'd be willing to bet that you could read the Sneak Peak issue and (maybe) the 001 issue and just fucking skip every issue between and lose absolutely nothing.

Bullshit like this is why I just refuse to read anything by Bendis anymore.
>>
>>77334628

>Waiting for trades

Keep waiting. It's because people like you that most series fail and in the end there are no trades.
>>
>>77335089
>It's because people like you that most series fail and in the end there are no trades.

No, it's the fault of Marvel and DC for having terrible business models that are stuck in the past reliant on floppies. I'm not going to support a book on the off chance that it gets good down the line. I only buy floppies for series I really love.

Feel free to waste your money though.
>>
>>77335089
>most series fail

Then they need to change their business model. There's a reason that the Big Two make up the lion's share of the floppy sales and then Image comes along and eats their lunch with their trades.
>>
>>77335273
The whole business model of the Big 2 is not going to change in time to save [that comic you love].
>>
>>77328928
I want to like it, but it really is so goddamn slow. It has everything going for it but the pacing is awful.
>>
>>77335359
But if enough people start waiting for trades, they will change their business model and things will be better overall
>>
>>77338569
In fact, DC's learning that shit right now.
>>
>KHALID THE WORLD IS GOING TO DROWN, YOU MUST BECOME A HERO
>b-but my exams...
>>
>>77330249

Or it's just DC giving one of their C listers a shot. That thing they have been doing for the past 5 years
>>
>>77328928

Unless it ramps up in the next issue I'm dropping it. The worlds been flooding for fucking months now
>>
>>77338674
>>77338569

When everybody catches onto Marvels shit with the relaunches DC and Image will reap the rewards with trades. That's what I keep telling myself
>>
I think it's good but it's probably better in trade, it'll be a finished story with lots of exposition.
>>
I had been waiting for a new series on Doctor Fate for years after reading Countdown to Mystery, and honestly this new run has not impressed me, especially since it seems the new kid doesn't even have a full costume. I tried reading the first 2 issues, but I just can't get past the awfully slow story and sad attempt to copy Kamala. I'll wait for a full hardback collection volume compilation thingy if the series gets one and read it at a Barnes and Noble if I'm bored enough.
>>
>>77328928
It's not bad in any major way, just really dull and uninteresting.

Bland comics for people that are easily triggered.
>>
>>77328928
My favorite part of the series was when Fate was floating in the air and talking to some criminals while acting all tough. And instead they just shoot at him.
I thought that was kinda funny.
>>
I like it. I agree it is a tad slow and that's putting me off, but I'm willing to tough it out for the art. All the trippy Fate stuff has been rad
>>
>>77330249
This is going to be an odd concept for a Marvel reader, but for DC, "diversity" isn't just an editorial mandate from their handlers. They've had arab characters since forever.
>>
>>77330249
>Khalid has been fate on earth 2 since like 2012
>implying he's a walking fetish and a meme spouting retard like Kamala

Drones are seriously retarded
>>
The book's interesting overall, and the character is OK, but actually reading it feels like a chore.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.