[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your opinion on Shapeshifting as a super power? I notice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
What is your opinion on Shapeshifting as a super power? I notice that anyone that has this power has the tendency to be in higher ranks in the faction they're in.
>>
File: 1365125046556.jpg (16 KB, 303x312) Image search: [Google]
1365125046556.jpg
16 KB, 303x312
I think it's super fucking hot
>>
>>77323563
Shapeshifting is useless if you can't also mimic other superpowers and memories. If you're just a mook who can look like someone else, you can't really do much with it.
>>
>>77324861
Useless in combat but it's a useful power for spying and stealing, which is what Mystique usually does. Not every X-Man or Brotherhood member has to be on the front lines to help the cause.
>>
>>77324861
>Shapeshifting is useless if you can't also mimic other superpowers and memories.
You're a moron.
>>
>>77324861
Lol whut? Amazing deception power.
Powerlevel retard.
>>
>>77324861
>>DURR IF IT CAN'T BE USED FOR BRAWLS ITS USELESS
Jesus christ mate, think for a second.
>>
>>77324861
>What is tricking your opponent in battle to make them off balance
>What is looking like random guard #75 that no one will question while sneaking in somewhere

And those two are literally just the most basic use of the power. You lack imagination.
>>
>>77324861
are you retarded
>>
This thread really turned in "how stupid is >>77324861?"
>>
File: 1385148320964.gif (122 KB, 218x314) Image search: [Google]
1385148320964.gif
122 KB, 218x314
>>77324861
Can't even answer the question anymore because of this.
>>
>>77324861
Go back to reading DBZ or OPM.
>>
>>77323563
i just wish someone would acknowledge the ludicrous amount of data being thrown around and how it's being handled. How someone's eye can be so good it can mimic tiny details of a person they see, how their body knows how to form itself again after changes.. an accompanying imaging computer could do it, but those usually get used for this trope's cousin: the overlaid holographic disguise (nevermind how you see through it).. and then you have the issue of how it can process movement quickly enough that it keeps up with your movements
>>
File: 1445729908577.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1445729908577.png
13 KB, 418x359
>>77323563

It's mostly used for cliche plots. You've seen it a hundred times probably

>It's me
>NO! He's lying! I'm the real me!
>Shoot him! he's trying to trick you! It's him, he's in disguise!
>No! You have to trust me! It's really me! Shoot him instead!
>>
>>77324861
>>
>>77324861
You. Fucking. Idiot.
>>
>>77323563
>What is your opinion on Shapeshifting as a super power?

It is hugely dependent on social intelligence for the type of shit people actually pull off with it. Its great for espionage, shit for combat unless your shapeshifting is strong enough to include alterations to your hardness and giving yourself shit like claws or spikes or altering your density and volume.
>>
>>77324861

If you shapeshift you aren't going to announce that you are a shape shifter then attack someone head on. You are going to use stealth and kill them when they don't suspect it. You can also make a whole group turn against each other by transforming and attacking others. You could also transform into someone kill a person or commit a crime and let the person you transformed into take the heat for it.
>>
>>77327075
You're kind of an idiot if you don't grasp the potential application of shapeshifting in attempting to kill someone.

Having claws is shit compared to being able to just shoot someone in the back when you get the drop on them.
>>
>>77325059
>>77325068
>>77325100
>>77325115
>>77325170
>>77325537
>>77325761
>>77325891
>>77326479
>>77327014
>>77327717

The power is literally worthless if you can't beat your target in a fight.

>Turns into Prime Minister
>Can't mimic personality right
>Gets fucking killed
>You fags actually think this is a good power

Lel. I'll take Super Strength every fucking day. Have fun getting obliterated with a single punch.
>>
>>77327791
You just shitposting because you got called out?
You're lack of forethought is also showing in your choice of power, since super strength is pretty useless without super durability
>>
>>77323563
mystique style "glace at someone and then fully replicate their body, clothing, mannerisms and voice" is just hard to believe. maybe if it had a psychic basis, which is possible in the marvel universe, I would be willing to accept it, but that's not the way it's portrayed.
>>
>>77327791
No one is going to know you're a shapeshifter that easily
, dumbass.
>>
I think it depends on the tier of power being thrown around in the series.

Oolong and Puar dropped in importance really really early in Dragonball. Since turning into absolutely anything including motorized vehicles is useless when the villains casually blow up planets.

Down to earth and street level stories it is ridiculously useful. But if heroes need to have continent cracking levels of power it is considered pointless.
>>
Shapeshifting is a useful power period,I don't know why some anons have such a low opinion of it.
>>
File: 1432434348798.png (249 KB, 534x322) Image search: [Google]
1432434348798.png
249 KB, 534x322
>>77327987
Seeing as you can kill some of the strongest guys in DBZ just by shooting them in the back with a laser gun when they don't see it coming then shapeshifting could actually be really powerful in that series.

Honestly the Punisher could easily kill most of the heroes of Dragonball Earth.
>>
So whats stopping a Shapeshifter from transforming into some Eldritch Monster with regenerative capabilities?
Or some fuck huge Dragon monster?
>>
>>77323563
>What is your opinion on Shapeshifting as a super power?

Been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.
>>
>>77328117
Well for one thing not all shapeshifters can turn into stuff bigger than them, especially not stuff significantly bigger than them.
Plus they can't all just regrow masses of matter to replace damage.
>>
>>77327791
If you can shapeshift you never even have to fight. Depending on how deep your abilities go, you could just shrink away, or morph your body around punches/bullets/etc. If you had control on a molecular level, you could theoretically copy other superpowers by integrating the source of those powers (a specific gene or receptor, alien DNA, or just abnormal skeletal/muscular/ligament features) into your own cellular structure.
>>
>>77328216
By that point though its not really shapeshifting its power adaptions/absorption, which is considered another thing entirely. You're just fluffing it as a way to combine your two power into one source to make the abilities more consistent.
>>
>>77328344
To claim them as entirely separate things, you'd need to define the specifics of how any particular shapeshifting skill works. If you can make any specific atom in your body replicate another atom (and reduce or increase the overall number of atoms), your powers are limitless. On the other hand, if you can only manipulate a body like clay, just shifting colors and coordinates within the limits of your own mass, you're obviously much more limited in what you can do.

Even in the case of the former, unless your power works on some form of psychic or subconscious level, you'd still have to be able to intimately know how a power works to be able to replicate it - you'd have to know what it is before you can integrate it into yourself. Either you'd have to define and test a way to alter your body to make that power possible, or get x-rays/genetic sequencing/what-have-you from the person you're trying to mimic to try and understand the how and why.
>>
>>77324861
What man shape shifting has limitless potential and if it dosen't effect just your physical appearance but attributes as well you can be stronger and faster than an average human.
>>
Its only really good for instances that dont involve battles beyond hand to hand combat.
Otherwise its pretty easy to start chaos
Maybe not so much as to create order though.
So really the power is pointless unless you are creative and careful about it
>>
>>77327791
That's why God invented guns.
>>
>>77329466
Except half of being a super spy is stopping the bad guy before he can destabilize the world the other half of course is fucking bitches.
Even the most basic shapeshifting abilities is incredibly useful to such a hero.
>>
>>77323563
It's a great power, over-powered even, but most people get really uncreative with it.
More people need to use it like 007 from the 009:cyborgs manga did, turning into animals and contorting your body into weird shapes and blobs. Hell, he as even an actor to help ith his mimicing of people.
>>
>>77323563
It's my favorite. I like the mindfuckery or deceptiveness that can be played with it.

It's also my fetish
>>
>>77328061
that is some intense jobbing. did that really happen?
it wasnt some kind of magic space-x laser from the kaiousama planet?
>>
>>77323563
I think it's one of the best powers out there. That plus not getting prego or human diseases and I'd live happy.
>>
>>77324861
I can use it to masturbate.
Checkmate.
>>
>>77338079
In Dragonball, fighters have to actively focus on using their ki in order to make their bodies super-strong. It's not automatic.
>>
>>77323563
It has incredibly high potential and is my favorite superpower, has even more potential if you can change into something more than another person, like an animal, but it's often rarely used effectively.

Usually it's just a gimmick to slip up characters by turning into a comrade while they're near, causing them to choose who to hit. Though it's hilarious when the character attacks both of them due to how little they care for that particular person.

Also it makes sense they're held in high regard on their team, since they're perfect for espionage and assassination while being able to sneak out without a single alarm, and can even pin the blame of the crime on an enemy.
>>
>>77338079
DBZ fighters are actually super weak, its not a joke to say someone like Punisher could preptime the shit out of 90% of them no problem outside of the major villains like Cell/Buu who can't be killed so easily due to the state of their body.

The only reason it isn't obvious is because its a shitty shounen about powerlevels and punching each other in the face where no one actually uses indirect tactics. Toriyama is not a good writer and the quality of the story declines the longer it was drawn out.
>>
>>77344481
It's anime/manga. Of course it's shit with no quality.
>>
>>77323563
>I notice that anyone that has this power has the tendency to be in higher ranks in the faction they're in.
Because it's a basic allegory for manipulation. Besides a lot of shapeshifters can't fight for shit, so they have to be the smart ones.
>>
>>77338079
there's a crazy amount of different between a DB's endurance when ready for battle and when relaxed, due to something like how much ki they are reinforcing their bodies with or something
Eaerlier in the movie Goku was being chewed out on how quick he is to let his guard down and relax when he thinks the fight is over
>>
>>77323563
>I notice that anyone that has this power has the tendency to be in higher ranks in the faction they're in
either you trust the shapeshifter with all your confidental intel or you kill them before they can learn your secrets. That's the call you have to make
>>
>>77328344

Cartoon Beast Boy is a relatively limited shapeshifter, and he could use any "superpowers" his transformed version had.

If you shapeshift into say, a Tamaranian in that series, you are pretty set for good fighting powers.
Beast Boy is just sorta an idiot and doesn't abuse this(though to be fair to him, the stronger the form, the faster he exhausts himself, so there is some logic to it).

This is clearly just shapeshifting and not "power adaption", just an ability to take on the anatomy of a tamaranian.
>>
the power of shapeshiping depends on what kind.

is it limited to only humans?
do you need to have seen your target? does it need to exist? will your voice change?
can you only do something the same size? is it painful? timelimit?

also shapeshifting is fucking toptier.
just read animorphs.
step 1. absorb DNA of what you want to morph
2 morph said creature
3 dont become a nothlit

side effects: you return to your own form, but there are no scars and all wounds are healed since it is based on your DNA, and injuries are not part of it.
>>
as mentioned earlier, pretty OP if used correctly

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/shapeshifting
>>
>>77328117
Law of conservation of mass, for starters
>>
>>77327791
Mystique impersonated Senator Kelly for a while in the movies and nobody found out (apart from the X-Men), and she's smart enough not to take on stronger opponents. She's a spy and assassin first, fighter second.
>>
>>77328117
it depends on their powerlevel and how their powers work.

exampl: animorphs can turn to small bugs, and their mass is transported to Z-space, where is stays distorted until they morph back.

Terminator cant change their mass because where is the mass coming from? where does it go?
>>
>>77344481
Punisher could not do shut anon
>>
>>77346854
Just snipe them in the back with a laser rifle, while they are standing around in day to day life. Fucking dead.

Fuck even Spiderman is harder to kill because at least he can feel that shit coming, but since its not a ki blast the z-fighters have to rely on their eyes and ears and if they aren't expecting it then they die since they have no protection naturally.

The newest movie just made this blatantly clear, even gods must by wary of a surprising ass fucking with a ray gun.
>>
Shapeshifting is a very broad category of super-powers and has many different forms.

But if you mean specifically master of disguise shape shifting, it is an extremely powerful espionage tool and information doesn't stop being useful no matter how powerful your enemy is. Only problem is that the user pretty much has to be a master of charisma in addition to being a covert-ops god with a million and one talents in order to really make use of the power. Otherwise you got a pub Spy in TF2. Actually that'd be kind of interesting. Wouldn't surprise me if "average guy who's not particularly good at adapting to situation uses shapeshifting powers poorly" has been done before.
>>
Depends on what all you get when you shapeshift. I assume you also change your voicebox to match the target thus giving you their voice. Do you gain density to match their weight? If so shapeshifting into the hulk or blob while someone is lifting you up or your on top of them would be deadly.

Of course there are many espionage skills, and with patience and study of the target can assume their place. Does the shapeshifting only include humanoids, or can you shift into animals too? Also depending on who you shape shift as you get some powers, like with angel you would be able to fly, though you wouldnt get his healing powers obviously.

TLDR: Shapeshifting is a top tier power if used correctly and depending on the nature of shapeshifting.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.