[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you seen Disney's John Henry? It's sort of a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 32
File: 1446966003342.jpg (98 KB, 293x225) Image search: [Google]
1446966003342.jpg
98 KB, 293x225
Have you seen Disney's John Henry?

It's sort of a lost Disney animated short that only got shown to the public six times at one theater in 2000. You can see it on Netflix now under "Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection", which just came out a few months ago. I guess the reason why it barely got screened is because Disney thought just because it has Black characters in it, they would be labeled racists, even though there is 0% racism in it. It's actually very good, so it's a shame that almost no one knows about it.
>>
>>77314867
never seen it, might watch it some time.

Honestly the tale of John Henry is kind of dumb once viewed through a modern context. He did slightly better than a steam powered driving machine and in the process died. Maybe that meant something 100 years ago when the tale was fresh but it kind rings false when it's gotten to the point that whenever I try to apply for a job I hear "do it online."
>>
I kind of feel weird about the scene where John Henry puts down the hammer and seems like he's about to give up, maybe because he realizes that if he keeps going he's going to die, and then Polly picks it up and puts it back in his hands and eggs him on to keep going anyway, and then he dies. Like, seriously, fuck Polly.
>>
>>77315339
It's not dumb at all. It's a theme that has surfaced again several times, both in Star Trek (M5 controlling the Enterprise), all of the Terminator series, and in Asimov's books. As well as the US Auto Union workers through the 80's.

When man's accomplishments can be done with a machine, there's a fear of replacement OR a deeply felt sentiment that man will become less than what he is now by risking less. It was kinda prophetic of what was to come in a huge way.
>>
I remember their Johnny Appleseed cartoon better. Sleepy Hollow is probably the best remembered of that series of American Folklore/literature.
>>
File: Redesign.png (404 KB, 897x667) Image search: [Google]
Redesign.png
404 KB, 897x667
>>77314867
You ever got fictional character that got the same name as you?
>>
>>77315617
John Henry wasn't purely fictional.
>>
>>77315558
no see the story is dumb because machines are absolutely better at driving railspikes than human beings on a massive scale. Machines are absolutely better than humans at doing a ton of shit. The problem that arises from that point isn't machinery replacing humans but humans cutting other humans out of an economic transaction.

The story has some elements of that with the greedy city slicker and his steam hammer but at the end of the day it's not machines putting humans out of work it's humans being made obsolete by technological advancement. People can bring up "the threat machines pose to man" as many times as they want and all I'll ever see is ignorant folk having their economic niche filled by something else blaming machinery when they should be blaming a broken economic system not advancing technology.

Man doesn't become "less than what he is now by risking less" when he replaces a stupid, dangerous job with a safer automated alternative. (and I've worked plenty of those) He makes the world a safer more civil place. You want to live an interesting life? Go volunteer for the peacecorp or join, consider the risks of picking up malaria in areas of the world where that hasn't been wiped out along with other things.

The story is dumb.
>>
>>77314867
I like that they were accurate on the railroad origins by adding an Irish dude. All they needed were Chinese.
>>
>>77316964
The story of John Henry is takes place in the east and the Chinese mostly worked out west.
>>
The animation bugged me. I didn't like how you could se the pencil lines felt like they didn't finish it.
>>
>>77315676
Wait, what?
>>
>>77317044
He's a tall tale. A legend. Yeah this story probably never happened exactly as the legend says, and there are lots of obvious embellishments like him being born with a hammer. But it's probably based on something that happened involving an actual guy.
>>
Lenny Henry's grandfather. True fact.
>>
>>77314867
John Henry dindu nuffin
>>
>>77318600
Except he did though, that's the point of the story. It just didn't involve grand theft auto or whinging about reparations.
>>
>>77315339
It's a pro type of the "killer robot" story.
>>
>>77314867
I don't really get the story of John Henry being presented as a triumph. Even their best human worker was the only one who could keep up with the steam drill, and he died in the process. It's more of a tragedy.
>>
>>77314867
I cried
>>
>>77314867
I just remember that the guy was so strong he effortlessly beat all the other guys at arm wrestling, but when his wife competes, he loses to her.

Also that ending was sad as fuck.
>>
>>77319629
Bittersweet I guess. He died but he won.
>>
>>77319875
Did he? I mean, the steam drill guys are gonna look at this and see "The only guy who would outperform our machine died."
>>
>>77316999
I kinda liked it for that aspect. Gave it a rough gritty organic feel.
>>
>>77319629
That's kind of the point
He was a steel driving man, so a machine existing that was better at it than he was would mean he had no reason to live anyway.
It was a personal triumph, but whether he won or lost he was getting replaced anyway.

Bunch of good music got made about it, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9TUaHPRsq0
>>
>>77319912
He died for his beliefs. He died a legend.

It's just a fun folktale.
>>
JOHN HENRY, JOHN HENRY, JOHN HENRY WAS A MIGHTY MAN. BORN WITH A HAMMER, BORN WITH A HAMMER, BORN WITH A HAMMER, IN HIS HANDS.

If I remember right, there was also a Casey Jones and Paul Bunyan thing included in the movie as well.
>>
>>77314867
I watched it the other night, I thought it was great, especially the music.

Speaking of the Short Films Collection, anyone else see Tangled Ever After? Because I was pissing myself laughing during it
>>
>>77315730
The point of the legend isn't about who can drive steel better though, if you remember it was the fact that the workers were promised land and benefits in a contract and the railroad was going to fuck them over.
It's about fighting for the rights of the working class, not just resisting automation.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (331 KB, 900x542) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
331 KB, 900x542
>guys we need a design for our John Henry short
>uh
>what if Belle was black?

It's like Disney made one of those edit threads canon.
>>
>>77321785

I think the sticking point for a lot of people is that John Henry ultimately dies to win a bit. There may be larger concepts at work here, but ultimately that is such a petty, wasteful reason for a person to die. Even for the sake of a metaphor.
>>
>>77321732
Tangled ever after was great.

I think my favorite from the collection was the cat-tail tango.
>>
>>77314867
It got some kind of dvd release in the early 2000s, packaged with Disney's Paul Bunyon and Johnny Appleseed shorts. It was put on for one of my classes.
>>
>>77321831
Based desu.
>>
>>77321941
Same here, I remember watching this in like second/third/fourth grade or something along with the johnny appleseed one.

Sometimes at the end of the day the teacher would put on a video if we were done with everything and it was either that or House of Mouse.
>>
>>77321891
Cat tail tango was good, if not a little dark

feast was feels that I was not fucking ready for, holy shit
>>
>>77321891
I hated that Lorenzo short so fucking much. The animation was awesome, but I was not entertained.
>>
>>77321941
I remember that one also had a wacky, wild, casey jones cartoon in it at the end, which I always thought was a little weird given the casey jones story
>>
>>77321877
He died for the rights of the people who worked with him, how is that dumb?
>>
>>77321831
It was directed by Mark Henn, that's just how he draws.
>>
>>77314867
I liked it a lot, especially the airbrush stuff in the tunnel. Felt very Fantasia.

Rough outlines are fine, but it really bugged me to see the guide lines on their faces.
>>
File: S2e3_Polly_and_Big_Henry.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
S2e3_Polly_and_Big_Henry.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>77314867
I enjoyed the reference to this in Gravity Falls. Literally the only good thing in a terrible episode.
>>
>>77322220
Hey I liked that ep
>>
>>77319854
She beguiled him with a kiss and he laughed. It was cute.
>>
>>77319912
Let's be fair - the Disney version shows the steam drill dying in the process as well.
>>
>>77317044

John Henry is as real as Johnny Appleseed, as in he existed but later stories embellished him so much that it's the embellished stories we remember.

There was a black railroad worker named John Henry (probably a convict forced to work on the railroad or an ex-slave, or both) who probably did win a contest against a railroad machine.

Anything else is just legend and tall tales.
>>
>>77314867
I saw it today, very nice little short.
I'm not American, so I only hear of the John Henry legend a couple of weeks ago, very coincidental that I saw this so soon after hearing the story.
The bulk of the animation reminded me of some the cheaper 60/70s Disney movies, where the rough pencil sketches were xeroxed in and lines weren't cleaned up properly. Gave it a nice nostalgic feeling but I could see it being a distraction. The tunneling seen looked fantastic, like >>77322211 said, it had a Fantasia vibe to it.
The songs were a little hit and miss. The work songs fitted the style perfectly, but the solo performances came across a little weak.
It's a shame this was considered lost, I'd definitely say this is something people should see.
>>
>>77319944

Here's another from Johnny Cash.
Fantastic song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztvmyW8BWxE
>>
>>77322469
>60/70s disney movies with rough pencil sketches
I always found that period weird. Sword and the Stone and robin hood seemed to characterize this
>>
>>77322528
I believe it was a money saving exercise because Disney were teetering on bankruptcy during that period, though I could be wrong.
Hard to imagine a time when the House of Mouse wasn't a hyper-global super entity that controls virtually all humanly consumable media, but their you go.
>>
File: song-of-the-south.jpg (222 KB, 1349x1062) Image search: [Google]
song-of-the-south.jpg
222 KB, 1349x1062
Disney has made some odd choices during its time.
I think I only saw this once when I was stupidly young when it was on TV, before the PC police banned it. I can only remember the main song and not much else about the plot or the characters.
>>
>>77322743
I don't remember the whole movie but Zipadeedoohdah was used a ton in sing along type things when I was a kid, to the point I always thought that was the whole short back then.
>>
>>77319629

Not really supposed to be a triumph. A lot of the old American folktales have an undercurrent of tragedy brought on by changing times and values with heroes making noble but ultimately futile attempts to fight against that change.
>>
>>77322895
That sort of thing was called the Death of the West or the Death of the Frontier back then. Still is. But that obsession in America largely died around the mid-60's.
>>
>>77322131
They still lost doe
>>
>>77322627
Disney as a company was as healthy as ever when those two particular movies came out, but the animated feature film department had to cut back after Sleeping Beauty did poorly.
>>
>>77322743

I saw it years and years ago but I really can't for the life of me remember what was so racist about it other than it had a black man on a plantation in a time when that wasn't an uncommon occurrence. I don't remember Uncle Remus being a particularly negative character.
>>
File: tumblr_m9qojx0u411rpike2o1_500.gif (985 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9qojx0u411rpike2o1_500.gif
985 KB, 500x282
>>77321732
>"The kingdom is lost!"
Couldn't fucking breath after that
>>
>>77314867

I'm not to familiar with American folklore but at least I now know why Max Landis was groaning about Steels name
>>
>>77323161
holy shit

That, and the scene where Max and Pascal come back covered in tar, specifically both of their faces
>>
I saw it when I was about 10. So I barely remember anything.
>>
>>77323256
>Eugene just quickly grabs the rings
>>
>>77323142
Walt turned Uncle Remus and the reformation period into a clean fable, with all the black workers happy all the time and singing, so it could fit the fantasy of the Brer Rabbit scenes. It's all just incredibly misguided.
>>
>>77322220
i enjoyed how he looks like a buff golf ball version of homestar runner
>>
>>77323326
Thanks for your comment?
>>
>>77323419
You're welcome.
>>
>>77323142
>what was so racist about it other than it had a black man on a plantation in a time when that wasn't an uncommon occurrence

That was pretty much it. People get offended by it because Uncle Remus doesn't spend any time bitching or lamenting his situation on the plantation as the modern audience now assumes he should, and instead everyone just acts like the sharecroppers are fine with their lives.

Interestingly I've heard Disney did originally want to add more drama and have Uncle Remus and some sharecroppers get fed up with the plantation shit and get ready to leave, but it was cut because it was worried the audience at the time of release wouldn't like the conflict berating whitey. The film also doesn't make as much of a point that the household is having financial trouble because it's so difficult to pay the former slaves, which was also planned but toned down.
>>
>>77314867
I read the tale of him in Russia. At the time, it was my concept of a legend and a hero.
Thanks for pointing out to animation, Anon.
>>
Throwing in the stuff in liked as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNtcDjywBA
>>
>>77315339

He didn't die actually. He beat the machine and continued steel driving.

He died to some rockfalls set off by a blast sometime after the contest. They buried him quickly next to a donkey at the end of the tunnel so that the other workers wouldn't get depressed.
>>
>>77327099
Not muh John Henry.

He died when his heart exploded from overexerting himself. That's how the story goes.
>>
File: Das It Man.png (1 MB, 945x691) Image search: [Google]
Das It Man.png
1 MB, 945x691
>>77321718

I made a 10 minute loop of this just incase I need motivation for anything.
>>
File: Jizz Djinn.png (143 KB, 314x311) Image search: [Google]
Jizz Djinn.png
143 KB, 314x311
>>77327259

Well yeah, that's the ballad version of it.

I'm just refuting anons saying that John's efforts were pointless because he died afterwards. Nigga won and kept steel driving.

If anything, the real tragedy was the shitty burial they gave him and then how his story ended up being merged with John Hardy, a murderer who was hanged after losing a game of craps.

It wasn't until far later that they split the stories again.

Defeated a machine
Killed by some rocks
Buried by a mule
Mistaken for someone else
Disney adaption barely unknown by anyone

Does anyone else have a harder life?
>>
>>77327371
John Hardy has a good song too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNjOAlQDOso

I didn't know people confused them though, other than the obviously similar names.
>>
File: Born With a Hammer.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Born With a Hammer.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>
>>77322743
Briar rabbit is actually an African folk tail. I don't know why they made it into that.
>>
>>77314867
What other American myths are there for Disney shorts?

We have Johnny Appleseed, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Paul Bunyan, Brer Rabbit, Casey Jones JR, and John Henry.

I can name a few others who need one too.
Molly Pitcher.
Clara Barton.
"Dirty" Dan Harris.
Samuel Brannan.
Rip Van Winkle.
>>
>>77327371

There's a more modern version of that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnnHprUGKF0

>>77328152
Like Anansi, he continued on as an oral tradition for slaves and a lot of white children were raised by servants with the story.

>>77328218
Ringo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyuq-ofnPc
>>
File: 1426125389646.jpg (58 KB, 450x373) Image search: [Google]
1426125389646.jpg
58 KB, 450x373
My gf actually suggested we watch this because she liked it so much, was pretty good. Watching the clock short film right now since I didn't finish the whole anthology after we watched it.
>>
Yep, it rains every time I watch this.
Just manly rain.
>>
>>77314867
I think we watched it in school unless that was a different John Henry cartoon.
>>
>>77314867
They put it on VHS twice, and DVD once I believe.
>>
>>77328305
This would make good inspiration for a short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joo90ZWrUkU
>>
>>77328152
It was recorded by people transcribing african american folk stories on plantations in the south
So thats why we have that iteration
>>
>>77323219
American folklore is really close to Greek mythology interestingly enough.

A lot of tragic heroes, a lot of very clever individuals outwitting authority, spirits, and the devil.

All taking place at the edge of civilization, although story to story the wilderness is the only place where happiness can be found or the source of evil and mischief.
>>
Anyone got a link to it?
>>
File: windwagonsmith.png (1 MB, 932x768) Image search: [Google]
windwagonsmith.png
1 MB, 932x768
>>77328218
Windwagon Smith is on Netflix in one of Disney's collections.

And Disney made a short of Pecos Bill, and one of the Hatfields and McCoys, and the Casey at the Bat short. I think those were in My Melodies or something.

I think they also made a short for Captain Stormalong, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>77328305
>>77328462
Makes sense
>>
>>77322743
It's based off old Black folk tales ala Joel Chandler Harris in Atl and it's very respectful. People freaked out because they thought it showed slavery as a positive, but it takes place during reconstruction.

It also does a great job at sort of showing white/black relations in the south. It's a good movie smeared by overreaction.
>>
File: the-little-matchgirl.jpg (59 KB, 856x482) Image search: [Google]
the-little-matchgirl.jpg
59 KB, 856x482
Did you cry?

I fucking couldn't stop crying holy shit

Thank god that goofy superbowl short came on right after this massive downer
>>
File: LittleMatchGirl.jpg (169 KB, 554x600) Image search: [Google]
LittleMatchGirl.jpg
169 KB, 554x600
>>77329130
Nah, I had a storybook as a little kid with the real fairy tales. Shit broke my tiny six year old heart.

Also, despite the tragic as fuck Little Mermaid story it was the first depiction of naked female breasts I remember finding interesting.

Also, in the original story her father beats the shit out of her to the point of almost dying every time she doesn't sell all her matches which is why she didn't go home.
>>
>>77327848
God that is really pretty

and without eyepro too!
>>
>>77329130
The goofy how-to short was fucking GOAT
>>
>>77329021
>It's a good movie
woah now
>>
>>77329245
That image is the same damn storybook I had as a kid too, only it was just a little book of the matchstick girl. I think my mom especially liked that one.
>>
>>77321891
>>77322067
I waited so many years to see Lorenzo and it did not disappoint. Probably my favorite of the four shorts made for the unfinished Fantasia '06.
>>
>>77322220
REMEMBER BIG HENRY
>>
>>77328778
Melody Time
>>
>>77329130
I'd seen it before, a couple times. I didn't think it would get to me on a third watch. I sobbed like a bitch
>>
>>77314867
Watched it in elementary school, nice movie
>>
>>77314867
Seen it a few times. Had it downloaded and saved for rewatching occasionally. All around excellent short film. Agree there is pretty much 0% racism in there.

It serves as a good example of a type of role a real man can be. (Not the only role, but it is one.)
>>
>>77314867
Holy shit I actually owned that on VHS.

It came in a bundle with a few other animations (Johnny Appleseed was another one).

I loved the shit out of it as a kid.
>>
>>77321877

You are a really sad person if you think life is worth anything when not lived properly.
>>
>>77322743
what was so racist about this movie?
>>
>>77327274
You gonna share it?
>>
This cartoon is so fucking good.
Gorgeous animation, a 10/10 song, and an epic clash between an all-American superman and a faceless machine.

Seriously one of my favorite short films of all time.
>>
>>77314867

Fucking love the John Henry tale. Never got to see the Disney interp of it. Ill have to track it down.
>>
>>77332415
Whenever the Disney anthology comes on, I usually turn it off after John Henry. The rest of the shorts just don't compare.
>>
>>77315730
The story's not about "uh oh we're gonna be out of a job".
They were building the railroad because they were promised land, but the dude with the steam hammer wanted to screw them out of it (he even literally burns their contract).

If he'd showed up and was all "hey, you guys can have your land, but this is what's gonna be doing your job now", they'd have been perfectly fine with that.

It's a tale about the strength of the human spirit, how one man can move mountains if he gives it his all and fights for what is right.
>>
>>77332458
Here's the first 10 minutes of it. All that gets cut off is a ~1 minute epilogue
http://www.teachertube.com/video/john-henry-part-1-of-2-117456
>>
>>77332345
it fully embodied the 'magical negro' cliche, where a cheerful, tamed darkie selflessly uses his vague mystic powers to service his pure of heart white masters, rather than service his own needs.

It's one of those things where how blatantly widespread it was was worse than any individual example.
>>
>>77319629
Bittersweet.
He won the contest and secured his fellow workers the land they'd been promised.
But he gave his life in the process.

Honestly kinda reminds me of the death of Barry Allen.
>>
>>77319854
She kissed him and broke his focus, it was a cute little couple moment.
>>
>>77332526
i've never heard of the magical negro cliche, i guess they really stopped doing it for the last 3 generations
>>
i saw it in school in like 5th grade
>>
>>77328358
Which one is this?
>>
>>77327848
>It appears John won
>Everyone cheers
>The hammer just starts plowing through the mountain
>All seems lost
>Everyone is silent, John is on his knees
>Polly hands him a second hammer
>He busts the fuck through the mountain
>Everyone goes insane
>Music picks the fuck up
>Hammer strikes are so hard and fast that the steel is glowing hot

This shit gets me so fucking pumped, it's one of the best action climaxes I've ever seen in an animated film.
>>
>>77331073
Lorenzo was going to be in Fantasia 3? I didn't know that.

The more I learn about it, the more confused I am that they didn't just make Fantasia 3. Just slap 2 or 3 more shorts they already have in there, throw in the 4 shorts they ultimately made anyway, or 5 if they use Clair de Lune, and hold it together with a quick frame and boom, you have a movie.
>>
>>77314867
Was it rare? I remember seeing that in my elementary school once
>>
>>77333128
On the one hand, I agree. But on the other, I think they only have like 30 min. worth of content with what they already produced.

Still, what the fuck, they should just do it anyway. Just make the rest CG, I don't give a shit.
>>
>>77332570
There was a lot of outpouring of sympathy towards the Confederacy in the north there never was before in the early 1900's, which is basically what made the Klan relevant.

So suddenly there was a lot of interest in seeing plantations in film. To go along with that, the "magical negro" film.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro

I know TVTropes can be shit, but it's also a good reference at times too as long as you don't take it too seriously. This is a good time for that.
>>
I seriously wish I could find a rip of the songs from the John Henry short, that shit'd make for the absolute best gym music ever.
>>
>>77332615
Johnny Appleseed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=484AJlOnOnc

Prepare to have your heart broken.
>>
>>77333292
If you can find it on youtube, I can give you a link that lets you download an mp3 of a video from there.
>>
>>77332570
Hah. Are you kidding? It's still very present. You probably never noticed it before because it's so widely present.

Think hard. Haven't you ever noticed that when a character needs sage advice, wisdom, or a fairy godmother, it often seems to come from an old black person? And how that person just kind of naturally seems to know about mystical arts and it seems to make sense because, hey, they're ethnic so of course.

Characters like the black guy from The Shining or the oracle lady from The Matrix. Even a /co/ example could be Rafiki, who by far had the most african mannerisms of the Lion King cast despite them all being animals.
>>
>>77333128
Eisner was more interested in chasing the Dreamworks audience.
>>
File: what the fuck.jpg (107 KB, 720x390) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.jpg
107 KB, 720x390
>>
>>77333292
>tfw was actually doing pull ups to it this morning
Glad I'm not the only one
>>
>>77333523
>it often seems to come from an old black person?

Is it Morgan Freeman's fault his voice is so mesmerizing?
>>
>>77333666
gib link pls
>>
>>77333666
Screw your dubs and your double trips. THIS is the only exercise song you need
https://youtu.be/Fqta4jyAs4k
>>
>>77329130
I love how Death wanders into the end of this story in Hogfather and brings the girl back to life because what better gift than a life?
>>
>>77333671
I had to fight real hard not to use Morgan Freeman as an example because at this point he's so typecast it feels like the magical Morgan Freeman cliche rather than the magical negro.
>>
>>77333733
We got woken up with this at field training for the air force
It was fucking amazing
>>
>>77333671
Listen to that sweet molasses.
>>
>>77333671
Another feature of the Magical Negro is they receive no character development and only exist to progress the story by solving problems or giving advice.

So if Morgan Freeman is the main character, he isn't the Magical Negro.
>>
>>77314867
Music was great, but then they don't release the fucking OST. Also vaguely remember seeing it on a VHS my grandma had.
>>
>>77333840
nice
>>
>>77328218
Davie Crockett
Sally Ann Thunderanne Whirlwind Crockett
Paul Bunyan and his blue ox Babe
There is a metric fuck ton of Americana and that's why I love being an American.
>>
>>77334174
Davy Crockett had a live-action television series, and Paul Bunyan had his own movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJ9gNkuxFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtjUt1MtFlY
>>
>>77314867
I saw it on TV a long time ago. Maybe it was a VHS,I dunno, I was a kid at the time.
>>
>>77333328
Honest to god, only version of the short I can find is one where it's chopped into a dozen 40 second clips, sometimes cut in the middle of a song.

Disney is damn good with keeping their shit off YouTube.
>>
>>77327371
There's a based as shit DC hero modeled after him
That's not too bad
>>
>>77315558
Star Trek and Asimov were 50 years ago, Terminator is literally about the machines beating mankind again and again with no hope whatever of victory because they just travel back in time and try again, and automated car production is both faster and less problematic than human assembly lines. I mean, in case you weren't aware - Detroit is fucked, man. Robots literally won that one. If you were going to draw Detroit-tan, you'd have to draw her being double-fucked by Outsourcing-tan and Robot-tan.

>>77322969
Of course they lost, they weren't rich to begin with. They were dealing with people who think bootstrapping their way to success started with a million-dollar loan from daddy.
>>
File: baggervance.jpg (33 KB, 322x475) Image search: [Google]
baggervance.jpg
33 KB, 322x475
>>77332570
>I guess they stopped doing it for the last three generations

Not in the least. People are barely aware of it in this one.
>>
File: Hearts_of_Steel_1a.jpg (100 KB, 450x683) Image search: [Google]
Hearts_of_Steel_1a.jpg
100 KB, 450x683
>>
File: angry kitty.png (141 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
angry kitty.png
141 KB, 500x281
I hate the saccharine politically correct bullshit Disney spews where every folk tale has to be made into some black history month Chicago public school Obama faggot-ass white guilt trip.
>>
>>77333523
i mean i understand the super smart black best friend cliche, and serious black leader of a bunch of white people cliche.
but never much of actual magical black people
i see the magical Asian (Orientals and Indians included) cliche a lot more often
>>
>>77314867
its so well done even without the linework.
gave me chills
>>
>>77334000
Is Yoda a Magical Negro?
>>
>>77334831
What the fuck are you even trying to say? Are you mad that John Henry is black?
>>
I remember seeing it when I was younger and enjoyed it a lot. I loved the song and thought the guy was a badass. I hope it still holds up.
>>
>>77334831
>Not watching the short
It's made super clear that it's not only black people building the railroads.
There's only one clear antagonist and you don't ever see his face. It's safe to assume that he'd be white, but it's clear to anyone above the age of six that he's more a metaphor for injustice than an actual dude.
>>
>>77314867
Only available in the US
>>
>>77322052
>I remember watching this in like second/third/fourth grade or something

Stop making me feel old.
>>
>>77329130
I told my fiancee, "See, in a Fantasia movie this wouldn't be so bad because they'd have Goofy capering arpund afterwards."
Then the Gopfy short came on.
>>
>>77334174
Disney did Paul Bunyan.
>>
>>77332490
Thank you. Honestly it's not a complex story and it's shocking how many people boil it down to 'machines bad'
>>
>>77315730
Shut up, autist
>>
>>77330120

I've always liked it.
>>
>>77335774
No because he's not black, but yes in every other aspect. It's a pretty stupid thing to be offended by however because it's clearly an attempt at some type of diversity but since the black guy is TOO good and since he's not the main character it's STILL racist.

Things like this and the 'man with boobs' trope are one very good reason the white males in entertainment are only writing white males. Because between tropes with their autisty joke names and the bechdel test there is no way for a white male to write anything else.
>>
I remember seeing this online a year or so ago. I thought it was nice, though I had no idea it was some kind of rare film.
>>
>>77336835
At the end of the day most writers write what sells. Eating is considered more important than making a statement to most people.
>>
File: 1407474192561.jpg (19 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1407474192561.jpg
19 KB, 225x225
I remember seeing this a long ass time ago, but I don't think I saw it in a theater in 2000. I was pretty young then so it is possible. I can't for the life of me think of where and when I saw this. Anybody else remember seeing this before it was on Netflix?
>>
>>77322469
>>77322528
>>77322627
>>77323046
What you guys see is the result of the use of the Xerox company machines at Disney Studios.

Way back then Xerox wasn't as big or as notable as they are today. Not only could they copy paper to paper, they could copy from paper onto celluloid. You see, the animators had been aware of this technology for some time and did bring this up to Walt directly. Walt didn't like the concept and said he liked the slick look that the inkers did.

The animators were against inking on an artistic and efficiency level though. They eventually started using Xerox without Walt being really aware or approving it. At that time Walt was occupied more with theme parks and such. This did result in Walt getting pissed about the use to save money animating the pups in 101 Dalmatians. In which a lot of other animators agreed with that sentiment in it being a lazy thing to do.

As a result the animators were taking direct pencil drawings (they got good enough to draw clean enough to go straight to Xeroxing) and Xeroxing them to be coloured. That is why now and then you'll see a construction line if you look for it. You'll also get a bit of rough and gruff but it adds a life of its own.

Inking that was done before was a direct trace of the animators work. Which as a result loses a bit of that animators touch and is noticeable in the creative sense. Inking in this way also added an extra cost too. However it comes down to personal taste for the audience.

Milt Kahl talks about it in a recording while the Rescuers was in the works and in the interview here: http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interviews/Kahl/Kahl.html

You can find the recording here: http://animationpodcast.com/archives/2006/02/25/milt-kahl-side-one/

http://animationpodcast.com/archives/2006/03/03/milt-kahl-side-two/

He talks about a bunch of other things besides the Xerox. If you have an hour to spend and really enjoy the technical know how and discussion of animation give it a listen.
>>
It's really bad that the great animation was put away by its own studio just customers the main character was brown and the execs at Disney were racist
>>
>>77339436
I think it's mkre Disney just had no real venue for distributing animated material that wasn't a feature or a show.
>>
>>77336914
You think people won't go see a movie just cus the main character is black

That's just wrong
>>
>>77332414

I thought this thread died

Here you go

https://mega.nz/#!m8FVjSoQ

>>77327848

It's just a loop of this small segment since it was hype as fuck.
>>
>>77339577

>Need decryption key

!wgMi0VkPJvEeFhLzZlQBxXfPXktyAEgLdwaj829S9UU
>>
>>77339474
Na they pointed it out themselves by calling it racist

There just projecting there own thoughts on the movie, instead of saying they're racist they call the movie racist
>>
File: Minnie Mouse.png (494 KB, 714x562) Image search: [Google]
Minnie Mouse.png
494 KB, 714x562
>>77339577

Maybe I should add the Polly portion.

A slow build up to the hype.
>>
>>77334831
What the fuck are you talking about?

John Henry has always been a black guy and there's nothing close to "white guilt" about the short.
>>
File: FTFY.jpg (134 KB, 713x713) Image search: [Google]
FTFY.jpg
134 KB, 713x713
>>77333523
>Haven't you ever noticed that when a character needs sage advice, wisdom, or a fairy godmother, it often seems to come from Morgan Freeman?
>>
I'm seeing people mention Casey Jones in this thread. Could someone explain to me what that is please? Until now only place I ever heard the name was TMNT which is all google is giving me.
>>
File: Mavis.png (164 KB, 484x550) Image search: [Google]
Mavis.png
164 KB, 484x550
>>77334831

/v/, plz go
>>
>>77340399

An engineer who YOLOed to the very end

Read up on him on wikipedia or some shit. It's a great story.
>>
>>77332465
Skip John Henry then go back to it once the last one is over.
>>
>>77334617
>Terminator is literally about the machines beating mankind again and again with no hope whatever of victory because they just travel back in time and try again

I haven't seen the newest one but Skynet usually only sends a Terminator back in time when they lose. Now how many of the Terminators sent back in time have actually succeeded in their mission?
>>
>>77336594
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_%28folklore%29

Yeah, it's pretty shocking considering how the motivations of the real life person were literally just 'machines bad.'
>>
>>77315339
bro, it only gets more relevant. just look at the success of automated checkouts in grocery stores
>>
File: NeatGK.png (425 KB, 584x329) Image search: [Google]
NeatGK.png
425 KB, 584x329
>>77334831
>DEYTERKERJERRRRRBBBS!!
>>
>>77340785
Which, from the working class perspective that was the fuel for the creation of all of these stories, is a pretty big deal considering the danger of getting your profession/livelyhood taken away from you. Losing your job is pretty big fucking deal, especially a the time
>>
File: 059.jpg (119 KB, 500x618) Image search: [Google]
059.jpg
119 KB, 500x618
>>77340399
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbTBk4pDIHA

Enjoy. Please come back and tell us what you thought of it afterwards.
>>
>>77338530
They also used the Xerox method to pseudo-rotoscope vehicles, photographing an actual model of Cruella de Vil's car with high contrast outlines. Quite similar to later uses of cel-shaded CG, like Great Mouse Detective's clock tower scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqMmmeb1Zg
>>
File: John Henry Fucking Irons.gif (828 KB, 485x282) Image search: [Google]
John Henry Fucking Irons.gif
828 KB, 485x282
>>
File: carlton_comp.jpg (6 KB, 206x200) Image search: [Google]
carlton_comp.jpg
6 KB, 206x200
>>77342505
>crazy woman driver
>>
File: 1339731313309.jpg (128 KB, 700x560) Image search: [Google]
1339731313309.jpg
128 KB, 700x560
>Casey Jones is a real person that died on his final journey
>Survives in the Disney adaption
>John Henry is a real person that survived his contest against the steam drill
>Dies in the Disney adaption

Yeah, I know it's based off the ballad and not the actual contest
>>
File: seriosulybro.jpg (13 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
seriosulybro.jpg
13 KB, 512x384
>>77327259
>He died when his heart exploded from overexerting himself. That's how the story goes.

Im not really even sure what moral Im supposed to walk away from this story with.

Okay it was great that he could out do the machine and prove that human workers are still worth using. But he also kind of proved how death prone we all are. I mean are you really outdoing the machine if you die? The machine breaks down no big woop but a human dies and well you';re basically fucked.
>>
>>77342505

huh. for some reason I remember her dying
>>
>>77342627

The ballad isn't so much about John beating the machine, but what he was fighting for

In the context of that very moment, everyone was going to get fucked over and lose what they were promised. John stood up for everyone and beat the machine for everyone's sake. If he didn't, they'd lose their contract without a chance to even get it back.

I'm not sure why people can't seem to understand that part. It's like you're all taking stupid pills or something.
>>
>>77342234
That was a really enjoyable short.
>>
File: 1404360557663.gif (1 MB, 360x189) Image search: [Google]
1404360557663.gif
1 MB, 360x189
>>77327848
>>77339577

>Have this blastin' while leaving this webm looping in the background

Comfy as fuck
>>
>>77342946
>"comfy" memeing

Speak English you fucking nigger.
>>
>>77327848
ORANGE AND BLUE
>>
>>77342706
They're too eager to sound smart on the internet and thus, ironically, aren't thinking.
>>
>>77339523
>That's just wrong

I guess the whole recent Star Wars controversy was just a dream then.
>>
>>77334617
>Terminator is literally about the machines beating mankind again and again with no hope whatever of victory because they just travel back in time and try again

Have you even watched a single Terminator film? They sent Terminators back in time as a last ditch effort when the war was already lost.
>>
I remember when John Henry went to fight aliens for President Lincoln, but no one cared about it because it wasn't a visual-novel with an included waifu-groping simulator.
>>
>>77340824
I used feel sorry for cashiers loosing their jobs to machines, but then i remembered every time a cashier charged me for someone else's items, gave the wrong change, almost destroyed my groceries, put an electronic device, or a CD over A FUCKING MAGNET, and wouldn't admit making a mistake, without visit from a manager. Fuck those fags.
>>
>>77340824
Assistant store manager here of a Lowes.
I tell you what, the self check out machines don't call out on the weekends or when ever they want to because they don't feel like coming to work like my shitty cashiers. I can't wait until I have robots doing the jobs of my associates in the sales floor. Then shit would get done right.
One day a robot will take my job, but what ever, I'll deal.
>>
>>77345332
>CD over a magnet
You do know how CDs work right?
>>
>>77342706
But with him dead, aren't they gonna lose their contract anyway?

I mean, it's a good story, but a tragedy rather than a victory.
>>
>>77325173
Well after the formation of the emancipation proclamation there's not much justification for lamentation on his plantation situation.
>>
>>77345734

Did you not pay a God damn attention? The contest was so that the contract would be kept intact and everyone would remain on the job. That was the entire point of the contest. The steam drill also broke down during the contest. In the Disney adaption, it blew the fuck up. John was a strong motherfucker but he didn't dig the tunnel all by himself. It was a group effort. John was the God damn MVP.

In the actual contest, that John actually won and lived, the steam drill couldn't keep up as it was prone to issues.

It's like you're picking at these for the sake of doing it. It's not a complicated tale. The stakes are made very clear.
>>
>>77346095
>The contest was so that the contract would be kept intact and everyone would remain on the job.
They ignored the contract the first time.
>>
File: 1433475406670.jpg (17 KB, 220x180) Image search: [Google]
1433475406670.jpg
17 KB, 220x180
>all these arguments about the accuracy of the various depictions of John Henry

its a tall tale people
>>
Fuck, I remember this. Christ I was so fucking young. He was competing against a machine, right? And then he died at the end and helped his friends.

How the fuck do I remember this? I was like five.
>>
>>77340399
The thing is, the real story is more interesting than the Disney short. He sacrificed himself to prevent any injuries to the passengers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Jones#Death
>>
>>77314867
>It's sort of a lost Disney animated short that only got shown to the public six times at one theater in 2000.

No it wasn't. It was attached to Emperor's New Groove. I saw it all 3 times I went to see ENG in theaters.
>>
>>77346760
I'll believe it.

I clearly remember seeing it in theaters
>>
>>77321831
She cute though
>tfw when you'll never be a black qt who gets John Henry's bbh every night.
>>
Goddamn, John Henry is handsome as fuck.
>>
One thing confuses me. If John Henry was born and raised a slave, how was his mother able to provide him a shit ton of food?
>>
>>77347930
That was just part of his tall tale. In reality, John Henry was most likely a large black man who was able to encourage railroad workers to finish their track. Did he go against a machine? Maybe, there is nothing really disputing it.
>>
>>77347978
>Did he go against a machine? Maybe

There was research done and found that there was a John William Henry who worked on the Big Ben tunnel and that a competition did take place based on verified eyewitnesses account. John did win the contest.

So there was a John, there was a steam drill and there was a contest that John won and most importantly, lived.

Everything else is a tall tale.
>>
>>77348342
Supposedly, he got sick shortly there after and died. It's more poetic if he died directly because of the contest
>>
>>77314867
>ywn see John Henry wield Mjolnir
>>
>>77318600
He did a lot more than you did.

>>77319629
>>77319875
>>77319944
>>77322895
>>77332534
Also depends on which version of the tale you go with.

The Disney one showed John might have been dead but the machine was in flaming wreckage. The version I originally read, the machine was still stuck half-way through the mountain.

Plus, the Disney version seemed to make it less about Man's victory over the machine, and more just John trying to make sure his friends and family got to keep their own land as part of the deal.
>>
>>77346313
That's what makes a story good: it sticks with you no matter what. Sort of funny how these tall tales can hold into our minds and hearts when we forget everything else in favor of the old search words.

It's a true testament of a good storyteller that it can still hold in the memory of today's short-memory'd populous.

>>77349003
I dunno, more dramatic, maybe. But poetic?

I'm not sure.

Guess the "death by sickness" would ruin his whole "Black Captain America level of peak /fit/ness"
>>
>>77314867
HOL UP
>>
>>77316999
Stay away from 101 Dalmatians then.
>>
>>77323376
>incredibly misguided
>"muh problematic"
the film was actually incredibly progressive. Walt personally fought to have the actor that played Remus to be allowed to attended the red carpet event but they were ultimately forbidden.

It is a very important film that but african american culture into white households. It looks obtuse and awkward now, but the refusal to accept this as a forward thinking piece of childrens entertainment is ridiculous. It obviously shouldnt be shown to children in this day and age, but for us to sweep it under the rug and not acknowledge its place in history.. you'd think it was birth of a nation for fucks sake.
>>
>>77349560
>african american culture into white households

That's actually a good point
That's like why Al Joleson was so highly regarded by black people when he was famous despite performing in blackface. He was known for bringing black music/jazz into popular circles and was a huge proponent for civil rights
Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.