[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone go into detail the differences between Pre-Thanos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 119
File: star-lord-2.jpg (890 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
star-lord-2.jpg
890 KB, 1680x1050
Can someone go into detail the differences between Pre-Thanos Imperative Peter Quill, and Marvel Now Peter Quill?

I'm trying to explain to a friend why current Peter is shit, but I can't elaborate without memeing with OOGA OOGA CHAKA.
>>
https://richridernova.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/the-sad-saga-of-star-lordhow-marvel-has-turned-a-solid-concept-into-a-mess-of-diluted-characterization/
>>
>>81427347
>richridernova
Eugh
>>
>>81427148
Old Star Lord is a morally ambiguous antihero pushed into conflicts he has no hope to help resolving but tries to do it anyway at whatever the cost (has no qualms about letting allies or by-standers die to get shit done). Humour is to deflect this stance he has. Also a skilled and experienced leader in combat and expert in alien tech.

New Star Lord is a chill dudebro who cracks jokes and cares about friendship, love and his people a lot. Its unclear his level of expertise in tech or combat but he seems to get by. Seems younger and without the emotional baggage of having so many deaths on him.
>>
File: Really.webm (362 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Really.webm
362 KB, 1280x720
>>81427148
>Can't argue his own points without using memes
>>
he was a "get the job done" type. more of a paragon then a renegade (sorry looking at post imperative costumes made me think of that game) . he belived in fighting the good fight because he was a seaonded who was good at it and he was the only one who would bother. yes he gathered a band of misfits but he was more the dad of the team rather than the cool older brother. his humor and banter came from a more jaded place but he was far from humorless.

I loved the movie and I think /co/ seems to have a short attention span because that was the general consensus at the time. but it wasn't muh starlord. I didn't mind it but when the comics tried to copy Gunn's style much like recent marvel movies just felt flat
>>
>>81428064
>morally ambiguous antihero
he took a dark turn but I would never call him that he was a soldier. He cared a lot about his team but knew protecting the universe came first
>>
>>81428175
It's more that I haven't enough of the current Guardians to formulate a good counter argument.
>>
>>81428366
The fact that he brainwashed almost everyone into being on the team pushes him into morally ambiguous.
>>
>>81427148
Star Lord used to be a lot more grounded. He wasn't out for glory, he wasn't in it for the adrenaline, he wanted to protect the galaxy and try to avoid dying at the same time. He was also continually getting his ass beat, because he was the only base human on the team.
>>
>>81427429
I guess you prefer the retarded dead son
>>
>>81428427
There's not really a lot there to criticize. Everything happens way to slowly.
>>
>>81428558
was that before or after realm of kings?
>>
>>81428558
I hope something like this happens with Mantis in GotG Vol 2.
>>
Also worth nothing that DnA GotG was a powerhouse. Gamora and Drax could fuck anything up. With Groot proving the timely deus ex machina.

Bendis' Gamora and Drax are barely superhuman
>>
>>81428688
Most of the stuff you can criticize really applies to most Bendis books.
>incredibly slow pacing
>nonsensical plots
>repetitive dialogue
The real kicker is the Original Sin tie in.
>>
File: latest-1.jpg (118 KB, 423x599) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.jpg
118 KB, 423x599
I miss Abnett/Lanning-Lord so much, /co/.
>>
>>
File: 1459305320388.jpg (912 KB, 1280x1990) Image search: [Google]
1459305320388.jpg
912 KB, 1280x1990
>>81428839
And on that note: Rocket was actually more fun than the other Rocket.
>>
>>
>>
One was a cynical war veteran. The other is an idiot who never went to High School
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429134
>He specifically calls himself a raccoon here
>Bendis has Rocket insist that he's not a raccoon
Is it really that hard for Bendis to read a comic written by another person?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429114
i like how this even had both this excellent ,grounded team space adventure miniseries and goth edgelord Wraith

did this proto GotG ever interact with him?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81428175
To be fair,I think he's trying not to.
>>
>>
>>81429223
You should read his Original Sin tie-in. It's fucking heinous
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429515
The worst part is that he blamed fans reaction to his shitty comic on the guy who wrote Thanos Imperative in the first place.
>>
>>81429333
I know he traveled with Ronan in the main book for Conquest. I wanna say he was there with everyone else for the final battle with Ultron, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81427148

>Anon is sitting on the couch watching some television when the doorbell rings.
>It's his friend, Chad. And he's holding the latest issue of Guardians of the Galaxy with Star-Lord on the cover.
>Anon forces a smile, welcoming Chad into his home.
>"Hey, Anon, I tried out reading some Guardians of the Galaxy like you said. It was pretty good. Stoked for the next movie."
>Anon shivers slightly, causing Chad to raise an eyebrow.
>"Something wrong, man?"
>Anon forces out his response.
>"...not the good one..."
>Chad didn't seem to hear it.
>"What's that?"
> Anon blurts it out one more time.
>"That's not the good Guardians of the Galaxy!"
>Chad looks at him with confusion.
>"Huh? I thought it was good, man. I really liked how they wrote Star-Lord."
>Anon seems bolstered by the emotion welling up in him
>"St-Star-Lord isn't even good in that. He's w-way better Pre-Thanos Imperative."
>Chad folds his arms, skeptical that anything could be better than Bendis.
>"Oh yeah, what's so great about him?"
>Anon is completely red. He's trembling uncontrollably as he struggles to hold it in. Chad takes a step back, clearly concerned. Before he can say anything, however, it comes out.
>"OOGA CHAKA OOGA OOGA OOGA CHAKA OOGA OOGA"
>The shockwave sends Chad flying into a wall as anon rips away his clothes to reveal a banana costume.
>The house begins to crumble around them as Chad tries to push against the sheer force of Anon's meme.
>"OOGA CHAKA OOGA OOGA OOGA CHAKA OOGA OOGA!"
>Chad's skin is blown away. He is young again. A baby wearing only diapers. He's scared and confused. Anon only offers dancing as an answer.
>"I CAN'T STOP THIS FEELING!"
>Chad is dancing now -- he is a dancing baby and no one is more confused than him.
>"ANON, STOP, PLEASE!"
>Anon stops only to smile. With dead eyes he looks up at Chad and whispers:
>"Just like Kevin Bacon."
>Chad explodes into particles. The only thing that remains is his comic sat in the smouldering hole where he once was.
>>
>>81428839
Starlin Gamora took down an entire X-Men team, took fown She-Hulk and was the best fighter in the Marvel Universe.

Annihilation era Gamora almost killed Ronan.

DnA Gamora took down Cancerverse Valkyrie, took down almost anyone that got in her way (except Magus but that guy is crazy overpowered), she survived being burned by a sun.

Bendis Gamora jobs all the time, she gets taken down by any Accuser and spends most of her time crying or unconscious.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429722
I want Gabe and the Shi'ar to fugg.
It's a pity what happens to both of them
>>
>>
>>81429676
That's nothing.
Annihilation Nova stood near the center of an explosion that spanned across 3 solar systems and didn't have a scratch on him
Bendis Nova got his arm chopped off by Cancerverse Captain America's shield.
>>
>>
>>
Did you guys watch the newest GotG cartoon episode? I just saw a preview for it and it had Ship/Aurora but she's an evil bitch who hates Peter's mom and is in love with J'Son.

It was awful.

>>81429135
Hell yessss
>>
>>
>>
>>81429810
I don't think anyone on /co/ watches that
>>
OG GOTG Star Lord was Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry as a Star Wars character.

That's the comparison I use when I discuss why pre-Movie Star Lord is the best Star Wars.
>>
>>81429171
And named himself after a vacuum cleaner.

Yes Star-Lord went from a title given by the Master of the Sun to a family title to a fucking vacuum cleaner brand.
>>
>>81429722

I forgot there was a time Groot actually said more than "I am Groot."
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429847
I didn't even know there was a GotG cartoon.

I really did enjoy the movie, but I knew this shit would happen as soon as it got popular. I knew...
>>
>>
File: blank2.png (34 KB, 959x707) Image search: [Google]
blank2.png
34 KB, 959x707
>>81429810
I pay attention to the ratings
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429824
I kinda wish we got a random Annihilation trooper on the squad too.
>>
>>81429790
Bendis makes everyone but his pet characters job badly, like he will have the other characters get knocked out and have his favs save the day.

He did it recently in his GotG run and he did it in Spider-Man.

I just want Bendis to leave GotG, it looks like Humphries will fuck off to DC and I dread the fact that someone worse will replace him.
>>
>>81429911
Good, fuck that cartoon, I only catch clips here and there and it looks awful.

Hopefully it gets canceled.
>>
>>
>>
>>81429920
Oh Star-Lord will we ever see you again?

Seriously I'll even take an out of continuity story with him, hell even a fan comic I just want new content with good Peter and his crew and Rich.
>>
>>81430028
>Ronin's password is Accuser
Really Ronin? That's like having Rocket's password be "Raccoon".
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429134
>specifically
>even
Thats not how it works.

Specifically is taken literally
Even means an inclusion

You cant have both in the same sentence.
Did you mean "specifically designed to take down strongtians. Even you"
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429663
get help anon anon
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81430175
maybe the space raccoon didnt go to high school
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81428716
It was one of the key plotpoints at the beginning of the entire series.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81429911
>52

The hypercrisis is yadda yadda yadda.
>>
>>
>>81428064
What's some good reading for old Star Lord?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>81430596
The last couple arcs in the Thanos series. Annihilation Saga. And the previous (pre Bendis) GotG
>>
>>
>>
>>81430712
Conquest too, but most of what he does there is in this storytime

Cancerverse is fine as well.
>>
The end thanks for reading
>>
>>81430734
ty anon, good read
>>
File: rascalraccoon.jpg (158 KB, 392x439) Image search: [Google]
rascalraccoon.jpg
158 KB, 392x439
>>81427347
>Noticeably younger, if anything the new Star Lord came off more like a hipster version of Val Kilmer from Real Genius
>>
>>81429663
Is this what autism looks like?
>>
>>81429810
The one or two good episodes of the show gave me hope...hope I now see misplaced...
>>
>>81430870
what episodes?
>>
To be fair, they did the same to Thanos.

Under Giffen, Thanos was developed into no longer caring for petty grudges or battles.

He mostly was bored and did whatever was interesting at the time, be it save the universe from a crazy beyonder or help Annhilus

Then they erased all that and made him into the old "MUHAHAHAHA" villiain for Infinity War.
>>
>>81430712
There were only two arcs in Thanos.
>>
>>81430927
I liked the ones with the Nova traitor and the Black Order. I guess good was too strong a word. Not as painful as the other episodes may be more apt.
>>
>>81430974
Uh, i thought the Beyonder prison thing and the one with the galactus herald were 2 separate arcs

If they are one, then just the last one.
>>
>>81430956
>Under Giffen
That was Starlin. Thanos hadn't really been a villain since Gauntlet if you were going by his stories.
>>
>>81429522
So do you think Ronan intentionally tried to find the two Avengers he stuck on the team or what?
>>
so how we save the guardians /co/?
>>
>>81431085
They're dead, fred. DnA era and Classic. Unless the property tanks HARD in the near future.
>>
>>81431085
There is no saving them. Unless Bendis wants off, which is very unlikely, they'll be like this forever.
I just wish we could have Richard back.
>>
>>81429861
I think most everyone did.

It's easy enough to No-Prize it as post Conquest Groot actually being a different Groot, Son of Groot, Groot, if it's a big enough problem, though.
>>
>>81431290
>>81431197
well a least we can hope for the sequel to be good
any whislist?
>>
>>81430100
Ronan isn't much for subtlety.

Him having a tremendously obvious password fits.
>>
>>81431368
>>81431368

Hopefully we get to see the Blacked Order, some Celestials how they attempt to warn earth about whats coming only to find out the superhumans who have at least a chance to help are in some petty conflict of their own
>>
>>81431298
Wasn't the explanation given that his vocal chords hardened over or some such thing?
>>
>>81431368
The movie might still be decent, but Marvel/Disney's handling of the property pretty much guarantees that anything else done will be lowest common denominator drivel. Weren't there rumors of them planning to scrap an old Disneyland attraction in order to retool it into a GoTG themed one? Or was that an April Fools joke?
>>
>>81431682
They reconfigured the PotC ride to have the movie characters. That might be what you're thinking of.
>>
>>81430870
For me it was the pilot episodes but after that it went downhill.

I mean the head of Marvel Animation and the GotG show is Wacker who is also the editor for the current Marvel cosmic comics, so now you know why this cartoon was eventually going to be shit.

The fact that they introduced the Bendis elements and made two of the three most important people in OG Peter's life into evil assholes is just fucking bad.

Also after having so much content and other stuff at their disposal even without using the F4 related characters, Marvel Cosmic is rich with characters and stories but the cartoon limits itself to movie elements and chooses the worst things to draw from, hell it even has them fighting the most boring characters imaginable or Avengers villains.

Also Peter Quill's VA is the guy who voiced Terry Mcginnis but holy shit whoever is directing needs to get shot, because he makes his voice all high pitch and it's so fucking grating, seriously why does Marvel Entertainment make Peter into the most idiotic manchild? Not even Gunn or Pratt make their version of Peter Quill like that.
>>
>>81431969
>Also Peter Quill's VA is the guy who voiced Terry Mcginnis but holy shit whoever is directing needs to get shot, because he makes his voice all high pitch and it's so fucking grating

Ah yes, the Ron Stoppable effect.
>>
>>81431969
>Not even Gunn

Gunn is actually a good director and Pratt is a well rounded actor, that he has comedic chops helps a lot for the type of role Gunn had for him.
>>
I was so excited about Marvel Cosmic 'going big'. The GotG showed up in EMH, Nova and Rocket were in MvC3, clearly these characters were getting a push leading up to the GotG movie.

And then Avengers Assemble #1 happened.
>>
>>81431290
If Rich ever comes back I hooe he stays far away from the GOTG as possible.

Sam can hang out with him, Sam is cool, too bad they won't let him fucking find his father which pisses me off because Duggan had put closure to that and the new writer pretty much made things go back to square one.

Too bad DC snatched Tom King, I would have loved to read a Marvel Cosmic title from him, and Rich would have been perfect.

>>81431522
No Black Order pls, Hickman's OCs are bland as fuck.

Going by Mantis being in the movie, Star-Lord's God daddy (who might be MCU's version of Starhawk), what little I could read from Vin Diesel's script when he waved it around on that one video he made, Matthew McConaughey being sought out, I am guessing we will have the GotG going against the Universal Church of truth and Magus.

I would like to see that story adapted, and yeah see the Celestials as well, have more cosmic shit included.
>>
I miss Gabe Vargas.
>>
>>81432157
The worst thing about it was that Bendis didn’t want to write GotG, he said he has to be persuaded into it and that he supposedly read old Star-Lord comics and that was what changed hia mind.

And his early comics while bad weren't as bad as what they are right now, Peter got progressively dumber, especially after the movie came out and Rocket got more violent, Groot is probably the only character Bendis knows how to handle, Gamora and Drax remain as non entities though.

And the comic got even worse now with the addition if Ben and Kitty because it now became apparent that Bendis wants to write Ben Grimm and Kitty in space more than he wants to do GotG.

At this year's Wondercon Bendis was asked about what he was planning to do with the GotG comic and he talked about adding a love interest for Ben Grimm, talked about introducing a teenage alien OC, and them yammered on about Kitty.

That's it, nothing about the actual Guardians, like fuck just give him his own Ben Grimm and Kitty Jews in space comic and let someone who actually wants to write the GotG write it.
>>
>>81432403
I mostly would like the BO/Thanos as an excuse for them to head to earth
>>
>>81432673
>adding a love interest for Ben Grimm, talked about introducing a teenage alien OC, and them yammered on about Kitty.

Given how Ben Grimm is now his self insert and Kitty is his waifu4ever, i fear the worst
>>
>>81432673

yeah I just couldn't afford to care anymore. I think Bendis' GotG was the last straw, I just quit the big 2 altogether.

Maybe someday their popularity will fade and we'll get someone who respects the Giffen/DnA stuff.
>>
Kieron Gilllen or Ewing on GOTG when
>>
>>81428064
Soo your problem is the character is more fun now?
>>
>>81432673
>write a comic explicitly about team of cosmic d-listers
>gets popular
>shove in as many a-list characters as possible, constantly visit Earth

I really, really hate Marvel.

>>81432874
Not him, and this isn't a perfect metaphor, but imagine if they took Wolverine and made him Deadpool.
>>
>>81432925
...soo like how they made wolverine into the funny dad just recently when he ran Xavier's school as the Dean?
>>
>>81432734
>Bendis is famous for making his characters speak in Yiddish slang
>Ben Grimm's dialogue is peppered with Jewish slang
>Bendis can't even write him correctly
Seriously, Ben's the easiest character in the world to write dialogue for, and he still fucks it up.
>>
>waypool lasted for four years
>bendis is supposedly supposed to be on Guardians for four years

Will it happen, /co/?
>>
>>81432874
It's not more fun at all.

Marvel comics aren't Peanuts strips.

>>81432946
Which was pretty terrible both in itself and its consequences. You had him concurrently being funny dad AND ruthless killed in X Force.

Didn't help that series was just terribly decompressed and went nowhere for 15 issues.
>>
>>81432403
>Too bad DC snatched Tom King
But he's still doing Vision, right?
>>
>>81433241
Up until issue 12

Then its over unless Bendis wants to take over.
>>
Occasionally reminder that :

Giffen's Star-Lord > DnA's Star-Lord
>>
>>81431969
>>81432084
Man, I fucking love the guy as an actor but he's so typecasted. He voiced Deadpool in that shitty Ultimate Spider-man episode. He's so...wrong. He's a funny person and actor, but the shit they must give him is worthless.
>>
>>81432946
And that was a dumb direction to take the character.
>>
>>81427148
It's really simple. Gunn's Star-Lord is a reworking of Quill's origins and is spiritually the same character, perhaps a little less jaded. Bendis took Gunn's script, flipped through it, and copied down the most superficial elements.

It's like that Spanish lady who thought she could fix that fresco of Jesus and made that ugly mockery instead.
>>
>>81430175
Actually that makes sense.
Gladiator is specially chosen because he is the strongest Strontian.

So what Rocket is saying "this was specifically designed to take out [members of a strong race of aliens], even you [acknowledged to be the strongest member of said race]."
>>
>>81433651
>Gladiator is specially chosen because he is the strongest Strontian.

only strontian, tbqh
>>
>>81433598
Also I remember reading somewhere something about how Bendis got a hold of early GotG scripts, because he was part of the movie consultant committee thing, and used (stole) the script's ideas for his own book. I don't know how true is that though.
>>
>>81433671
I remember there was a Strontian girl in War of Kings.
>>
>>81433807
Yup, evil bald Supergirl.
>>
>>81433783
The whole Bug situation is usually seen as evidence of that. An early draft involved Bug, so Bendis included the character in the Avengers Assemble arc. When Bug was dropped from the script, Bug was dropped from the comic as well.
>>
>>81434142
Does marvel not have the movie rights to Bug due to microverse fuckery?
>>
>>81434188
Yes. It seems they're with Hasbro. At least we're getting Mantis in the next movie and maybe, only maybe space lesbians
>>
>>81434212
>only maybe space lesbians

bald lady and phylla?

in context as related to drax and capt marvel ?
>>
>>81434464
Yeah, it would be a good chance to link both movies.

>inb4 they make phyla a 10-years old and heather stays dead
>>
>>81434188
This is exactly what happened. Gunn really wanted Bug.
>>
>>81432683
They won't go to Earth in the GotG movies at least not until Gunn leaves, also Gunn doesn’t want to deal with Thanos stuff sonce Avengers got dibs on that.

Probably in Infinity Wars though if the Guardians apppear there.
>>
>>81432734
Apparently Peter/Kitty was Humphriea' idea according to Bendis and they will be broken up in the future and Humphries might be going DC exclusive.

Yeeeaah Ben/Kitty? Unless Bendis makes Kitty/Bendis looking Alien OC
>>
>>81432874
More like he is immature and hella retarded now.

Old Star-Lord was fun, he had his sense of humor even if it was more sardonic and sarcastic so tou don't know WTF you're talking about.
>>
>>81434692
Infinity War has a lot of potential.

>Rocket and Frank frankin' aliens' shit up
>>
>>81434851
He's Cancerverse Quill, and there's nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise.
>>
Is Hiro cancerverse's moot?
>>
>>81434913
What is Franklin fucked up and made the cancerverse into the new 616 ?
>>
File: 1397361634712.jpg (354 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1397361634712.jpg
354 KB, 800x800
>>81432874
Not him. That full concealing helmet with uniform is everything I want in character. Knowing that my dream character actually exist and now gone really sadden me.
>>
>>81432874
Old Peter was fun, but in a sardonic, I-don't-get-paid-enough-for-this way.
>>
>>81433198
He finished his initial 4 years already and he's still on the comic, honestly he will go on until he gets tired of it or wants to go back to Avengers.

Bendis loves to fan his ego, he left the X-Men because they weren't going to be a hit property anymore and he's sticking with GotG because the movie is hot and he's getting readers because of it who BTW most are already getting frustrated by the Kitty Pryde show. Remember he initially didn’t want GotG and probably stayed once he heard it was going to be a movie.

He also supposedly consulted for the movie since he brought that up a lot on his tumblr when the movie was released, even posted his name being on the GotG movie credits on his tumblr.

I guess he will stay on GotG until their popularity goes down or when they stop making GotG movies.
>>
>>81435025
How did they even survived? Did they got free stuff in Knowhere or something?
>>
>>81434869
Punisher is not going to be involved in IW in any way
>>
>>81427148

DnA version is a broken man who lost his best friend and spaceship going after a villain who outclassed him, and his lack of judgement led to the destruction of an entire inhabited planet. He's a reluctant hero, without much faith in his own abilities, who was only a leader because he was forced into the position. A man who used the telepathic abilities of one of his teammates to make them friends, and have them work together as a team, because he had so little faith in his own team skills.

Contrast this to the Bendis movie version, who is a glory hound money chaser, who barely grasps the notion of responsibility, rather than the DnA version who almost buckles under his own sense of duty.
>>
>>81435059
You'll feel like a moron after based Punisher stands along with all the other Marvel heroes, Avengers 1 style, right before the final battle.
>>
>>81433310
How come?
>>
>>81435092
if that happens then I will
>>
>>81435126
Giffen Starlord had given up and was broken taking a backseat on conflicts as long as he could get away with it

DnA Starlord was in the process of building himself (Star Lord) back up again

Its a matter of preference.
>>
>>81429663
Hello, Bendis.
>>
>>81433783
He read a draft for the GotG movie, that much we know and we know that because he bragged about it in his tumblr.

>>81434142
Good thing Feige seperated Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios then because Bendis won't be able to do that shit anymore, and I guess he also gave up trying to match the movie and just decided to write Kitty and friends in space the comic.

>>81434982
I believe it, most of the Marvel titles right now are cancer.
>>
>>81435061
Reminder that they made Ship into a villain in the new GotG cartoon.
>>
>>81429210
God why are Kree always such perfect waifus
>>
File: 1377452404393.jpg (45 KB, 515x495) Image search: [Google]
1377452404393.jpg
45 KB, 515x495
>>81427148
>I'm too stupid to explain my own opinion
>I hate things without understanding why
>>
>>81430747
You welcome anon. Glad
>>
>>81434188
>>81434212
>>81434691
That makes no sense though. Marvel created Bug themselves so logically they should own him. Kind of like the opposite of Rom: Spaceknight.
>>
File: starlord.jpg (121 KB, 869x428) Image search: [Google]
starlord.jpg
121 KB, 869x428
Old Star-Lord was a war veteran with a dry sense of humour, leadership skills and a dedication to getting the job done. He was a character that had legitimate character development/arcs and had changed over his history through the events that happened to him. He was still fun and humourous, but in a more sarcastic and dry way.

New Star-Lord is a poorly written Han Solo wannabe that doesn't come off as charismatic and effortless like the movie version, but rather comes off as awkward and annoying.
>>
>>81439168
/co/ in general. We just parrot what the hivemind says and then pretend that its our own opinion. /co/ is literally incapable of forming their own opinion on things.
>>
>>81443286

>thread full of opinions
>/co/ cant form its opinion because the thread is too large to read
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 236x296) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 236x296
I've said it before but I guess I'll say it all again.

>>81428274
You have to remember the movie has to represent two different kinds of Star-Lord. People forget that he was also radically different before Giffen got his hands on him.

Due to the nature o the story and its place in the timeline, Movie Quill takes parts of Englehart/Claremont (mom issues and swashbuckling adventure) and mixes them with DnA Quill, (most notably his humorous facade and guilt complex.) Combine that with the weird n whacky Farscape-esque Gunn style (Look it up, it was an influence) and it has the appearance of being new, yet is familiar to the discerning Quill fan. Gunn also left plenty of room for him to grow into the experienced leader he becomes in the comics.

The problem is the current writers don't have the depth of understanding that Gunn has and only copy the superficial aspects of the character.

This, in turn, causes fans who have only read the DnA and Giffen comics to believe that the movie version is nothing like the old character or worse is somehow based on Bendis' version.
>>
>>81434464
I say this as someone who's read all of Genis's major appearances and EVERYTHING Phyla's ever been in.

Is there a reason they can't just be Mar's natural children in the MCU, save his age (and they could probably age him up to sell the "experienced Cosmic Hero" enough to believable have older teen/young adult kids)? I mean, their mother using comic super science to knock herself up with the kids of her dead lover never actually turns out as fucked up as it should be.
>>
>>81440534
Yeah, it's weird. It's true though. Maybe he is somehow seen as the same character as "galactic warrior"? Maybe they got Marvel to sell them Bug before a GotG movie was planned, and Marvel sold him because it was easy money for a z-list character that they were never going to use? I have no idea.
>>
>>81444373

Probably the only reason is that he never mentioned having kids at all. But that can be retconned. And sudden aging syndrome is common these days. Ahura looks like 17-19 now (but there is time travel fuckery to explain it), however Auran's daughters aged 10 years in 2 issues.
>>
>>81444347
>Gunn also left plenty of room for him to grow into the experienced leader he becomes in the comics.

Fucking THIS. Movie Quill was at the beginning of his career, which is a horrible model to adapt to comics for a character who has been around for so long.
>>
>>81444347
>the movie version is nothing like the old character

The movie version never had to live through Annihilation. It would be stupid for them to behave the exact same anyways.
>>
>>81444544
And the shallow copycat effect just causes the pale comic imitation to come off as a regression with nowhere to go rather than a new beginning like the movie.

Yep, I've thought all of this out considerably. Pete's been my favorite character for awhile now. Half a decade ago I could pride myself on owning every single appearance of the character, and all of them were quality to some degree to boot! I was perfectly happy with his end in Thanos Imperative but the prospect of more, and on a bigger scale, still had me excited.

Now I only have the movies to look forward to as the comics grow more bloated and vacuous. Definitely not what I hoped for. The sad thing is I remember when we all believed that the movie would carry over and right all the wrongs Bendis made in the comics. How mistaken we were.
>>
>>81444659
Right, Gunn wisely decided to draw beyond just the DnA run because that run is so dependent on everything that happened before it. I mean shit, this used to be a regular point of contention about the book, that it leaned too heavily on events and had too many meanderin plot lines! You can't start a movie series like that, so you can't keep it 100% accurate anyway. It would have been a disaster even if it satisfied us readers.
>>
Im fine with move Quill because that's literally a different char on an alt universe. And it has room to grow.

Bendis Quill is a soft reboot on one of the best chars in the MU done entirely for movie synergy (money) reasons. This is why its shit.

Unless, like some other anon said, this is really cancerverse Quill and Bendis is a genious.
>>
>>81445053
I don't know much, but I do know that Bendis is most definitely not a genius.
>>
File: 1435174338521.jpg (239 KB, 464x638) Image search: [Google]
1435174338521.jpg
239 KB, 464x638
>>81444659
>tfw Phase 4 is Annihilation
>>
>>81445523
the N-Zone and Annihilus are tied into the FF ip
>>
>>81445523
Never happening.
>>
>>81444347
You pretty much nailed it there, I have no problems with MCU Star-Lord because he is pretty much a combo of every previous Star-Lord in the comics and he's just starting out his career as an actual Guardian. The first movie was him and the other characters making the transition from Outlaws to heroes.

Of course Bendis, Humphries, and Wacker focus, like you said, on the superficial parts on Star-Lord, that he likes 80's music, that he's immature, that he's a scoundrel and an outlaw.

The worst part to me is that in addition to that they also make him a huge idiot and a major liar, Peter Quill in the movie did lie to enemies to save his bacon but I he was pretty straight forward to that girl in his ship whom he had a one night stand with yet in the cartoon he's a shameless womanizer who lies to all of the women he's been with (and he dates every funny alien looking woman, including Supergiant from the black order).

He's also an idiot in the cartoon to the point the characters comment on how much of an idiot he is, and in the comics he's also an idiot and characters acknowledge it and in Humphries' Star-Lord comic he is said to be an engineering genius and a good pilot yet Peter makes "I'm not good at math" and "Math is hard" comments, can't spell simple words like "sorry" oh and he named himself Star-Lord after a vacuum cleaner brand.

MCU Peter was never an idiot even if he was immature, the fact that he manages to manipulate the conflicting Rocket, Gamora, and Drax to stay in the group by adhering to their interests until they deliver the orb and then afterwards gives them a rallying speech to go and stick it up to Ronan, those are qualities of a smart man and a group leader.
>>
>>81440534
Bug can still be used in the Marvel comics though as long as they don't associate him with the Micronauts, he appeared recently in an issue of GotG.

Rom they can't use anymore but Marvel owns the SpaceKnight stuff and the whole Dire Wraiths story so the can use that.
>>
>>81445523
They would have to fricking retool a lot of things since the F4 own Annihilus and the Negative Zone.

Also I don't think Gunn would go for an Annihilation adaptation despite the fact that he did want to use Annihilus, that said he said he's not sure if he will come back for GotG 3 so who knows what will happen when that movie comes out.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 402x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 402x520
>>81446899
It's insane. It's like watching a horrible never-ending tailspin and there's nothing you can do about it, and nobody sees it but us. I rationalize it by looking at Englehart-DnA as one complete story for the character and try to ignore the other stuff. At this point, if I were ever to do something with Starlord I'd probably give him a noble end and bring back Sinjin Quarrel to finally claim the mantle. Or, go with /co/'s old idea of Cammi taking up the mantle and starting a new team of Guardians.

Hang in there my mugga /co/smic.
>>
>>81447655
>Or, go with /co/'s old idea of Cammi taking up the mantle and starting a new team of Guardians.

cammi is a lot more likely to become a villain than a hero
>>
>>81447768
What can I say? It was a simpler time.
>>
I know plenty of people here complain about Peter Quill now being a dudebro full of jokes but so far in the ANAD volume I haven't seen him crack a single joke. He was quite depressed in issue six actually.
>>
>>81447768
what do you mean anon? we havent seen her since annihilation when she hung out with drax.
>>
>>81448370
She was in Avengers Arena

which was both bad an depressing
>>
>>81429177

That is literally the most retarded plan ever
>>
>>81449261
Hey, he didn't say it was a good plan.
>>
Is the Bendis GotG worth reading?
>>
>>81449612
Not really. You're better off reading the good comics. Even Bendis admitted he didn't want GOTG, and it consistently shows if you ask me.
>>
>>81428716
Before
>>
File: RIP star lord.png (2 MB, 968x959) Image search: [Google]
RIP star lord.png
2 MB, 968x959
>>81427148
Starlord then
>>
File: 1458662300910.jpg (233 KB, 909x1400) Image search: [Google]
1458662300910.jpg
233 KB, 909x1400
>>81450102

Meme lord now
>>
>>81448453
i have no idea what youre talking about

and its weird how they just stopped using mettle in books. he was even a meme and now hes just gone?
>>
>>81450165
meme magic wont work anon

not anymore
>>
>>81429223

Because he was upset about it in the movie and Bendis is aping Gunn's script.
>>
>>81450165

The last I've heard about Mettle was that he was just surfing around the world, one huge wave after another.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 119

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.