[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Super Hero Girls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
I guess we should talk about this.

DC just announced a line that seems to be Ami-Comi without the anime and for a younger age group

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/22/wb-and-dc-entertainment-in-partnership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls

The most relevant part

>The initial launch of DC Super Hero Girls in Fall 2015 will include an immersive digital experience, original digital content and digital publishing—providing opportunities for girls to interact with characters, learn about the storylines, and engage in customizable play. TV specials, made-for-videos, toys, apparel, books and other product categories will begin to rollout in 2016.

I'd guess the specials will be like the Lego Batman movies.

Thoughts?
>>
>Super Hero
>Harley & Ivy
What's the deal?
>>
>>71501812
It's cool I guess, though I hope that's not official art. Looks like crummy educational art.
>>
>Hey kids, idolize these murdering villains!
>>
>>71501812
Where are the superhero comics for boys?
>>
>>71501945
>the year of our lord two thousand and fifteen
>thinking that women can be depicted as anything other than pure and virtuous do gooders who do no wrong ever
>>
>>71501945
$$$$

>>71502046
That's why I said it's like Ami-Comi. There were no male heroes/villains there either.
>>
>warner bros imitating disney look
>>
Do all these girl power shit from the big 2 lately actually sell?
>>
>>71501812
That is a very adorable Katana
>>
>>71502046
Those are being steadily phased out.
>>
Disney princess as fuck. And wait, is that Poison Ivy?

And the black girl. She's from teen titans I guess?

This looks a little rescuebotsish, like it's aiming for the 7 year old crowd.

I probably will give ZERO fucks about the show and books.

On the plus side, I can't WAIT for the fucking pron of all this shit.
>>
Are Harley and/or Ivy even popular enough with little girls to warrant a hero shift? I thought only dudes and twenty-somethings with daddy issues were into them.
>>
>>71501812
Is DC trying to garner the attention of the MARVEL audience?
>>
>>71501812
oh wow.. this looks like a fucking train wreck.. and yet parts of it are very appealing.
>>
>>71502143
No one remembers Bumble Bee DC first black woman super hero
>>
Why no female Green Lantern?
>>
Will Babs ever not look like an idiot playing dress up
>>
My first thought upon seeing this is fuck Katana, she doesn't belong on that team. Then I wonder why Ivy is among the good guys.

Then I start wondering why Batgirl isn't wearing a cowel. I guess because little girls like to see hair flying around. I learned that from Precure.

Then I realize that out of all these weird alternate kiddy-fied costumes, Supergirl's is actually superior to her current regular comics look
>>
>>71502105
They're businesses. They wouldn't keep doing it more and more if they didn't. Thor is one of Marvel's most successful books. The only Marvel books outselling it are the Star Wars books, Amazing Spider-man, and Spider-gwen (another girl power book). Silk is also selling extremely high, and Ms. Marvel is doing unheard of numbers digitally, only being outsold digitally by digital firsts like Injustice and Mortal Kombat.

Batgirl has been a huge success for DC.
>>
>>71502143
It's Bumblebee. I'm glad they finally figured out a way to get away from the stupid afro puffs, no one wears their hair like that anymore.
>>
>>71502262
That's her new lot in life.
>>
Well this doesn't seem substantial at all, wish Faust got to do her Best Friends thing.
>>
>>71502224
of course nobody does. Its not like DC even use her

Katana and her are only there so it not only white women
>>
>>71502092
>>71502143
>disney

Glad I'm not the only one noticing the freakishly Disney rip off designs. Shouldn't Disney be suing their asses?

I mean DC is fucking with Disney Princess' demographic and the House of Mouse doesn't take kindly to their turf being invaded.
>>
>>71502046

they've been published religiously every month for 100 years.
>>
>>71502266
I don't like the wristbands and random shirt collar that doesn't match the sleeves but it's a nice Supergirl look.
>>
>>71502272
Ms Marvel wasn't even Marvel's top seller on comixology (#2) or the Marvel App (#6) last week so those digital numbers must be dropping
>>
lol they didn't even try to make the characters unique, it's like they took a Disney princess template and slapped superhero costumes on them.

the team itself is bonkers, I wonder how long it took DC to decide between Vixen and Bumblebee.
>>
>>71501945
>>71502038
>>71502092
>>71502143
>>71502211
>>71502217
>>71502262
>>71502314
>/co/ already hates it
>this anon doesn't feel surprised at all
>>
File: encyclo_illustre_1349878289.jpg (114 KB, 314x730) Image search: [Google]
encyclo_illustre_1349878289.jpg
114 KB, 314x730
Where is Dinah ??
>>
>>71502346
neither of those are as stupid as those fucked up knee-exposing boots that look like they're from a bad 50s scifi movie
>>
>>71502314
DC princesses is obvious. And I am ok with that.
>>
>>71502372

>/co/ hates stupid pandering shit

shock and awe

>>71502385

She and Zatana got bumped to make room for Harley and Ivy
>>
>>71501812
Excited because it'll hopefully shut up some sjw's about DC
>>
>>71502272
But that's because most Comic Book fans are male blue pill manginas who love Feminist propaganda. To these chumps they would love nothing but to have their testicles sacrificed on the altar of Feminism.

That's why this kind of liberal propaganda shit sells so much. Most men are beta losers.
>>
File: 1416853898155.jpg (91 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1416853898155.jpg
91 KB, 1920x1080
>>71501812
>that obvious Disney style
It's funny because Diana always had a bit of a Disney Princess vibe.
>>
>>71502372
I don't think saying it looks like Disney is hating it.
>>
>>71502418
>>71502423
Feeling discriminated, male anon?

>>71502439
With all these company wars threads we're having lately, it's not hard to suspect any negative post about DC.
>>
>>71502067
Comics are slowly falling to the Tumblr crowd.

It's hard to support my favorite companies when their output is increasingly expoitative.
>>
>>71501812

>Harley and Ivy
>super hero girls

rogues at best, those costumes look pretty terrible tbh
>>
>>71502418
That sucks
>>
>>71502455
>Feeling discriminated, male anon?

No. Im in favor of a girl team actually. Id just prefer it not to be shit.

This is idiotic, executive made girl pandering nonsense that's insulting to any girl that actually wants to read comics.

>Girls only like pink and disney and pretty things

that's what this is.
>>
>More Harley & Ivy content
Yessss , this is what I like.
>>
>>71502354
Yeah the "Ms. Marvel selling better in digital than physical" info is probably pretty dated at this point. I imagine now that trades are coming out, a lot of the people that were getting it digitally might have switched over to trade waiting. Her first trade was the highest selling trade the month it came out. If memory serves at least, I remember the top three being Saga, Ms. Marvel and East of West but I don't remember the order. Think it was Ms. Marvel -> Saga -> EoW.
>>
>>71502427
...ehh no way. But DC knows that you need to rip off the Disney Princess formula to get twats to open their purses. It has worked wonders for Hasbro with MLP FiM.
>>
File: laughing Popcorn_girls317101.jpg (29 KB, 400x290) Image search: [Google]
laughing Popcorn_girls317101.jpg
29 KB, 400x290
>>71502534
>he likes to read books for little girls
I think I know what your problem is, anon.
>>
>>71502479
>>71502534
I think it's actually better to make a separate thing like this for a different demographic than to change the comics in an attempt to lure them in (especially since that never works). I don't see how this is bad at all.

If they want normal comics they can buy them. But this is specifically so that normal comics are not forced to change.
>>
>>71502534
>insulting to any girl that actually wants to read comics
Shut up, tumblr. Instead of this, why aren't you asking Disney to fire Whedon for dressing Scarlet Witch as a slut?
>>
>>71502418
/co/ loves pandering shit. Shit that panders to /co/.
>>
>>71502479
Where have you been? MOST entertainment media (books, videogames, films, etc) are politically correct shit. So of course they have Feminist propaganda in one way or another.
>>
>>71502616
>But this is specifically so that normal comics are not forced to change.

Except they're ALSO forcing normal comics to change. Anything aimed at men is evil and sexist and needs to be made more inclusive, but if you want to pander to women it's a-ok.
>>
>>71502419
No, it's only enabling them by pandering.

I mean, look at the "strong independent functional gurl power costumes! XD" Everybody has a high collar. Harley even has to wear leggings under her shorts. It's prudish and and censoring their sexuality.

If we don't stop it here, pretty soon, all comics are going to look like this.
>>
>>71502631
Because having Wanda dress like that is impowering
>>
You fags always said that DC needed an All-Ages line, now you got it but you don't want it? Make up your mind
>>
>>71502616
But those comics have changed. That there even needs to be something like this with Marvel and DC superheroes and not that girls can read girl titles and young boys can read Batman everyt month it all became for the adult superfan crowd. These characters where made for ten year olds to begin with.
>>
>>71502699
Nobody cares about what /co/ wants.
>>
>>71501812
>Brownder Woman

Sweet Jesus, this is hilarious. They even race-swapped Wonder Woman for a more PC race to fill some quota.
>>
>>71501812
Where's Power Ring DC's only Latina superheroine if you're going to pander you gotta pander right. Missing a key demo, come on corporate you're better that this.
>>
>>71502699
All-Ages books are for all ages and people regardless of gender, race, color or creed
>>
>>71502673
>>71502724
Not at DC. Batgirl is the only book that has gone along those lines. Black Canary went back to her "sexualized' costume even.

If you have complaints with Marvel then go make a separate thread but don't bring them here.
>>
>>71502673
>Help! I'm being oppressed!
>>
>>71502752
But this is perfect for that, It'll be like Ame-Comic. Theres literally nothing wrong with this
>>
>>71502753
thank god
>>
>>71502753
>Not at DC

For now. They've already started bending over for the feelings police and it won't be long before they decide to do what Marvel's been doing.

>>71502762
>DONT YOU SHITLORD PISSBABIES KNOW ITS OKAY WHEN WE DO IT!
>>
>>71502738
>They even race-swapped Wonder Woman for a more PC race to fill some quota.
Nigga you blind?
>>
>>71502638
How much do you think it would take to restore ethicical comic book publishing and stop the pandering?

I mean, maybe we can fight fire with fire. Tumblr gets comics pulled all the time. Maybe we can start a Twitter campaign to end this.

But maybe we pretend to be SJWs who are offended that they are "othering" girls by giving them a girly line. They're more likely to pull it if they think the feminists want it pulled than if they think fans do.
>>
>>71502631
>Shut up, tumblr

>waaaaaaaaah the tumblr bogey man is out to get me and my shitty not good books
>>
>>71502427
kawaii...
>>
>>71502673
Case in point, the bullshit aimed at videogames. Fact is that "male" oriented videogames still need to contend with gyncentric/feminist propaganda like the ever unrealistic Competent Warrior Woman who is loyal, honorable, and such for her male allies. What a sack of horse shit.

And men are addicted to that unrealistic fantasy like a junkie whether it's presented in videogames, books, movies, etc. If you write women realistically I assure you that most men would not be able to take it and would KILL themselves. And no I'm not talking about a "bitchy" woman type deal. I mean how women truly are IRL. Most men cannot accept that women don't love the male sex collectively.
>>
>>71502808
DC never does anything like Marvel. They are basically anti-hype.

Look how long Birds of Prey ran and they never had to announce it on The View like Marvel tried to do with their new female team book. They are ridiculous.
>>
>>71502480
Work release program. Suicide Squad-like.
>>
>>71502801
I tried to specifically mention Ami-Comi to point out that that DC did something like this before without anyone complaining but apparently it didn't work and this is turning into the usual shitstorm about nothing.
>>
>>71502675
>It's prudish and and censoring their sexuality.
anon it's a thing for little girls
>>
it looks fucking putrid.
>>
You guys bitching about how this is aimed at the Tumblr crowd realize this is probably aimed at a younger audience?

Feels almost like a direct response to that 11 year old who sent in a letter complaining.
>>
>>71502738
Wonder Girl has a slightly darker skin tone in Super Best Friends Forever too. It's supposed to make them look more Greek.
>>
I don't know what it is but Supergirl looks off
>>
>>71502831
SJW/Feminism/Political correctness/etc all of this is too entrenched in society. Do you know when it will come to close? When the United States goes bankrupt. The only time this kind of bullshit ever arises is when a country is affluent.

During harsh times there is no money to waste on bullshit. The economy of the US must crash and burn so that this is all washed away and hopefully men learn their lesson....but hey humans are dumb and will repeat this cycle over and over again til extinction.
>>
>>71502914
>You guys bitching about how this is aimed at the Tumblr crowd realize this is probably aimed at a younger audience?

Who will then grow up to be the tumblr crowd.
>>
>>71502836
fuck off, tumblr.
>>
>>71502806
Isn't this still being written by the DCucks behind Batgirl?

Putting Canary back in her proper costume that shows her femininity was likely just to pull fans back in. The story will probably still pander to Tumblr. I bet they'll even bait-and-switch the costume by issue 4.
>>
File: Supergirl_8th_Grade.jpg (143 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Supergirl_8th_Grade.jpg
143 KB, 800x600
Looks like bad Disney art but meh.
>>
>>71502914
It literally says ages 6-12. They are just complaining because it's for girls even though the comics that will come out are not even going through Diamond. Which in itself is probably worth discussing.
>>
>>71502675
The sexuality of characters that are supposed to be early teens at best? I don't think this is censoring since you cannot possibly know how these designs looked in the early stages during the production process.

But it's even in line with other girls toylines like Monster High. Notice the that there is no cleavage and the characters tend to have tights more often than not. Also, the Monster High dolls need stands. Without heels they will probably be easier to stand up.
>>
>>71502946
But tumblr hates things like this and the Disney Princesses. The girls who will buy these are normal ones not tumblr.
>>
>>71502046
Are you fucking for real?
>>
>>71502970
Tumblr likes Canary's fishnets though

Even Gail Simone loves them
>>
>>71502979
Monster High characters dress like whores.
>>
>>71502979
>the monster high dolls need stands

I agree, more things could use some Jojo influence.
>>
>>71502975

Yeah, I just had a look myself and saw that it says that.

Makes you wonder why /co/ is even discussing this, it's like if they were reviewing the superhero toys given away with Happy Meals.
>>
>>71502158
Harley and Ivy are popular enough.
>>
>>71502910
>Sex is bad! We shouldn't expose children to it!

This is why girls are growing up hating men and accusing them of harassment, rather than understanding how social relations and courting work between men and women.
>>
>no ice and fire

FUCK THIS
>>
>>71503010
>But tumblr hates things like this and the Disney Princesses.

tumblr loves anything that panders to women and has enough racial minorities in it. They only hate Disney because SIIGHHHHHHH THEY'RE SO WHITE.
>>
>wahhh stop aiming comics at children
>>
>>71503010
Except that girls who grow up with the mentality of Disney Princess complexes are who their mothers turned out to be and they are very much messed up. To say that media doesn't deliver propaganda to condition the mind is a lie.

I mean look at how many commercials pander to women because companies know women are the ones with the most disposable cash and are easy to get them to spend.
>>
>>71503050
I made the thread because the rollout seems relevant. They're going to have animated movies and shit apparently and the publishing aspect is interesting. We all did love a thing like >>71502974 so even kid-targeted stuff didn't seem that weird to make a thread about.
>>
>>71503059
No, it's more that it's a PR nightmare DC/Warner would rather avoid by having characters with sexy-ish costumes in their show for little kids. Nothing is worth dealing with soccer mom complaints.
>>
>>71503086
There is an Asian, a black one, and everyone else is white. This it Disney Princess exactly.
>>
>>71501812
That asian character with sword and rising sun flag in prominent place in costume is a terrible design by any standard, but even more so if this is supposed to be for kids.

Hundreds of thousands of women were raped or turned into slave prostitutes under that flag....and many of the "most honorable" rapists were carrying samurai swords, which are weapons of serious violence, so the character won't be able to use it anyway.

That design is lazy, willfully ignorant, and stereotyping to the point of racism.
>>
>>71503110
Tumblr says basically the same things you said but uses words like "patriarchy"
>>
>>71503010
>tumblr hates things like disney princesses
You've never actually been on tumblr, have you? Or is tumblr just the new buzz/code word for scary feminists in muh mature and adult graphic novels?
>>
File: Katana_Vol_1_7_Textless.jpg (551 KB, 1500x2308) Image search: [Google]
Katana_Vol_1_7_Textless.jpg
551 KB, 1500x2308
>>71503213
>>
>>71503111

Yeah, fair enough, I'm seeing it's been announced on a couple comic sites like it's a big mainstream thing too.

Would be nice for regular comic readers to be able to easily get some stuff for their daughters/nieces/little sisters to read, I think it's a good move from DC.
>>
>>71503221
Except when tumblr says it it's meaningless because the people producing the propaganda are the people who support and enable them.
>>
>>71503213
>>71503213

Add in a line about it appropriating Nippons and congrats you've gone full Tumblr.

And her fucking name is Katana, she's supposed to have one.
>>
>>71503296
Spoiler alert: Everything you've said is just as empty and vapid as the shit they spew.
>>
>>71503230
They definitely hate gendered toys in general. You can't deny that.
>>
>>71503213
And the US Flag that Captain America wears as a uniform was flown during the Trail of Tears and US Slavery.

Symbols change throughout time.
>>
I wonder if it was an intentional choice that Katana is not using the blade in her swing but the dull edge.
>>
>>71503230
Do you not see them flipping shit over there being no fat princesses and Disney "whitewashing" characters in Frozen and Big Hero 6?
>>
>>71503528
Obviously they're taking inspiration from Ruroni Kenshin. An interesting choice for a children's show but we'll see how that works out.
>>
>>71503528
I doubt it because parents will just think sword = bloody violence in general without looking too hard and marketing people have to know that.
>>
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/590989901962694656

Johns says there's more characters coming.
>>
>>71503843
Wondering why no Vixen or Hawkgirl
>>
>>71503843
Good needs more mera and Dinah.
>>
>>71503843
As always, based Johns. This makes a lot more sense, I'd totally be down for a Brave and the Bold style show for little girls.
>>
>>71503843

>Mera

Are they gonna tackle the major social issue that is minorities murdering infants?
>>
>>71503486
>And the US Flag that Captain America wears as a uniform was flown during the Trail of Tears and US Slavery.

Which is just one of the reasons why I hate Captain America. Comics are no place for open nationalism.

I have no problem at all with Superman fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American way.

That fig leaf is the difference between normal, acceptable patriotism and nationalism.
>>
>>71503977

Sounds like this fag hates America
>>
File: 1283894300479.jpg (137 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
1283894300479.jpg
137 KB, 500x330
>>71502281
>I'm glad they finally figured out a way to get away from the stupid afro puffs
>not wanting her to go rough and tough with her afro puffs
>>
File: Purge the Cancer .jpg (163 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Purge the Cancer .jpg
163 KB, 600x900
>>
>>71503843
I wonder if they're going to use a female GL (Power Ring? Jade?) or do a more cutesy Star Sapphire
>>
>>71504341
Arisia or Carol would seem most likely to me
>>
>>71504326
Who is the semen demon bottom left?
>>
>>71504380
Ms. Muslim
>>
>>71504326
This is missing hundreds of people. At this point, it'd be more efficient to make an "Anti-SJW approved creators in comics" list.
>>
>>71504409
She seems cool.
>>
>>71502752
>>71502801
While I don't oppose an all ages line, and many of us don't, I think it's worth remembering that comic book writers are awful. So when they go "Let's write a book to appeal to women", they go fully hamfisted "don''t mansplain to me" smug mary sue that's the best at everything forever. And if that's your jam, that's fine, go ahead and get down on it.

But "All Ages" doesn't mean talking down to kids. I know I hated being talked down to as a kid; I can't imagine that will have changed much. Everyone deserves good stories but effort to appeal seems to trump effort to write something good WAY too often in cape books for its own good. And that's why people are worried..

But whatever. Let's just say "you're sexist" and continue patting the corporate entity on the back.
>>
>>71501812
Aside from Wondy and babsgirl, I think these all look pretty okay. And wonderwoman's costume is only a problem because of those fucking epaulettes.
>>
>>71504576
I don't think we know much about the creative teams yet to guess whether the books and animated stuff will be decent. The biggest chunk of this release is the Mattel involvement. Of course the company that makes Barbie is going to make a big deal about another girls line.
>>
File: spider-gwen-e1429119143756.jpg (174 KB, 630x963) Image search: [Google]
spider-gwen-e1429119143756.jpg
174 KB, 630x963
>>71504452
I guess we have based Cho, Campbell, and Finch, people who draw women with actual femininity and emphasize the important parts of them rather than putting them in "functional" jackets and making them look like little boys or something.
>>
>>71504692
Campbell is the SJWest. Even is a girl now
>>
>>71504576
>hamfisted "don''t mansplain to me" smug mary sue that's the best at everything forever.

Not really, you just read shitty comcis. That's on you, buddy, but good stuff is out there.
>>
You guys are so hilariously predictable.
>>
>>71504576
You don't read comics.

You talk about writers in general, but it is clear that random page is the ony thing you've read.
>>
>>71504576
why do you read shitty comics?

Honest question.

I just don't understand why would you read a comic where "they go fully hamfisted "don''t mansplain to me" smug mary sue that's the best at everything forever" when there is so much better stuff out there.

But let me speculate, you haven't read that wondy comic, you haven't read any other All Age comic, but you frequent /co/, so you think that's enough to judge "comic book wirters" and call them shit.
>>
I would say at least 90% of the comics industry is an SJW according to /co/'s narrow and retarded specifications.
>>
>>71501812
I don't understand why everyone's hating on the Disney princess aesthetic when this stuff is fucking targeted at the "girls aged 6-12" demographic. You don't like it, fine. It's goddamn *designed* to be basically the furthest thing from what we like. Get over yourselves; it's not for you.
>>
>>71503843

Based Johns is Based.
>>
>>71504576
>I think it's worth remembering that comic book writers are awful

Maybe the stuff you read. I don't read awful comics.
>>
>>71501996
Read the article; that's basically what it is, except instead of teaching the A-B-C's, they'll be learning about the DC universe.

Fine by me, this kind of art appeals to that target demo.
>>
>>71504774
>>71504807
>>71504884
>>71505011
>You just read bad comics.
90% of everything is shit. This'll just be the exception because you say it is?
>>
>>71504326
>Nocenti
Extremely inaccurate.
>>
>>71505056
It's more like 40% shit, 50% mediocre, and 10% great.

I literally never read a shit book accidentally. I'm not sure how you find them so hard to avoid. You need a better quality filter.
>>
>>71505056
...no?
You should simply focus on the 10% instead of constantly bragging OVER AND OVER about that ONE comic being shit.

Also, 90% being shit clearly states there is a 10% chance of this not being shit. So I say be open minded and wait, isntead of calling it shit because you're a bitter fuck.
>>
>>71505084
She is just a derp writer in general
>>
>>71505056
my question is why do you keep reading those 90%, instead of reading the good stuff?
>>
>>71505056
>90% of everything is shit

And you keep reading it.
why?

There is that 10% you could read.
>>
>>71505116
>about that ONE comic being shit.
I was actually thinking of three different ones.
>>
>>71501812
holy fuck that supergirl
NNNF!
>>
>>71501945
Ivy's had antiheroic characteristics for a while now, as has Harley.

People try to push them being villains because status quo every now and again, but it seems to slide off of them.
>>
>>71505155
>>71505177
>>71505096
How do I find the good stuff amongst the shit?
By waiting for DC's press releases?
Because I'm pretty sure they're going to say their shit is good regardless.
>>
>>71505219
One is a terrorist and the other is one of Joker's henchmen
>>
>>71505242
This is a different continuity entirely. The Joker probably won't even exist.
>>
>>71503013
>falling for this low level bait
Sjw confirmed.
>>
This line of merchandise for 7 year old girls immediately segued into yelling about SJWs.

You guys are the absolute fucking worst. Worse than Laissez Faire, worse than Anime Marxists.
>>
Supes, Harley, Ivy, and Bumblee have good designs. The others are pretty bad. Katana's is almost there, it's just that I think that giving her a samurai-dress and a Japanese flag on her face is stupid.
>>
>>71505226
Solicits are usually enough information to tell whether something is bad or not. I'm honestly not sure how you need more than that. How is it not obvious based on the writers or artists?
>>
Correct me if I am wrong, but at the center of this is a toy line with everything else being tied to it? Like Monster Hight and Barbie shit? Not that they are making a new line of comics and from that everythign spinns?
>>
I like some of these designs (Wondy's shoulder pads are great) but some of them (Supergirl) are way too busy.

also
>Harley's hair is blue rather than black
dammit
>>
>>71502675
This is for nine year olds.
>>
>>71505277
>>71504974
Get out of here voices of reason, we have a circle to jerk.
>>
>>71505219
Nah, Ivy is always going to be the crazy plant broad and Harley in the comics is pretty much hated by the mainstream.

They are only anti-heroes/comedic lesbians in comics, you know the place where no one gives a shit about them and even the comic geeks meh at them.

And in the mainstream their 20/10 thelma and louise fuckmeat and or their classy versions from the jlu timmiverse cartoon.
To be honest, I still don't know why they are included but PG Starfire Raven Vixen and Barda are not.
>>
>>71505300
I kind of feel like it's all one thing and they're simply leading with the doll line mostly because I don't see why they would have art rather than a picture of one of the dolls if it was primarily about dolls. And they also mention other toy merchandising like Lego too.
>>
>This thing that aims specifically at young girls to get them into comics is bad because of tumblr

Do you guys even fucking listen to yourselves? What is your life even like where this is what sends you into hysterics?
>>
>>71505283
>Solicits are usually enough information to tell whether something is bad or not.
Is this not a Solicit?
>>
>>71505281
Katanna's costume has been that since her conception. And yeah, it's weeaboo as fuck and the japs love characters like that. So...yeah.
Also, having her included but not Lady Shiva is stupid.
>>
>>71505226
>By waiting for DC's press releases?
Exactly the opposite.

You develop a taste.

If you wait and read only the most hyped stuff (or the stuff /co/ spams the most, which seems to be the case), don't be surprised you end up with shit.

>How do I find the good stuff amongst the shit?
You first have to start LOOKING FOR IT, instead of just listening to idiots on /co/. In the age of information, ignorancy is a choice.
>>
>>71501812
These designs are awful.
>>
>>71505359
No, this is a press release. Solicits are these things:

JUSTICE LEAGUE #42
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by JASON FABOK
TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by DAN HIPP
On sale JULY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
The epic “Darkseid War” event storyline continues with the critically acclaimed team of Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok! As Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor maneuver toward inevitable war, Wonder Woman leads the Justice League against a force that holds the answers on how to stop it – but the price might be Batman’s soul! Meanwhile, Mister Miracle faces off against a mysterious hero who has been fighting in the shadows for decades!
>>
Good luck against Frozen.
>>
>>71505382
No one knows Lady Shiva. Katana has been in recent stuff like BATB and Arrow.
>>
>>71502067
>>71502479
>he actually thinks that's the reason those two are on the team
>>
>>71504692
Parading Finch as great is a new low.
>>
>>71502675
>It's prudish and and censoring their sexuality.
How do you think 6-12 year olds typically dress?
>>
>>71504692
>J. Scott Cambell, David Finch, and Erik Larsen

You guys really do deserve them.
>>
Anything that sticks, huh Mattel?
>>
>>71504692
>Finch
Unless there is another artist named Finch you are wrong. Guy is terrible, his women look like teenage whores
>>
>>71505345
Powergirl and Starfire are too well-known for being overtly sexual. They might have been able to tone that down or use a Starfire like the animated series one, but it would still be an issue if the kids got invested in the characters.

Raven and Barda's backstories might get a bit heavy for little girls; even though this is the "kiddy" version, they will be delving into the characters' origins.

Vixen was probably on the shortlist, but didn't make the final cut for whatever reason.

Also keep in mind that the article said specifically more heroines would be coming, so all of these characters will probably get there eventually.
>>
File: 1424886765010.png (2 MB, 1325x605) Image search: [Google]
1424886765010.png
2 MB, 1325x605
>>71505437
>yfw Marvel shoehorns Elsa into the Marvel universe to counter this
>>
>>71505281
I wish that was Supergirl's regular design, how do comic artists find it so hard these days to make something that looks like a person would actually wear for her?
>>
>>71505359
No, not even close. You'd have to be an idiot to confuse this with a solicit.
>>
>>71505538

Hang on a tick, who makes the Frozen toyline?

Hasbro or Mattel?
>>
>>71505468
May be a little '90s, but he actually draws women nicely, rather than how Pulido or the person who does Squirrel Girl making them look like dudes.
>>
>>71505600
Is this what it feels like to be baited?
>>
I like the concept, and I'm thrilled that DC recognizes that girls/women are a viable market. However, I don't like the "just for girls" wording. I'd hope that these products, etc. could be for boys too. It would be awesome if boys could experience these female characters and find in them role models and inspirations, too.
>>
>>71505620
I feel like it has to be. No one could actually think Finch draws good cheesecake. He is horrible.

At least point out someone like Hughes especially if you're talking about WW.
>>
>>71505624
If someone said that little girls should only read male superheroes for role models there would be an outcry
>>
>>71505624
I can understand this perspective, but I think a lot of it comes down to the parents. Parents are still pretty strict about the boy/girl divide and playing within that system and really driving a line of merch and content that's derived purely for girls is an easier sell than trying to tear down that entire mindset.
>>
>>71505539
Yeah, Supercheerleader is one of those obvious-in-hindsight things.
>>
>>71505650
I picked Finch because they didn't seem to want to make Wonder Woman into the pro-feminist "lul gurl power" symbol, which pissed off Tumblr
>>
>>71505624
It's definitely good that DC is finally taking strides to expand its market. The comic book industry is dying slowly and if the major companies don't make an effort to get more and more people invested in their products, it will die eventually.

As to the second point, boys already buy comics and they could always run a parallel line. Girls are the ones who aren't typically interested so it makes sense that DC would create products specifically designed to get them interested in comics.
>>
>>71505716
But why praise intentions if the end product is shit? Don't lower your standards.
>>
>>71505706
It's not even really hindsight, she used to wear costumes like that all the time pre-Crisis. Supergirl's mishandling post-Crisis is astounding.
>>
>>71505452
She was barely in BatB and she was kinda hated in the Arrow.
Besides, little girls don't watch either of those shows. So who fucking cares.
Lady Shiva sounds cooler, has an easier costume to pull off for little girls, and being the best human female fighter in Dc and one of the three best fighters(who's not super powered and yes karate kid is super powered) period sounds cool.

>>71505528
>Powergirl and Starfire are too well-known for being overtly sexual.
Wait..wait..Those two are more well known for being overtly sexual but fucking harley quinn and poison ivy aren't? Are you fucking kidding?
Anyway
Starfire is more well known then all but superwoman and maybe MAYBE batgirl amongst little girls. And they know of her only as the cutsey tamaranian princess.

PG is basically a total unknown to the casuals.

Raven's backstory in TTGo is handled well and it's basically the most popular show on CN right now.

Barda's backstory can be easily cleaned up, plus her relationship with mr.miracle will be seen as cute by older women and girls,

Vixen's power set would be like candy to little girls who like animals and they all like fucking animals.
>>
>>71505716
So you'll praise Meredith an David Finch's completely terrible art and story just because they said something that wasn't positive about feminism once?

How pathetic can comic fans really get?
>>
>>71501812
>for girls

It's funny because DC's main market would be little boys, but they don't try to appeal to them because their existing market is adult men

Nice logic, retards
>>
>>71505805
They've been making cartoons for boys since the early 90s.
>>
>>71505805
>but they don't try to appeal to them
Who's this Unlimited line for, then?

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/dc-entertainment-to-launch-animated-movies-shorts-around-superhero-toy-lines-exclusive-1201418664/

>in b4 "but it doesn't say just for boys so it does't count"
>>
>>71505624
>However, I don't like the "just for girls" wording.
Why not?
It's for little girls.
It looks like it's for little girls.
Adults and children will recognize it's for little girls.
Are you trying to shame little girls?

Look, we can all find role models and aspirations in anyone, but this is for LITTLE GIRLS, there is nothing NOTHING wrong with it targeting them in particular and I'm pretty damned tired of people like you trying to make them feel bad for enjoying something because boys don't like it too.
>>
>>71505805
They have that shitty toyline with Batman/Flash/Arrow/etc
>>
>>71502940
god dammit. I wish you were wrong.
>>
>>71505242
Both of them have killed shitloads of people, yet no one ever seems to actually care.
>>
File: 4644.jpg (70 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
4644.jpg
70 KB, 248x252
You know what would be nice. More Cape cartoons without resorting to an agenda of muh penis/vagina.

Why does everything now have a PC slant to it? Look at Japan, they just pump out kids cartoons because they can/want to. Why can't this country do the same?
>>
I think it's a step in the right direction, plus it should be interesting to see how they make the characters relatable to little kids. I'm sure it'll be good for a laugh.

I can already imagine parents chuckling at the reimagined pint sized versions of their favorite heroines.
>>
>>71505892
>Agenda

Go home
>>
>>71505892

Because its easier to sell toys in Japan.
>>
>>71505894
Oh great it's here. Abandon thread everyone
>>
>>71505894
lol that looks like a trace of Ben10
>>
>>71505892
Japan literally has genre designations based on target audience, you faggot.
>>
>>71505889
No one likes the comic versions of those characters at all.

They only like the classy femme fatale and bugs bunny tier wacky cunt from the JLU cartoon and the hot bad bitches who barely know each other from the arkham games.

Everything else is utterly ignored, and for good reason.
>>
>>71505988
>No one likes the comic versions of those characters at all.
That's why the Harley Quinn book is usually a top ten seller, right? Nobody actually likes her?
>>
File: Kid_Stuff.png (157 KB, 448x250) Image search: [Google]
Kid_Stuff.png
157 KB, 448x250
>>71505935
Don't hate... congradulate!
>>71505942
haha, yep ;-)
>>
Okay, I'm gonna say this real slow for all you folk getting butt hurt about this; DC HAS TO KEEP PACE WITH DISNEY/MARVEL. That's it. It's about fucking dollars.
>>
>>71505988

Harley is well on her way to becoming DC's most popular female character.
>>
>>71506038
>>
>>71505892
>Look at Japan, they just pump out kids cartoons because they can/want to
Yeah shonen and shoujo don't target gender demographics!
>>
>>71506059

Yeah, we know.

Does someone not know that by now?
>>
>>71505988
>No one likes the comic versions of those characters at all.

Is this why it is a top ten bestseller? Because nobody likes it?
>>
>>71506069
LOL, ok you win.
>>
>>71506091
everyone in this thread who criticizes this for being too feminist "despite us having next to no storyline details" or too kiddy is obviously unwilling to accept it
>>
>>71505624
>It would be awesome if boys could experience these female characters and find in them role models and inspirations, too.

Listen you simp, human biology does not work that way. Boys look up to adult males as their role models not women. And we've seen how horribly maladjusted and emasculated men who are forced to grow up like this end up. It is a literal crime against the species to subject a boy to see a female as his role model. Perverts and wankers who lust for straight shota trash? They don't count for shit.
>>
>>71506141
to bad she is a robot
>>
>>71505892
>what are magical girls
>>
>>71506172

Hm. How odd.

Cuz seriously, this is one of the most blatant merchandise grabs I've ever seen.
>>
This in no way affects or bothers me. Unless they give Bumblebee shrinking powers, then it will earn my eternal ire.
>>
>>71506172
Shit those were supposed to be parentheses now I'm a sarcastic dickwad

>>71506237
A merchandise grab which is intended to bring in a new demographic.
>>
>>71506027
How many people do you actually see discussing that book or whereing the harley quinn comic costume at cons?
FUCKING NO ONE!?
THAT'S A SHOCK!

Oh, and that thing tracks how many issues comic stores buy not how many are actually bought by comic readers.
>>
>>71504326

thanks doc
>>
File: 123.png (580 KB, 1394x702) Image search: [Google]
123.png
580 KB, 1394x702
>>71505756
Finch may not be my favorite artist, but in today's climate, drawing sexy women is an act of resistance. Anyone who does it gets my respect for not bowing to the demands of rainbow-haired landwhales.
>>
>>71506331
>Oh, and that thing tracks how many issues comic stores buy not how many are actually bought by comic readers.
It wouldn't be high numbers every single month for over a year if nobody was preordering it or buying it off the shelves, ding dong

Do you think shops just buy extra copies so they'll have big unwanted piles of books laying around?
>>
>>71506360
How's GamerGate going boss?
>>
>>71506331
They correct for returns and reprints
>>
>>71506068
>Harley is well on her way to becoming DC's most popular female character.

On what planet are you living?
Starfire and Raven are their most popular female characters right now.
JLU Harley and Arkham Harley are popular but not that popular. Oh and comic harley is not liked at all.
>>
>>71506360
>drawing sexy women is an act of resistance
So call me when he starts doing that.
>>
>>71506360
Honestly I think those are both ugly pictures. Neither artist can draw a proper face.

>>71506380
Don't start that shit here
>>
>>71505892
Who says Japan doesn't do the same shit? Japan is a very conformist culture. So this is why most of the time in anime/manga about anti-social people the ending is that they find the magical unique ever sooo special girl that will make them become good contributers to society and pay their taxes. Japan has it's own brand of propaganda.

That and how often they have female characters brutally beat up males for little to no reason (while daring to call themselves the guy's friend) and never get beat up right back makes anime a major turn off. So sick of that cliche to the point the authors ought to be castrated for it (and I include female authors like that bitch who created Full Metal Alchemist).
>>
>>71506360
That image is stupid, neither of those women are hot
>>
>>71506369
Then show me the numbers for BUYERS not comic store buyers. Look, the comic version is not given a shit about in the mainstream.
Even amongst comic fans she's seen as a bit of a hanger on.

>>71506383
No they don't.
>>
>>71506397
>On what planet are you living?
>Starfire and Raven are their most popular female characters right now.
Do you live in 2005?

Have you ever looked at any recent con cosplay group shots? There may not be many Harley Quinns with the current comic costume but there is a FUCKLOAD with her BTAS outfit and the Arkham & Injustice costumes.
>>
>>71506360
I said it once and I will say it again. Jailbait Wonder Woman is the hottest she has looked in /years/ and Azzfags need to get over the butthurt.
>>
>>71506380
Go to bed, Mark Waid.
>>
>>71501812
I have some problems with this
1. it is marketing itself only to girls, shouldn't DC be making a kids line for all kids (marketing to one sex in and of itself sexist, even if it is females or males). I mean current stuff is for Teens or older with current comics and with this upcoming line for young girls, what about young boys. If I had a kid I assure you he/she would probably not be reading a lot of the regular DC comics because of some of the violence and language depicted in before something about feminism and sexist thoughts

2. DC using Harley and Ivy, established villains as heroines when they have all these other great heroes to choose from, Zatanna, Star Saphire, Starfire, Black Canary, Artemis, Mera, and more
>>
>>71506470
Are you entirely unaware of Teen Titans Go!!, or are you just ignorant of the concept of demographics?
>>
>There's someone in this thread that actually likes Finch's women

Amanda Connor >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Finch
>>
>>71506507
>2. DC using Harley and Ivy, established villains as heroines when they have all these other great heroes to choose from, Zatanna, Star Saphire, Starfire, Black Canary, Artemis, Mera, and more
It's like you did not even read the thread the characters shown here are the tip of the ice berg
>>
>>71502242
to be fair Jessica Cruz had her origin re-worked she's Power Ring now, but yeah she could have worked too
>>
We can't sell girls actual superheroes and superheroines. We need to put them in a separate pink frilly corner while the boys play with the 'real' DC Comics.

[This is what DC Comics and Warners actually believe in 2015]
>>
File: JUSTL_Cv42_R1.jpg?1429639193.jpg (444 KB, 791x1200) Image search: [Google]
JUSTL_Cv42_R1.jpg?1429639193.jpg
444 KB, 791x1200
>>71506490
This is much hotter than Finch WW imo
>>
>>71506507

>1. it is marketing itself only to girls, shouldn't DC be making a kids line for all kids (marketing to one sex in and of itself sexist, even if it is females or males).

They already have a line for boys. That one that keeps getting DTV movies.

There will never be a unisex toyline. Ask Paul Dini.
>>
>>71506507
I can't agree with your #1 fully. That's just how toy sales work. They do need a comparable line for boys too I think, but there's nothing wrong with making one specifically for girls.
>>
>>71506579
To a large degree, they're not wrong.
>>
>>71506580
It is.
>>
>>71506470
2015 actually, and yeah, amongst the target demo THEY ARE THE MOST POPULAR.

There is no way in hell adult women who want to play the fuck hot damaged chick/slutty chick are going to walk around looking like conservative heroines for little girls.

It's the equivalent of me working out 24/7 running lifting and eating well and then go to a con in a bob the builder costume instead of conan.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.